Mirrorless vs DSLR - Why I switched to a Nikon D500

Started Nov 25, 2017 | User reviews
SarahTerra Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: Mirrorless vs DSLR - Why I switched to a Nikon D500

Lobbamobba wrote:

SarahTerra wrote:

I prefer a DSLR period, but shooting video on a Nikon and claiming it is "good" is an extreme reach and kind of outs you as a fanboy/girl or PR shill. There are far, far more "pros" who use a crappy iphone than a nikon body for video work.
The fact remains that going nikon for video simply shoots you in the foot right off the bat due to lens mount distance. and you sacrifice a ton of compatibility with quality manual focus lenses, whereas going sony etc. you can use any nikon lens made with a simple adapter.
Also the D500 is not some end all be all perfect camera, it has serious limitations in connectivity, flash control, battery life and contrary to popular belief.... autofocus.

Nonetheless i still feel despite it's limitations it is the best overall DSLR for sport and wildlife on the market when size, cost, weight and performance are all considered.

This post was too long for me to read. I only read the first lines where you made up lies about me and where very insulting.

I also saw you make up some lies about what professional video and TV producers like me use and don't use.

Its pretty clear to me by just those thre-four lines that you know almost nothing about the subject and that any further debate is useless.

And as you might have guessed, I wont return to read any smart reply you might have copied of the internet to pass on as your own.

So feel free to get the last word.

Sure.

If you would like to promote the D500 I would suggest not using it's video capability or lack thereof as the sales mechanism...

...I too work in video, for the WILD TV channel.

Our network requires all video to be shot in s-log (as do many networks), which the D500 can't even do....never mind the limited lens selection options because of the nikon flange distance.... and 2.25x crop factor in 4K....

who are you trying to fool?

This isn't the camera to choose for video work, nor is any other nikon that I am aware of. The D850 is a step in the right direction, but i honestly just don't know how Nikon will ever overcome the flange distance problem...going with literally any other brand opens up far more options lens wise, at far cheaper prices.

Stills are a different story, and as I originally stated despite its flaws the D500 is the current best choice for wildlife IMO.

tdwesbo
tdwesbo Senior Member • Posts: 2,127

SarahTerra wrote:

Lobbamobba wrote:

SarahTerra wrote:

I prefer a DSLR period, but shooting video on a Nikon and claiming it is "good" is an extreme reach and kind of outs you as a fanboy/girl or PR shill. There are far, far more "pros" who use a crappy iphone than a nikon body for video work.
The fact remains that going nikon for video simply shoots you in the foot right off the bat due to lens mount distance. and you sacrifice a ton of compatibility with quality manual focus lenses, whereas going sony etc. you can use any nikon lens made with a simple adapter.
Also the D500 is not some end all be all perfect camera, it has serious limitations in connectivity, flash control, battery life and contrary to popular belief.... autofocus.

Nonetheless i still feel despite it's limitations it is the best overall DSLR for sport and wildlife on the market when size, cost, weight and performance are all considered.

This post was too long for me to read. I only read the first lines where you made up lies about me and where very insulting.

I also saw you make up some lies about what professional video and TV producers like me use and don't use.

Its pretty clear to me by just those thre-four lines that you know almost nothing about the subject and that any further debate is useless.

And as you might have guessed, I wont return to read any smart reply you might have copied of the internet to pass on as your own.

So feel free to get the last word.

Sure.

If you would like to promote the D500 I would suggest not using it's video capability or lack thereof as the sales mechanism...

...I too work in video, for the WILD TV channel.

Our network requires all video to be shot in s-log (as do many networks), which the D500 can't even do....never mind the limited lens selection options because of the nikon flange distance.... and 2.25x crop factor in 4K....

who are you trying to fool?

This isn't the camera to choose for video work, nor is any other nikon that I am aware of. The D850 is a step in the right direction, but i honestly just don't know how Nikon will ever overcome the flange distance problem...going with literally any other brand opens up far more options lens wise, at far cheaper prices.

Stills are a different story, and as I originally stated despite its flaws the D500 is the current best choice for wildlife IMO.

I have no idea what Nikon was really thinking when they designed the video capabilities of the D500, but what they released was a very good sports/action/wildlife DSLR that also happens to record pretty decent video. Very handy if you need to grab some clips while out shooting, and it will do as a vlog camera quite nicely.

The notion that you would send someone out into the field to shoot production video with a D500 is baffling, as you’ve pointed out. I think many reviewers see 4K and some frame rate numbers and call it “good” because everybody else keeps saying the same thing about cameras with those numbers and because they shot some video and it “looked good”

tdwesbo's gear list:tdwesbo's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
Sucama
Sucama Regular Member • Posts: 390

Lobbamobba wrote:

I made a video version of this review as well with 30ish samples, video samples and a couple of more thoughts on the Nikon D500.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8bbXIJo4YE

A beauty and a beast.

Mirrorless vs DSLR

There are a lot of ups and downs to both type of systems. One can't yet completely replace the other.
If you are a full time sports shooter choosing a DSLR is a no brainer.
If you are just a casual shooter a mirrorless might make more sense.
What camera to get is always very individual.

I switched to mirrorless in 2013 with the Panasonic GH3.
Since then I have bought a number of mirrorless cameras. And if not counting interchangeable lens video cameras, range finders and premium compacts they are,

• Panasonic
    GF3, GF5, G7, G85, GX7
  • Olympus
    OMD-EM5, Pen-f, E-P5
  • Sony
    Nex-5, a6000, a6300, A7, A7ii, A7sii
  • Samsung
    NX1, NX500
  • Fuji
    X-T10, X-T20, X-T2, X-Pro2
  • Leica T

This list is not to try and show of. Its to pre answer a comment I have gotten a lot on youtube which is, "you tried the wrong mirrorless".

At the end of the day, how good I think those cameras where and how much I liked them. There are things they can't give that a DSLR sure can.

5 Reasons I bought a DSLR

1. Size and grip
Shooting on the street is one thing. But covering a full day at a sports arena or event. Then I want something to hold on to.
Mirrorless needs to compromise the sensor size to be smaller. Otherwise the lenses (which will actually be bigger than DSLR lenses) will make the balance unbearable (imo) for a full day.
For street and casual shooting I have already made my choice.
So my backup system with interchangeable lenses can be as big as it want. Still would have needed a bag if I had gone mirrorless.

2. Viewfinder
I love EVFs. I always have.
But I can't deny how nice it is to look through the lens again. Seeing everything crystal clear. Even in dim lighting.
And the OVF on the D500 is very nice. Like crazy nice.

The live view isn't bad. Its not as fast as mirrorless but its touch screen so you can point to focus and/or shoot.

For video its fine, still no peaking but the screen is clear enough to focus manually.
The video by the way is excellent. Same great quality as the D750. I made a full review of its video features.
And on top of the D750 quality, in s35, it has 4K.
I know, people go bananas over the x2.25 in 4K. But here me out.

The crop is less than a GH4 in 4K. Its less than a Blackmagic Cinema Camera. And its way less than a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera.
It really isn't that bad.
I use it to my advantage. Since I deliver in HD anyway I can get 27-460mm with a constant f1.8 from only two lenses (18-35 and 50-100).
Thats pretty sweet.

3. Auto Focus
The AF of DSLR like the D500 still walks all over the mirrorless options. Even in the dark it locks on every time.
My Sigma 50-100/1.8 that some say doesn't always lock is at 100% hit rate. I kid you not. I have 100% successful and accurate hits so far.
Never experienced focus like this.

Couple that with the 10fps Raw in up to 200 bursts..
And the highlight weighted metering which basically is instant ETTR.

Im golden

4. Battery
I seriously haven't charged my camera for a week.

5. Coming home
This is all subjective and might just be me. But I feel joy when shooting with a simple, straight forward and intuitive DSLR again.
There really isn't any compromises made from not having a mirror, a certain style or size.
Its a machine thats made to let you take pictures fast and efficiently. Nothing else. Its all it does and it does a great job.
That translates in to relaxation, confidence, joy, etc in me as a shooter.

Samples

Like I said, lots of samples in the video . But here are a few to peep at.

Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 G2, great lens.

The affordable 50mm f1.8 G.

second shot is very noisy (iso 100) and horrible halos !

Sucama's gear list:Sucama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +5 more
OP Lobbamobba Contributing Member • Posts: 514

We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

/All the best, M

TRIODEROB
TRIODEROB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,548

you can do all that with a mirrorless - I have no problem at all - the D500 does not have the market cornered on that

plus the lens are smaller and higher quality - and the 4K video is in another world

(NOT TO MENTION AMAZING EYE FOCUS )

SteveCooper
SteveCooper Senior Member • Posts: 1,544

I can't argue with a single thing you have stated. The D500 is a beast of a DSLR, especially the AF and FPS.

If I had to use my Z7 to do BIF, I'd be very frustrated. Fortunately I have a D300s and a D7200- not anywhere close to your D500, but STILL better than my Z7 at action

SteveCooper's gear list:SteveCooper's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Nikon D300S Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 +17 more
Yxa
Yxa Senior Member • Posts: 2,530

Nice review!

rumple
rumple Senior Member • Posts: 1,450

SarahTerra wrote:

Also the D500 is not some end all be all perfect camera,

Of course not.

it has serious limitations in connectivity,

"serious" depends on the use-case, although I as many others want WiFi without snapbridge.

flash control

?  It's CLS IR plus the wireless thing with the SB-5000, which, while expense, apparently works well.  I actually like managing the flash with the back of the screen, although not all do.  And the Godox system works fine with it.

battery life

Is good to great.

and contrary to popular belief.... autofocus.

Autofocus is near-telepathic.  Anyone struggling with it needs more practice and/or understanding of the system.

Yep.

-- hide signature --

"THINK" - Watson

twan Senior Member • Posts: 2,562

Its an old post but this triggered me:

how does this work?

twan's gear list:twan's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
EricK214 Regular Member • Posts: 497

twan wrote:

how does this work?

Highlight-weighed metering is a meter that takes the entire frame (similar to matrix) and exposes for the highlights, therefore you should never clip highlights. I use this almost exclusively for birds and BIF in manual mode with auto ISO and between -.7 to + .7 ec. I do not use it with backlit subjects though as they will be very dark. It's also pretty rough to use for birds in heavy shade like a dense tree so go spot it matrix for sure in those situations.

Its amazing but you need to play with some to get a feel for how it reacts but it's amazing for birds with white feathers

EricK214's gear list:EricK214's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +3 more
twan Senior Member • Posts: 2,562

Sounds ok.

Suppose you have a darker scene, does the camera then also over expose which you can correct in post which also minimize noise?

twan's gear list:twan's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
EricK214 Regular Member • Posts: 497

twan wrote:

Sounds ok.

Suppose you have a darker scene, does the camera then also over expose which you can correct in post which also minimize noise?

That's what I meant by backlit... If the scene is dark the pic will be very dark. It for exposing for the highlights. You have to play with it some and you will learn quickly when to use highlight-weighed is something like matrix or spot

EricK214's gear list:EricK214's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +3 more
tsinvest Senior Member • Posts: 1,295

Sucama wrote:

Lobbamobba wrote:

I made a video version of this review as well with 30ish samples, video samples and a couple of more thoughts on the Nikon D500.

A beauty and a beast.

Mirrorless vs DSLR

There are a lot of ups and downs to both type of systems. One can't yet completely replace the other.

Since then I have bought a number of mirrorless cameras. And if not counting interchangeable lens video cameras, range finders and premium compacts they are,

• Panasonic
    GF3, GF5, G7, G85, GX7
  • Olympus
    OMD-EM5, Pen-f, E-P5
  • Sony
  • Samsung
    NX1, NX500
  • Fuji
  • Leica T

This list is not to try and show of. Its to pre answer a comment I have gotten a lot on youtube which is, "you tried the wrong mirrorless".

At the end of the day, how good I think those cameras where and how much I liked them. There are things they can't give that a DSLR sure can.

1. Size and grip
Shooting on the street is one thing. But covering a full day at a sports arena or event. Then I want something to hold on to.
Mirrorless needs to compromise the sensor size to be smaller. Otherwise the lenses (which will actually be bigger than DSLR lenses) will make the balance unbearable (imo) for a full day.
So my backup system with interchangeable lenses can be as big as it want. Still would have needed a bag if I had gone mirrorless.

2. Viewfinder
But I can't deny how nice it is to look through the lens again. Seeing everything crystal clear. Even in dim lighting.

The live view isn't bad. Its not as fast as mirrorless but its touch screen so you can point to focus and/or shoot.

For video its fine, still no peaking but the screen is clear enough to focus manually.
The video by the way is excellent. Same great quality as the D750. I made a full review of its video features.

The crop is less than a GH4 in 4K. Its less than a Blackmagic Cinema Camera. And its way less than a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera.
I use it to my advantage. Since I deliver in HD anyway I can get 27-460mm with a constant f1.8 from only two lenses (18-35 and 50-100).
Thats pretty sweet.

3. Auto Focus
The AF of DSLR like the D500 still walks all over the mirrorless options. Even in the dark it locks on every time.
My Sigma 50-100/1.8 that some say doesn't always lock is at 100% hit rate. I kid you not. I have 100% successful and accurate hits so far.

Im golden

4. Battery

5. Coming home
This is all subjective and might just be me. But I feel joy when shooting with a simple, straight forward and intuitive DSLR again.
There really isn't any compromises made from not having a mirror, a certain style or size.
Its a machine thats made to let you take pictures fast and efficiently. Nothing else. Its all it does and it does a great job.

Samples

second shot is very noisy (iso 100) and horrible halos !

I thought the same thing.  I get much better IQ with my Z6 and the 24-70mm f/4 lens.  I do have a D7500 by the way that I use for wildlife/birds so I am not biased.  The D7500 has the same sensor as the D500

-- hide signature --

Thanks, Tom
my Instagram gallery...
https://www.instagram.com/photos_all_kinds

tsinvest's gear list:tsinvest's gear list
Canon G7 X II Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +15 more
arniebook Senior Member • Posts: 1,223

twan wrote:

how does this work?

Well, actually it is exactly the opposite of ETTR.  Generally speaking exposing for the highlights essentially means underexposing the photo.  ETTR essentially means exposing for detail in the shadows with the idea of having less noise in shadow areas rather than having to "pull" the shadow areas in pp which introduces noise.  ETTR, of course may cause loss of highlight detail or overexposure of highlights ... depends on what you are shooting.  For a Great White Egret, you definitely want to underexpose, and highlight metering is tailor made for that and similar subjects.  Benefits of Highlight metering can be seen when shooting birds with only a small amount of white as well.  Generally speaking, slight underexposure tends to saturate colors, like the blue feathers on Great Blue Herons, which also have some white on their heads. So you get the detail in those white areas, and get nicely saturated colors in the dark blue feathers on the wings.

Arnie

-- hide signature --

What we spend on this stuff is equal to the depth of our pockets squared ($²) times what we (j)ustify in our minds as to what we expect to do with our pictures plus (+) the (e)njoyment we experience from using our stuff and sharing the result ... $xxxx=$²(j+e )

arniebook's gear list:arniebook's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +2 more
Yxa
Yxa Senior Member • Posts: 2,530

Lobbamobba wrote:

A beauty and a beast.

Mirrorless vs DSLR

• Panasonic
    GF3, GF5, G7, G85, GX7
  • Olympus
    OMD-EM5, Pen-f, E-P5
  • Sony
  • Samsung
    NX1, NX500
  • Fuji
  • Leica T

1. Size and grip

2. Viewfinder

But it’s worse crop than a GH5 (2x) and the other thing is that the m43 system takes this into account and there are great lenses for video like the 8-18 and 10-25.

Nikon doesnt give you that many DX lenses at all, if you’re not counting the ten versions of 18-55 lenses that there are.

Thats pretty sweet.

3. Auto Focus

Im golden

4. Battery

5. Coming home

Samples

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads