How to operate a slave flash with Vlux114

Started Dec 7, 2017 | Questions
bozzers New Member • Posts: 14
How to operate a slave flash with Vlux114

Does anyone know how to operate a "slave" flash with the v-lux 114.  I'm using a Metz 44 AF-1 that has a slave mode, but cannot seem to trigger it.  The Panasonic FZ1000 has an option in the menu to turn on wireless on Ch1 by default, but I can't find anything similar in the Vlux menu.  What am I missing?

ANSWER:
Leica V-Lux (Typ 114) Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rodrigue Zahr
Rodrigue Zahr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,279
Re: How to operate a slave flash with Vlux114

bozzers wrote:

Does anyone know how to operate a "slave" flash with the v-lux 114. I'm using a Metz 44 AF-1 that has a slave mode, but cannot seem to trigger it. The Panasonic FZ1000 has an option in the menu to turn on wireless on Ch1 by default, but I can't find anything similar in the Vlux menu. What am I missing?

If you set your Metz to slave and use the VLux  jilt in flash, then the Metz should trigger if it's within a proper range.

Rodrigue Zahr's gear list:Rodrigue Zahr's gear list
Leica Q Leica M9 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +8 more
OP bozzers New Member • Posts: 14

Thank you for the response.  However, I think I've tried just that and no luck.  Have you actually done this and/or what might I be doing wrong?

Vetteran
Vetteran Senior Member • Posts: 1,489

I don't believe the VLUX114 has the wireless trigger option. I think it's one of the few capability differences with the FZ1000.

If you're using a Slave flash, it should trigger so long as the slave sensor is receiving some light from the primary flash, in this case the built-in flash. As a test, just aim the slave flash at the VLUX114 built-in flash and see if that triggers the slave when the shutter is actuated. It should.

-- hide signature --

Warm regards and very respectfully,
VETTRAN
My travel blog:www.midlifetravels.com

Vetteran's gear list:Vetteran's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Leica X1 Leica X Vario Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Leica V-Lux (Typ 114) +6 more
Rodrigue Zahr
Rodrigue Zahr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,279

bozzers wrote:

Thank you for the response. However, I think I've tried just that and no luck. Have you actually done this and/or what might I be doing wrong?

I’ve done this using the XVario and other cameras with built in flash to trigger profoto and Hansel  strobes. The thing is that this technique is so simple and it has nothing to do with the camera but rather with the external flash or strobe being used as slave. It should fire when it detects the flashlight generated by the flash on the camera. If this is not working with you then it must be a flash issue “your Metz” or that the distance or angle between your camera flash and Metz is not appropriate!

Rodrigue Zahr's gear list:Rodrigue Zahr's gear list
Leica Q Leica M9 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +8 more

Vetteran wrote:

I don't believe the VLUX114 has the wireless trigger option. I think it's one of the few capability differences with the FZ1000.

If you're using a Slave flash, it should trigger so long as the slave sensor is receiving some light from the primary flash, in this case the built-in flash. As a test, just aim the slave flash at the VLUX114 built-in flash and see if that triggers the slave when the shutter is actuated. It should.

I believe you're correct.  The 114 does not have that option; at least not in the version of firmware that I have....1.0.  My friend has the FZ1000 and his firmware is 2.2 I believe.  I understand that we are talking apple and oranges here, but disappointed that Leica has not up'ed their game.  Also agree that flash should trigger the Metz in slave mode, but it does not.  Very annoying.  I'll keep working on it and post if I ever find a solution other than just buying triggers.

Thank you very much...will take a look at your blog.

Rodrigue Zahr wrote:

bozzers wrote:

Thank you for the response. However, I think I've tried just that and no luck. Have you actually done this and/or what might I be doing wrong?

I’ve done this using the XVario and other cameras with built in flash to trigger profoto and Hansel strobes. The thing is that this technique is so simple and it has nothing to do with the camera but rather with the external flash or strobe being used as slave. It should fire when it detects the flashlight generated by the flash on the camera. If this is not working with you then it must be a flash issue “your Metz” or that the distance or angle between your camera flash and Metz is not appropriate!

Thank you.  That's what I think.  I've been talking to them via email, and they are pointing out that this camera doesn't have a "wireless" flash mode...which the Panasonic version does.  However, I think that would mean Infrared or RF and not being triggered by the built in flash of the camera.  Odd, how they lumped everything into wireless.  I'm not though talking with them.....so maybe can figure it out.  It may be that this flash ONLY responds to RF or Infrared.  It's not clear to me yet.

Thank you.

lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 4,569

I don't see anything in the Metz manual and product webpage indicating that a flash will activate the slave mode unless it is a compatible TTL camera model i.e. Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Samsung and Pentax.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads