Upgrading my GX1- Is GX85 enough for indoor sports?

Started Dec 11, 2017 | Discussions
OP Roy Bell New Member • Posts: 21
Re: Upgrading my GX1- Is GX85 enough for indoor sports?

Amazing photos.  Nice job capturing the moment!

kolyy wrote:

Roy Bell wrote:

I ordered the 35-100 mm lens and can't wait to give that a try in the gym. My 25MM is the 1.7 version. This weekend is another competition. So hopefully my lens comes in and I can try it a bit beforehand. My GX85 came in about 10 minutes before I headed out the door last weekend so I didn't get any seat time with it.

Great, I am really curious how you will do, please do report back! Of course, experience and practice is really important.

I'm still not 100% sold on the body of the GX85 though. Coming from the GX1, I really thought it would had kept the smaller form. Yes, I compared sizes and specs, but that doesn't really seem that different until it's in your hand. I probably would had gone with the G85 had I held both of them prior. It just seems easier to hold and isn't that much bigger. Then picked up the smaller 850 for when we are out camping.

I understand, that is why I also have the GM5, which is my small ILC solution.

I am blown away by how many lenses there are now out as well. Last time I looked, there were maybe 6-8 panny lenses. I could see me eventually getting the 12-35mm for a nice indoor companion and the 12-60 looks really idea for when we are out camping or just not wanting to change lenses. Gonna have to check out the Oly options too now.

I have the 12-35 and it is really a very capable combination with the GX80. A bit short though, so I am eyeballing the Leica 12-60mm/2.8-4 as well. I can also recommend the 14-140mm (the new one), it is a very nice one lens solution.

Here's some of my more favorite shots using the 45-150 with the GX1. These are not touched. I have printed some out at poster size (which mom says is too big lol) with a little touch up and they look pretty good considering the equipment and my skills (or lack of).

Her friend.

The 20mm doing it's thing. Can't wait to see how the 25mm works in places I was using the 20.

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 10,522

I was in the same shoe as yours.

G1 met an accident. Need an upgrade and by the small insurance compensation and urgency of a new camera, jumped onto GF3. Not very happy with it, purchased GX1 with a free LVF2 and used it happily for a few year. Upgraded to GX7, wife loved the new camera, and I was left with GX1 again. After tasting the newer features and hardware, got GX85 (sadly my wife now loves GX85 and after a trip, I was left with GX7 again).

I am now sure how did you evaluate your photos, when the improvement between GX7 and GX85 is small (mostly due to the removal of AA filter for a sharper image, and improved jpg engine for a less digital image), the difference between GX1 and GX7 is quite material. GX7 is sharper as well as higher usable ISO. Not to mention when I compare the images from GX1 vs GX85.

Last Sunday as usual I carried GX1 (since it is smaller than GX7/85) for my countryside walk. It was a sunny day and I got a lot of excellent picture. However, when the lighting is going dimmer, when GX1 can still able to handle it, you would find the beauty of using newer models.

On feature wise, the more convenient operating system (dual wheels to control 7 features), excellent Dual IS and its powerful IBIS can stabilize any lens now, nearly shutter shock free new shutter, better touch LCD, Touch Pad AF, Zebra, 4K photos, in-camera HDR/Pano, Post Focus and the focus stacking, 4 bracketing modes especially the very useful focus bracketing... , they can simply make my shooting more interesting and easier.

For indoor sport, it might not be the best tools yet I'm afraid. You may put on a fast speed lens for the lighting issue, and a long one in case you'll sit at a distance. However, unless you'll be an experienced shooters for the job (don't forget we can do it on MF in the old days), the AF tracking ability of GX85 might not be the best for sport shooting yet.

I don't like 14-42 M1 (kit lens of GX1?). My copy is awful because of its sluggish operation. My copy of 12-32 is great for compact setup, but limited to good lighting condition use. 45-150 is a fantastic tele in terms of price, portability and IQ. 12-35 f/2.8 is great: fast speed, excellent sharpness (but edge has to be stopped down to f/3.5-4), WR (unfortunately GX85 is not WR) etc but is costly and heavy (in terms of M43 standard)...

GX850 (a.k.a. GF9) is an entry model. It is a very capable camera but as I heard, quit relay on menu digging and its 4K video is limited to 5 minutes due to overheating concern... Entry class is entry class no matter how good would it be. There must be some difference to differentiate an entry model to a more advanced model I think.

Roy Bell wrote:

Hey all. I have had my GX1 for quite some time now and decided to upgrade. I am a causal shooter and really like the camera for what it is- very compact and simple to operate with good photos. Obviously since the camera is coming up on being out for 7 years, it's getting a little outdated compared to my Note 8 phone which can shoot 4K

I did some brief research and it looked like the most logical move would be the GX85. It's cost friendly, had the features I wanted (4K) and some extra like the 5 axis stability. However, once it arrived, I was kind of surprised of how heavy and large the camera was in comparison to my GX1. This is pushing it for a pocket camera and I am debating if I should had just gotten the GX850 like I Was going to originally. I did some brief testing around the house on objects and pets and while the AF was extremely better than my GX1, I felt the end result wasn't 7 years better than my antiquated GX1.

This brings me to the next question. Is this enough camera for indoor sports (cheerleading, vollyball, etc)? The daughter joined cheerleading this year and I obviously want to get some good shots of her doing flips. I tried shooting video this weekend with the new one and, while the video was great with the 4K, trying to grab a frame of her mid air proved to be near impossible. Next weekend I will try just shooting normally and scrap the video idea.

The GX1 proved pretty good with her outdoor sports (horseback riding, soccer) coupled with the 45-150 lens. However, in dimly lit gyms, my frustration is growing with the M43.

I am looking for some suggestions here. Should I stick with the GX85 and invest in some better lenses? 12-35, 35-100?

Current lenses I own are the original 14-42MM, 20MM, 25MM, and 45-150MM and the 12-32MM that came on the GX85

Or should I get the GX850 for a more pocket friendly camera and invest in a better shooter for the indoor stuff- C, DSLR, GH5/G9?

One issue I am having with the cheerleading stuff (since we are new to sport) is that we never sit in the same spot at these gyms. Last week we were almost on the mat and my 20mm wasn't wide enough for video. This weekend I could had used the 45-150 but we were sitting too low (judges in the way) so I moved to the floor and shot around 20mm on the stock lens. I of course did not even bring the 20mm prime this time. Spending almost a G note on the 12-35 might be great at one event, but the next one I will need more lens.

One of the other mothers was shooting with what appeared to be a C/DSLR Nikon and had some great pictures sitting all the way up in the stands. Am I asking for too much out of this platform? Or, should I invest in faster lenses and practice a little more with the indoor stuff? I appreciate the help and look forward to everyone's suggestions.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
scottyinfrisco Contributing Member • Posts: 850

Thanks for posting these. I plan to use the GX85 for an extremely similar setting.  Looks like the 42.5 f1.7 will be perfect for my needs. So helpful.

scottyinfrisco's gear list:scottyinfrisco's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Sony a6300 Fujifilm X-T2 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +9 more
opiecat Senior Member • Posts: 2,391

i use my GX85 for outdoor softball and indoor volleyball, basketball with good success.

for indoor, i have better success with fast primes 25mm f1.7

for outdoor, 45-150, 75-300 oly works great.

i use to carry my d7k and 70-200 f4 which was a great combo, but heavy.

-- hide signature --

'when 900 years you reach, look as good you will not' -- master yoda
http://opienc.wordpress.com

jhunna Contributing Member • Posts: 831

GX85 once you learn to use it in the various situations will be just fine.

I shoot my kids basketball games (primarily video on the 12-32 kit and the 35-100 f4). If the light is really bad, and these days that's rarely the case, I use my PL 15 f1.7. If I can only bring 2 lenses its the 15 and the 35-100 f4 because I can cover most situations with these two.

Here are some thoughts on getting the shots:

• Practice. The GX85 has so many features you can make it perform in just about any situation.
  • Use the ETC functions to pull yourself closer to the action using primes, my 15 mm becomes a 30mm by reducing resolution, BUT NOT quality.  This has saved me many times when I was placed further away beyond my control (You are limited to JPEGS, but the JPEGS are easy to edit).
  • Use Auto ISO.  I set my focal length and shutter speed for the situation, and then limit the iso to 6400.  If there is a lot of motion I set the shutter at 1/125 aperture at f1.7 and let the iso handle the rest.  I get some dark photos, but find that I can do a lot with shadows using the OOC Jpegs.  
  • The flip up down screen is invaluable for getting shots without climbing or laying on the floor.  I actually find this layout makes the camera EASIER to handle than a fully articulating screen.
  • Built in flash.  Used sparingly, but it is always there if needed, and if the room is small like a wrestling room, you can use bounce flash.

It has taken me about a season to be able to get the shots I want with the camera in any situation. This includes filming a lacrosse game under an umbrelaa in the rain with the 35-100 f4, I was able to do this because I can perform 95% of the operations with one hand.
I can go on, but this gx85 is the best camera I have ever owned for capturing my families life.  There are better video cameras, better photo cameras, but they are larger, have limitations (gx85 has unlimited 4k!!! which is why its heavy), don't do wireless, can't change lenses, no viewfinder, etc...  I have never said I wish I had another camera.

jhunna's gear list:jhunna's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more

scottyinfrisco wrote:

Thanks for posting these. I plan to use the GX85 for an extremely similar setting. Looks like the 42.5 f1.7 will be perfect for my needs. So helpful.

Yea, looks like I will be adding another lens to my xmas list as well lol.

alcelc wrote:

I was in the same shoe as yours.

G1 met an accident. Need an upgrade and by the small insurance compensation and urgency of a new camera, jumped onto GF3. Not very happy with it, purchased GX1 with a free LVF2 and used it happily for a few year. Upgraded to GX7, wife loved the new camera, and I was left with GX1 again. After tasting the newer features and hardware, got GX85 (sadly my wife now loves GX85 and after a trip, I was left with GX7 again).

I am now sure how did you evaluate your photos, when the improvement between GX7 and GX85 is small (mostly due to the removal of AA filter for a sharper image, and improved jpg engine for a less digital image), the difference between GX1 and GX7 is quite material. GX7 is sharper as well as higher usable ISO. Not to mention when I compare the images from GX1 vs GX85.

Last Sunday as usual I carried GX1 (since it is smaller than GX7/85) for my countryside walk. It was a sunny day and I got a lot of excellent picture. However, when the lighting is going dimmer, when GX1 can still able to handle it, you would find the beauty of using newer models.

On feature wise, the more convenient operating system (dual wheels to control 7 features), excellent Dual IS and its powerful IBIS can stabilize any lens now, nearly shutter shock free new shutter, better touch LCD, Touch Pad AF, Zebra, 4K photos, in-camera HDR/Pano, Post Focus and the focus stacking, 4 bracketing modes especially the very useful focus bracketing... , they can simply make my shooting more interesting and easier.

For indoor sport, it might not be the best tools yet I'm afraid. You may put on a fast speed lens for the lighting issue, and a long one in case you'll sit at a distance. However, unless you'll be an experienced shooters for the job (don't forget we can do it on MF in the old days), the AF tracking ability of GX85 might not be the best for sport shooting yet.

I don't like 14-42 M1 (kit lens of GX1?). My copy is awful because of its sluggish operation. My copy of 12-32 is great for compact setup, but limited to good lighting condition use. 45-150 is a fantastic tele in terms of price, portability and IQ. 12-35 f/2.8 is great: fast speed, excellent sharpness (but edge has to be stopped down to f/3.5-4), WR (unfortunately GX85 is not WR) etc but is costly and heavy (in terms of M43 standard)...

GX850 (a.k.a. GF9) is an entry model. It is a very capable camera but as I heard, quit relay on menu digging and its 4K video is limited to 5 minutes due to overheating concern... Entry class is entry class no matter how good would it be. There must be some difference to differentiate an entry model to a more advanced model I think.

Roy Bell wrote:

Hey all. I have had my GX1 for quite some time now and decided to upgrade. I am a causal shooter and really like the camera for what it is- very compact and simple to operate with good photos. Obviously since the camera is coming up on being out for 7 years, it's getting a little outdated compared to my Note 8 phone which can shoot 4K

I did some brief research and it looked like the most logical move would be the GX85. It's cost friendly, had the features I wanted (4K) and some extra like the 5 axis stability. However, once it arrived, I was kind of surprised of how heavy and large the camera was in comparison to my GX1. This is pushing it for a pocket camera and I am debating if I should had just gotten the GX850 like I Was going to originally. I did some brief testing around the house on objects and pets and while the AF was extremely better than my GX1, I felt the end result wasn't 7 years better than my antiquated GX1.

This brings me to the next question. Is this enough camera for indoor sports (cheerleading, vollyball, etc)? The daughter joined cheerleading this year and I obviously want to get some good shots of her doing flips. I tried shooting video this weekend with the new one and, while the video was great with the 4K, trying to grab a frame of her mid air proved to be near impossible. Next weekend I will try just shooting normally and scrap the video idea.

The GX1 proved pretty good with her outdoor sports (horseback riding, soccer) coupled with the 45-150 lens. However, in dimly lit gyms, my frustration is growing with the M43.

I am looking for some suggestions here. Should I stick with the GX85 and invest in some better lenses? 12-35, 35-100?

Current lenses I own are the original 14-42MM, 20MM, 25MM, and 45-150MM and the 12-32MM that came on the GX85

Or should I get the GX850 for a more pocket friendly camera and invest in a better shooter for the indoor stuff- C, DSLR, GH5/G9?

One issue I am having with the cheerleading stuff (since we are new to sport) is that we never sit in the same spot at these gyms. Last week we were almost on the mat and my 20mm wasn't wide enough for video. This weekend I could had used the 45-150 but we were sitting too low (judges in the way) so I moved to the floor and shot around 20mm on the stock lens. I of course did not even bring the 20mm prime this time. Spending almost a G note on the 12-35 might be great at one event, but the next one I will need more lens.

One of the other mothers was shooting with what appeared to be a C/DSLR Nikon and had some great pictures sitting all the way up in the stands. Am I asking for too much out of this platform? Or, should I invest in faster lenses and practice a little more with the indoor stuff? I appreciate the help and look forward to everyone's suggestions.

My 14-42 lens is the same as yours.  At the end of the day, it's a cheap 7+ year old kit lens.  It does the job when I need it.  It rarely gets used. In fact, it's going with the GX1 to the oldest and she can get her own lenses

telefunk
telefunk Senior Member • Posts: 2,205

Roy Bell wrote:

Pany focussing is as good as it gets, specially the new models.

However for indoor sports you're going to need a fast lens.

For that kind of situation, the GX85 or GX850 are equal. Stabilization does not really count at high shutter speeds.

telefunk's gear list:telefunk's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Casio EX-ZR5000 Fujifilm XF10 +5 more
BertrandJow New Member • Posts: 22

scottyinfrisco wrote:

Thanks for posting these. I plan to use the GX85 for an extremely similar setting. Looks like the 42.5 f1.7 will be perfect for my needs. So helpful.

I got this lens only recently but I'm quite pleased with it (I've also used it for concerts and got good results in very low light). I'm quite conservative with regards to ISO (probably I'm used to smaller/lower quality sensors) and did not have to increase brightness during post-processing; you could certainly achieve the same shutter speed and similar IQ with a slower lens playing with these factors (in fact the last shot was with a slow tele zoom).

Please note I was close to the court and still had to crop, you may want a longer lens depending on how far you'll be from the action.

BertrandJow New Member • Posts: 22

Roy Bell wrote:

Amazing photos. Nice job capturing the moment!

Thanks! I need to work on my focus hit ratio though, practice and try different settings.

kolyy Contributing Member • Posts: 899

Roy Bell wrote:

kolyy wrote:

Roy Bell wrote:

I ordered the 35-100 mm lens and can't wait to give that a try in the gym. My 25MM is the 1.7 version. This weekend is another competition. So hopefully my lens comes in and I can try it a bit beforehand. My GX85 came in about 10 minutes before I headed out the door last weekend so I didn't get any seat time with it.

Great, I am really curious how you will do, please do report back! Of course, experience and practice is really important.

I'm still not 100% sold on the body of the GX85 though. Coming from the GX1, I really thought it would had kept the smaller form. Yes, I compared sizes and specs, but that doesn't really seem that different until it's in your hand. I probably would had gone with the G85 had I held both of them prior. It just seems easier to hold and isn't that much bigger. Then picked up the smaller 850 for when we are out camping.

I understand, that is why I also have the GM5, which is my small ILC solution.

I am blown away by how many lenses there are now out as well. Last time I looked, there were maybe 6-8 panny lenses. I could see me eventually getting the 12-35mm for a nice indoor companion and the 12-60 looks really idea for when we are out camping or just not wanting to change lenses. Gonna have to check out the Oly options too now.

I have the 12-35 and it is really a very capable combination with the GX80. A bit short though, so I am eyeballing the Leica 12-60mm/2.8-4 as well. I can also recommend the 14-140mm (the new one), it is a very nice one lens solution.

Here's some of my more favorite shots using the 45-150 with the GX1. These are not touched. I have printed some out at poster size (which mom says is too big lol) with a little touch up and they look pretty good considering the equipment and my skills (or lack of).

Her friend.

The 20mm doing it's thing. Can't wait to see how the 25mm works in places I was using the 20.

Thanks, these pictures look nice to me (at least at the small size you have provided). I am pretty sure you will have no problem to get images like this regularly with the GX85, with a little practice.

kolyy's gear list:kolyy's gear list
Canon G9 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7 III

BertrandJow wrote:

scottyinfrisco wrote:

I got this lens only recently but I'm quite pleased with it (I've also used it for concerts and got good results in very low light). I'm quite conservative with regards to ISO (probably I'm used to smaller/lower quality sensors) and did not have to increase brightness during post-processing; you could certainly achieve the same shutter speed and similar IQ with a slower lens playing with these factors (in fact the last shot was with a slow tele zoom).

Please note I was close to the court and still had to crop, you may want a longer lens depending on how far you'll be from the action.

Well, I got a little purchase happy on Amazon today.  My 42.5 F1.7 Should be arriving Saturday.  Not sure if it will be here in time for the comp, probably not.

Roy Bell wrote:

BertrandJow wrote:

scottyinfrisco wrote:

Well, I got a little purchase happy on Amazon today. My 42.5 F1.7 Should be arriving Saturday. Not sure if it will be here in time for the comp, probably not.

Bad news Roy, I called UPS and had it redirected!!

Canon EOS 70D Sony a6300 Fujifilm X-T2 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +9 more
One poor sample

Well, this gym was horrendous. Lighting was terrible. As a result, I decided it best to try the 25MM because it's was much faster than my new 35-100 I just got. My 45 1.7 did not make it to the house in time, but I think that lens would had been a winner yesterday.

We were also sitting on the side lines vs in front this time. I kept it at 1600 iso. Best I could get shutter to was 160. As a result, the pictures came out OK, but not great. Here is one that I cropped and sharpened just a hair.

Daughter is the one mid air flipping on the left. I used center focus and panned with the burst shutter option.

One thing I am not sure on is the exif is showing F2.2. The lens is a 1.7 so I must had missed a step in locking the aperture. Would that had made a big difference? I am guessing yes? I'll get this dang thing figured out yet. I have to go through the other photos, but some of them where they are not moving quickly turned out pretty decent.

Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 20,193
Upgrading? Now consider this...

Sorry - just caught this read, so I'm a bit late perhaps.

OK - to preface my remarks, I have the GX1 and I absolute love it.  I still have the earlier GF1 and these two cameras are just superb platforms and are in no way obsolete - to use that term.  Their IQ capabilities are superb to say the least.

Where subsequent releases have improved (other than keeping a constant 16 MP's) are in the areas of:

1.  Gradual, yet consistent shift towards a slightly more warmish color tonality.  Let's face it, most earlier Panny cams weren't stellar in the skin tones department.

2.  Gradual, yet consistent shift towards cleaner high ISO scenarios - even if it involved improvements of just 1/4 - 1/2 DB in cleaner images as you went upwards in ISO.

3.  AF - a gradual (yet slight) increase in AF speeds.  But the GX1 was no slouch in that department either.  AF tracking will see improvements as you progress towards the latest releases.

In the end however, if you are upgrading to another 16 MP camera, well...you're still at only 16 MP's (and there's nothing wrong with that).  For me personally, between all of my M43 and Fuji X gear, I'm all 16 MP'd out to the max.

I would like to suggest this - and that is if there is any way to keep your GX1, I'd do so because it is a unique cam - both in appearance and ergonomics.  Should you sell it, you will have to do so for a pittance.  And after having parted with it, you eventually begin to miss aspects about having owned that camera.  That's why I'm never letting go of mine.  I married my GX1 up with the stellar Panny kit 12-60 f3.5-5.6 OIS lens (which punches far above its weight) and what a great combination that has become.

Would I have loved to get the GX85?  Hell yes, as there are a number of reasons for doing so.  But then again, I'd just be, well...jumping to another 16 MP model.  If I were going to upgrade, it would be to a 20 MP model (i.e. GX8, a Pen F, or an E-M Mk II - or now the Panny G9 - and within the next few months more 20 MP releases will come).

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
Bernd ("Ben") Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina USA

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P6000 Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X10 Samsung EX2F +34 more
Re: One poor sample

Not bad for starters.  Gotta move the shutter speed to 1/400 or 1/500, push iso to auto 6400 and open the lens up to wide open and work backwards.  I think this combo will provide very nice results.  The 42.5 1.7 is the ticket. Thanks for posting

scottyinfrisco wrote:

Not bad for starters. Gotta move the shutter speed to 1/400 or 1/500, push iso to auto 6400 and open the lens up to wide open and work backwards. I think this combo will provide very nice results. The 42.5 1.7 is the ticket. Thanks for posting

I know.  I had a hard time getting shutter up.  I did some practice shots with 6400 and it looks a little grainy with the 25 at the distance I was going for. I knew I was going to crop so I wasn't sure if it would be worth it.  The routine happens so fast and is pretty short so it's hard to play around with settings mid performance.  Couple more lenses and I will be set for any condition

Re: Upgrading? Now consider this...

Ben Herrmann wrote:

Sorry - just caught this read, so I'm a bit late perhaps.

OK - to preface my remarks, I have the GX1 and I absolute love it. I still have the earlier GF1 and these two cameras are just superb platforms and are in no way obsolete - to use that term. Their IQ capabilities are superb to say the least.

Where subsequent releases have improved (other than keeping a constant 16 MP's) are in the areas of:

1. Gradual, yet consistent shift towards a slightly more warmish color tonality. Let's face it, most earlier Panny cams weren't stellar in the skin tones department.

2. Gradual, yet consistent shift towards cleaner high ISO scenarios - even if it involved improvements of just 1/4 - 1/2 DB in cleaner images as you went upwards in ISO.

3. AF - a gradual (yet slight) increase in AF speeds. But the GX1 was no slouch in that department either. AF tracking will see improvements as you progress towards the latest releases.

In the end however, if you are upgrading to another 16 MP camera, well...you're still at only 16 MP's (and there's nothing wrong with that). For me personally, between all of my M43 and Fuji X gear, I'm all 16 MP'd out to the max.

I would like to suggest this - and that is if there is any way to keep your GX1, I'd do so because it is a unique cam - both in appearance and ergonomics. Should you sell it, you will have to do so for a pittance. And after having parted with it, you eventually begin to miss aspects about having owned that camera. That's why I'm never letting go of mine. I married my GX1 up with the stellar Panny kit 12-60 f3.5-5.6 OIS lens (which punches far above its weight) and what a great combination that has become.

Would I have loved to get the GX85? Hell yes, as there are a number of reasons for doing so. But then again, I'd just be, well...jumping to another 16 MP model. If I were going to upgrade, it would be to a 20 MP model (i.e. GX8, a Pen F, or an E-M Mk II - or now the Panny G9 - and within the next few months more 20 MP releases will come).

You are right about the GX1 Ergonomics.  It feels so good in the hand.  Good idea throwing the small zoom kit lens on it.  I may do that.  If the kid doesn't ask about the camera, maybe it will make it's way back into my bag

Roy Bell wrote

Couple more lenses and I will be set for any condition

Famous last words!!!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads