If you had to pick three (native) FE lenses to carry...

Started Nov 22, 2017 | Discussions
Elite83 Senior Member • Posts: 1,007
If you had to pick three (native) FE lenses to carry...

I've read a lot of technical and preference recommendations about the "best" A7RII lenses. But I'm curious to hear from the diverse A7RII crowd: if you had to pick three (native) FE lenses to carry for a day shoot (whatever your preferred subject choice/style) what three would you bring?

I know there are many users who opt to use older adapted, or Metabones/adapted lenses. But given the current Sony/Sigma/(other) native FE mount lens choices, what selections are your three favorites?

-- hide signature --
 Elite83's gear list:Elite83's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
PPierre Regular Member • Posts: 411
Re: If you had to pick three (native) FE lenses to carry...

My current set : 25, 55 and 85 I used to have the 28, 55 and 90 macro kit : it was pretty awesome too I miss the macro sometimes.

-- hide signature --
 PPierre's gear list:PPierre's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,940

35mm 1.4 - it's a lens that just 'works' with me. I seem to naturally prefer shooting around 35mm, and this lens does a good job of it.

55mm 1.8 - renders better than my beloved previous 50L 1.2. Could make anything into a pretty picture.

24-70 2.8 - because everyone needs a bit of versatility as a backup.

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +4 more
ttan98 Senior Member • Posts: 2,299

Elite83 wrote:

I've read a lot of technical and preference recommendations about the "best" A7RII lenses. But I'm curious to hear from the diverse A7RII crowd: if you had to pick three (native) FE lenses to carry for a day shoot (whatever your preferred subject choice/style) what three would you bring?

I know there are many users who opt to use older adapted, or Metabones/adapted lenses. But given the current Sony/Sigma/(other) native FE mount lens choices, what selections are your three favorites?

a worthwhile read by Blue_skies:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60410998

Listed below are excellent FE lenses at reasonable/fair prices are:

28mm f2 Plus 0.75 convertor to give 21mm

35mm f2.8

55mm f1.8

85mm f1.8

16-35mm f4

all are sold under Sony brand buy what you need.

also cheap Samyang/Rokinon 35mm f2.8 autofocus.

TheSonOfMuluh
TheSonOfMuluh Forum Member • Posts: 76

35, 55, 85

TheSonOfMuluh's gear list:TheSonOfMuluh's gear list
Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +3 more
Viramati Senior Member • Posts: 1,342

A7rII + A7rIII Fe 16-35GM, FE 70-300 G and FE 55/1.8

Viramati's gear list:Viramati's gear list
Sony RX100 III Leica Q Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +5 more
dannytang Regular Member • Posts: 356

Elite83 wrote:

My current kit is 28, 35, 55, 85.

If I absolutely needed to leave one behind it would probably be the 55.

dannytang's gear list:dannytang's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +3 more
Abel89er Regular Member • Posts: 156

Viramati wrote:

A7rII + A7rIII Fe 16-35GM, FE 70-300 G and FE 55/1.8

My kit would be pretty much like yours but depending what I had to shot maybe I would trade the 70-300 for the 85mm

But pretty much that would be my choice as well

Abel89er's gear list:Abel89er's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +2 more
Mick Porter Regular Member • Posts: 307

Batis 25mm

Sony 55mm

Batis 85mm

Mick Porter's gear list:Mick Porter's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +3 more
caterpillar Veteran Member • Posts: 7,534
My list

Elite83 wrote:

There is no "best" lens really. There are different kinds of photography and each one has his needs and quirks. And many of us are constrained by budget so we make compromises.

However, my 3 native lenses are:

- 24-105

- 12-24

- FE 85 f1.8

The 24-105 is an all arounder. Can be used for a walkabout, in events, travel, even in portraits.

- The 12-24 will let me shoot wide when needed. Architecture, Interiors of churches, cathedrals,  museums, etc. Will be useful for landscapes and even in events where you have to capture a large no or group of people.  it can also be used in street photography.

- FE 85 1.8 is good for strict portraits, where shallow DOF is needed and absolute sharpness is required. Also for low light. Maybe even for some sports/action photography.

These 3 can do most types of photography and are not overly expensive vs the GM or the Zeiss or Batis models. The trick is be able to do a lot with little or less and to cover most bases so you won't regret not having one.

As for the others, I have a canon 50 f1.8 stm and a canon 70-200 f2.8L IS mark 1 with a MB4 adapter.  Maybe another 35mm f2.0 or close like a Sigma or Canon to cover that FL. These will save me money on those FL and/or zoom.

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar
'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 +22 more
Luis Gabriel Photography
Luis Gabriel Photography Senior Member • Posts: 1,800
Re: My list

Well..in Reality if I were to pick only 3 lenses for a portrait session outdoors I would bring:
Canon EF 35mm 1.4 L ii

Sony 85mm 1.4 GM

Sigma 135mm 1.8 Art (or 300mm 2.8 non is)

But since you are asking Native lenses only:
I would do:

Zeiss 35mm 1.4

Sony 85mm 1.4 GM

Sony 70-200 F2.8 GM

Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list:Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list
Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Rokinon AF 35mm F1.4 FE Sony RX100 V +9 more
samtheman2014
samtheman2014 Senior Member • Posts: 4,571

caterpillar wrote:

Elite83 wrote:

There is no "best" lens really. There are different kinds of photography and each one has his needs and quirks. And many of us are constrained by budget so we make compromises.

- 24-105

- 12-24

- FE 85 f1.8

The 24-105 is an all arounder. Can be used for a walkabout, in events, travel, even in portraits.

Looking at early samples and reports I have high hopes for that lens and have pre-ordered it { something I am usually reluctant to do }

- The 12-24 will let me shoot wide when needed. Architecture, Interiors of churches, cathedrals, museums, etc. Will be useful for landscapes and even in events where you have to capture a large no or group of people. it can also be used in street photography.

- FE 85 1.8 is good for strict portraits, where shallow DOF is needed and absolute sharpness is required. Also for low light. Maybe even for some sports/action photography.

These 3 can do most types of photography and are not overly expensive vs the GM or the Zeiss or Batis models. The trick is be able to do a lot with little or less and to cover most bases so you won't regret not having one.

As for the others, I have a canon 50 f1.8 stm and a canon 70-200 f2.8L IS mark 1 with a MB4 adapter. Maybe another 35mm f2.0 or close like a Sigma or Canon to cover that FL. These will save me money on those FL and/or zoom.

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling

samtheman2014's gear list:samtheman2014's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
DVT80111 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,208
..to where and what are you shooting?

Africa or Anartica? it is all depended.

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Sony a7R II
BBQue Senior Member • Posts: 7,735
FE28 plus FE55 - add Batis 85 if desired n/t

No text.

blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,533
Re: FE28 plus FE55 - add Batis 85 if desired n/t

BBQue wrote:

+1

Add the 0.75x converter for the FE28 for a 'decent' 21mm f/2.8 option too...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a7 II Sony a7R II +36 more
OP Elite83 Senior Member • Posts: 1,007

dannytang wrote:

Elite83 wrote:

My current kit is 28, 35, 55, 85.

If I absolutely needed to leave one behind it would probably be the 55.

Seems like a lot of people prefer the Zeiss 55 over the Sony 50. Understandably, I would agree the Zeiss has many more desirable characteristics, but also a much higher price tag in comparison to the Sony 50--(also acknowledging there's a reason more pricey lenses exist at all...)

But at over 4.5x the cost of the FE 50 1.8, I feel compelled to ask: any specific reason you chose the Zeiss 55 over the Sony 50 other than preference?

-- hide signature --
 Elite83's gear list:Elite83's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Stflbn Veteran Member • Posts: 3,491

I've owned a great 55 1.8.   Sold it when I moved to Fuji for 2 years.   Really liked it while I had it and buy another.

I received a 50 1.8 FE today and immediately knew it would be going back.   The back and forth focusing every single time will drive me absolutely nuts.

I knew it was not an immediate focus lock with it, but it just won't work for my style of quick moving candid work.

-- hide signature --

A7rii | RX10 iv | RX100 v | 28 f2 | 85 1.8 | Godox tt685s (x3) & X1T-S | Zhiyun Crane
------------------------
http://501concepts.com

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +2 more
ttan98 Senior Member • Posts: 2,299

Stflbn wrote:

I've owned a great 55 1.8. Sold it when I moved to Fuji for 2 years. Really liked it while I had it and buy another.

I received a 50 1.8 FE today and immediately knew it would be going back. The back and forth focusing every single time will drive me absolutely nuts.

I knew it was not an immediate focus lock with it, but it just won't work for my style of quick moving candid work.

I am also reluctant to buy the Sony 50mm f1.8,  I notice there is a latest firmware update(about a month or so ago) to version 3, it may have fixed the back and forth focusing when the camera is in continuous mode.

caterpillar Veteran Member • Posts: 7,534

samtheman2014 wrote:

caterpillar wrote:

Elite83 wrote:

- 24-105

- 12-24

- FE 85 f1.8

Looking at early samples and reports I have high hopes for that lens and have pre-ordered it { something I am usually reluctant to do }

Me, too, Jim. I am hoping this lens will wow! The 24-70 f4 is not so stellar. It's not bad, but it's does not have the wow that you expect for such price or class. My guess is this one will be heads-up this time.

- The 12-24 will let me shoot wide when needed. Architecture, Interiors of churches, cathedrals, museums, etc. Will be useful for landscapes and even in events where you have to capture a large no or group of people. it can also be used in street photography.

As for the others, I have a canon 50 f1.8 stm and a canon 70-200 f2.8L IS mark 1 with a MB4 adapter. Maybe another 35mm f2.0 or close like a Sigma or Canon to cover that FL. These will save me money on those FL and/or zoom.

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 +22 more
freakmax Regular Member • Posts: 166

12-24/ 55/70200GM Dream set.

I don't have enough money so 25 /85GM for now

freakmax's gear list:freakmax's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads