What a joke UPS is!!!

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Mathieu18
Mathieu18 Senior Member • Posts: 4,078
Re: What a joke UPS is!!!

Like others said, if you’re shooting something for hire you need a backup. So either you’re responsible and you have one (but being dramatic about this) or you don’t and no one is to blame but yourself, however unfortunate it may be. In that case, go to BestBuy this morning and buy an A7RII and keep it as a backup.

Next Day needs to be looked at carefully as well, some distances/destinations are actually 2 day and East to West could be. Don’t know if that’s the case but might be. Also, like others mentioned, it’s a busy time for shipping. Not a valid reason if it’s late but you have to be aware of the risk. It’s not just UPS either, I have two USPS packages I’m still waiting on. One was Thursday and one one was Saturday, but neither has arrived.

sat24 wrote:

Focus Camera came thru fabulously and got my A7R3 out of their warehouse as promised via UPS Next Day Air Saturday Delivery at no extra charge.

Now the package is still at Newark, NJ. No way it can make it to Seattle today (which means my sunday engagement is screwed royally). After about 24 hrs of having been picked up. Are you kidding me???

To anyone from UPS reading this: you had ONE job to do. Deliver my package on the date you promised and then took my money to do that. You failed.

-- hide signature --

MattParvin.com
"We're the hot rodders of the camera world!" ~ Tom Caldwell

Mathieu18's gear list:Mathieu18's gear list
Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-E3 Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +17 more
Clayton1985 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,748

ncsakany wrote:

Hey, if they took money for a time-definite delivery, then heck yeah, they should be held to that, regardless of how many packages they handle.

There is a difference between expecting UPS to provide a certain level of service and blaming them for giving yourself zero margin for error for an event when a box (along with thousands of other boxes) has to travel hundreds or thousands of miles. Sure, be disappointed that UPS didn't get it there on time and maybe even ask them to refund shipping costs but to blame them for your event being a failure is absurd. And for those arguing that it doesn't matter how many boxes they have to deliver I would say it does matter in terms of what you pay for the service. If you want your one box to be the center of attention and the only thing on the truck with one mission centered around just you then I'm sure for $10000 or more you can find a company that offers that level of service.

BBQue Senior Member • Posts: 7,735
Thank you!

This was a most amusing Sunday morning reading.

RGBCMYK Senior Member • Posts: 1,884
Re: Thank you!

This thread never would have been needed if your purchased it locally from a local dealer.  In Seattle you have a Glazers and Sony products all sell for MAP if they are a dealer and I know if you put a deposit on the camera when they came out you would have had one in your hands for the shoot.

-- hide signature --

My street photography with over 1000 images https://www.instagram.com/chris_broughton/
www.christopherbroughton.com

RGBCMYK's gear list:RGBCMYK's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 4900 +1 more
ArthurMeursault
ArthurMeursault Regular Member • Posts: 312

sat24 wrote:

Now the package is still at Newark, NJ. No way it can make it to Seattle today (which means my sunday engagement is screwed royally).

Because I am a whiny amateur that doesn't have a back up plan.

To anyone from UPS reading this: you had ONE job to do.

To anyone considering a photographer, you have one job to do - pick a professional that has back up cameras and doesn't get his panties all bunched up when there is weather somewhere.

You're almost as bad as Lloyd Chambers who whines about everything.

ArthurMeursault's gear list:ArthurMeursault's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Craig NC
Craig NC Contributing Member • Posts: 657

ncsakany wrote:

Hey, if they took money for a time-definite delivery, then heck yeah, they should be held to that, regardless of how many packages they handle.

Yes, agree on time delivery is the expectation, and the of course the customer should expect a refund as well.  But this is delivering a package (one of millions), not open heart surgery.  Expecting that they are never going to mess up and then rant on it like they couldn't tie their own shoelaces is uncalled for.  For all we know, the package was scanned at the retailer but not handed off to UPS on time, maybe UPS just screwed up.    I would be disappointed as well, but I would also realize that UPS didn't fumble this up on purpose.  They wouldn't be in business if even 1% of the packages they get per day went astray.    This is about one person blowing a disappointment with a single UPS delivery way out of proportion.

Craig NC's gear list:Craig NC's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +4 more
Mathieu18
Mathieu18 Senior Member • Posts: 4,078

Hahaha. Nailed it.

To anyone from UPS reading this: you had ONE job to do.

To anyone considering a photographer, you have one job to do - pick a professional that has back up cameras

-- hide signature --

MattParvin.com
"We're the hot rodders of the camera world!" ~ Tom Caldwell

Mathieu18's gear list:Mathieu18's gear list
Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-E3 Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +17 more
cantor Forum Member • Posts: 65

sat24 wrote:

Focus Camera came thru fabulously and got my A7R3 out of their warehouse as promised via UPS Next Day Air Saturday Delivery at no extra charge.

Now the package is still at Newark, NJ. No way it can make it to Seattle today (which means my sunday engagement is screwed royally). After about 24 hrs of having been picked up. Are you kidding me???

To anyone from UPS reading this: you had ONE job to do. Deliver my package on the date you promised and then took my money to do that. You failed.

Try to keep in mind that 'stuff' happens.  Also remember that you are one of relatively few that can even afford such a camera.  Relax!

cantor's gear list:cantor's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
ARB1
ARB1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,399

Thank you for contacting the Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

i am very sorry to see of the delay on your order. This has been shipped on the 29th at 7:35pm and should have been delivered to you on the 1st of December, UPS is unfortunately having some delays at this time and they are advising us to allow some more time for tracking to update on most packages. We request that you allow up to 2 more days before a missing claim can be filed and we hope this does get delivered to you quickly.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Thank you, we appreciate your business.

Got this msg from B&H today.

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +3 more
BBQue Senior Member • Posts: 7,735

ARB1 wrote:

Thank you for contacting the Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

i am very sorry to see of the delay on your order. This has been shipped on the 29th at 7:35pm and should have been delivered to you on the 1st of December, UPS is unfortunately having some delays at this time and they are advising us to allow some more time for tracking to update on most packages. We request that you allow up to 2 more days before a missing claim can be filed and we hope this does get delivered to you quickly.

Please let us know if you require any further assistance.

Thank you, we appreciate your business.

Got this msg from B&H today.

Business as usual, this time of the year.... right?!

raminm Regular Member • Posts: 397

raminm's gear list:raminm's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +15 more
Anthony1970
Anthony1970 Senior Member • Posts: 1,213

sat24 wrote:

No real photographer will take such a risk , no real event /party/wedding photographer has only one setup.

You failed to secure your engagement which is a big NONO.

One job.....what happend to thousands of other packages?

Don't you have Photo stores in Seattle in which if available you could buy one ?

Anthony1970's gear list:Anthony1970's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S +25 more
Anthony1970
Anthony1970 Senior Member • Posts: 1,213
Re: What's a joke

DVT80111 wrote:

Plan to shoot an important event with a short supply newly released camera that arrives a day before the event with hardly anytime to get familiar with it. That is more of a joke to me.

I would call it stu.id🤔

Anthony1970's gear list:Anthony1970's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S +25 more
Brian P Smith Regular Member • Posts: 384

Heaven forbid you aren't able to get your $3000 piece of electronic equipment safely shipped across the country in less than 48hrs... It's the same type of people that complain about being 15 minutes late on a flight or "no in flight wifi" without realizing they just flew several hundred mph in an aluminum can at 36,000 ft and didn't die...

Brian P Smith's gear list:Brian P Smith's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a7 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
ArthurMeursault
ArthurMeursault Regular Member • Posts: 312

And the internet on that plane was slow !!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LaT5Iiwo4

-- hide signature --

"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone’s feelings unintentionally."

ArthurMeursault's gear list:ArthurMeursault's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,057

Clayton1985 wrote:

What a joke this post is... not only did you use the kind of judgement that would get many people working for someone else fired from their job .... but you then had the audacity to blame UPS for your poor judgement and even worse publish the details here for all to see! If you really needed (not just wanted) a camera that you didn't have, then counting on a camera that you've never used that could have shipping problems and that could arrive faulty or DOA the day before the event is terrible judgement.

But, but, but... the new one has another half stop of dynamic range!

Jeff2013
Jeff2013 Senior Member • Posts: 2,506

ArthurMeursault wrote:

To anyone considering a photographer, you have one job to do - pick a professional that has back up cameras and doesn't get his panties all bunched up when there is weather somewhere.

You're almost as bad as Lloyd Chambers who whines about everything.

+1 !!!

And about Lloyd Chambers... today Lloyd posted a complaint about Sony's new software complaining that Sony creators must not look at their own work... then just below it, he posted a photo of the back of the A7RII saying it was the A7RIII.  

-- hide signature --
 Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +14 more
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,057

sat24 wrote:

ARB1 wrote:

No wonder he's a Junior Member.

Lol what does that even mean? I didnt realize the badges meant some sort of hierarchy...

They either get straightened out or drummed out after realizing that not everyone holds their breath on the delivery of a new toy as they do.

Josh152 Senior Member • Posts: 2,018

sat24 wrote:

So to sum up you didn't realize or more likely ignored out of gear lust several very basic common sense things most people intuitively know and are now whining about your own lack of judgement.  Those things being:

A.  This time of year is super busy for all shippers and you should expect there could be delays or even more lost or damage packages in the rush.

B. You should never, ever rely on new gear you don't have experience with and haven't tested extensively for something important whether it's photography or  any other pursuit.

C. Since your post is worded like it it, I'm assuming you had no other camera to use so C. is, you should never sell your current, known to work gear before buying the new, untested gear for any professional or otherwise important to you endeavor.  If you have to sell your only current camera to buy a new one, you can't afford it if you can't be without a camera if something screws up with the new one.  Which brings me to

D.  For anything important, especially professional use, you should have a minimum of two of everything you need to do it.  Preferably you would have 3 so if one does go down you still have 1 plus a back up to keep going while the 3rd is out of service.  Yes I realize for pros who use two bodies to shoot stuff like sports, weddings events ect, that could mean at least 4 $3000-$6000 bodies+lenses. Too bad.  That's the cost of doing business. No professional level gear is cheap and every business has extensive start up costs if you expect it to make more than a kids lemon aid stand.

aknyc Regular Member • Posts: 278

sat24 wrote:

I feel your pain, you should cancel your order and send them to hell.. LOL

-- hide signature --

Alex K, New York
http://www.alexk.com/

aknyc's gear list:aknyc's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads