SD memory card recommendations

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
jerrymend Regular Member • Posts: 209
SD memory card recommendations

My little box of memory cards is lost and  I need to buy some new cards. It has been a long time since I bought  any and I'd like some advice from actual users.  My camera's are a D90, D7000 and D3300. I shoot JPEG only, landscapes, wildlife some sports,  and people,. I do not shoot any video. I do like fast burst speeds--(birds in flight, baseball games, etc)

Any recommendations ----brand, size, speed, etc would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks.

-- hide signature --

jerry

Nikon D3300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jshen808
jshen808 Senior Member • Posts: 7,512
Re: SD memory card recommendations

jerrymend wrote:

My little box of memory cards is lost and I need to buy some new cards. It has been a long time since I bought any and I'd like some advice from actual users. My camera's are a D90, D7000 and D3300. I shoot JPEG only, landscapes, wildlife some sports, and people,. I do not shoot any video. I do like fast burst speeds--(birds in flight, baseball games, etc)

Thanks.

..probably the 16gb version would be just fine..

..Cheers..

-- hide signature --

Regards, John..
..down with naysayers!
'wake up and smell the roses'

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon Coolpix P1000
OP jerrymend Regular Member • Posts: 209

thank you----

-- hide signature --

jerry

bflood Senior Member • Posts: 1,739

I've been using Sandisk since 2004, and have very little experience with other brands. There's a reason for that.

I've never had a Sandisk card cause me any trouble. I subscribe to the philosophy "if it works, don't fix it." The only card problem I ever experienced was with an old, slow Lexar CF card 10 years ago, and even then, I recovered the files using a copy of Rescue Pro that came free with a Sandisk card. So I'll recommend Sandisk cards until Sandisk gives me a reason to change.

Card speed is an interesting topic. For shooting bursts, the camera will shoot at its maximum frame rate until it has filled the camera's buffer, at which time the shooting is forced to slow to allowing another shot only once enough space becomes available in the buffer. Also, once the buffer fills and the shooting almost stops, the card speed is a factor in how long it takes for the buffer to clear completely, thereby allowing another full length burst. The buffer begins to empty onto the card as soon as the first shot comes in, and the buffer fills at a rate determined by how fast the shots happen, the speed at which the camera writes to the buffer, the speed at which the camera writes from the buffer to the card, and the speed at which the card can receive the data from the camera. The card speed is the only part of that process you can influence.

Based on my experience, I expect that the camera that you have that will benefit the most from better card speed will be the D7000. But it won't benefit much.

I tested my D7000 with 4 different Sandisk SD cards with differing speeds. I started with a 30 mb/s card, and found I got 15 consecutive shots to fill the buffer and hit the shooting slowdown. Then it took 30 seconds for the green light to go out, telling me the buffer had cleared.

I ran this same test with 45 mb/s, 80 mb/s and 90 mb/s cards from Sandisk, and got exactly the same results - the faster cards did not buy me any increase in the number of frames I could get before the slowdown, and didn't shorten the time for the buffer to clear. That tells me that the real limit is the write speed of the camera - buying cards that can accept data at faster rates doesn't buy you anything.

Since I seriously doubt that he write speeds of the D90 or D3400 will be faster than the D7000, any 30 mb/s (or faster) SD card should all perform the same for bursts. I don't know how much slower a card I'd have to try to see a drop in burst performance, but cards slower than 30 mb/s are getting to be uncommon anyway.

There's one other aspect of card speed, and it's not related to its use in the camera. A faster card can presumably send files from a card reader to your computer faster than a slow card. I haven't tested this, and don't find it an especially important feature - whether copying a card to a PC at the end of a day takes 3 minutes or 6 minutes hasn't mattered to me.

bflood's gear list:bflood's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
bflood Senior Member • Posts: 1,739

As soon as I posted my rely, I realized I had one more thing to add, and it may be the most valuable. I usually tell friends who ask to buy for the future. In your case, I think any Sandisk card you can buy these days will do fine with the gear you have today. But the recommendation to get the 90 mb/s card has merit - for the future. While a speed faster than 30 mb/s may not benefit you directly now, it likely will offer better performance than a 30 mb/s card on your next camera.

So I'll second the recommendation for Sandisk 90 mb/s cards.

bflood's gear list:bflood's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more

Thanks again.   I will buy some 90 MB’s cards tomorrow.  Jerry--
jerry

romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 3,725

jerrymend wrote:

Thanks again. I will buy some 90 MB’s cards tomorrow. Jerry--
jerry

I do agree with this. There are 95s available now which just means its the next iteration.

-- hide signature --

Always try google before you start a thread. Most likely you'll find your answer straight away.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +12 more
ChrisP99 Forum Member • Posts: 60

jshen808 wrote:

jerrymend wrote:

My little box of memory cards is lost and I need to buy some new cards. It has been a long time since I bought any and I'd like some advice from actual users. My camera's are a D90, D7000 and D3300. I shoot JPEG only, landscapes, wildlife some sports, and people,. I do not shoot any video. I do like fast burst speeds--(birds in flight, baseball games, etc)

Thanks.

..Cheers..

Hello, i bought the same card for my D5500. I saw a huge difference in burst shooting against the slower card i had, as others said is also more future proof.

ChrisP99's gear list:ChrisP99's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Michigan Sandman
Michigan Sandman Regular Member • Posts: 240

The Sandisk SD cards that the OP suggested, are the fastest cards that the D90 and D7000 can process. The faster double contact cards can be used, but there is no speed gain because these particular cameras can't process anything faster than the card shown.

I bought a D90 for my niece during the Summer and put the 16gb version in it, and it does a good job. I use two of the 32gb card in my D7100 and the Sandisk are a little faster than the Lexar cards, and they also do a good job.

The 32gb cards are only about 5 or six dollars more expensive than the 16gb cards. B&H and Adorama have them on sale quite often.

Michigan Sandman's gear list:Michigan Sandman's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +55 more

Thank you I ordered 2 of them last night from B & H

-- hide signature --

jerry

Chips Pringle
Chips Pringle Contributing Member • Posts: 570

jshen808 wrote:

jerrymend wrote:

Thanks.

..Cheers..

Yep these are great cards👍
God created the world and all that is in it. We just get to photograph it.
Kenny

Chips Pringle's gear list:Chips Pringle's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +8 more
Chips Pringle
Chips Pringle Contributing Member • Posts: 570

jerrymend wrote:

Thank you I ordered 2 of them last night from B & H

SanDisk (16 or 32 gig) Extreme Pro Cards

-- hide signature --

God created the world and all that is in it. We just get to photograph it.
Kenny

Chips Pringle's gear list:Chips Pringle's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads