Major Wedding equipment swap this year...

Started Dec 15, 2017 | Discussions
Grig
Grig Senior Member • Posts: 2,300
Major Wedding equipment swap this year...

Went from Yellow to Blue this year...

Absolutely love it! As a backup - 3rd X-T2 with half grip and 18-135... Also got Rokinon 12mm, 18-55 and 55-200 for light travel purposes.

For lighting I use Godox/Flashpoint 360 system...

-- hide signature --

Real photography - it's just the ability to see what was already created by God!
www.grigphoto.com

Grig's gear list:Grig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +14 more
Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BryceM
BryceM Senior Member • Posts: 1,267
Re: Major Wedding equipment swap this year...

You do some amazing work. Can I ask what changed between your first wedding (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4199057) and now?  Was it just a matter of needing more time to retrain your Nikon muscle memory?

-- hide signature --

- International Man of Mystery

BryceM's gear list:BryceM's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm X-Pro1 Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +35 more
Grig
OP Grig Senior Member • Posts: 2,300

BryceM wrote:

You do some amazing work. Can I ask what changed between your first wedding (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4199057) and now? Was it just a matter of needing more time to retrain your Nikon muscle memory?

I guess you are dead on... After the first wedding I was so mad that it is not behaving like my Nikon in many ways... It was so bad that I decided to return everything back to B&H and got on their "no return" list even after I repurchased everything back, but there was no way repurchasing that exact equipment that I returned (I asked)... It was very emotional decision... And I think they are still thinking that I am a bad guy... But I am still buying from them and still think that B&H guys are the best... It was all my fault anyway.

Turning point was editing... I fell in love with Fuji colors and editing was about 50% less in terms of exposure (thank you EVF!) and color correction.

Also - after tuning AFC to what I need - it is very fast! It took 7 weddings to sell all my Nikon gear and completely switch to Fuji.

Got use to ergonomics but still think that plastic grip piece should be done in the way of the Fuji Half grip... I hope Fuji is reading this forum...

DOF is surely different and bokeh on 50-140 is not as good as 70-200, thus I got 90mm

Just another way of saying that there is no perfect system on the market. You just need to prioritize and get what fits you the most... So far it is Fuji for me... for now...

-- hide signature --

Real photography - it's just the ability to see what was already created by God!
www.grigphoto.com

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +14 more
BryceM
BryceM Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

It's a "differently abled" system, no doubt.  But for me, Fuji wins solidly on balance.  I never thought I could prefer any EVF to a good pentaprism, but now I'd have a hard time going back.

- International Man of Mystery

BryceM's gear list:BryceM's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm X-Pro1 Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +35 more
genrxr Regular Member • Posts: 417

Grig wrote:

BryceM wrote:

You do some amazing work. Can I ask what changed between your first wedding (https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4199057) and now? Was it just a matter of needing more time to retrain your Nikon muscle memory?

I guess you are dead on... After the first wedding I was so mad that it is not behaving like my Nikon in many ways... It was so bad that I decided to return everything back to B&H and got on their "no return" list even after I repurchased everything back, but there was no way repurchasing that exact equipment that I returned (I asked)... It was very emotional decision... And I think they are still thinking that I am a bad guy... But I am still buying from them and still think that B&H guys are the best... It was all my fault anyway.

Turning point was editing... I fell in love with Fuji colors and editing was about 50% less in terms of exposure (thank you EVF!) and color correction.

Also - after tuning AFC to what I need - it is very fast! It took 7 weddings to sell all my Nikon gear and completely switch to Fuji.

Got use to ergonomics but still think that plastic grip piece should be done in the way of the Fuji Half grip... I hope Fuji is reading this forum...

DOF is surely different and bokeh on 50-140 is not as good as 70-200, thus I got 90mm

Just another way of saying that there is no perfect system on the market. You just need to prioritize and get what fits you the most... So far it is Fuji for me... for now...

Thanks for the honesty. Thing is, you are right about the Fuji 50-140 and its bokeh. It almost kept me from buying into the Fuji system. My favorite zoom lens from the Nikon and Canon camps is their 70-200 with their 24-70 a close second. Talking zooms of course.

As a long time user of the x100, what won me over was Fuji colors and ambient flash. Fuji engineers are brilliant.

Also, the 56mm had the bokeh. Just needed to shoot prime. The 90mm as you stated is also superb!

The Fuji primes are as good as anything on the market.

Get out and shoot!

-- hide signature --
 genrxr's gear list:genrxr's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Grig

BryceM wrote:

It's a "differently abled" system, no doubt. But for me, Fuji wins solidly on balance. I never thought I could prefer any EVF to a good pentaprism, but now I'd have a hard time going back.

I am on the same boat with EVF! Just can't stand optical viewfinders anymore... After 30+ years of using them!!! I could have D850 on September 7th as NPS member, but canceled the order... Probably should of kept it and sell on eBay for profit... LOL...

Another big issue was that as I am getting old - chmping after each shot requires wearing glasses and I hate doing that!!! With EVF (exposure is dead on every time) you don't have to chimp at all, and if you really need to (to check on blinkers or so) - everything is nice and sharp!

-- hide signature --

www.grigphoto.com

KirkV Regular Member • Posts: 101

Hello,

Could you please tell me the brand and model number for the "blue" case you use for your X-T2 equipment?

Kirk

KirkV's gear list:KirkV's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +7 more
Grig

Pelican 1550

-- hide signature --

www.grigphoto.com

KirkV Regular Member • Posts: 101

Did the blue insert material come with the case?

KirkV's gear list:KirkV's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +7 more
Not you
Not you Regular Member • Posts: 145
Yup. Did the same.

I did the same transition for my wedding work a couple years back.

At the time of transition I was shooting with Nikon D3s and D610 and D700. Nikon and Yongnou strobes.

I use a Lowepro x200 roller bag (an excellent bag).

I researched Fuji and M43 for a year before investing in Fuji and did so via selling Nikon D610 and D700 and a couple lenses, purchase the XT1 + grip and lenses and then shot one full wedding season with 50% Nikon and 50% Fuji to test it.

I was hoping the usability of the Fuji would be different since I was so complacent with the Nikon system I wanted to learn a new system. It was nice having to re-learn simple techniques.

I was always happy with the Fuji RAW files. I found they didn't have as much flexibility on the highlights as the Nikon, but the shadows were great to push/pull.

After one year I sold rest of Nikon and went 100% Fuji and now have two XT-2's. My Nikon Yongnou's work perfect on my Fuji.  Also have the Fuji X500 flash for TTL.

I kept the Lowepro x200 bag because its so convenient. With the smaller kit, I know lug around a couple more lenses than I use to with the Nikon.  Also ... I've enjoyed adapting vintage lenses to my Fuji and the flexibility focus peaking has brought to the ecosystem.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XT2 plus a mix of Fuji zooms, Fuji primes and adapted vintage classics.
http://adamwoodhouse.info/ <- Personal Work

http://www.woodhousephotography.com/ <- Wedding work

Not you's gear list:Not you's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,814

Grig wrote:

BryceM wrote:

Thanks for sharing your pics and thoughts.

What AFC settings did you find work for you?

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +52 more
Grig
Re: Yup. Did the same.

Not you wrote:

Also have the Fuji X500 flash for TTL.

How do you like X500?

I can't justify the cost yet based on reviews... Have couple of Godox/Flashpoint Zoom speedlights for on camera TTL use and they are very nice! Comparable to SB900 in power and recycle time.

-- hide signature --

www.grigphoto.com

Grig

KirkV wrote:

Did the blue insert material come with the case?

I bought it used from local photographer... I think you have to pay extra for that padded divider set unless you want to go customizable foam that I personally don't like.

-- hide signature --

www.grigphoto.com

Grig

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

What AFC settings did you find work for you?

For now I use 1-1-Front but someone suggested 0-1-Center... Hopefully will have time this weekend to test and compare these two setups as I will be attending the wedding as a guest (very rare occasion in my life... LOL) on Saturday...

-- hide signature --

www.grigphoto.com

Grig

Very good explanation is right here:

http://fujifilm-x.com/us/x-stories/x-t2-af-c-custom-setting/

-- hide signature --

www.grigphoto.com

Not you
Not you Regular Member • Posts: 145

Grig wrote:

How do you like X500?

I can't justify the cost yet based on reviews... Have couple of Godox/Flashpoint Zoom speedlights for on camera TTL use and they are very nice! Comparable to SB900 in power and recycle time.

I can only compare it to my past experiences with the Nikon SB800 and SB900 when I shot Nikon. I find the X500 to be very similar to the SB800 in size and power and recycle time. I find the X500 menu to be very easy to use and it to be a well built flash with the added bonus of being weather sealed.  As you know ... an important feature for being a wedding photographer.

When I purchased it the Godox and other TTL options didn't exist except the iNissin (which I had but wasn't overly happy with).

I would be really curious to compare the Godox TTL to the Fuji x500 but would have to lookup others that have done that to see what they say. I also know the newer iNissin is better than the smaller older unit (which is the one I have).

I can't say for certain if the Fuji x500 is worth the $ compared to the other TTL options today. But when I purchased it, it was the best option at the time.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XT2 plus a mix of Fuji zooms, Fuji primes and adapted vintage classics.
http://adamwoodhouse.info/

Not you's gear list:Not you's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
Grig

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

www.grigphoto.com

Grig

0-1-Center works better for me... FYI

-- hide signature --

www.grigphoto.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads