iPhone photo filename with letter "e"

Started Dec 22, 2017 | Discussions
10sj03 Regular Member • Posts: 433
iPhone photo filename with letter "e"

The iPhone photo file names are usually IMG_#### but some are IMG_E####, and seem to be duplicates. Any knows why? Thanks.

Joe

AikenMooney Senior Member • Posts: 2,079
Re: iPhone photo filename with letter "e"

10sj03 wrote:

The iPhone photo file names are usually IMG_#### but some are IMG_E####, and seem to be duplicates. Any knows why? Thanks.

Joe

I believe that is the new format.

OP 10sj03 Regular Member • Posts: 433
Re: iPhone photo filename with letter "e"

AikenMooney wrote:

10sj03 wrote:

The iPhone photo file names are usually IMG_#### but some are IMG_E####, and seem to be duplicates. Any knows why? Thanks.

Joe

I believe that is the new format.

On what condition does the iPhone decide to include two files per photo? The file with E in the name only happens on a few photos. Most of them are just a single file per photo.

AikenMooney Senior Member • Posts: 2,079
Re: iPhone photo filename with letter "e"

10sj03 wrote:

AikenMooney wrote:

10sj03 wrote:

The iPhone photo file names are usually IMG_#### but some are IMG_E####, and seem to be duplicates. Any knows why? Thanks.

Joe

I believe that is the new format.

On what condition does the iPhone decide to include two files per photo? The file with E in the name only happens on a few photos. Most of them are just a single file per photo.

Sorry, can't help you with that.

Fred K
Fred K Regular Member • Posts: 338
Re: iPhone photo filename with letter "e"
1

If you take a photo in black and white or anything other than the original color version, the "edited" version has an E in the file name and the non-edited version appears without the E. Eg, IMG_E2976.jpg (black and white version) and IMG_2976.jpg  (original colour version).

-- hide signature --

Dr Fred Kavalier
London UK and Wellfleet, MA
www.kavalier.org.uk

AikenMooney Senior Member • Posts: 2,079
Re: iPhone photo filename with letter "e"

Fred K wrote:

If you take a photo in black and white or anything other than the original color version, the "edited" version has an E in the file name and the non-edited version appears without the E. Eg, IMG_E2976.jpg (black and white version) and IMG_2976.jpg (original colour version).

Thanks, now I know.

ApacheCleric New Member • Posts: 1
Re: iPhone photo filename with letter "e"

Fred K wrote:

If you take a photo in black and white or anything other than the original color version, the "edited" version has an E in the file name and the non-edited version appears without the E. Eg, IMG_E2976.jpg (black and white version) and IMG_2976.jpg (original colour version).

This is not the case I haven't edited any of my files and they all have duplicates one with just the number and a duplicate with a E in front. When I look at the ones with an "E" they seem to be zoomed in a little bit compared to the other one. But it is NOT because I edited them.

NauticalMac New Member • Posts: 12
Re: iPhone photo filename with letter "e"

This is pretty interesting. I took a shot using 'Portrait' mode on my new iPhone XS. Selecting Copy and convert to DNG on import to Lightroom, I got two images, IMG_Ennnn.JPG and IMG_nnnn.DNG. The subject was a close-up of some fall maple leaves against a forest background. The DNG file had the leaves and background both in reasonable focus. The 'E' jpeg had the leaves in focus and the background nicely out of focus, the effect I was looking for as if the aperture was opened up. Looking at the photo in 'Photos' on my phone, it was the 'E' version with a 3-D cube symbol and 'PORTRAIT' showing at the top of the screen.

 NauticalMac's gear list:NauticalMac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +3 more
NauticalMac New Member • Posts: 12
Re: iPhone photo filename with letter "e"

Update: looking at the 'E' picture more closely I can see that the photo was processed in the phone to make the effect. Unfortunately it had some very undesirable effects, as if it tried to blend two photographs together, one in focus one not. It did a bad job of isolating my 'subject' (maple leaves), leaving them disconnected from there supporting twigs and removing, e.g. droplets of water attached to them. I suppose I can't complain as it wasn't a portrait, however it seems that Apple is trying to be a bit too clever, rather than just widening the aperture to isolators the subject from the background.

 NauticalMac's gear list:NauticalMac's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +3 more
Chris_Bar New Member • Posts: 1
Re: iPhone photo filename with letter "e"

If you edit a photo on your iPhone, the edited version has the "E" in the file name, while the original version is without the "E". For example, IMG_E1234.JPG is the edited version of the original IMG_1234.JPG file. The iPhone will also have a .AAE file for the photo (eg. IMG_1234.AAE), which contains all of the edits done to the photo. These extra files are used by the iPhone to enable reverting the edited photo back to the original quickly and easily. If you want to copy the edited versions of your photos to a PC or MAC, you can look for the "E" files and copy these instead of the original photos (without the "E" in the filename).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads