need 21 to 24" second monitor for 2017 21.5" iMac

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Terrance Vacha Contributing Member • Posts: 946
need 21 to 24" second monitor for 2017 21.5" iMac

After endless searching on the internet for a good, reasonably priced monitor in a size range of 21 to 24", I am overwhelmed with the conflicts in reviews and all of the headaches many folks are having. Perhaps some of my fellow iMac users in this forum can help me out.

I want to connect to my Thunderbolt/USB C port. I'd like a monitor with no problems coming out of sleep mode, or any other issues. Just a monitor with a display that will easily calibrate, be a second screen to my iMac, and otherwise sit there being useful and not a headache.

I'd like to stay under $400 and be similar in size to my 4K retina iMac.

Please only respond if you are using a second monitor, are happy with it, can recommend it, and it is in my size and price range.

Thanks!!

Terrance Vacha's gear list:Terrance Vacha's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 10,323
Refurb NEC EA245WMi for $128

Terrance Vacha wrote:

After endless searching on the internet for a good, reasonably priced monitor in a size range of 21 to 24", I am overwhelmed with the conflicts in reviews and all of the headaches many folks are having. Perhaps some of my fellow iMac users in this forum can help me out.

I want to connect to my Thunderbolt/USB C port. I'd like a monitor with no problems coming out of sleep mode, or any other issues. Just a monitor with a display that will easily calibrate, be a second screen to my iMac, and otherwise sit there being useful and not a headache.

I'd like to stay under $400 and be similar in size to my 4K retina iMac.

Please only respond if you are using a second monitor, are happy with it, can recommend it, and it is in my size and price range.

Thanks!!

I have an older refurbished 27" NEC EA274WMi ($130!!!) that works great with my new 2017 13" MBP. NEC is selling a refurbished 24" EA245WMi-BK-R , a newer model, for $128, and a 23" refurbished EA234WMi-BK-R, one generation older, for $139. I don't know why the smaller, older model is more expensive. Both have an sRGB gamut, an IPS panel, an LED backlight, and a DisplayPort connection. You'd connect one to a USB-C port on your Mac with Apple's USB-C to DisplayPort adapter or a USB-C dock with a Mini DisplayPort port. They do not, apparently, support NEC's superb SpectraviewII calibration kit, so you'd have to use a 3rd-party calibration kit, which you might prefer anyway for calibrating your iMac as well.

I've bought a couple of refurbs direct from NEC. I had to return the first one, but the replacement and the subsequently purchased one have both been perfect and like new. Some of their refurb prices are absurdly low, so there are real bargains to be had. Stock runs out quickly, and available models change frequently, so it's worth revisiting the site often until they have the right deal for you.

One note about sleep. I'm using OWC's USB-C dock, and it disconnects both my display and my USB drives from the Mac upon deep sleep. I get a "Disk not properly ejected" warning (not good!), and the only way to reconnect the drive and display is to unplug power to the dock and then plug it in again. OWC says this is a glitch specific to the 2017 MacBook Pros. My solution is to set the Mac's Energy Saver preferences to sleep the display but not the computer.

-- hide signature --

If you think digital is hard, try slide film.
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +29 more
OP Terrance Vacha Contributing Member • Posts: 946
Re: Refurb NEC EA245WMi for $128

Jacque, I'll look into your suggestion. Thanks for the helpful explanation.

Terrance Vacha's gear list:Terrance Vacha's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads