Godox X Pro-N and SB800

Started Dec 11, 2017 | Questions
cats New Member • Posts: 9
Godox X Pro-N and SB800

One week ago I received the new X Pro-N. I made some home tests, and with original firmware it works fine. I was surprised: TCM function was real, also with Nikon flash - SB900 and SB800.

Than, I update the firmware for all Godox triggers that I have: X Pro-N (V1.3), X1R (V20) and X1T (V23). After these, TCM didn't work with Nikon flash, and the worst thing - SB 800 don't work in TTL mode with X Pro-N ( but it's ok with the old one - X 1T ). I don't know: my X Pro-N is faulty, or is a firmware error.

Did anybody have the same experience?  I don't know what to do: to return it, and take another one, or wait  a new firmware ...

-- hide signature --

Cata

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
kli
kli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,480
Re: Godox X Pro-N and SB800

cats wrote:

One week ago I received the new X Pro-N. I made some home tests, and with original firmware it works fine. I was surprised: TCM function was real, also with Nikon flash - SB900 and SB800.

Than, I update the firmware for all Godox triggers that I have: X Pro-N (V1.3), X1R (V20) and X1T (V23). After these, TCM didn't work with Nikon flash, and the worst thing - SB 800 don't work in TTL mode with X Pro-N ( but it's ok with the old one - X 1T ). I don't know: my X Pro-N is faulty, or is a firmware error.

Did anybody have the same experience? I don't know what to do: to return it, and take another one, or wait a new firmware ...

If you got the Flashpoint R2 versions of the gear, I'd email the brands@adorama.com guys and tell them about it, and maybe request a copy of the previous firmware version so you can downgrade your XPro-N.

kli's gear list:kli's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
OP cats New Member • Posts: 9

Thanks kli . I have original Godox products, and I used update firmwares from Godox webpage, so...  . Tomorrow I will ask local dealer, maybe he can help me.

-- hide signature --

Cata

RipRapRob New Member • Posts: 11

So, what happened? Did you get the old firmware installed and did that solve the problem?

RipRapRob's gear list:RipRapRob's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Peter Budd
Peter Budd Senior Member • Posts: 1,134

I would like to know if it was resolved also as I am getting this unit this week. There is ver 1.4 out but it makes no mention of that problem .I have SB900 & SB800 also.

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT+1

Peter Budd's gear list:Peter Budd's gear list
Nikon D810 Olympus E-M1 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +10 more
Tdoan
Tdoan Contributing Member • Posts: 628

Peter Budd wrote:

I would like to know if it was resolved also as I am getting this unit this week. There is ver 1.4 out but it makes no mention of that problem .I have SB900 & SB800 also.

Hi Peter,

If you get the unit, please test out the TCM function before you update and let us know.  I never tested the TCM function on my sb-900 before I updated and now I don't see the older firmware so I can't go back.  With the 1.4 firmware in the Xpro-N, TCM doesn't work for sure on the SB-900, massively underexposed.

Thanks Peter.

-- hide signature --

Tien
====
Please tell me what I can do better or differently. If you are right, I will be grateful as you have taught me something. If I happen to disagree with you, I will still be thankful as you have shown me a different viewpoint, an alternative method.

Tdoan's gear list:Tdoan's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Nikon D7200 Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +9 more
Peter Budd

I will test it. But it may take a while as I do not have a receiver for the SB's  yet

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT+1

Nikon D810 Olympus E-M1 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +10 more
Peter Budd

Just looking at the X PRO-N manual and it does not mention the SB900 as supported with the X1R-N. It only say SB910 , SB800 & SB5000 and the V860N.

Not sure what could be different in the SB900 though. Anyway I will give itg a try with both once I get the XR1-N

Looking at the XR1-N firmware updates there was an update in December ver 20 which said:

To solve the problem that M value do not
change when being output over 1/4 after
the camera flash on the receive end is set
to i-TTL mode and the receiver is set to M
mode.

Not clear exactly what that means though.

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT+1

Peter Budd

I got my ST-III TTL-R N today and tested the TCM function with a  ST-IV Pro and a SB800 and a SB900. Ver 20 on the ST-III and ver 1.3 on the ST-IV Pro.

Both work fine with the ST-IV showing something like M 1/128 +3  ( or similar ) on the display after holding the TCM button for  a couple of seconds and then taking a shot again and getting the same exposure. Adjusting the the M 1/128 +3 to something else effected the exposure correctly.

Upgrading the ST-III-R N to ver 21 seems to have stopped the TCM working. I now get M 1/1 after pressing the TCM button. And of course overexposure. You can still adjust the M setting and that works , But you have lost what the TTL thought the correct setting should be.

I will do some more tests and as the UK distributor to get v20 so I can downgrade.

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT+1

Peter Budd

Just had a quick chat with the UK distributor and they are going to check it out and let me know.

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT+1

Peter Budd

Another quick update.

One thing the Distributor suggested was to factory reset the ST-III ( Power off - Hold the test button in - power on. )

Doing this has brought the TCM function back to life and is again working. Although my SB900 seems to be slightly under exposing ( I can not be sure it was not doing that before ) SB 800 seems fine.

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT+1

gnet158 Senior Member • Posts: 2,919

Sorry for bringing up a older post, but..

I picked up the AD200 and the Xpro.  Will the XPro be able to trigger my Nikon SB-800?  All I want is for it to trigger the SB-800 for fill while I use the AD200 as my main light.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

I got to get out and shoot more.

gnet158's gear list:gnet158's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition +1 more
Peter Budd

I have the ad200 +x ST PRO IV O and the ST PRO IV N.  if you are using  these then you need the ST 3 R on the Nikon Flash . either the ST PRO IV O or the N  will trigger the Nikon flashes with the ST 3 R  or if you have canon flashes you need the ST 3 C. The Godex Pro's use the same wireless protocol across all the models. It is the Receiver ( ST 3 N or C ) that convert back to the Nikon or Canon  flash controls.

The ST Pro IV  certainly works fine for me on either my SB900 or SB800  with the ST 3 R N

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT+1

kli
kli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,480

gnet158 wrote:

Sorry for bringing up a older post, but..

I picked up the AD200 and the Xpro. Will the XPro be able to trigger my Nikon SB-800? All I want is for it to trigger the SB-800 for fill while I use the AD200 as my main light.

As long as you're shooting Nikon, with an Xpro-N, you need an X1R-N receiver (aka Pixpro Pro ST III R or Flashpoint R2 receiver) to attach to the foot of the SB-800, since the SB-800 has no radio capability at all. That should give you the same control over the SB800 that you have over the AD200 (HSS, TTL, M power). Dunno about zoom control, though.

kli's gear list:kli's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
Peter Budd

as far as I remember zoom works as well.

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT+1

OP cats New Member • Posts: 9

Hi ! Did you try this setup and it works fine for you ? Mine SB800 work only in M mode. I tryed TTL, but fail.

-- hide signature --

Cata

Peter Budd

I can't remember now. Have not used the sb800 for some time. I will have a look when I get some time. It won't be that quick as very busy just now.

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads