help: 55mm or 85mm?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
jor23 Senior Member • Posts: 1,075
help: 55mm or 85mm?

I am heading to London with family for a couple of weeks.

Going to bring A7ii and 16-35 f4 lens. Also going to bring Fuji x100t

Should I take my 55mm or 85mm FE?

Leaning towards 55mm as I mainly take pictures of my wife and kid, so limited working distance. On the other hand, 55mm is kind of close to the 35mm on x100t.

Thanks!!!

Fujifilm X100T
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
goodbokeh
goodbokeh Contributing Member • Posts: 502
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?
1

jor23 wrote:

I am heading to London with family for a couple of weeks.

Going to bring A7ii and 16-35 f4 lens. Also going to bring Fuji x100t

Should I take my 55mm or 85mm FE?

Leaning towards 55mm as I mainly take pictures of my wife and kid, so limited working distance. On the other hand, 55mm is kind of close to the 35mm on x100t.

Thanks!!!

Yes, 55mm is close to 35mm. I'd go with the 85mm for those times when getting closer to the subject is difficult to do.

 goodbokeh's gear list:goodbokeh's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic GH5 Sony Alpha a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +20 more
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,818
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?
3

55 will be much more versatile. I prefer the photos out of an 85, but it requires a lot of space. 55 will enable you to have more freedom with framing while still having decent subject isolation if you want it.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

 sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony Alpha a7R II Rokinon AF 50mm F1.4 FE Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Rokinon AF 35mm F1.4 FE +3 more
xiaoheli New Member • Posts: 24
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?

Sounds over represented on wide lens and under represented for family portrait (85)? If your objective is camera man with max 3pc of toys in bag, 16-35, 55, 85 covers all you need for professional photos, if your objective is family portrait, 55 and 85 prime gives most beautiful bokeh, most city shots unless you camp in the bar... , if your objective is travel light and occasionally record the urban vibe, X100 alone can do the job and make you live in the present with family without juggling cameras. Enjoy the trip and good luck

 xiaoheli's gear list:xiaoheli's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Leica M10 Leica M9 Leica TL2 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +8 more
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,936
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?

55 - you'll get more shots with it than the 85.

 noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a6500 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +3 more
terryreid
terryreid Senior Member • Posts: 1,631
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?
1

noggin2k1 wrote:

55 - you'll get more shots with it than the 85.

The 50 1.4 ZA is better than the 50 in so many ways. I would take a good look at it, I like my 85GM a lot but I take just as many portraits with my 50 and like the little added DOF but still very nice bokeh.

It is a more versatile FL if its one or the other also.

Please do not put words in my mouth. Nothing can be further from the truth.

 terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +17 more
Tom Ames Senior Member • Posts: 1,255
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?
1

sportyaccordy wrote:

55 will be much more versatile. I prefer the photos out of an 85, but it requires a lot of space. 55 will enable you to have more freedom with framing while still having decent subject isolation if you want it.

I agree. This summer I tok my X100F plus the A7rII w/ 35 2.8 and 55 1.8.

Left my 85mm Batis at home.

I figured portraits with very shallow bokeh was not my main goal, the 55 worked just fine for subject isolation.

 Tom Ames's gear list:Tom Ames's gear list
Nikon D810 Fujifilm GFX 50S Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +11 more
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,936
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?

terryreid wrote:

noggin2k1 wrote:

55 - you'll get more shots with it than the 85.

The 50 1.4 ZA is better than the 50 in so many ways. I would take a good look at it, I like my 85GM a lot but I take just as many portraits with my 50 and like the little added DOF but still very nice bokeh.

It is a more versatile FL if its one or the other also.

I think the OP already has 55 & 85 to choose from - I don't think they're asking which one to buy, but which one of their current lenses to bring.

 noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a6500 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +3 more
terryreid
terryreid Senior Member • Posts: 1,631
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?

noggin2k1 wrote:

terryreid wrote:

noggin2k1 wrote:

55 - you'll get more shots with it than the 85.

The 50 1.4 ZA is better than the 50 in so many ways. I would take a good look at it, I like my 85GM a lot but I take just as many portraits with my 50 and like the little added DOF but still very nice bokeh.

It is a more versatile FL if its one or the other also.

I think the OP already has 55 & 85 to choose from - I don't think they're asking which one to buy, but which one of their current lenses to bring.

Gee first mistake I have made all year, dang it!

-- hide signature --

Please do not put words in my mouth. Nothing can be further from the truth.

 terryreid's gear list:terryreid's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +17 more
BBQue Senior Member • Posts: 7,536
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?
1

jor23 wrote:

I am heading to London with family for a couple of weeks.

Going to bring A7ii and 16-35 f4 lens. Also going to bring Fuji x100t

Should I take my 55mm or 85mm FE?

Leaning towards 55mm as I mainly take pictures of my wife and kid, so limited working distance. On the other hand, 55mm is kind of close to the 35mm on x100t.

Thanks!!!

55 is too close to 35, I would definitely choose 85. But I also would leave the Fuji at home. Or take the Fuji and leave the Sony at home. Why bother with two different systems?

MrT-Man Senior Member • Posts: 1,470
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?
1

The working distance of an 85mm really isn't that far. I'd definitely take 85 over 55.

 MrT-Man's gear list:MrT-Man's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +6 more
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,936
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?
1

terryreid wrote:

noggin2k1 wrote:

terryreid wrote:

noggin2k1 wrote:

55 - you'll get more shots with it than the 85.

The 50 1.4 ZA is better than the 50 in so many ways. I would take a good look at it, I like my 85GM a lot but I take just as many portraits with my 50 and like the little added DOF but still very nice bokeh.

It is a more versatile FL if its one or the other also.

I think the OP already has 55 & 85 to choose from - I don't think they're asking which one to buy, but which one of their current lenses to bring.

Gee first mistake I have made all year, dang it!

It's the weekend - mistakes don't count today

 noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a6500 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +3 more
Alantkh Regular Member • Posts: 190
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?

MrT-Man wrote:

The working distance of an 85mm really isn't that far. I'd definitely take 85 over 55.

Yup,  I even shoot at 160mm full body on my vacations. 85mm is really pretty manageable.

sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,308
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?
1

jor23 wrote:

I am heading to London with family for a couple of weeks.

Going to bring A7ii and 16-35 f4 lens. Also going to bring Fuji x100t

Should I take my 55mm or 85mm FE?

Leaning towards 55mm as I mainly take pictures of my wife and kid, so limited working distance. On the other hand, 55mm is kind of close to the 35mm on x100t.

Thanks!!!

I did a trip to China earlier this year and only took an RX1mk2 (35 just like the X100T). I never felt like I needed something else, but I tend to only look for the shots I can get with the camera and lens combo I am using at a given time. Some people see all the shots and feel badly that they don't have the right combo with them.

If I was in your situation, I'd think strongly about only taking the X100T. If I was going to take another camera and lens combo then I'd do the 85. I almost never travel with my 35 and 55. If I want something wider, then I might do my 28 and the 55, but not the 35. That's just me, though.

 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
OP jor23 Senior Member • Posts: 1,075
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?
1

I am leaving my 28mm home.

Have to take the 16-35 since I sort of bought it for this trip

OP jor23 Senior Member • Posts: 1,075
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?

yeah. sort of late to buy another lens and really don't feel the need.

OP jor23 Senior Member • Posts: 1,075
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?
1

my plan is to take the x100t with me most of the time. and have the sony system in our place or those days when i know we will visit some touristic sites.

OP jor23 Senior Member • Posts: 1,075
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?

i figured i could take just x100 for some days. it's not much bigger than the 28mm lens and look cool.

DoctorKajita
DoctorKajita Regular Member • Posts: 432
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?

Just returned from a trip to Japan and Taiwan with family. I brought 21mm, 35mm, 55mm and 90mm. I used the 35 and 90 the most. The 55 was the least used. YMMV.

-- hide signature --

I am a professional wannabe.

 DoctorKajita's gear list:DoctorKajita's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar +1 more
OP jor23 Senior Member • Posts: 1,075
Re: help: 55mm or 85mm?

traveling alone or with family?

I think it depends on what you are shooting. if mainly family, i'd imagine 55 is more useful than 85?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads