Upgrading my GX1- Is GX85 enough for indoor sports?

Started Dec 11, 2017 | Discussions
Roy Bell New Member • Posts: 21
Upgrading my GX1- Is GX85 enough for indoor sports?

Hey all. I have had my GX1 for quite some time now and decided to upgrade. I am a causal shooter and really like the camera for what it is- very compact and simple to operate with good photos. Obviously since the camera is coming up on being out for 7 years, it's getting a little outdated compared to my Note 8 phone which can shoot 4K

I did some brief research and it looked like the most logical move would be the GX85. It's cost friendly, had the features I wanted (4K) and some extra like the 5 axis stability. However, once it arrived, I was kind of surprised of how heavy and large the camera was in comparison to my GX1. This is pushing it for a pocket camera and I am debating if I should had just gotten the GX850 like I Was going to originally. I did some brief testing around the house on objects and pets and while the AF was extremely better than my GX1, I felt the end result wasn't 7 years better than my antiquated GX1.

This brings me to the next question. Is this enough camera for indoor sports (cheerleading, vollyball, etc)? The daughter joined cheerleading this year and I obviously want to get some good shots of her doing flips. I tried shooting video this weekend with the new one and, while the video was great with the 4K, trying to grab a frame of her mid air proved to be near impossible. Next weekend I will try just shooting normally and scrap the video idea.

The GX1 proved pretty good with her outdoor sports (horseback riding, soccer) coupled with the 45-150 lens. However, in dimly lit gyms, my frustration is growing with the M43.

I am looking for some suggestions here. Should I stick with the GX85 and invest in some better lenses? 12-35, 35-100?

Current lenses I own are the original 14-42MM, 20MM, 25MM, and 45-150MM and the 12-32MM that came on the GX85

Or should I get the GX850 for a more pocket friendly camera and invest in a better shooter for the indoor stuff- C, DSLR, GH5/G9?

One issue I am having with the cheerleading stuff (since we are new to sport) is that we never sit in the same spot at these gyms. Last week we were almost on the mat and my 20mm wasn't wide enough for video. This weekend I could had used the 45-150 but we were sitting too low (judges in the way) so I moved to the floor and shot around 20mm on the stock lens. I of course did not even bring the 20mm prime this time. Spending almost a G note on the 12-35 might be great at one event, but the next one I will need more lens.

One of the other mothers was shooting with what appeared to be a C/DSLR Nikon and had some great pictures sitting all the way up in the stands. Am I asking for too much out of this platform? Or, should I invest in faster lenses and practice a little more with the indoor stuff? I appreciate the help and look forward to everyone's suggestions.

Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
scottyinfrisco Contributing Member • Posts: 842
Re: Upgrading my GX1- Is GX85 enough for indoor sports?

I’m in the middle of this self discussion as well. I think m43 is very capable indoors.  If you like the system, it’s about the glass (and that goes for all formats) for indoors.  The 42.5 1.7 is going to be my first pickup for basketball.  I think the Panasonic 2.8 zooms are great place to look as well, but more light in is better, always.  Someone posted on this forum figure skating shots taken with GX85 and the Olympus 40-150 2.8. They looked as good as any shots you’ll see in that environment.

I’ve jumped formats too many times at this point.  I come back to the same two all the time m43 and Fujifilm.  You really need to put the time in with any system and learn it for your application.  Low light, indoors and  movement doesn’t have a magic bullet.

Hope that helped.

scottyinfrisco's gear list:scottyinfrisco's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +7 more
kolyy Contributing Member • Posts: 833

Roy Bell wrote:

Hey all. I have had my GX1 for quite some time now and decided to upgrade. I am a causal shooter and really like the camera for what it is- very compact and simple to operate with good photos. Obviously since the camera is coming up on being out for 7 years, it's getting a little outdated compared to my Note 8 phone which can shoot 4K

I did some brief research and it looked like the most logical move would be the GX85. It's cost friendly, had the features I wanted (4K) and some extra like the 5 axis stability. However, once it arrived, I was kind of surprised of how heavy and large the camera was in comparison to my GX1. This is pushing it for a pocket camera and I am debating if I should had just gotten the GX850 like I Was going to originally. I did some brief testing around the house on objects and pets and while the AF was extremely better than my GX1, I felt the end result wasn't 7 years better than my antiquated GX1.

The GX850 is significantly smaller. but you loose the EVF and IBIS. 4K video is limited to 5 min., burst shooting is slower and the RAW buffer is smaller. Controls are more limited on the GX800 (single rear wheel vs two dials). On the other hand, image quality and autofocus performance is the same.

This brings me to the next question. Is this enough camera for indoor sports (cheerleading, vollyball, etc)? The daughter joined cheerleading this year and I obviously want to get some good shots of her doing flips. I tried shooting video this weekend with the new one and, while the video was great with the 4K, trying to grab a frame of her mid air proved to be near impossible. Next weekend I will try just shooting normally and scrap the video idea.

Autofocus in video is slow, it is much faster in stills. I would not suggest shooting video or 4K Photo (which is in fact video as well) if what you want is stills. Shoot bursts in medium speed (6fps with live view) and choose a single small focusing area. I prefer AFF to AFC. I am not sure if you are used to using an EVF - use it, it will help you aim better.

The GX1 proved pretty good with her outdoor sports (horseback riding, soccer) coupled with the 45-150 lens. However, in dimly lit gyms, my frustration is growing with the M43.

You need a bright lens for that. You have to keep shutter speed high in order to get sharp pictures (freeze motion) and a bright lens will allow you the get it at more reasonable ISOs.

I am looking for some suggestions here. Should I stick with the GX85 and invest in some better lenses? 12-35, 35-100?

It does not matter if you stick with the GX85, you need a bright lens for indoor sports. The F2.8 zooms are a good idea, they provide not just more light, but very fast autofocus as well. If you need longer reach, there is the Olympus 40-150/2.8 as well.

Alternatively, you can use a set of primes. You have a 25mm (which one?), you can add the Panasonic 42.5/1.7 and/or Olympus 75mm/1.8. With primes you get more light, but sacrifice flexibility. You need to be able to choose your position in order to utilize primes effectively.

Current lenses I own are the original 14-42MM, 20MM, 25MM, and 45-150MM and the 12-32MM that came on the GX85

Or should I get the GX850 for a more pocket friendly camera and invest in a better shooter for the indoor stuff- C, DSLR, GH5/G9?

Possibly. The question is what is your constraint. If it is the amount of light, a different camera will not help, you need a bright lens first.

One issue I am having with the cheerleading stuff (since we are new to sport) is that we never sit in the same spot at these gyms. Last week we were almost on the mat and my 20mm wasn't wide enough for video. This weekend I could had used the 45-150 but we were sitting too low (judges in the way) so I moved to the floor and shot around 20mm on the stock lens. I of course did not even bring the 20mm prime this time. Spending almost a G note on the 12-35 might be great at one event, but the next one I will need more lens.

One of the other mothers was shooting with what appeared to be a C/DSLR Nikon and had some great pictures sitting all the way up in the stands. Am I asking for too much out of this platform? Or, should I invest in faster lenses and practice a little more with the indoor stuff? I appreciate the help and look forward to everyone's suggestions.

I would practice at this point, to gain experience and to make sure where the constraints are. What was the problem with the frame grab? Focus, motion blur, noise or composition? What was your aperture, shutter speed and ISO?

If you are going to stay with M43 at least for video, buying a fast lens would not go to waste. If you have the funds, a 35-100mm/2.8 seems the best option to me. Or one of the longer primes, they would double as a compact portrait lens as well. You can use the 25mm when a wider view is necessary (the 20mm is slower to focus).

kolyy's gear list:kolyy's gear list
Canon G9 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7 III
BarnET Veteran Member • Posts: 3,579

No, Panasonic C-AF just isn't as good as the competition that uses on sensor phase-detect or regular Dslr's with mid range AF solutions. Example D3400 is crap the D5300 and above is fine in this regard.

ISO performance is better on the GX85 compared to your GX1. As it has a newer version 16mp sensor which is pretty old at this point anyway. think 1/3rd stop at equal noise levels. Sure a advantage but not a night and day one. If you'd move from the GX1 to a modern DSLR or Sony A6000+/Fuji X-T20 you'd see a advantage worth a full stop.

Still using fast glass indoors is extremely beneficial. Nikon Sony and Canon have cheap 50mm lenses for that. Fujifilm not so much. The 50mm F2 is about twice as expensive but it is weathersealed unlike the others.

If you want to stay within M43 the best option in my opinion would be the original EM1. If you can find a good condition one at a reasonable price. Since that camera does have on sensor PDAF. And also access to an relatively affordable amazing fast zoom.

The 50-200mm F2.8-3.5 SWD 4/3 lens. Yes it needs an adapter but it's just great optically with good range at an fast aperture.

Fujifilm has a 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 which is roughly equiv. due to it's larger sensor size. (less reach though)

On Dslr's your either looking at slower glass or much more expensive/heavy constant aperture zooms.

Sony E-mount same problem as the Dslr's on telephoto lenses as their high quality ones are made for fullframe. Their Apsc Zoom is unfortunately garbage.

BarnET's gear list:BarnET's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS

BarnET wrote:

No, Panasonic C-AF just isn't as good as the competition that uses on sensor phase-detect or regular Dslr's with mid range AF solutions. Example D3400 is crap the D5300 and above is fine in this regard.

But it might be also fair to add that the D5XXX series is crippled by a very small buffer. Five images, as I have read. It is up to consideration what is more important, hit rate or buffer, I think.

My own experience with shooting moving subjects with the GX80/85 is very good.  I get good hit rate in most circumstances. Initial autofocus acquisition is very quick, including interior lighting. The lenses have very AF motors in general. The buffer is very large for this class, burst speed is good, live view is usable. The full coverage with AF points is very nice, the touchscreen helps to quickly choose one. So I think this camera (and its bigger brother G80/85)  is a very solid budget option for shooting moving subjects and I would not suggest to run out and buy something different before gaining experience and making sure the camera is not up to the task at hand.

OP Roy Bell New Member • Posts: 21

kolyy wrote:

Roy Bell wrote:

The GX850 is significantly smaller. but you loose the EVF and IBIS. 4K video is limited to 5 min., burst shooting is slower and the RAW buffer is smaller. Controls are more limited on the GX800 (single rear wheel vs two dials). On the other hand, image quality and autofocus performance is the same.

Autofocus in video is slow, it is much faster in stills. I would not suggest shooting video or 4K Photo (which is in fact video as well) if what you want is stills. Shoot bursts in medium speed (6fps with live view) and choose a single small focusing area. I prefer AFF to AFC. I am not sure if you are used to using an EVF - use it, it will help you aim better.

You need a bright lens for that. You have to keep shutter speed high in order to get sharp pictures (freeze motion) and a bright lens will allow you the get it at more reasonable ISOs.

It does not matter if you stick with the GX85, you need a bright lens for indoor sports. The F2.8 zooms are a good idea, they provide not just more light, but very fast autofocus as well. If you need longer reach, there is the Olympus 40-150/2.8 as well.

Alternatively, you can use a set of primes. You have a 25mm (which one?), you can add the Panasonic 42.5/1.7 and/or Olympus 75mm/1.8. With primes you get more light, but sacrifice flexibility. You need to be able to choose your position in order to utilize primes effectively.

Possibly. The question is what is your constraint. If it is the amount of light, a different camera will not help, you need a bright lens first.

I would practice at this point, to gain experience and to make sure where the constraints are. What was the problem with the frame grab? Focus, motion blur, noise or composition? What was your aperture, shutter speed and ISO?

If you are going to stay with M43 at least for video, buying a fast lens would not go to waste. If you have the funds, a 35-100mm/2.8 seems the best option to me. Or one of the longer primes, they would double as a compact portrait lens as well. You can use the 25mm when a wider view is necessary (the 20mm is slower to focus).

So I went home and played with the camera a bit around the house. In the dimly lit dining room, I was able to bump iso way higher than I anticipated. Like 6400 it wasn't too bad and 12K was actually usable. I had no problem reading the label on the wine bottle with even the kit lens. In this regard, it blows the GX1 out of the water. I don't think I ever really went over 1600 on the GX1.  The gym lighting is at least twice the amount I was playing with last  night so I am pretty excited to try the higher iso in the gym now.

I ordered the 35-100 mm lens and can't wait to give that a try in the gym. My 25MM is the 1.7 version. This weekend is another competition. So hopefully my lens comes in and I can try it a bit beforehand. My GX85 came in about 10 minutes before I headed out the door last weekend so I didn't get any seat time with it.

I'm still not 100% sold on the body of the GX85 though. Coming from the GX1, I really thought it would had kept the smaller form. Yes, I compared sizes and specs, but that doesn't really seem that different until it's in your hand. I probably would had gone with the G85 had I held both of them prior. It just seems easier to hold and isn't that much bigger. Then picked up the smaller 850 for when we are out camping.

I am blown away by how many lenses there are now out as well. Last time I looked, there were maybe 6-8 panny lenses. I could see me eventually getting the 12-35mm for a nice indoor companion and the 12-60 looks really idea for when we are out camping or just not wanting to change lenses. Gonna have to check out the Oly options too now.

I will see how GX85 does this weekend. I was going to donate the GX1 to the oldest to play with since she was mentioning looking at cameras and been playing around with an older 35mm she found. I think it would be great for her to play with and learn the basics on. I get out of the hobby for long stretches so it takes time for me to get back on my feet and learn everything all over again. I will report back after the weekend.

Love to see a few shots from this combo! N/T

No text.

Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +7 more
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 10,491

Roy Bell wrote:

Brighter lenses will help with AF in low light. That's why I bought a 12/2.0 even though I already had a 12-35/2.8.

No matter what camera you get, you're going to need a bright telezoom or some bright tele primes for the stuff that's giving you trouble. I suggest you start there.

There's your answer: you need "more lens". You can get the original 12-35/2.8 for $700.

Something like a 7DII or D7200 might do better, but the f2.8 zooms are gonna bust your piggy bank, and if you go for f4 zooms instead, you won't get any high-ISO noise benefit.

I'd sell the 14-42 and the 20 (relatively slow AF), and get the 12-35/2.8 and/or 35-100/2.8. Might also consider a 12mm f2.0 or f1.4 and a 45mm f1.8 / 42.5mm f1.7 and/or 75mm f1.8

There's no cheap way to get the performance you're after.

-- hide signature --

If you think digital is hard, try slide film.
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +29 more
phaet2112 Regular Member • Posts: 127

There's no cheap way to get the performance you're after.

There is if you try a manual 135 f2.8 lens and prefocus on a spot down on the floor with blinkies.  Not that it is the only answer, but manual focus is very doable.

phaet2112's gear list:phaet2112's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +1 more
Dr Hal Senior Member • Posts: 1,386

I use the GX85 for both indoor and outdoor sports and it is fine.  I use it for basketball, indoor lacrosse and indoor field hockey.  All are fast sports and it is fine.  I also use it for indoor gymnastics and it is fine.  You will be blown away by just how good this camera is.

Hal

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
OP Roy Bell New Member • Posts: 21

Dr Hal wrote:

I use the GX85 for both indoor and outdoor sports and it is fine. I use it for basketball, indoor lacrosse and indoor field hockey. All are fast sports and it is fine. I also use it for indoor gymnastics and it is fine. You will be blown away by just how good this camera is.

Hal

Which lens do you use for indoor stuff?

Dr Hal wrote:

I use the GX85 for both indoor and outdoor sports and it is fine. I use it for basketball, indoor lacrosse and indoor field hockey. All are fast sports and it is fine. I also use it for indoor gymnastics and it is fine. You will be blown away by just how good this camera is.

Hal

I'd love to see some examples, as I intend much the same use. I too am interested in lens choice for that shooting. Thx

addlightness Senior Member • Posts: 2,745

I bought my GX85 precisely for indoors events - basketball and school band - shot in 4k burst mode.  In 4k burst mode, I get to keep the video clips as well as extracting 8MB frames from them.

As most members already pointed out, for indoor action moments, you'd need fast lenses.  I shoot with 30/f1.4, 45/1.8 and 75/1.8.  I use two camera bodies - GX85 and PEN-F, the latter for stills.  If you're comfortable with ISO6400 and higher, any f2.8 lens, including 35-100/f2.8, would be a minimum especially when you need faster shutter speed(say, 1/400s or faster) to freeze the actions.  I prefer faster primes to allow more headroom for SS vs ISO.

addlightness's gear list:addlightness's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +9 more

addlightness wrote:

I bought my GX85 precisely for indoors events - basketball and school band - shot in 4k burst mode. In 4k burst mode, I get to keep the video clips as well as extracting 8MB frames from them.

Interesting. In my experience the autofocus in 4K Photo is very slow. I guess it is ok for the band, but basketball seems a lot more demanding to me. How do you cope with that, especially when using the telephoto primes (45mm and 75mm)? Thanks!

kolyy wrote:

addlightness wrote:

I bought my GX85 precisely for indoors events - basketball and school band - shot in 4k burst mode. In 4k burst mode, I get to keep the video clips as well as extracting 8MB frames from them.

Interesting. In my experience the autofocus in 4K Photo is very slow. I guess it is ok for the band, but basketball seems a lot more demanding to me. How do you cope with that, especially when using the telephoto primes (45mm and 75mm)? Thanks!

I haven't notice 4K video AF issues so far.  Maybe because my video clips are short (~10-25 secs long) around the hoops and I shoot from the sideline(not from endline), so the shooting plane is kind of constant as I pan across.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +9 more

addlightness wrote:

kolyy wrote:

addlightness wrote:

I haven't notice 4K video AF issues so far. Maybe because my video clips are short (~10-25 secs long) around the hoops and I shoot from the sideline(not from endline), so the shooting plane is kind of constant as I pan across.

Thanks, what focusing mode do you use (single area, 49 area, tracking, etc)? Didn't you encounter a problem with the tendency to focus on the background?

Roy Bell wrote:

I ordered the 35-100 mm lens and can't wait to give that a try in the gym. My 25MM is the 1.7 version. This weekend is another competition. So hopefully my lens comes in and I can try it a bit beforehand. My GX85 came in about 10 minutes before I headed out the door last weekend so I didn't get any seat time with it.

Great, I am really curious how you will do, please do report back! Of course, experience and practice is really important.

I'm still not 100% sold on the body of the GX85 though. Coming from the GX1, I really thought it would had kept the smaller form. Yes, I compared sizes and specs, but that doesn't really seem that different until it's in your hand. I probably would had gone with the G85 had I held both of them prior. It just seems easier to hold and isn't that much bigger. Then picked up the smaller 850 for when we are out camping.

I understand, that is why I also have the GM5, which is my small ILC solution.

I am blown away by how many lenses there are now out as well. Last time I looked, there were maybe 6-8 panny lenses. I could see me eventually getting the 12-35mm for a nice indoor companion and the 12-60 looks really idea for when we are out camping or just not wanting to change lenses. Gonna have to check out the Oly options too now.

I have the 12-35 and it is really a very capable combination with the GX80. A bit short though, so I am eyeballing the Leica 12-60mm/2.8-4 as well. I can also recommend the 14-140mm (the new one), it is a very nice one lens solution.

kolyy wrote:

addlightness wrote:

kolyy wrote:

addlightness wrote:

I haven't notice 4K video AF issues so far. Maybe because my video clips are short (~10-25 secs long) around the hoops and I shoot from the sideline(not from endline), so the shooting plane is kind of constant as I pan across.

Thanks, what focusing mode do you use (single area, 49 area, tracking, etc)? Didn't you encounter a problem with the tendency to focus on the background?

Single area.  No tracking.  No hunting once I press the rec button.

BertrandJow New Member • Posts: 22

Roy Bell wrote:

I've had my GX85 (and my first m4/3) for just a few months now and am still fumbling my way around it—so take this for what it's worth—but I think you don't need to upgrade. The GX85 is good enough for indoor sports, worst-case scenario you just need to buy faster lenses.

Here are a few shots I took with the 42.5mm/1.7 (45-175mm/4-5.6 for the last one - could and should have used this one more):

Now I had a terrible success rate with the autofocus and you can see that in some of the shots, but that's down to me rather than the camera. Also keep in mind that most images were shot at f=42.5mm and so are quite heavily cropped, had I taken them with the 45-175 like I did the last one the resolution would be much higher.

I'm quite sure a skilled photographer could get great sports shots out of this camera.

technotic Regular Member • Posts: 312

What a great thread! A good question with people offering relevant, helpful and supportive advice to each other. What a shame it is rare on DPR.

Anyway for myself I don't have much experience with sports but I do shoot events indoors and I concur that fast glass is more key here along with waiting and anticipating rather than spray and pray. I go for primes myself especially Olympus 25 and 45 which are so good. I have the GX7 and can get nice results. I have realised that is best to have a noisy image then one that has trace of motion blur so don't be afraid of ISO6400. Turning the image to black and white can make high ISO images look great.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads