RX0 overheating

Started Dec 24, 2017 | Discussions
khaledgawdat Regular Member • Posts: 382
RX0 overheating

I wanted to video record my Son's masters defence. I thought that the RX0 is quite small and will not be offending to the faculty of I use it. The camera was perfect for that purpose and I was using the MP4 format recording until after 18 minutes in the middle of his presentation over heating and the camera stoped. I used my olympus em1 MK2 to continue recording and for 2 hours no over heating. I also used the RX0 when the over heating cooled and the length of fottage progressively decreased before overheating again until the battery was dead after one hour. Comparing the footage with the olympus one showed a huge difference in quality. I expected some difference but this was day and night. RX0 is the most disappointing sony camera I ever owned.

No image stabilization, no time lapse, no lens apertures only f4 fixed, no autofocus in video, overheating. What a trap.

-- hide signature --

Get a life, before it is too late.
K.Gawdat

khaledgawdat's gear list:khaledgawdat's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1 Sigma dp3 Quattro +108 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sludge21017
sludge21017 Senior Member • Posts: 2,572
Re: RX0 overheating

Thanks for stating the obvious.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 47,988

khaledgawdat wrote:

I wanted to video record my Son's masters defence. I thought that the RX0 is quite small and will not be offending to the faculty of I use it. The camera was perfect for that purpose and I was using the MP4 format recording until after 18 minutes in the middle of his presentation over heating and the camera stoped. I used my olympus em1 MK2 to continue recording and for 2 hours no over heating. I also used the RX0 when the over heating cooled and the length of fottage progressively decreased before overheating again until the battery was dead after one hour. Comparing the footage with the olympus one showed a huge difference in quality. I expected some difference but this was day and night. RX0 is the most disappointing sony camera I ever owned.

No image stabilization, no time lapse, no lens apertures only f4 fixed, no autofocus in video, overheating. What a trap.

I'm not surprised at the overheating because the camera is so small. There is no way to properly heat sink it. Everything you say about the camera is why I have previously questioned why anybody would want one considering the price (except maybe as a spy cam).

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
OP khaledgawdat Regular Member • Posts: 382

I originally bought it for street photography in crowded or photography hostile area. 24 mm equiv zeiss, 1 inch sensor small form factor. even at that it might not work as I have not liked any of the pictures so far. There is something not right about the lens, I can not pinpoint it but I just do not like the pictures.

-- hide signature --

Get a life, before it is too late.
K.Gawdat

khaledgawdat's gear list:khaledgawdat's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX1 Sigma dp3 Quattro +108 more
tbcass

khaledgawdat wrote:

I originally bought it for street photography in crowded or photography hostile area. 24 mm equiv zeiss, 1 inch sensor small form factor. even at that it might not work as I have not liked any of the pictures so far. There is something not right about the lens, I can not pinpoint it but I just do not like the pictures.

Basically you wanted a spy camera. It's still good for that.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Nestorin New Member • Posts: 1

khaledgawdat wrote:

I got one and find It very useful, specially for travel, snorkel and every time I want better pictures than my smarth phone.

Really pocket camera, one inch sensor, rectilinear shock proof, water proof, wifi.

DrFzs Regular Member • Posts: 208

Very useful pocket size body.

DrFzs's gear list:DrFzs's gear list
Sony DSC-RX0 II Sony SLT-A58 Sony a99 II Sony a7C Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +16 more
tbcass

Underexposed but a nice shot just the same. How did you manage to get so close? I lightened the photo a bit.

-- hide signature --

Tom

DrFzs Regular Member • Posts: 208

tbcass wrote:

Underexposed but a nice shot just the same. How did you manage to get so close? I lightened the photo a bit.

These is my 10 years old goshawk.

My hobby is the falconry.

Thanks the picture correction.

Cheers:

Dr. FZs

DrFzs's gear list:DrFzs's gear list
Sony DSC-RX0 II Sony SLT-A58 Sony a99 II Sony a7C Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +16 more
tbcass

DrFzs wrote:

These is my 10 years old goshawk.

My hobby is the falconry.

Thanks the picture correction.

Cheers:

Dr. FZs

OK so it's not a wild bird.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Andy873 Regular Member • Posts: 460

Nestorin wrote:

khaledgawdat wrote:

I got one and find It very useful, specially for travel, snorkel and every time I want better pictures than my smarth phone.

Really pocket camera, one inch sensor, rectilinear shock proof, water proof, wifi.

1" sensor at f/4 is equivalent to 1/2" sensor at f/2, which is also equivalent to 1/2.5" sensor at f/1.8, which is incidentally, what most flagship phones have.

tbcass

Andy873 wrote:

1" sensor at f/4 is equivalent to 1/2" sensor at f/2, which is also equivalent to 1/2.5" sensor at f/1.8, which is incidentally, what most flagship phones have.

Does the RX0 have a glass compound lens? Smartphones have crappy plastic lenses.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass wrote:

Andy873 wrote:

Does the RX0 have a glass compound lens? Smartphones have crappy plastic lenses.

Why exactly is glass better than plastic? From a physics and optics perspective of course.

tbcass

Plastic has to be a lot thicker to equal the index of refraction of glass. With glass different substances are added to the different lens elements to reduce CA. Glass is more resistant to scratches. There are reasons why plastic is not used in good lenses despite the fact that they would be much lighter. Glass has superior optical properties.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass wrote:

Plastic has to be a lot thicker to equal the index of refraction of glass. With glass different substances are added to the different lens elements to reduce CA. Glass is more resistant to scratches. There are reasons why plastic is not used in good lenses despite the fact that they would be much lighter. Glass has superior optical properties.

Thickness does not affect index of refraction...

Plastic has lower index of refraction which decreases CA without the need for additives.

What's the point of resisting scratch when it's inside the housing and doesn't ever come in contact with anything else?

What superior optical properties? You haven't answered the question except with some false assumptions.

tbcass

I guess I don’t know the reason. It seems logical to me that if plastic was as good as glass it would be used in good lenses. As I said previously in good lenses several different types of glass with different refractive properties are used along with anti reflective coatings. Maybe this cannot be done with plastic.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass wrote:

I guess I don’t know the reason. It seems logical to me that if plastic was as good as glass it would be used in good lenses. As I said previously in good lenses several different types of glass with different refractive properties are used along with anti reflective coatings. Maybe this cannot be done with plastic.

Because camera lenses are not phone lenses, there are some reasons plastic is not as good but ONLY FOR BIG LENSES.

• The lens does come in contact with things on a big lens, so it does need to be scratch resistant
  • Even the internal elements must be manually handled inspected and assembled so they also can't be that easy to scratch
  • big lenses with big housing need to account for thermal expansion, which plastic has more of
  • Molding plastic isn't significantly cheaper than molding glass when you're trying to make a cheap lens.

Even good lenses don't have more than 3 types of glass, most have two. and yes there are different types of "plastic" with different refraction indexes you can combines for optical needs.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads