5D IV ISO switching back to auto mode after changed

Started Nov 22, 2017 | Discussions
rek101 New Member • Posts: 14
5D IV ISO switching back to auto mode after changed

I am having an issue and can't seem to find an answer in the user manual. I use a custom button to adjust ISO (hold set button and move dial next to shutter release). If I'm in auto mode and use the dedicated ISO button or menu to change ISO, the changes are maintained. When I switch away from auto with the custom button I assigned, the changes only last until the green lights in the viewfinder turn off and then it resets to auto.

I used this exact customization with the 5D mark III and the ISO did not revert back to auto when I changed it with the custom button. I'd like the IV to behave like the III.

Any suggestions?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dshae Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: 5D IV ISO switching back to auto mode after changed

as far as I know this is how it works on the 4,  if you want to get off auto you have to hit the iso button on top of camera,  At first I did not like it like you was used to the 5d3 but after some use I like it now,  I set the new back button to iso and the set button to exposure comp so If you want iso to go up or down for more then one shot ill adjust the exposure comp if only for one shot then use the back button.

Dshae's gear list:Dshae's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a7R III Sony a7 III
OP rek101 New Member • Posts: 14

Dshae wrote:

as far as I know this is how it works on the 4, if you want to get off auto you have to hit the iso button on top of camera, At first I did not like it like you was used to the 5d3 but after some use I like it now, I set the new back button to iso and the set button to exposure comp so If you want iso to go up or down for more then one shot ill adjust the exposure comp if only for one shot then use the back button.

Thanks, so just so I understand, how do you use exposure compensation to adjust ISO? Won't you get a different exposure than what you wanted? Maybe I don't really understand how exposure comp works.

Let's say you're taking photos of a lot of still things and you use auto ISO because it's fine for that. Then all of a sudden, you want a much faster shutter speed because the event or whatever you're shooting has started and now you want out of auto ISO, how exactly are you using exposure comp to keep the shutter speed higher but get the same look you wanted?

Dshae Junior Member • Posts: 29

rek101 wrote:

Dshae wrote:

as far as I know this is how it works on the 4, if you want to get off auto you have to hit the iso button on top of camera, At first I did not like it like you was used to the 5d3 but after some use I like it now, I set the new back button to iso and the set button to exposure comp so If you want iso to go up or down for more then one shot ill adjust the exposure comp if only for one shot then use the back button.

Thanks, so just so I understand, how do you use exposure compensation to adjust ISO? Won't you get a different exposure than what you wanted? Maybe I don't really understand how exposure comp works.

Let's say you're taking photos of a lot of still things and you use auto ISO because it's fine for that. Then all of a sudden, you want a much faster shutter speed because the event or whatever you're shooting has started and now you want out of auto ISO, how exactly are you using exposure comp to keep the shutter speed higher but get the same look you wanted?

Im not sure I understand what your trying to do, are you in manual with auto ISO?  If so if you adjust the shutter speed the ISO should adjust to whatever you had the exposure comp set at.  So if your shutter speed and Aperture is set in manual the only thing that will change is ISO when you adjust the exposure comp.

Dshae's gear list:Dshae's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a7R III Sony a7 III
OP rek101 New Member • Posts: 14

Dshae wrote:

rek101 wrote:

Dshae wrote:

Im not sure I understand what your trying to do, are you in manual with auto ISO? If so if you adjust the shutter speed the ISO should adjust to whatever you had the exposure comp set at. So if your shutter speed and Aperture is set in manual the only thing that will change is ISO when you adjust the exposure comp.

I use aperture priority mode. I usually set my own ISO with a custom button. I always found it frustrating with the three that there was no easy way to set auto ISO mode without using the menus or the button on top. I pretty much never used it for this reason.

I'd like to find a quick way to go back and forth between auto ISO and setting my own without multiple steps.

It sounded like from your post, you have a work around that would accomplish this in a different way?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads