Panasonic menu headache

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
rponiarski Regular Member • Posts: 350
Panasonic menu headache

OK, so even though I really like the OMD E-M1ii, I am still thinking about the Panasonic G9, but am concerned about the menus. I was at Adorama and handled a GH5 (the G9 wasn't available), but I figure the menu system should be very similar. So it was set to silent shutter and e-shutter, but I wanted to hear the mechanical shutter, so I set it on single shot and went into the menu and selected mechanical shutter. Took a shot and then tried to get a second shot, but it was completely silent. It had gone back to silent mode and e-shutter. Tried a second time, but the same thing happened.

Now I realize this could be a problem with that particular camera, but is there a way to make sure you use a mechanical shutter and not go back to an old setting, or am I being a bit obtuse and missing something simple. Help!

-- hide signature --

Richard M. Poniarski
Not a speaker for anyone but myself.
"Everyone is entitled to the reality of their own choice"

rponiarski's gear list:rponiarski's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 14,784
Re: Panasonic menu headache

I don't know what you did but reassured that once you learn the camera it won't happen.

-- hide signature --

Recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Sranang Boi Senior Member • Posts: 1,281

A problem with that particular camera? Have you discounted the possibility of a problem with that particular user?

Sranang Boi's gear list:Sranang Boi's gear list
Leica V-LUX 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more
jrsforums Contributing Member • Posts: 861

You can put the silent shutter setting in ‘my menu’ to find it easy, assign it to a function button, or, on the G9, assign to the front function switch.

Michael1000 Senior Member • Posts: 1,192

Sranang Boi wrote:

A problem with that particular camera? Have you discounted the possibility of a problem with that particular user?

Real helpful.  (face palm)

rponiarski wrote:

OK, so even though I really like the OMD E-M1ii, I am still thinking about the Panasonic G9, but am concerned about the menus. I was at Adorama and handled a GH5 (the G9 wasn't available), but I figure the menu system should be very similar. So it was set to silent shutter and e-shutter, but I wanted to hear the mechanical shutter, so I set it on single shot and went into the menu and selected mechanical shutter. Took a shot and then tried to get a second shot, but it was completely silent. It had gone back to silent mode and e-shutter. Tried a second time, but the same thing happened.

Now I realize this could be a problem with that particular camera, but is there a way to make sure you use a mechanical shutter and not go back to an old setting, or am I being a bit obtuse and missing something simple. Help!

-- hide signature --

Richard M. Poniarski

I don't have the GH5, but I was curious about this, and looked through the manual.  It says to set it in Rec, Shutter Type, ESHTR.  I thought I would confirm that that is where you set it.  It doesn't mention in the manual about changing back to the Mechanical or Electronic Front Curtain, nor does it seem like the engineers would program it that way.  Some people need to shoot multiple pictures in silent mode so as to not disturb anyone, such as at weddings.

Sranang Boi Senior Member • Posts: 1,281

Still living in denial?

Sranang Boi's gear list:Sranang Boi's gear list
Leica V-LUX 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more

Sranang Boi wrote:

Still living in denial?

Congratulations.  You are now on my Ignore List.  Don't bother responding.  I won't see it.

OP rponiarski Regular Member • Posts: 350

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

I don't know what you did but reassured that once you learn the camera it won't happen.

-- hide signature --

I don't know what I did either, that's the problem. If I knew, I could avoid that. Maybe someone here does know...

-- hide signature --

Richard M. Poniarski

Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more

jrsforums wrote:

You can put the silent shutter setting in ‘my menu’ to find it easy, assign it to a function button, or, on the G9, assign to the front function switch.

Yeah, that sounds good, but what about if I dpn't want the silent shutter mode? I prefer the mechanical, and when I set it to mechanical in the GH5's menu, after one shot the e-shutter was back on, even though I didn't want it to be!

-- hide signature --

Richard M. Poniarski

Walt Palmer
Walt Palmer Contributing Member • Posts: 624

Don't have camera available (it's in Texas at the moment), but On the GX85 I seem to remember there are several shooting modes that default to Electronic shutter. Check to see if the camera is in a "fun mode". Also, on the GX85, selecting a shutter speed above 1/4000th will be shot with electronic shutter - not sure how that would be changed for a single shot though. Finally, did you check for elves on the shelves? How have you been this past year? Maybe you've been worse than you thought and the elves saw you.

-- hide signature --

Old enough that my two cents used to be worth something.

alcelc
alcelc Veteran Member • Posts: 8,221

Very often the demo model in showroom would have been messed up too much making tester hard to customize it to his/her usable status. If a few menu dipping won;t work, I'll try to reset it back to its default status, and set it up again in a form which is familiar to me to test it.

Not owned GH5 (GHs are too large and heavy for me), but according to the tradition of Panny most of them should be operated in the similar logical manner.

According to P.217 of the pdf user manual of GH5, same as other Pany models, under the Rec Menu / Shutter Type, we can set it to either "Auto" (select by the camera upon the recording condition and shutter speed in used), "MSHTR", "EFC" or "ESHTR". Once it has been selected, the camera would stick with the shutter type until your change it again.

To save the trouble to go through the lengthy Menu everytime, we can also assign the option to any of the 11 hard/soft buttons (P.60 of pdf manual), any one of the 15 items of Q.Menu (P.227 of Manual), or under My Menu (? a new thing to me). So princiapply it is as easy as a hit of the button, and touch LCD or use the cursor button to select the option you wanted.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more

I figured that it was somewhat messed up, but I had hoped that it was a bit easier than having to reset it. Putting on a function button sounds interesting and may be what I decide to do if I go for the G9 over the E-M1ii.

-- hide signature --

Richard M. Poniarski

JosephScha Veteran Member • Posts: 5,225

According to what I've read the little control to the lower left of the lens mount, on the front of the camera, by default control mechanical shutter (1 dot) or (2 dots) silent mode, which is e-shutter and also no audible feedback.

Perhaps the control was set to the two dot position, and it went back to that.

-- hide signature --

js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +6 more
jrsforums Contributing Member • Posts: 861

The settings on a new camera is a learning experience.  I have had the gh5 almost a year and am sure there are many things still to learn, mess up, recustomize, etc.

Shutter has three modes: mechanical, 1st curtain mechanical,electronic.  It can be set to any of these or ‘auto’, which will select best mode to avoid any shutter shock based on settings.  These can be set/changed in menus my menu, or quick menu.  Shutter type can also be set to a function button which will pop up screen to select type. I would suggest auto, but...YMMV

Electronic can be set, and adjusted, to have sound.  Personal taste....at first I did not like it, now find it often helpful.

Silent is electronic without noise.  As I said earlier, it can be set to a binary (on/off) button, switch, or selected in menu.  Whatever setting of shutter, ‘silent on’ will make shutter electronic with no sound.  ‘Silent off’ will return to original settings

dezinerd
dezinerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,069

After years with Nikon I went with Oly, epl1,epl6, em5. Thought I wanted more video and bought a used GH3 and then a GX8. So I hoped for less confusion in the menus it did not happen for me. I might be on overload. My thinking is all these cameras are so customizable and have so many functions that are programable that there will always be the why is it doing that and what did I change to cause it. The fact that you dont get a printed advanced manual but a dumbed down basic does not help. Having the advanced manual on my desktop in pdf wont help when I am at a location away from that machine.

I bought David Thorp's GX8 menu guide and found it to be very helpful. It was quite inexpensive on Amazon. I have no connection to the author or vendor. I was resitant to this but am now rethinking how I might have been helped by other guides for previous cameras. It is distressing that an 1k$ camera won't include instruction for all features in a compact print booklet. Online does not count as many places that I like to take my cams to are offline. I would say brown paper box could cut price enough to pay for full documentation.

-- hide signature --

Dennis

dezinerd's gear list:dezinerd's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Nikon D700 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 14,784

The fact that you dont get a printed advanced manual but a dumbed down basic does not help. Having the advanced manual on my desktop in pdf wont help when I am at a location away from that machine.

Interesting how we all see things differently IMHO the replacement of paper manuals with PDF has been a fantastic move.  I have a copy on my phone, my tablet and my desktop PC.  I am never without one.  My paper ones used to sit in my bedside cabinet,  never with me when I needed it.  Finding any particular item in a 400 page paper manual was a nightmare and now I have great search facilities that don't rely on how the indexer was seeing things on a specific day.  In truth reasons to reference the manual are rare because I know the menus so well but it does happen.

-- hide signature --

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads