Bald Eagles

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 1,440
Bald Eagles

Seeing as today was supposed to be bright and sunny I decided to go back to where I got some decent shots of Short Eared owls and Harriers in gloomy light. Instead the day turned out to be all about Bald Eagles.

Even though taken from behind I still think this is one of my best ever Bald Eagle shots:

One was regal:

And one just looked scruffy:

One seemed menacing:

And this poor guy was in those in-between years: am I a kid or am I an adult? Adolescence can be hard...

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
rgwaller1
rgwaller1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,184
Re: Bald Eagles

Some  nice shots.

rgwaller1's gear list:rgwaller1's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-95 Sony RX10 IV Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6500 Sony Alpha a7R III +14 more
JPEG Shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,236

AlwynS wrote:

Seeing as today was supposed to be bright and sunny I decided to go back to where I got some decent shots of Short Eared owls and Harriers in gloomy light. Instead the day turned out to be all about Bald Eagles.

Even though taken from behind I still think this is one of my best ever Bald Eagle shots:

I agree with you... Love those back feathers.  Much more interesting than the small front feathers.  Great job.

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter

JPEG Shooter's gear list:JPEG Shooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Fujifilm X-S1 Olympus Tough TG-3 Sony RX10 IV Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 +3 more
dr jim Veteran Member • Posts: 6,310

Some terrific shots there. If only!  In all my years shooting birds I've even seen a Bald Eagle 3 times, and only 2 or 3 keepers.

You're right about that last shot. Like a teenage going through the pimply stage. LOL

-- hide signature --

Just my opinion and just for fun!
Jim

dr jim's gear list:dr jim's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +15 more
MedicineMan999
MedicineMan999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,373

Well done.

MedicineMan999's gear list:MedicineMan999's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-3 Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 +62 more
Evenstar606
Evenstar606 Senior Member • Posts: 2,054

AlwynS wrote:

One was regal:

One seemed menacing:

And this poor guy was in those in-between years: am I a kid or am I an adult? Adolescence can be hard...

These are awesome! Even viewed at 100% they look great.

-- hide signature --

Courtney

Evenstar606's gear list:Evenstar606's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80
OP AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 1,440

Thanks kindly!

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

Thanks Shooter. Typically I avoid taking photographs of birds from behind: looks like I should reconsider if circumstances are right.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

Thanks MM

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

dr jim wrote:

Some terrific shots there. If only! In all my years shooting birds I've even seen a Bald Eagle 3 times, and only 2 or 3 keepers.

Thanks Jim. We are very fortunate around these parts: Bald Eagles are plentiful. I am sure I could have counted more than 50 individual birds yesterday if I tried.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

Thanks very much Courtney. It certainly makes life easier if the light is good and the birds somewhat accommodating!

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

I'm old enough to remember when Bald Eagles were on the endangered species list. Less that 500 nesting pairs left. Current estimates are 14,000 nesting pairs. It's good to know sometimes we humans can do the right thing.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +15 more
Dacol Junior Member • Posts: 35

Great photos with lots of details. My favorite is the fourth from the top, the close-up portrait. The bird has a great expression looking back and I like the composition.

-- hide signature --

Dacol
Florida, USA

Dacol's gear list:Dacol's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony SLT-A55 Sony a77 II
Isabel Cutler
Isabel Cutler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,435
Re: Every one is spectacular....

and I have great admiration for your guys who go out in the wilds to find these beautiful subjects.

For a while I was a member of a local nature photographers group and getting up at 4am to go and freeze in the Outer Banks to photograph the sunrise wasn't my cup of tea.

I am too much of a princess to suffer weather extremes (or what a princess would call an "extreme".

Much of my bird photography will continue to be through my windows.  I think I have to put out a seed mix to attract the flying squirrels I had a few years ago - obviously, they don't like black oil sunflower seed.  They might like the homemade suet, but I take that in at night so the raccoons don't inhale it.

Isabel

Isabel Cutler's gear list:Isabel Cutler's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 7D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +1 more

Too funny and I totally get it.. I will admit I go out at sunrise to photograph sunrise and birds, but I live in California, so sometimes I have to wear a sweater!! OMG!  It's rough, LOL.  I always tune out when the discussions about weather sealing get fired up. Honestly, I'm not weather sealed so if moisture of any kind is falling from the sky, I and my camera are indoors. But then again, I'm in CA, so it's not a very frequent occurrence.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Horacecoker Senior Member • Posts: 2,002

AlwynS wrote:

One was regal:

One seemed menacing:

Great images of a majestic bird, well done Alwyn!

Not sure why you are shooting at F7.1 on a couple of the images when the lens is pin sharp at F4. At f7.1 you lose out on higher shutter speeds or lower ISO for best image quality. Not that there's anything wrong with the image quality on these shots.

Speaking of image quality, coincidentally someone has just started a thread with a couple of photos very similar to yours in the nature and wildlife forum. First image taken with Nikon full frame camera, second with APS-C Nikon (guy has two bodies). The lens used was a Nikkor prime 400mm F4. Lens plus both bodies cost roughly $14,000 with a combined weight of nearly 11lb.

Check the images out here

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60469117

Methinks our little RX10iv at $1700 and 2.4lb in weight stands up very well in comparison image quality wise. In fact your images look better to me. Makes a bit of a mockery of folk saying the RX10iv is expensive and heavy!! Not true for birders, that's for sure.

David

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2
Shiny Object Regular Member • Posts: 446

Excellent shots! There are several bald eagles in my area but I rarely get close enough to get anything more than a 2-3 MP crop. Consider me very envious of these excellent images.

I was, like David, a little curious about the use of f7.1 on a couple images. I typically don't stop down that far when shooting wildlife. But, hey, I'm not one to argue with your great results!

Shiny Object's gear list:Shiny Object's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX10 III Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +6 more

dr jim wrote:

I'm old enough to remember when Bald Eagles were on the endangered species list. Less that 500 nesting pairs left. Current estimates are 14,000 nesting pairs. It's good to know sometimes we humans can do the right thing.

Yes: in a time when we are used to hearing one ecological bad news story after another, this is truly a very welcome feel good story: love it!

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

Thanks Dacol: they certainly have the intimidating stare perfected!

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

Isabel Cutler wrote:

and I have great admiration for your guys who go out in the wilds to find these beautiful subjects.

For a while I was a member of a local nature photographers group and getting up at 4am to go and freeze in the Outer Banks to photograph the sunrise wasn't my cup of tea.

I am too much of a princess to suffer weather extremes (or what a princess would call an "extreme".

Much of my bird photography will continue to be through my windows. I think I have to put out a seed mix to attract the flying squirrels I had a few years ago - obviously, they don't like black oil sunflower seed. They might like the homemade suet, but I take that in at night so the raccoons don't inhale it.

Isabel

Thank you Isabel: you are most kind.

As regards getting out "in the wild": yesterday, while cold, was still lovely to be outside. This morning however was grey and foggy: I think I would have been better off staying at home! And if you can get interesting subjects through your window and you have all the enjoyment from that then that is a Good Thing (as Martha would have said...). Never mind a good thing: I think that is a wonderful blessing.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads