The D7500 is too good at night

Started Dec 19, 2017 | Discussions
kivis
kivis Regular Member • Posts: 420
The D7500 is too good at night

When I shoot photos at night my D7500 makes the exposures look like its daytime. How to get it to be more realistic to the night? Lot's of PP?

-- hide signature --

Kivis

kivis's gear list:kivis's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +3 more
Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lightmeter
lightmeter Regular Member • Posts: 499
Re: The D7500 is too good at night

Almost every camera I've owned, whether it be film or digital, never gives me the exposure I want at night. Almost always overexposes. You could try some exposure compensation, maybe -1 to -3 stops. Or you can do what I do. Put the camera in manual exposure mode. Ignore the meter. Guess at a shutter and f stop, and shoot. Look at the photo on the back of the camera. If it looks too dark, bracket a set up from there. If it looks too light, bracket a set down from there. If it looks close to what you want, bracket both up and down. When you get home and look at them on the monitor, you can choose the one you want. or HDR multiple photos. I know there's more than one way to do this, but that's the way I do it.

-- hide signature --

Bill
If a new super high megapixel body is going to make my current lenses "soft" or poor performers, then I don't want it.

lightmeter's gear list:lightmeter's gear list
Nikon D7100 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +24 more
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,312

kivis wrote:

When I shoot photos at night my D7500 makes the exposures look like its daytime. How to get it to be more realistic to the night? Lot's of PP?

..best try shooting in full manual, where you select everything including ISO..

..can try using D7500 camera with 35mm f/1.8 lens, and use the following in Manual mode..

..1/200s, f/2.0, iso4000..

..use this setting to take pictures at night, and see the results..

..Cheers..

-- hide signature --

Regards, John..
..down with naysayers!
'wake up and smell the roses'

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Nikon Coolpix P900
Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 9,535

Try spot metering on a bright area of the image.

Bracketing is good.

Use the +/- exposure control button.

Go manual.

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 7,703
The light meter is trying to "normalize" your picture.

kivis wrote:

The light meter is trying to (what I call) "normalize" your picture.

It is assuming that you are taking a picture during the day and want your picture to look like it was taken during the day.

If you want your pictures to look like they were taken at night (in other words, darker), you need to tell the camera that.

If in an auto mode where you can use exposure compensation, dial in negative exposure compensation until you get the look you want.

Other times you might want to nudge the camera with exposure compensation is when shooting either snow or beach / water. The extra reflective nature of snow, beach or water means that the camera might want to underexpose your shot. In order to make that white snow or white sand look white, you would need to either dial in positive exposure compensation, or . . . use the snow / beach scene mode. (Basically the scene mode is giving the camera the knowledge of what its shooting, so it can guess the exposure appropriately.)

Another time you might want to use negative exposure is if you are taking a picture in a black room with lots of black objects. LOL. The camera is going to try to make that a lighter grey.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
PTMcH
PTMcH Regular Member • Posts: 279

Also try setting metering to spot metering.  Lock AE on the spot that you want to show normal lighting before taking the shot.

PTMcH's gear list:PTMcH's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye +13 more
User6955153578 New Member • Posts: 2

Kicks, I noted the same thing with my D7500...its. Sensor is very sensitive...however, I have gotten some amazing shots of the Milky Way using ISO settings of 1250, 1600, 3200, and 6400 using a Tokina11-16 f 2.8 or my Tokina 14- 20 f2 lenses...how I have controlled what looks like daytime is by setting my exposure time to levels that allow proper exposure then checking my history gram with each shot to make sure I am not over or under exposed...see lonely speck.com for additional help

This photo was taken with my D7500, Tokina 11-14 f2.8 set at 11mm and is a 21 second exposure....I have experienced a variety of good and not so good low light exposures but practice and experimenting has helped a lot. Hope this helps.

User6955153578 New Member • Posts: 2

Hey Kivi,

I failed to mention a few things....I shot the Milky Way  photo in RAW and then made several adjustments in Nikons editing program Capture NX-D. I shot the photo in manual and have actually set up the user settings on the D7500 mode dial to my preferred Milky Way settings which I alter from time to time for experiment sake...it's worth mentioning that I have also gotten decent results from shooting jpegs too...lastly, I have learned many valuable things from the book Nikon D7500 for dummies- it is a very well organized and useful treatise to upstandinghow to control the camera-again I hope you find this input helpful.

mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 9,734

kivis wrote:

What Tactics said. The metering system in the Nikon is sophisticated, but can't tell time. Matrix metering does a pretty good job on detecting a snow or beach scene and adjusting exposure up so that snow doesn't look blue, for example. But dark scenes are harder to guess. So the metering system kicks up the exposure to brighten the scene. Spot metering on a "normal" area of the scene, then locking exposure, or applying EC is generally needed to help the meter tell the correct time of day.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6400 Nikon Z50 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 +8 more
Geoliebert Regular Member • Posts: 120

Why not try the picture controls and make a setup where you lower the brightness and saturation, or experiment. You can probably save your own picture control. Also there might be high key and low key setting in picture modes, you might try them

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads