Seven scientific theories

Started Dec 19, 2017 | Discussions
Dutch Newchurch
Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,716
Seven scientific theories
2

I'm setting this up as the next series after the 'Seven secular sermons' challenges.

I'm posting the full series in advance here to give you plenty of time to work on some imaginative entries.

Imagine you have been asked to provide one or two creative and inspirational illustrations for a science textbook, on one or more of these themes.

.

1 The theory of gravity

(opens 16 January 2018)

An apple falling from a tree?

A musket ball and a cannonball dropped from the leaning tower of Pisa?

A satellite in orbit?

A rocket blasting off?

Gravitational lensing around a black hole?

Illustrate gravity!

.

2 The physics of waves

(opens 23 January 2018)

A Marshall stack turned up to 11 (sound waves)?

The colours in a film of oil (light waves)?

A rainbow (the wave theory of light)?

The destruction of an earthquake (primary, secondary and surface waves)?

Ripples as a stone into a pond?

The collision of two black holes generating gravitational waves?

(Holiday snaps of ocean waves breaking will be disqualified.)

.

3 Newton's laws of motion

(opens 30 January 2018)

A spacecraft in free fall (the first law)?

A dragster burning rubber (the second law)?

A heeling yacht (the third law)?

An interceptor with flaming afterburners (the second or third law)?

A cannon firing (the third or second law)?

.

4 The laws of thermodynamics

(opens 6 February 2018)

A fighter jet climbing, on full reheat (first law)?

A forest fire (second law)?

Liquid helium (third law)?

A fireman shovelling coal into a steam engine's boiler (first law)?

.

5 Natural selection

(opens 13 February 2018)

A spider in its web?

A cheetah bringing down its prey?

A zebra outrunning a lioness?

Stags locking antlers in the rutting season?

A wasp paralysing a caterpillar?

A camel in the desert?

A polar bear hunting in the ice?

The theme is 'natural selection', not simply 'wildlife'. Show natural adaptation to survive and reproduce.

.

6 Chaos theory

(opens 20 February 2018)

Complexity comes from simple mathematical rules.

Minor variations in the starting position may result in very different results.

Chaos theory may describe unpredictable events.

Storms?

Fractal patterns in nature (ferns, ice crystals, forked lightning, the self-similarity of coastlines)?

A horse race?

Snapshots of butterflies will be disqualified.

.

7 The periodic table

(opens 27 February 2018)

Blue fireworks (copper)?

Orange neon signs?

An exhausted runner panting at the end of the race (oxygen)?

A meteor (iron)?

The surface of the sun (hydrogen)?

A stoker shovelling coal (carbon)?

A fast jet's exhaust glowing orange (nickel)?

I may thin out entries, at my discretion, if (for example) there are several shots of gold jewellery or silver coins.

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

JahnG
JahnG Senior Member • Posts: 2,881
Re: Seven scientific theories

Dutch Newchurch wrote:

I'm setting this up as the next series after the 'Seven secular sermons' challenges.

I'm posting the full series in advance here to give you plenty of time to work on some imaginative entries.

Imagine you have been asked to provide one or two creative and inspirational illustrations for a science textbook, on one or more of these themes.

.

1 The theory of gravity

(opens 16 January 2018)

An apple falling from a tree?

A musket ball and a cannonball dropped from the leaning tower of Pisa?

A satellite in orbit?

A rocket blasting off?

Gravitational lensing around a black hole?

Illustrate gravity!

.

2 The physics of waves

(opens 23 January 2018)

A Marshall stack turned up to 11 (sound waves)?

The colours in a film of oil (light waves)?

A rainbow (the wave theory of light)?

The destruction of an earthquake (primary, secondary and surface waves)?

Ripples as a stone into a pond?

The collision of two black holes generating gravitational waves?

(Holiday snaps of ocean waves breaking will be disqualified.)

.

3 Newton's laws of motion

(opens 30 January 2018)

A spacecraft in free fall (the first law)?

A dragster burning rubber (the second law)?

A heeling yacht (the third law)?

An interceptor with flaming afterburners (the second or third law)?

A cannon firing (the third or second law)?

.

4 The laws of thermodynamics

(opens 6 February 2018)

A fighter jet climbing, on full reheat (first law)?

A forest fire (second law)?

Liquid helium (third law)?

A fireman shovelling coal into a steam engine's boiler (first law)?

.

5 Natural selection

(opens 13 February 2018)

A spider in its web?

A cheetah bringing down its prey?

A zebra outrunning a lioness?

Stags locking antlers in the rutting season?

A wasp paralysing a caterpillar?

A camel in the desert?

A polar bear hunting in the ice?

The theme is 'natural selection', not simply 'wildlife'. Show natural adaptation to survive and reproduce.

.

6 Chaos theory

(opens 20 February 2018)

Complexity comes from simple mathematical rules.

Minor variations in the starting position may result in very different results.

Chaos theory may describe unpredictable events.

Storms?

Fractal patterns in nature (ferns, ice crystals, forked lightning, the self-similarity of coastlines)?

A horse race?

Snapshots of butterflies will be disqualified.

.

7 The periodic table

(opens 27 February 2018)

Blue fireworks (copper)?

Orange neon signs?

An exhausted runner panting at the end of the race (oxygen)?

A meteor (iron)?

The surface of the sun (hydrogen)?

A stoker shovelling coal (carbon)?

A fast jet's exhaust glowing orange (nickel)?

I may thin out entries, at my discretion, if (for example) there are several shots of gold jewellery or silver coins.

Hi Dutch, you have developed some interesting and different kind of temas. One question that might be of some interest for people is the level of "Photoshop"  creation, contra the need for a  just lightly reworked photographs that you will accept and expect.  You can't take genuine  pictures of black holes or gravity lens or even (easily) a "spacecraft in free fall", can you.

So will you expect completely reworked pictures, or will you basically only expect slightly reworked photographs?

regards

Jahn

 JahnG's gear list:JahnG's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-r Pentax K-S1
Dutch Newchurch
OP Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,716
Re: Seven scientific theories
1

Jahn.

The post-processing rule will be:

  • No restrictions. If you don't do much Photoshop, that's fine, but please don't mark down those who do, as a principle.

I hope that is clear.

I want this to be a creative challenge, and for some of the suggestions I have listed, well, yes, the only way to make them will be with post-processing.

But, those are just suggestions.  Many of the ideas I have listed will not need so much work.  And they are just ideas.  I hope photographers entering will have imaginative ideas of their own.

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

JahnG
JahnG Senior Member • Posts: 2,881
Re: Seven scientific theories
1

Dutch Newchurch wrote:

Jahn.

The post-processing rule will be:

  • No restrictions. If you don't do much Photoshop, that's fine, but please don't mark down those who do, as a principle.

I hope that is clear.

I want this to be a creative challenge, and for some of the suggestions I have listed, well, yes, the only way to make them will be with post-processing.

But, those are just suggestions. Many of the ideas I have listed will not need so much work. And they are just ideas. I hope photographers entering will have imaginative ideas of their own.

Thanks Dutch for your clarification, the contest might get interesting

Jahn

 JahnG's gear list:JahnG's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-r Pentax K-S1
Dutch Newchurch
OP Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,716
Re: Seven scientific theories

I've loaded some specimen images into the queue.  I might post them here too, to help trigger inspiration.

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

Dutch Newchurch
OP Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,716
The theory of gravity - example photo

Photoshop is neither necessary, nor discouraged for this challenge.

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

Dutch Newchurch
OP Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,716
The physics of waves - example photo

A rainbow illustrating the wave theory of light.

Photoshop is neither necessary nor discouraged for this challenge.

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

Dutch Newchurch
OP Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,716
Newton's laws of motion

Spaceships in free fall orbiting a planet  (Newton's first law)

The thrust from the rocket pack accelerates our bold aviatrix (Newton's second law).

While the rocket pack contains the pressure inside it is quite safe (Newton's first law)

The sail deflects the wind, creating a force which drives the yacht (Newton's third law)

Photoshop is neither necessary nor discouraged for this challenge.

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

Dutch Newchurch
OP Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,716
The laws of thermodynamics - example

Potential energy converted to kinetic energy; energy is conserved (first law)

Fuel burns; chemical energy converted to heat and light.   Entropy increases (second law).

Photoshop is neither necessary nor discouraged in this challenge.

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

Dutch Newchurch
OP Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,716
Natural selection - example

A predator sets its trap to catch its prey.

(I'm not a natural history photographer, so I have few suitable shots in my own library.  I'd hope for photos that better show the struggle to survive and reproduce.  This is too close to being simply a wildlife shot, and this theme really needs more.)

Photoshop is allowed - but the theme is 'natural selection', so that might limit it.  Natural history photographers tend to dislike altering the truth of their observations.

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

Dutch Newchurch
OP Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,716
Chaos theory - example photos

Both of these photos are connected to the idea of fractals, the geometry of mathematical chaos.

The spinning hoop draws a shape like a strange attractor; ordered yet never repeating.

A photograph of a Vulcan bomber, multiplied into a formation of 1,000, organised as a Sierpinski triangle; a fractal design.

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

Dutch Newchurch
OP Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,716
The periodic table - example photo

Curtis P40-C. Aluminium is the main element in the duralumin alloy from which it was made.

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

Wildbegonia
Wildbegonia Contributing Member • Posts: 874
Re: Seven scientific theories
2

Dutch Newchurch wrote:

I'm setting this up as the next series after the 'Seven secular sermons' challenges.

I'm posting the full series in advance here to give you plenty of time to work on some imaginative entries.

Imagine you have been asked to provide one or two creative and inspirational illustrations for a science textbook, on one or more of these themes.

.

1 The theory of gravity

(opens 16 January 2018)

An apple falling from a tree?

A musket ball and a cannonball dropped from the leaning tower of Pisa?

A satellite in orbit?

A rocket blasting off?

Gravitational lensing around a black hole?

Illustrate gravity!

.

2 The physics of waves

(opens 23 January 2018)

A Marshall stack turned up to 11 (sound waves)?

The colours in a film of oil (light waves)?

A rainbow (the wave theory of light)?

The destruction of an earthquake (primary, secondary and surface waves)?

Ripples as a stone into a pond?

The collision of two black holes generating gravitational waves?

(Holiday snaps of ocean waves breaking will be disqualified.)

.

3 Newton's laws of motion

(opens 30 January 2018)

A spacecraft in free fall (the first law)?

A dragster burning rubber (the second law)?

A heeling yacht (the third law)?

An interceptor with flaming afterburners (the second or third law)?

A cannon firing (the third or second law)?

.

4 The laws of thermodynamics

(opens 6 February 2018)

A fighter jet climbing, on full reheat (first law)?

A forest fire (second law)?

Liquid helium (third law)?

A fireman shovelling coal into a steam engine's boiler (first law)?

.

5 Natural selection

(opens 13 February 2018)

A spider in its web?

A cheetah bringing down its prey?

A zebra outrunning a lioness?

Stags locking antlers in the rutting season?

A wasp paralysing a caterpillar?

A camel in the desert?

A polar bear hunting in the ice?

The theme is 'natural selection', not simply 'wildlife'. Show natural adaptation to survive and reproduce.

.

6 Chaos theory

(opens 20 February 2018)

Complexity comes from simple mathematical rules.

Minor variations in the starting position may result in very different results.

Chaos theory may describe unpredictable events.

Storms?

Fractal patterns in nature (ferns, ice crystals, forked lightning, the self-similarity of coastlines)?

A horse race?

Snapshots of butterflies will be disqualified.

.

7 The periodic table

(opens 27 February 2018)

Blue fireworks (copper)?

Orange neon signs?

An exhausted runner panting at the end of the race (oxygen)?

A meteor (iron)?

The surface of the sun (hydrogen)?

A stoker shovelling coal (carbon)?

A fast jet's exhaust glowing orange (nickel)?

I may thin out entries, at my discretion, if (for example) there are several shots of gold jewellery or silver coins.

This is going to be fun assured. Reading thru the list, it catapulted me back to the early years of study in Physics and Chemistry in the University. God! I love Science.

-- hide signature --

'Balls! Said the Queen, if I'll had them, I'll be the King'.

 Wildbegonia's gear list:Wildbegonia's gear list
Pentax K200D
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 14,119
Re: Seven scientific theories
1

Bookmarked!!!

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,498
Re: The physics of waves - example photo
1

Dutch Newchurch wrote:

A rainbow illustrating the wave theory of light.

[…]

Particles...

J.

Wildbegonia
Wildbegonia Contributing Member • Posts: 874
Re: The physics of waves - example photo

Joe Pineapples II wrote:

Dutch Newchurch wrote:

A rainbow illustrating the wave theory of light.

[…]

Particles...

J.

Yeah! Optics

-- hide signature --

'Balls! Said the Queen, if I'll had them, I'll be the King'.

 Wildbegonia's gear list:Wildbegonia's gear list
Pentax K200D
Bill Thoo Regular Member • Posts: 306
Re: Chaos theory - example photos

You could illustrate chaos theory with a butterfly flapping its wings in the Amazon Forest, and with the right depth of field, the subsequent storm in Europe...

 Bill Thoo's gear list:Bill Thoo's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon PowerShot D10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more
Bill Thoo Regular Member • Posts: 306
Re: Seven scientific theories

A very inventive conceptual theme. I really like it.

I hope you will link this forum discussion to the challenge notes (if possible).

What I like most is your use of the forum to give you an opportunity to expand greatly on the challenge background, and an ability to answer questions for potential entrants for the whole series. It is of course possible to have a conversation for each challenge, but wouldn't it be great if you needed to do that only just once... The challenge template for hosts can be a little restrictive for communicating to participants what the host is looking for, beyond relatively simple technical restrictions. It would be good for hosts to use your example here as a model for other challenges that will need some extra explaining!

 Bill Thoo's gear list:Bill Thoo's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon PowerShot D10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more
Dutch Newchurch
OP Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,716
Re: Chaos theory - example photos

Bill Thoo wrote:

You could illustrate chaos theory with a butterfly flapping its wings in the Amazon Forest, and with the right depth of field, the subsequent storm in Europe...

I fear it might be an 'equivalence' storm!

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

Dutch Newchurch
OP Dutch Newchurch Senior Member • Posts: 5,716
Re: Seven scientific theories

Bill Thoo wrote:

A very inventive conceptual theme. I really like it.

I hope you will link this forum discussion to the challenge notes (if possible).

What I like most is your use of the forum to give you an opportunity to expand greatly on the challenge background, and an ability to answer questions for potential entrants for the whole series. It is of course possible to have a conversation for each challenge, but wouldn't it be great if you needed to do that only just once... The challenge template for hosts can be a little restrictive for communicating to participants what the host is looking for, beyond relatively simple technical restrictions. It would be good for hosts to use your example here as a model for other challenges that will need some extra explaining!

Thank you Bill

And, yes, I've loaded the challenges into the launch tube, and each contains a link to this discussion.

As challenge host, I don't think I get an automatic notification of discussions started within the challenge itself, which is unsatisfactory.  So I'd find it easier if questions and observations are posted here.

-- hide signature --

Dutch
forestmoonstudio.co.uk
Photography is about light, not light-proof boxes.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads