From previous thread: how is that??

Started Nov 24, 2017 | Discussions
irv00 Senior Member • Posts: 1,277
From previous thread: how is that??

irv00 said:

“Affinity Photo, for example, at $40, is FAR more expensive than Photoshop/Lightroom at $120 per year."

MacUser2 replied:

“Will you please explain the arithmetics behind this statement.”

It’s simple: by the time you do what you need to do (in terms of time, leaning effort, money, etc) to bring Affinity Photo to a performance level similar to the L/P combo (if that’s even possible), you have spent much more than $120.

My reasoning assumes that your time and work are valuable ($), of course.

Same reasoning applies to a bunch of sub-par raw-developer applications that only have a low entry price (it’s never the final price) going for them.

GasmanSteve Regular Member • Posts: 235
Re: From previous thread: how is that??

It’s simple: by the time you do what you need to do (in terms of time, leaning effort, money, etc) to bring Affinity Photo to a performance level similar to the L/P combo (if that’s even possible), you have spent much more than $120.

Same reasoning applies to a bunch of sub-par raw-developer applications that only have a low entry price (it’s never the final price) going for them.

So you don`t have to spend time and effort learning LR/PS.......??????

OP irv00 Senior Member • Posts: 1,277

GasmanSteve wrote:

So you don`t have to spend time and effort learning LR/PS.......??????

Of course you do - but the number of tutorials, manuals, books, videos, brushes, actions, plugins, websites, online courses, etc., etc., is so big for LR/PS that the learning process is much faster, efficient and economical.

There is also time and effort spent compensating for the bugs and limitations of cheap software on version 1. And it often requires the purchase of additional software to provide some of the missing features...which in turn takes time and effort to integrate...etc, etc.

There is a whole ecosystem in place for established software. A lot of the newcomer software offers are only attractive in price and promises.

That said, the above may not matter to a person who only needs Picasa. For those who would like to get immediate and long-term value for their investment (not just money, but time and effort, too) and also want to go beyond the absolute basics, a more established product ends up being cheaper and more enjoyable.

There are options for all levels, tastes, goals and perspectives. I’m not saying everyone should buy the most expensive solutions - just making less experienced users aware of the fact that cheap often comes with a high price tag. Just like lenses...or women!

GasmanSteve Regular Member • Posts: 235

There are options for all levels, tastes, goals and perspectives.

I think you are right on the button there -  ie. you don`t have to go down the LR/PS route, just whatever software,equipment etc etc you are happy with. I really can`t understand why some constantly insist that their way is the only/best way and try to convince everyone else they are wrong!. You may like LR/PS which is fine others may like app x, y or z, equally fine and life rolls on!

OP irv00 Senior Member • Posts: 1,277

GasmanSteve wrote:

you don`t have to go down the LR/PS route, just whatever software,equipment etc etc you are happy with.

Well said.

I really can`t understand why some constantly insist that their way is the only/best way and try to convince everyone else they are wrong!.

Zealots. I'm 100% in favor of using whatever works. Have my preferences, but they may not be a good match for the next guy.

You may like LR/PS which is fine others may like app x, y or z, equally fine and life rolls on!

You're 100% right.

Perfect example: I can do the same with Lightroom, but prefer Capture One. Does not mean Lightroom is 'bad'.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads