A7R III silent shutter vs mechanical

Started Nov 22, 2017 | Discussions
sparkie Contributing Member • Posts: 783
A7R III silent shutter vs mechanical

It looks like the silent shutter (via electronic shutter) is an option you have to turn on vs the mechanical which presumably is the default? Which is a noticeable 'clunk'

My question if anyone knows is can you have the silent shutter on as the default and any cons having or using it most of the time? (apart from global shutter issue with photos of fast moving subjects).

What are pros and cons of using the electronic vs mechanical?

From what I have read:

Electronic PROS - faster, silent, no vibration. CONS - global shutter effects

Mechanical PROS - no, or minimised shutter effects. CONS - loud, shutter slap/vibration

Does using the electronic shutter all the time wear out the components or have a detrimental effect?

I have a dinosuaric A7R Mark 1, and as fas as I know it does not have a silent shutter option right?

TIA

Sony a7R Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bronto99 Regular Member • Posts: 125
Re: A7R III silent shutter vs mechanical

sparkie wrote:

It looks like the silent shutter (via electronic shutter) is an option you have to turn on vs the mechanical which presumably is the default? Which is a noticeable 'clunk'

My question if anyone knows is can you have the silent shutter on as the default and any cons having or using it most of the time? (apart from global shutter issue with photos of fast moving subjects).

From what I have read:

Mechanical PROS - no, or minimised shutter effects. CONS - loud, shutter slap/vibration

Does using the electronic shutter all the time wear out the components or have a detrimental effect?

I have a dinosuaric A7R Mark 1, and as fas as I know it does not have a silent shutter option right?

TIA

Yes, the electronic shutter wears nothing out except electrons and it also uses less battery, so you can take thousands of shots on a single charge this way. One con to e-shutter may be a slightly altered defocused area in your images. I know that sounds weird and illogical, but I'm finding out it is a real effect. On my A9, you basically get no rolling shutter effect, but the readout time on the A73 is going to be slower - so another con for using an e-shutter is possibly more rolling shutter effects with fast movements. I am not sure why you list a "global shutter effect" under cons. Only CCD sensors have a global shutter and the A73 is a CMOS sensor.

Bronto99's gear list:Bronto99's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +3 more
OP sparkie Contributing Member • Posts: 783

Bronto99 wrote:

sparkie wrote:

From what I have read:

TIA

Yes, the electronic shutter wears nothing out except electrons and it also uses less battery, so you can take thousands of shots on a single charge this way. One con to e-shutter may be a slightly altered defocused area in your images. I know that sounds weird and illogical, but I'm finding out it is a real effect. On my A9, you basically get no rolling shutter effect, but the readout time on the A73 is going to be slower - so another con for using an e-shutter is possibly more rolling shutter effects with fast movements. I am not sure why you list a "global shutter effect" under cons. Only CCD sensors have a global shutter and the A73 is a CMOS sensor.

So why would anyone want to use the mechanical shutter given the choice?

Sorry I meant rolling shutter effect (!) -- the A7R III shows this when tested on the camerastore review. The mountain bike wheel was oblong instead of round..

And can you setup the camera to turn on to shoot with the e-shutter instead of the mechanical one?

SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 10,116

Besides the silent shutter's rolling shutter issues (which include banding, under most LED and pretty much all fluorescent lights), another reason to use mechanical is that you can't use a flash with the electronic shutter.

-- hide signature --

A7-II with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); NEX-7 converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +24 more
Bronto99 Regular Member • Posts: 125

sparkie wrote:

So why would anyone want to use the mechanical shutter given the choice?

Sorry I meant rolling shutter effect (!) -- the A7R III shows this when tested on the camerastore review. The mountain bike wheel was oblong instead of round..

And can you setup the camera to turn on to shoot with the e-shutter instead of the mechanical one?

You would use the mechanical shutter to prevent a rolling shutter effect, to possibly have smoother defocused areas and to sync with a flash. I am sure the A73 will be like the A9 in that you can select mechanical only, electronic only or "automatic".

Bronto99's gear list:Bronto99's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +3 more
randomguy Contributing Member • Posts: 514

Bronto99 wrote:

Yes, the electronic shutter wears nothing out except electrons and it also uses less battery, so you can take thousands of shots on a single charge this way. One con to e-shutter may be a slightly altered defocused area in your images.

It is mechanical shutter with electronic first curtain that gives bokeh issues. If anything electronic shutter should give the most correct performance since every pixel receives light from all angles for exactly the same duration.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Morten Smedsrud
https://500px.com/msmedsru

aarif
aarif Veteran Member • Posts: 9,252
 aarif's gear list:aarif's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D3S Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D600 +2 more
Viramati Senior Member • Posts: 1,373

I have Silent shooting on off assigned to an fn button and it is really a non issue but more interestingly I have tried shooting with EFCS off and compared to a A7rII it is much quicker with no audible break between the shutter having to fire twice. It might slow down continuous shooting a bit but as a sound it is hardly disturbing as it used to be and is a lot snappier so those who worry about bokeh issues with EFCS might want to shoot with it off

Viramati's gear list:Viramati's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X100V Sony a9 Sony a7R III +10 more
Laddu Forum Member • Posts: 91

SQLGuy wrote:

Besides the silent shutter's rolling shutter issues (which include banding, under most LED and pretty much all fluorescent lights), another reason to use mechanical is that you can't use a flash with the electronic shutter.

Even with deflicker option turned on?

Viramati Senior Member • Posts: 1,373

Laddu wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

Haven't tried this yet but will try today if the situation arrises

Viramati's gear list:Viramati's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X100V Sony a9 Sony a7R III +10 more
tn1krr Senior Member • Posts: 1,318

Viramati wrote:

Laddu wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

Haven't tried this yet but will try today if the situation arrises

Anti-flicker shooting does not apply to silent shutter. It times mechanical shutter to minimize flicker

http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1710/v1/en/contents/TP0001211735.html

Try compressed RAW + AF-C to force 12-bit with silent shutter. That might lessen the distortion of moving objects. "If you want to shoot images in the RAW format with less distortion, set [Drive Mode] to [Cont. Shooting] and [RAW File Type] to [Compressed]."

http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1710/v1/en/contents/TP0001211759.html

The only place (to my understanding) where one can use silent shutter with flash is pixel shift, but the sync time is 1/13 do to sensor readout speed.

http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1710/v1/en/contents/TP0001552918.html

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +5 more
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 31,436
Global shutter ~= CMOS? No.

Bronto99 wrote:

Only CCD sensors have a global shutter and the A73 is a CMOS sensor.

How about the Arri, Red and Blackmagic cameras?

Sony makes global shutter CMOS sensors:

https://www.ptgrey.com/sony-pregius-global-shutter-cmos-technology

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 2,602

sparkie wrote:

From what I have read:

TIA

Not sure about the A7Riii but the "pros" of silent shutter and zero blackout with my A9 continue to amaze me!

Knowing what I know now about this feature it was worth the A9 price for that alone.

And shooting movement I cannot over emphasize the zero blackout feature - sorry A7rIII fans.

You can bet that the A7r4 will have zero blackout too because by that time people will be screaming for it.

I for one couldn't go back to a camera with a screen that goes black between shots.

But heck if you by into the whole megapixel marketing thing then the A7rIII is it

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 8,068

aSevenArr wrote:

But heck if you by into the whole megapixel marketing thing then the A7rIII is it

Some buy into the megapixel marketing thing, others buy into the zero blackout marketing thing. It's great to have choice!

scrane
scrane Senior Member • Posts: 2,028

Pardon me if this is an ignorant question, but will using the eshutter increase the likelihood of of sensor spots, in that the sensor is not shielded by the shutter during lens swaps?

scrane's gear list:scrane's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Sony a7R II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +10 more
VirtualRain
VirtualRain Regular Member • Posts: 261

scrane wrote:

Pardon me if this is an ignorant question, but will using the eshutter increase the likelihood of of sensor spots, in that the sensor is not shielded by the shutter during lens swaps?

Unfortunately the shutter is always open except when it takes a picture so it’s exposed during lens changes regardless of settings. I’ve often wondered why the shutter is not closed when you power off the camera to minimize dust during lens changes.

VirtualRain's gear list:VirtualRain's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +1 more
DavidB2 Contributing Member • Posts: 509

scrane wrote:

No.  In either case, as with every other mirrorless camera by every camera manufacturer, the sensor is not shielded during lens swaps.

DavidB2's gear list:DavidB2's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +20 more
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 2,602

BBQue wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

Some buy into the megapixel marketing thing, others buy into the zero blackout marketing thing. It's great to have choice!

Just wait for the A7r4 to launch and you’ll see the zero-blackout advantage for yourself (oh... and I do own higher MP cameras but I have since seen the light on that particular “advantage”).

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
jouni123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,757

You have gotten lot of replies about this point. I have used silent shutter on my Fujifilm X T-2 about a year, taken at least 30.000 pictures with it, extremely seldom got issues that should depent on silent shutter, not more than 10 pcs. I am street photographer.

Now I have had Sony a7r II 1½-month, have not taken more than 5 pictures with mechanical shutter. Because sensor on Sony is bigger and has almost two times more pixels, I can get more often disturbings on my pictures, I should say 2 -3 of hundred. My average succes relation use to be 2 - 3 better pics of hundred, that means issue hits very seldom those better ones.

So don't worry about this at all, camera has also mechanic shutter, easy to change when you want to be sure not to have issues.

Silent shutter is fantastic invention and tool, it didn't come to distroy pictures, it is here to help us take better pictures and help camera to hold much longer, I hope so. Anybody can undersand moving parts in mechanic shutter will be defect easier than what electronic stream can couse to camera, correct me if I am wrong. I know here in this forum is people who know this technic much better than me.

Here is link to 5 pictures, all of them are taken with silent shutter, some of them with cheap Samyung lens 35/2.8

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9019883962/albums/sony-a7r-ii

Wellcome to club,  jouni

jouni123's gear list:jouni123's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7R IV +12 more
OP sparkie Contributing Member • Posts: 783

aSevenArr wrote:

BBQue wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

Just wait for the A7r4 to launch and you’ll see the zero-blackout advantage for yourself (oh... and I do own higher MP cameras but I have since seen the light on that particular “advantage”).

What's the zero-blackout advantage?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads