D5600 vs D7100 for Christmas

Started Dec 4, 2017 | Questions
PeterPinus New Member • Posts: 1
D5600 vs D7100 for Christmas

Hello,

I want to buy one of these cameras purely for photography (no video interest) this christmas with the Nikkor 50mm 1.8G.

I have two questions:

- Which one has better quality? Are D7100 features on the professional side worth it over the newer interface and touch screen of the D5600?

- Can I buy the Nikkor 50mm 1.8D and use the D7100 AF motor, without losing image quality?

Thank you!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5600 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
John Michael Winterbourne
John Michael Winterbourne Veteran Member • Posts: 3,174
Re: D5600 vs D7100 for Christmas

Image quality is pretty much the same for both bodies, but the user experience is very different.  Plenty of people will probably reply that they prefer one or the other, but in the end it's for you to decide.

I don't think you'll find any discernible difference in IQ between the two 50/1.8 lenses, either.  There may be some slight differences in AF speed, but not enough to worry about.

John Michael Winterbourne's gear list:John Michael Winterbourne's gear list
Olympus C-300 Zoom Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70 Nikon D80 +39 more
Horoscope Fish
Horoscope Fish Senior Member • Posts: 1,157

PeterPinus wrote:

- Which one has better quality? Are D7100 features on the professional side worth it over the newer interface and touch screen of the D5600?

- Can I buy the Nikkor 50mm 1.8D and use the D7100 AF motor, without losing image quality?

With the D7100 you'll do a lot less menu-diving. The touch-screen of the 5600 will make your menu-diving more convenient, but I don't find it as convenient as having external controls. It's the feature-set that really distinguishes the 7xxx series from the 5xxx series; things like the internal auto-focus motor, weather sealing, the pentaprism viewfinder, the magnesium alloy body, the additional focus points, dual-card slots, etc. that you're paying for. So... I can tell you those are some of the primary differences, but I can't tell you if they're "worth it"; that's for you to decide.

Image quality (all other things being equal) between the the D7100 and D5600 will not be noticeably different.

As for the 50mm f/1.8D; yes... You would be able to use that lens on the D7100 without sacrificing IQ.

Horoscope Fish's gear list:Horoscope Fish's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2
stevenj2
stevenj2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,154

Can you afford to go for better D7200 at about $760. I've seen at special and used ones recently B&H. Better specs and performance than older D7100. Better focus system, 24mp and 2 card slots.

Also, the 50mm may not be what you actually are looking for. Read up about the primes, maybe you want a 35, really. Or not, but that depends on your uses.

Do you want some ultra close pics of flowers, bugs or watches? You can get one prime lens such as 40 or 60 Nikkor D macro, ( though for really tiny, a more expensive teleohoto is better) used. Maybe wider instead if you want landscapey pics, a older 24 /2.8D used. The 60 or a used longer prime if you want to do lots of head and shoulder portraits. 50 mm is just the safe first answer for starters.

Readup here in DPR and sites like B&H, Adorama, KEH, on the lenses

it's big deal even for beginner to go used, with a better body and lens, deals on the older Nikkor lens, yiu seem to know already not to use on the entry level Nikons need motor in body of mid level and better bidies. So it's worth it for D7100, 7200, 7500 etc. You get more lens choice from the best if the past lenses, used!

Is that too much in my post? Being posted from phone sorry for typos.

Steve

+++++++++++++

PeterPinus

wrote:

Hello,

I want to buy one of these cameras purely for photography (no video interest) this christmas with the Nikkor 50mm 1.8G.

I have two questions:

Thank you!

FingerPainter Veteran Member • Posts: 9,613

PeterPinus wrote:

Hello,

I have two questions:

- Which one has better quality?

The D7100 has marginally better IQ and a bit better AF.

Are D7100 features on the professional side

They aren't really on the professional side. Compare to a D500 to see a professional body.

worth it over the newer interface and touch screen of the D5600?

The much more complete control set and user interface of the D7100 is the main reason why it costs more than a D5600.  I think it is worth it, but that's a personal decision.

You can use it with AF on the D7100, but the 50mm f/1.8 D is not as sharp as the f/1.8G.

Why would you want to use a 50mm lens on an APS-C body like the D5600 or D7100 anyway? The 50mm lens was common for 35mm film cameras, but on APS-C it gives a less useful short-tele field of view.

If you liked a 50mm on a 35mm film camera, get a 35mm or a 30mm for an APSC camera.

SoCalWill
SoCalWill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,299

If you want the D7100 feature set at the D5600 price, look to the Pentax K-70 (and the Pentax SMC DA 50mm f/1.8)

-- hide signature --

Digital Camera and Adobe Photoshop user since 1999.
Adobe Lightroom is my adult coloring book.

SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Apple iPhone XS Max
Nikonparrothead Veteran Member • Posts: 5,805

PeterPinus wrote:

Hello,

I have two questions:

Thank you!

If you want to buy older AF lenses without a focus motor, go with the D7100 body. The D7100 will be marginally more durable than the D5600 but not up to the professional level of durability.

As another poster noted, a 50mm is a bit limiting on a DX body. What is your primary photographic interest?

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic LX100 +14 more
nafik Contributing Member • Posts: 917

PeterPinus wrote:

Hello,

I have two questions:

Thank you!

D7200 with kit lenses.

The money you will save today will not matter tomorrow, but you will always wonder if the camera you saved a few bucks on is the reason for your bad pictures (it is not).

-- hide signature --

M.
Nice camera...now show me the pictures.

nafik's gear list:nafik's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
bobkoure
bobkoure Senior Member • Posts: 1,642

PeterPinus wrote:

The D7nnn series does have an AF motor in the body, and yes, you can use a screw-drive-focus lens like the 50 1.8 AF-D.

I had a number of AF-D lenses when I switched from film so picking the D7000 series was a no-brainer. I do remember there were some complaints about autofocus on the 7100 - which you can probably sidestep by getting a used body with a relatively high shutter-count (over 20K). My reasoning being that nobody would put that much usage on a camera that had AF issues.

My only contact with the d5xxx series was incidental, showing another photog how to do something on one. The functionality is there in both cameras, but the D5xxx makes you work for it.

There are a lot of used good AF-D lenses available at very good prices.  Go to eBay and search for 'nikon af-d' to have a look. I liked my 20mm f/2.8 AF-D on my D7000. I like it on my D600 now

I've bought some newer lenses. The major improvements seem to be in the coatings

Remember that the D7nnn series is crop-sensor, so you'll get a narrower field of view with a particular lens and that camera than with a FF camera and the same lens. This works for you with longer lenses.

Oh, and if you get a D7nnn, you can get a Thom Hogan guide for it. these are so much better than the stock manuals you get from Nikon that they're a reason to get that model.

All that said, put the same (non screw drive) lens on both cameras, leave the camera in 'Automatic' mode and you are going to get very similar picture quality.

bobkoure's gear list:bobkoure's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads