what would cause these weird lines? from images stacking.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
dmorgan924
dmorgan924 Regular Member • Posts: 259
what would cause these weird lines? from images stacking.

had a whole bunch of pictures that I stacked in photoshop, but there are these weird lines,  I did not check to automatically align, the pictures, only checked to creat a smart object.  I did use the Electronic shutter. on an a6500 not sure if it would be that? tho.

thanks.

Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
missingendpoint Contributing Member • Posts: 663
Re: what would cause these weird lines? from images stacking.

power lines you didn't notice in the dark

uhligfd Senior Member • Posts: 2,931

missingendpoint wrote:

That is what I also first thought was the problem of 'lines' in the pic.

But I think the problem are the riffles immediately to the left of the tree standing on the right edge of the frame. looks like someone dropped a stone into standing water; concentric 'waves'. not lines.

Maybe the riffles, poster? What lines are you upset about?

[Looking closer, I can see 4 such 'dropped stones into a pond' concentric circles or ovals. Some seem to have a bright light source at their center. 60 Hz light interferences?]

Entropy512 Senior Member • Posts: 3,680

uhligfd wrote:

missingendpoint wrote:

That is what I also first thought was the problem of 'lines' in the pic.

But I think the problem are the riffles immediately to the left of the tree standing on the right edge of the frame. looks like someone dropped a stone into standing water; concentric 'waves'. not lines.

Maybe the riffles, poster? What lines are you upset about?

[Looking closer, I can see 4 such 'dropped stones into a pond' concentric circles or ovals. Some seem to have a bright light source at their center. 60 Hz light interferences?]

I'm wondering if, given that this is a star trails image, it's an odd interaction between star trails, stacking, and compressed RAW artifacts?

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
dmorgan924
OP dmorgan924 Regular Member • Posts: 259

I did a second one using all tiffs, "not jpeg" like my last one,  and checked align layers, it looks better.

seuadr Regular Member • Posts: 443

seems like it might've been an issue with aligning - i thought i'd read that the silent shutter can cause lines across it from bright sources because it is an electronic shutter and so kind of "rolls" across the sensor - i wonder if what you were seeing is several iterations of the "roll" slightly out of alignment?

seuadr's gear list:seuadr's gear list
Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a6500 Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
dmorgan924
OP dmorgan924 Regular Member • Posts: 259

seuadr wrote:

seems like it might've been an issue with aligning - i thought i'd read that the silent shutter can cause lines across it from bright sources because it is an electronic shutter and so kind of "rolls" across the sensor - i wonder if what you were seeing is several iterations of the "roll" slightly out of alignment?

Yeah I'll have to try normal shutter next time. I know I want to stack. My main thing was a time-lapse so I usually use electronic shutter. Thanks

uhligfd Senior Member • Posts: 2,931

dmorgan924 wrote:

I did a second one using all tiffs, "not jpeg" like my last one, and checked align layers, it looks better.

I now wonder about you lens: look at the upper left where the stars do not see to follow their paths; they are jittering tremendously. A new astronomical discovery, no doubt.

How about giving us some exposure data, lens data etc. And I would let off that electronic shutter and see what the lens actually can do. Utter failures so far. Better luck soon!

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,888

dmorgan924 wrote:

had a whole bunch of pictures that I stacked in photoshop, but there are these weird lines ...

They're moiré patterns that have turned up in other stacked images from other posters in the past. Try different parameters, different algorithms, different stacking software, etc. Might make a difference, might not.

dquangt Senior Member • Posts: 2,476

Could be ibis causing this also at long shutter speeds on a tripod. With the wide angle distortion it would be more apparent on the edges and corners like it is here.

uhligfd wrote:

dmorgan924 wrote:

I did a second one using all tiffs, "not jpeg" like my last one, and checked align layers, it looks better.

I now wonder about you lens: look at the upper left where the stars do not see to follow their paths; they are jittering tremendously. A new astronomical discovery, no doubt.

How about giving us some exposure data, lens data etc. And I would let off that electronic shutter and see what the lens actually can do. Utter failures so far. Better luck soon!

Entropy512 Senior Member • Posts: 3,680

dmorgan924 wrote:

had a whole bunch of pictures that I stacked in photoshop, but there are these weird lines, I did not check to automatically align, the pictures, only checked to creat a smart object. I did use the Electronic shutter. on an a6500 not sure if it would be that? tho.

thanks.

This came up recently - https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60575299

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads