"Battery Empty" problem with OM-D10 Mk.II

Started Dec 28, 2017 | Questions
vlad2304 Regular Member • Posts: 387
"Battery Empty" problem with OM-D10 Mk.II

Hello!

This summer I have bought a new grey market OM-D10 Mk.II and made no more than 100 photos with it. For some time it was lying in the drawer with the battery in it. Last week I decided to play with it, switched it on and noticed that something is wrong: the exposure level shows -3 and won't change, buttons don't work and finally I've got a screen with red empty battery. I thought: "OK, it's time to charge the battery". After it was fully charged (it took an hour or so and I thought that it was not completely empty) the story repeated only once and then all I could get was the empty red battery on the screen for 15 seconds and then it switched off.

It looked like my original battery died and I ordered from Amazon a couple of "Powerextra" batteries that had very good reviews from verified customers. Today I have received them only to see the same old red empty battery screen. Sure, I have fully charged the first one and the second is in the charger now.

I decided to check the camera with different lens, with or without memory card in it - the same result.

While changing lenses I have noticed strange thing (to me, at least): the sensor was covered with the curtain (see photo). As long as I remember it is usually exposed on most of mirrorless cameras that I used to have.

If you have any idea what is wrong and how to solve this problem, your input is highly appreciated.

vlad2304's gear list:vlad2304's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Canon PowerShot G5 X Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH
ANSWER:
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 1,734
Re: "Battery Empty" problem with OM-D10 Mk.II

Everything you are describing sounds like a camera that lost power during an exposure, (the sensor should be visible). Seems like the answer would be what you've done which is put in a charged battery and the camera will complete it's cycle. Is there any possibility your charger is not working? Contacts dirty in the camera battery compartment? Maybe take it to a camera store and swap your batteries into a similar camera to make sure they are charged or swap one of their charged batteries into your camera.

mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
darg Regular Member • Posts: 440

You did several bad thing s with a new camera and also new battery.

1. The cam has an internal battery that buffers date, time and some other volatile settings when changing the power battery. This battery needs to be charged via the power battery that, as I understood it charged once, shot a couple of shots and let it sit in it until self-discharge emptied the power battery down to nothing since the cam still consumes some to charge the internal and keep settings since that battery has priority. I would leave a new, charged battery in it for some days and see if it normalizes and the message gets away. Don't turn the cam on, just let it sit with a power battery in it for some days.

2. New batteries need some charge/discharge cycles before they developed full capacity. You never gave that original one that exercise so it died on you.

That the shutter is closed is normal for a cam that has no power applied to it, saying no battery in it and the internal battery empty. This how my EP3, EM10ii and also my Panasonic GM1 came delivered. This seems to be a factory setup since they only did that when brand new. They don't do that anymore.

Charge one of the new batteries to be safe and have known good charge in it and see if it comes after a time.

-- hide signature --

When in doubt, C4
KJ6EPH

darg's gear list:darg's gear list
Canon PowerShot A80 Olympus E-500 Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a7 II +12 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.

Sorry but none of the above has ever been carried out by 99% of the population owning a camera.

Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0

By-the-way, I own the same camera and I just did a test for you, I put in an almost dead battery, let it run down then I turned it from off to on and it closed the curtain and looks exactly like the picture you posted.

OP vlad2304 Regular Member • Posts: 387

mfinley wrote:

By-the-way, I own the same camera and I just did a test for you, I put in an almost dead battery, let it run down then I turned it from off to on and it closed the curtain and looks exactly like the picture you posted.

Thank you for youк effort!

I will leave the camera for a couple of days with the charged battery and see what happens.

Sigma dp2 Quattro Canon PowerShot G5 X Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH
Alan Kett
Alan Kett Regular Member • Posts: 227

Vlad:

It sounds like you've got a power drain in the camera, even when powered down.

I own a E-M10.2. I like it so much I bought an second body. It was an official Olympus refurb from the Olympus USA site when they were selling for $299. When it arrived, I put in an fully charged Oly battery, took some test shots and then set it down. 24hrs later, when powered up, the battery was dead. I put a second fully charged battery in, took more test shots and set it aside. On powering up 24hrs later, same outcome: dead battery. I concluded there was a power drain in the body and returned it to Oly inside the return period.

I can't speak to the shutter behavior, but I'd suggest your camera needs to go to an Oly repair facility for diagnosis and repair. You've got a body problem, not a battery problem.

Alan

Alan Kett's gear list:Alan Kett's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X30 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Canon EOS 7D +23 more

Alan Kett wrote:

Vlad:

It sounds like you've got a power drain in the camera, even when powered down.

I own a E-M10.2. I like it so much I bought an second body. It was an official Olympus refurb from the Olympus USA site when they were selling for $299. When it arrived, I put in an fully charged Oly battery, took some test shots and then set it down. 24hrs later, when powered up, the battery was dead. I put a second fully charged battery in, took more test shots and set it aside. On powering up 24hrs later, same outcome: dead battery. I concluded there was a power drain in the body and returned it to Oly inside the return period.

I can't speak to the shutter behavior, but I'd suggest your camera needs to go to an Oly repair facility for diagnosis and repair. You've got a body problem, not a battery problem.

Alan

Alan:

I am afraid I have different case - your camera worked for some time after you installed fresh battery, mine does not. Plus (or I should say "minus"), my Oly is grey market and has no US warranty. I will wait for a day or two while it stays switched off with fully charged battery with my fingers crossed.

darg Regular Member • Posts: 440

mfinley wrote:

Sorry but none of the above has ever been carried out by 99% of the population owning a camera.

Not intentionally but people normally use their camera which leads to another charge cycle which is just the beginning of normal use. Opening it up, doing some test shots and not using it afterwards for a longer time is not what 99% of the population are doing.

-- hide signature --

When in doubt, C4
KJ6EPH

darg's gear list:darg's gear list
Canon PowerShot A80 Olympus E-500 Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony a7 II +12 more
geejay101 Regular Member • Posts: 185

Hi Vlad,

I have the same problem. What was the outcome of this?

Cheers

Geejay

geejay101's gear list:geejay101's gear list
Sigma DP1x Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more

geejay101 wrote:

Hi Vlad,

Cheers

Geejay

Hi,

The camera is still collecting dust. I think I have 2 options:

1 - to sell it on Ebay as it is;

2 - to send it to Olympus for repair, paying around  $150, and than sell it on Ebay.

I am torn in between.

Shadowfixer Senior Member • Posts: 1,393

Try a different battery. Maybe the battery is faulty and not the camera.

Shadowfixer's gear list:Shadowfixer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens +1 more

Shadowfixer wrote:

Try a different battery. Maybe the battery is faulty and not the camera.

I have tried 3 different batteries and 2 chargers.

Aberaeron Veteran Member • Posts: 6,849

vlad2304 wrote:

geejay101 wrote:

Hi Vlad,

Cheers

Geejay

Hi,

2 - to send it to Olympus for repair, paying around $150, and than sell it on Ebay.

I am torn in between.

I'd send it in for repair. As it sits there, it is a complete waste of your original expenditure. You might as well have lost it on the horses. Repair it and it will cost you $150 more, which probably wipes out any initial savings you thought you had made, but at least you will have a working camera to use and/or sell.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +19 more

Aberaeron wrote:

vlad2304 wrote:

geejay101 wrote:

Hi Vlad,

Cheers

Geejay

Hi,

2 - to send it to Olympus for repair, paying around $150, and than sell it on Ebay.

I am torn in between.

I'd send it in for repair. As it sits there, it is a complete waste of your original expenditure. You might as well have lost it on the horses. Repair it and it will cost you $150 more, which probably wipes out any initial savings you thought you had made, but at least you will have a working camera to use and/or sell.

You are right.

I was also leaning to this solution. Maybe, I will even keep it after repair.

So, I've sent the camera to Olympus USA and for $139 they repaired it - changed the main board.

The lesson for me - buy things with local warranty

Kizilcik New Member • Posts: 1

hello, my machine has the same problem. I switched off my machine normally and charge the battery. I get the battery empty error when I insert the battery. does this definitely have a motherboard problem? I didn't have a chance to experiment with a different battery.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads