Coolpix P7800

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
skinwalker2009 Regular Member • Posts: 125
Coolpix P7800

What would be a reasonable price point for a like-new, little used P7800 that I would use as an 'always with me in case of' camera.

(E-bay listings from Japan at $400 or more seem unrealistic given the ad-on cost of VAT and import duties).

Thanks for feedback.

skinwalker2009's gear list:skinwalker2009's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Huawei P9 Plus
Nikon Coolpix P7800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,400
Re: Coolpix P7800

I've also been following the prices at which P7800 (and P7700) cameras have been selling. They've been slowly but steadily climbing. Supply is shrinking, so demand seems to support the increases.  I bought a new P7800 on sale for $349, three years ago. The four-way controller went wonky though, so I sold it rather than footing the bill for repair.

André BARELIER
André BARELIER Veteran Member • Posts: 8,800

skinwalker2009 wrote:

What would be a reasonable price point for a like-new, little used P7800 that I would use as an 'always with me in case of' camera.

(E-bay listings from Japan at $400 or more seem unrealistic given the ad-on cost of VAT and import duties).

Thanks for feedback.

I don't know. I bought mine used 3 years ago for 200 or 250 Euros ( I don't remember...). Works perfectly and still is my preferred travel camera.

The only issue I've had concerns the 4 way controler, after 3 years. Fixed by Nikon for 50 Euros (free shipping both ways).

It's a great camera.

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon D3300 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
kayaker353 Contributing Member • Posts: 970

I bought a new in box P7800 early this year for about $450 through Amazon US.  Prices seem to have zoomed since then, however.

kayaker353's gear list:kayaker353's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR
JanMatthys Contributing Member • Posts: 595

I think this camera is way over priced, if you don't need the EVF a p7700 is the basically the same model, same sensor, same lens, same IQ, same performance and you can pick one up for $150.

BTW out of the p7xxx series cameras the best IQ is the p7000, shot raw, convert using Capture NX and you will be amazed at the skin tones and color accuracy.

kayaker353 Contributing Member • Posts: 970

I was replacing a Canon G10, which served me well.  I liked the similar layout of controls and shape.  It has numerous more modern features, such as auto-ISO for manual.  It also operates recent Nikon flashes (SB8000, et. al.)   But the EVF was a key feature for me.   I have great difficulty seeing the image on the viewing screen in daylight.  It  may not be the best implementation of this feature today,  but is certainly helps me to see what I am doing.

kayaker353's gear list:kayaker353's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR
JanMatthys Contributing Member • Posts: 595

kayaker353 wrote:

I was replacing a Canon G10, which served me well. I liked the similar layout of controls and shape. It has numerous more modern features, such as auto-ISO for manual. It also operates recent Nikon flashes (SB8000, et. al.) But the EVF was a key feature for me. I have great difficulty seeing the image on the viewing screen in daylight. It may not be the best implementation of this feature today, but is certainly helps me to see what I am doing.

I would double check the Auto ISO, I think it works the same with all the p7xxx series cameras. Controlling SB flashes and the EVF are nice features, since I just use these cameras as pocket cams, I don't carry any extra items or tripods with me, just stick the cam in my jacket and go, but it is certainly nice feature to have if you do a lot of flash photography, or carry light-stands & softboxes to do off camera flash photography

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads