4/3 lens on EM10?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
StanTsui Senior Member • Posts: 1,260
4/3 lens on EM10?

Hello, I have an up coming week long hiking trip it is a little depress when looking at my e3. Love the e3 but haul it up and down the hill with the 12-60 and 50-200 for a week might be too much. Saw a post about a gentleman clipped one on the backpack down the page and it got me thinking. I have a m4/3 14-42 and 40-150 from the early pen day and it get me thinking about get a used em10 mkII for the trip. I have a few questions.

How durable/reliable is EM10 ii? Had a EPL3 and it was a toy

Is it reasonable with 4/3? I likely to bring 9-18 and 50 along(30 f1.4 maybe)

What speed of SD I need?

Which mmf should I get? consider I have 50-200 and both TC.

Is EM10ii a good pick? it is slightly more than em5/10, 40% less than used em5ii/em1

Oh I am heading to San Diego area, does it normally rain in Dec?  Any tip and pointer in SD welcome(food, beer, must see..etc).

Thanks.

StanTsui's gear list:StanTsui's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +2 more
Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN E-PL3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 14,285
Re: 4/3 lens on EM10?

Hi Stan, this is a pretty common crossroads.

StanTsui wrote:

Hello, I have an up coming week long hiking trip it is a little depress when looking at my e3. Love the e3 but haul it up and down the hill with the 12-60 and 50-200 for a week might be too much. Saw a post about a gentleman clipped one on the backpack down the page and it got me thinking. I have a m4/3 14-42 and 40-150 from the early pen day and it get me thinking about get a used em10 mkII for the trip. I have a few questions.

Have never heard of chronic issues with the M10ii, although I don't own one.

The 9-18 will eventually focus, being hybrid PDAF-CDAF, the others may or may not successfully focus so plan on MF override in tricky shooting settings.

What speed of SD I need?

Any decent SDXC Class 10 U3 card will work. Faster is better, to a point and don't forget upload time to your computer. They're cheap compared to CF cards.

Either MMF 2 or 3 is fine, but only the MMF3 is weatherproof*.

Is EM10ii a good pick? it is slightly more than em5/10, 40% less than used em5ii/em1

Since you have the 50-200 I strongly suggest the E-M1.1 instead. It's a vastly more sophisticated camera, all-metal, weatherproof*, better EVF, 1/8000 shutter and very importantly, PDAF so will focus your 4/3 lenses far better. The 50-200 remains an excellent option in the m4/3 world and reason enough to go E-M1.

You can't adequately prepare for the enormous jump in camera performance and image quality this switch will provide. Do plan on a spare battery or three--I'm happy with the cheap Wasabi clones.

Oh I am heading to San Diego area, does it normally rain in Dec? Any tip and pointer in SD welcome(food, beer, must see..etc).

It might rain but weather will probably be really nice and making the rest of us jealous. San Diego has one of the country's best micro-brewery scenes if you're so inclined. I'm a big fan of staying in the Mission Bay-Pacific Beach area.

Happy travels!

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,714

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Hi Stan, this is a pretty common crossroads.

StanTsui wrote:

Have never heard of chronic issues with the M10ii, although I don't own one.

The 9-18 will eventually focus, being hybrid PDAF-CDAF, the others may or may not successfully focus so plan on MF override in tricky shooting settings.

My 9-18 Legacy DSLR lens focuses as fast as the native m43s 9-18 and offers a bit better image quality I think. I tested this in the shop when I bought my camera, neither myself of the shop clerk could tell the difference in speed even in dim light.

My 9-18 and my 14-54 work great on my E-M10 mk1!  Focus with the 14-54 is a bit slower than the native kit lens, but more than makes up for it in image quality.  The 14-54 is BETTER on the E-M10 than it was on my E30. These two lenses are a bit larger than the native lenses, but the addition of an external grip makes it easy to hold them and the camera body.

The only lens I HAD to replace for my E-M10 was that larger 1st gen 40-150 that came with a 2 lens kit on the E500.  It was VERY slow to autofocus even in good light.  I replaced that lens with the m43s 40-150 kit.

What speed of SD I need?

Any decent SDXC Class 10 U3 card will work. Faster is better, to a point and don't forget upload time to your computer. They're cheap compared to CF cards.

Either MMF 2 or 3 is fine, but only the MMF3 is weatherproof*.

I'm a big proponent of either the mmf2 or MMf3 (I have the mmf3)  These don't seem to have the tolerance errors that some 3rd party adapters have.  I feel the legacy DSLR lenses are good enough that I don't want to risk compromising the IQ.

Since you have the 50-200 I strongly suggest the E-M1.1 instead. It's a vastly more sophisticated camera, all-metal, weatherproof*, better EVF, 1/8000 shutter and very importantly, PDAF so will focus your 4/3 lenses far better. The 50-200 remains an excellent option in the m4/3 world and reason enough to go E-M1.

You can't adequately prepare for the enormous jump in camera performance and image quality this switch will provide. Do plan on a spare battery or three--I'm happy with the cheap Wasabi clones.

The EM-1 is a good choice, but I don't feel I've been held back by my choice of the 1st gen E-M10.  When I use my native kit lenses, I get a small, light, and fast operating camera which is perfect for candids and street photography.  But when I use my legacy lenses, I get a fairly decent landscape and nature camera.

Oh I am heading to San Diego area, does it normally rain in Dec? Any tip and pointer in SD welcome(food, beer, must see..etc).

It might rain but weather will probably be really nice and making the rest of us jealous. San Diego has one of the country's best micro-brewery scenes if you're so inclined. I'm a big fan of staying in the Mission Bay-Pacific Beach area.

Happy travels!

Rick

-- hide signature --

The choices you make regarding Olympus cameras and lenses will probably be OK, no matter what.  I'm on my 3rd Oly camera, and haven't been disappointed yet.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more
dougjgreen1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,068
for use with the 50-200, I STRONGLY endorse an E-M1

It and it's newer mkII replacement are really the only m43 cameras that will consistently focus most of the older 4/3 glass quickly and accurately.  Plus, for a camping trip, the weather sealing is very useful to have.

The 4/3  version of the 9-18 might be fine on an E-M10, as focusing is not that critical for such a wide and small aperture lens, but if you really want the 50-200 to be a pleasant user experience, you will want the PDF focusing that only the E-M1 versions I and II provide.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 +17 more
Silviu11
Silviu11 Regular Member • Posts: 266

Have a MMF3 listed here for sale if interested, let me know.

Thanks

Silviu11's gear list:Silviu11's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 +22 more
OP StanTsui Senior Member • Posts: 1,260

I am trying not to pay for the premium because I don't know anything about EVF and my Pen exp still scare me a little.  I figure if I don't like the em10ii I should be able to unload it.  Also the cost as I have to buy mmf and SD card.

Olympus E-3 Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +2 more

Where you located?

Re: for use with the 50-200, I STRONGLY endorse an E-M1

I understand but also try to keep the cost in check, a used em1 cost $600US, a used em10ii cost $350.

And I am unlikely going to haul the 50-200, I am hoping I can get by with m4/3 40-150.  It is less about the weight more about the size.

Glen Barrington wrote:

My 9-18 Legacy DSLR lens focuses as fast as the native m43s 9-18 and offers a bit better image quality I think. I tested this in the shop when I bought my camera, neither myself of the shop clerk could tell the difference in speed even in dim light.

My 9-18 and my 14-54 work great on my E-M10 mk1! Focus with the 14-54 is a bit slower than the native kit lens, but more than makes up for it in image quality. The 14-54 is BETTER on the E-M10 than it was on my E30. These two lenses are a bit larger than the native lenses, but the addition of an external grip makes it easy to hold them and the camera body.

The only lens I HAD to replace for my E-M10 was that larger 1st gen 40-150 that came with a 2 lens kit on the E500. It was VERY slow to autofocus even in good light. I replaced that lens with the m43s 40-150 kit.

I have both 14-54 and 12-60, to pair either one with em10+mmf kinda deflect the purpose?  the 12-60 alone likely bigger than em10/14-42

StanTsui wrote:

I understand but also try to keep the cost in check, a used em1 cost $600US, a used em10ii cost $350.

And I am unlikely going to haul the 50-200, I am hoping I can get by with m4/3 40-150. It is less about the weight more about the size.

As I said, the main reason to get an E-M1 would be if you really wanted to continue using the 50-200mm lens and also the 12-60mm lens with m43. They are fine, fast lenses, and you could think of the E-M1 as the logical successor to the 4/3 DSLRs like your e-3, but with a much newer and better sensor, when using those lenses.

But I get your concerns about size and weight. For me, if I'm going really size/weight conscious, I go pure micro4/3. OTOH, if I care more about fast aperture glass, I go with the E-M1 and legacy 4/3 glass (and some manual glass). However, the 4/3 version of the 9-18 is probably pretty usable with any micro 4/3 body, because focus is not going to be critical, just about everything will be in focus - just make sure that you set the camera to continuous AF and to fire with the shutter taking priority over the focus, since the camera might hunt focus, but in reality everything will be pretty well focused. even if the camera is still hunting for perfection.

Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 +17 more
Ulfric M Douglas Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821

StanTsui wrote:

Is it reasonable with 4/3? I likely to bring 9-18 ...

My 4/3rds 9-18mm is excellent on all my m4/3rds bodies, from e-P1 to e-pL7/GH3

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,714

StanTsui wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

My 9-18 and my 14-54 work great on my E-M10 mk1! Focus with the 14-54 is a bit slower than the native kit lens, but more than makes up for it in image quality. The 14-54 is BETTER on the E-M10 than it was on my E30. These two lenses are a bit larger than the native lenses, but the addition of an external grip makes it easy to hold them and the camera body.

The only lens I HAD to replace for my E-M10 was that larger 1st gen 40-150 that came with a 2 lens kit on the E500. It was VERY slow to autofocus even in good light. I replaced that lens with the m43s 40-150 kit.

I have both 14-54 and 12-60, to pair either one with em10+mmf kinda deflect the purpose? the 12-60 alone likely bigger than em10/14-42

the 12-60 will be huge on the E-M10, the 14-54 is merely "big", but I find it acceptable to carry on longish day hikes. I'm too old for heavy duty hiking! The m43s native kit OLYMPUS M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R is a fairly decent lens in its own right, but the 14-54 is still better. I bought the kit lens for its light weight and speed of operation, but I kept the 14-54 because I love it.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more

You may be better forgetting about your 4/3 lenses entirely and find a used O-MD+kit lens, rather than bothering with a body, $150 adapter and still have poky 4/3 lenses. It would be revenue-neutral and smaller, and the AF performance would be a lot better.

OTOH if you were to get an E-M1 and adapter you can simply sell the E-3 and move forward. You won't be satisfied to return to it.

Good luck,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Silviu11
Silviu11 Regular Member • Posts: 266

Detroit area.

Silviu11's gear list:Silviu11's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 +22 more
Geo S New Member • Posts: 18

For a hiking trip why not just get one of the Tough series? TG-1 thru TG-5.

Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,018

StanTsui wrote:

I imagine it is probably more similar to the E-PL3 than to the E-3.

You can get an adapter. The Olympus adapter MMF-3 adapter is fairly expensive, the Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter seems to be mostly missing in action, and there are clone adapters that are cheaper, but it may not be a good idea to go with a clone adapter for a 9-18mm lens.

Some users complain that the adapters can get slightly out of spec and on wide angle lenses, you tend to get soft results towards the outside of the picture (sometimes just one side or corner). Here is the thread I first read about this at another forum:

Typically the clone adapters show more of the softness than the Olympus MMF-3. However, there was a post I recall (but did not save) where one unfortunate soul got a MMF-3 for his 7-14mm lens, and it went soft over time. He got a second MMF-3, and it too went soft.

I had bought a 4/3rds 9-18mm lens fairly cheaply, but after these threads, I decided I needed to think about getting the micro 4/3rds 9-18mm rather than use my 9-18mm too much on my E-m1. I do wish I had read the threads before getting the 9-18mm, but I have used it from time to time when I take my E-1 out.

In terms of using classic 4/3rds lenses on micro 4/3rds bodies (outside of the E-m1's), there are two classes of lenses.

• Lenses that support contrast detect auto-focus (CD-AF) used in micro 4/3rds cameras and late model 4/3rds cameras in live view mode. Many of the late model standard grade lenses including the 9-18mm support CD-AF. The 14-54mm mark II is the only high grade lens to support CD-AF. Except on the E-m1's, CD-AF lenses are very slow to focus, and you can only use S-AF (single shot) focusing. This means you need to manually focus the lens when shooting video.
  • Lenses that do not support CD-AF are even worse. If you are focusing on a static image, most of the lenses will eventually achieve a focus lock. Some lenses, such as the 150mm, Olympus recommends using AF+MF focusing, and switching to manual focusing when the lens can't get a focus lock.

The E-m1 mark I improved things somewhat. It has phase detect auto focus sensors (PD-AF) that are similar to the sensors used in the DSLRs and can speed up focusing of classic 4/3rds lenses. However, comparing it to my E-3/E-5, the E-m1 mark I did not include cross shaped PD-AF sensors. This means it still struggles in low contrast situations to find a focus lock. I have used my E-m1 mark I on whale watching trips with my 50-200mm mark I, and due to the low contrast of the ocean, the thing just hunted (unlike my E-5 which typically achieved a focus lock quickly). Shooting in more normal scenes, it is much faster with the E-m1 mark I than with my other cameras.

I had originally bought the E-m1 mark I because it was much cheaper than getting the micro 4/3rds 40-150mm lens, and I could use it with the 50-200mm + TC-14 with a MMF-3 adapter. I've used it, and it works, but I find myself bringing the E-5 to use with the 50-200mm instead of using the E-m1 mark I more often.

The E-m1 mark II finally adds cross shaped sensors and is reputed to be much faster than even the E-5.

Finally there is the issue of weight.  The 50-200mm is a fairly heavy lens.  You might find it more comfortable to use the E-m10 grip.  I generally don't like the E-m1 mark I battery grip (HLD-7), but it does help with the balance of the 50-200mm lens.

What speed of SD I need?

If you are not shooting video or continuous sequential shooting, it doesn't matter. If you are shooting video, I believe Olympus recommends a class 10 card to the E-m10 mark II. You probably need a faster card if you are going to shoot 4K video with the E-m10 mark III.

Since the E-m10 is not weather sealed, it doesn't matter. If you have the E-m1 mark I/II or E-m5 mark I/II, then you want the MMF-3 adapter which is weather sealed.

I've never used the E-m10 mark II, except in the store. The one feature it has over the E-m5 mark I/II and E-m1 mark I/II is it uses an OLED viewfinder, which means you can see the viewfinder when wearing polarized sunglasses. The E-m5 and E-m1 models use a TFT viewfinder which has polarization effects when you shoot in the normal landscape orientation with polarized sunglasses on.

The E-m10 mark III is a much more stripped down model. For me, it it not useful at all, since they eliminated the wired shutter release. Evidently they over-simplified and removed other things as well.

No idea.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +20 more
rodriguezPhoto
rodriguezPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,997

StanTsui wrote:

So it sounds like you already have two kit lenses from your Pen and you only need to extend range and speed. As others have said the 9-18 works great on m43 bodies. I have the Panasonic adapter as well as the MMF-1 which is identical. Neither is weather sealed but the camera (Pany G3) isn't anyway. The main issue is non-CDAF adapted lenses will focus slowly or AF will mot work at all on anything but a flavor of E-M1. Panasonic has a great list of every 4/3 lens and its compatability for the G3. I can't find a similar chart from Olympus. This one will at least show the breakdown between CDAF and non-CDAF adapted:

http://hazeghi.org/mft-lenses.html

You mention the 30 f1.4. I assume that is the old Sigma. I have the 50 f1.4. On the Pany it is supposed to be MF only. I haven't actually tried it because of this, but I could if you like. Which 50 is it that you have? The Olympus?

I would avoid using your 50-200 on it if it is the SWD model. I find that the non-PDAF camera jerks it around so much that I think it could burn out the motor. The 14-54 MkI behaves much better but is slow. Expect to miss a lot of shots if you use it to photograph anything that moves at all.

What speed of SD I need?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

~~~ Kim

rodriguezPhoto's gear list:rodriguezPhoto's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1 +41 more

You can get an adapter. The Olympus adapter MMF-3 adapter is fairly expensive, the Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter seems to be mostly missing in action, and there are clone adapters that are cheaper, but it may not be a good idea to go with a clone adapter for a 9-18mm lens.

Some users complain that the adapters can get slightly out of spec and on wide angle lenses, you tend to get soft results towards the outside of the picture (sometimes just one side or corner). Here is the thread I first read about this at another forum:

Typically the clone adapters show more of the softness than the Olympus MMF-3. However, there was a post I recall (but did not save) where one unfortunate soul got a MMF-3 for his 7-14mm lens, and it went soft over time. He got a second MMF-3, and it too went soft.

Personally, unless you go the E-M1 + weather sealed route, and thus could rationalize an MMF-3 weather-sealed adapter, I'd just get a clone adapter, as they can be gotten for $20-25 on the 'bay.   At that price, it's worth the gamble.   I use one of these with my EM-1 and my 14-54 and 11-22 lenses and it seems to work fine.

Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,018

dougjgreen1 wrote:

Personally, unless you go the E-M1 + weather sealed route, and thus could rationalize an MMF-3 weather-sealed adapter, I'd just get a clone adapter, as they can be gotten for $20-25 on the 'bay. At that price, it's worth the gamble. I use one of these with my EM-1 and my 14-54 and 11-22 lenses and it seems to work fine.

I tend to agree with you, but I was trying to set expectations that using the adapter at 9-10mm that there might be issues.  For $20, it is worth a shot.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +20 more

Michael Meissner wrote:

dougjgreen1 wrote:

Personally, unless you go the E-M1 + weather sealed route, and thus could rationalize an MMF-3 weather-sealed adapter, I'd just get a clone adapter, as they can be gotten for $20-25 on the 'bay. At that price, it's worth the gamble. I use one of these with my EM-1 and my 14-54 and 11-22 lenses and it seems to work fine.

I tend to agree with you, but I was trying to set expectations that using the adapter at 9-10mm that there might be issues. For $20, it is worth a shot.

Too many reports of misaligned/off-centered 3rd party adapters for me to trust them, at least for WA and UWA lenses like the 9-18.

As a middle path, a used MMF1 or Panny adapter would cut the cost, and they're made of manly metal!

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads