What brand did you have before Sony?

Started Nov 20, 2017 | Polls
alex2016g Forum Member • Posts: 96
What brand did you have before Sony?

Just a quick poll to see which ecosystem is Sony affecting the most.

If you have upgraded to any of the Sony A7xx/9xx cameras from a non-Sony system, which system did you upgrade from?

alex2016g's gear list:alex2016g's gear list
Sony a7R II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +1 more
POLL
Canon
40.8% 116  votes
Fujifilm
6.3% 18  votes
Kodak
0.7% 2  votes
Leica
2.5% 7  votes
Nikon
18.3% 52  votes
Olympus
11.3% 32  votes
Panasonic
4.6% 13  votes
Pentax
6.7% 19  votes
Samsung
2.5% 7  votes
Sigma
1.1% 3  votes
Other
5.3% 15  votes
  Show results
ahaslett
ahaslett Senior Member • Posts: 5,119
Re: What brand did you have before Sony?

Hard to say because I have two other systems.

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R +27 more
OP alex2016g Forum Member • Posts: 96

ahaslett wrote:

Hard to say because I have two other systems.

Camera body that you immediately substituted with your first A7xx/9xx?

ahaslett
ahaslett Senior Member • Posts: 5,119

alex2016g wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

Hard to say because I have two other systems.

Camera body that you immediately substituted with your first A7xx/9xx?

Oops, vote change.  Not however an ILC.

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R +27 more
MRWEC Regular Member • Posts: 432
Sony all the way :)
-- hide signature --

Mark

omrhsn
omrhsn Regular Member • Posts: 230

Started with a Nikon D5300, upgraded to D7100 before getting the Sony A6300 which I've traded for Sony A7II

omrhsn's gear list:omrhsn's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Apple iPhone 8 Plus Apple iPad Air 2
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 13,556

First ILC was a D40; first Sony was a NEX-C3 which I gave to my wife when I bought the A7II.

It's clear that Canon is who has the largest leakrate though, thanks to the adapter situation.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
OP alex2016g Forum Member • Posts: 96

sportyaccordy wrote:

First ILC was a D40; first Sony was a NEX-C3 which I gave to my wife when I bought the A7II.

It's clear that Canon is who has the largest leakrate though, thanks to the adapter situation.

When ever I see an upgrade advice tread it always seems to be a canon user upgrading.

I guess canon users are ether less knowledgeable about Sony gear or just more open

I upgraded from a canon 70D after a year wait followed by failed expectations regarding 6D2

sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 13,556

Nikon also has some pretty solid entry level FF offerings in the D610 and D750. Weight and Live View aside both of them are much better cameras than the A7. If your shutter speeds are beyond IBIS range they are better than the A7II too.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
dave
dave Senior Member • Posts: 1,420

I think that many of us still use more then one brand of camera. I currently use Sony A7RII and Pentax K5II. Before the A7 series I used Canon 5d ff which my daughter now has. I have a dozen different brands of film cameras and legacy lenses which I use on the A7 series bodies.

-- hide signature --

Dave
Sony A7II Pentax K5II

dave's gear list:dave's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Sony a7R II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC +9 more
dpeete Regular Member • Posts: 246

"I upgraded from a canon 70D after a year wait followed by failed expectations regarding 6D2"

That is exactly the boat I am considering a jump into. I have been using a 70D with a Sigma 50-150 to photograph indoor volleyball, and need the better low light performance of a full frame. The 6D2's pathetic AF frame coverage has me looking to see if Sony is now able to grab my $$$. It looks like the A9 is a no-brainer, but I am hoping the A7riii would do well enough in the gym that I could use that as an "all arounder." Hopefully somebody goes for some sports testing at some point. An interesting sport shooter channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/pmrphoto/videos

dpeete's gear list:dpeete's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony a7R III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +9 more
PWPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 7,275

In this sequence,

5D, 5D II, 1D III (still own), 60D, EOS-M, 5D III, A7r (co-owned with 5D III for a while), A7 II (after sold 5D III), A7r II, A9. Also owned compact S95, sold and got RX100.

May still have a chance to get a 5D IV (mainly for 500L/4.0 IS and several Canon flashguns and two other EF lenses still keep) if there is a really good deal in future. Technically still own two systems although usually shooting with Sony in last few years.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
HeywardImages
HeywardImages New Member • Posts: 3

Pentax since film days. I got sick of waiting for the Pentax digital full frame but fell in love with the tiny A6000 and was hooked ever since.

Wasn't long before I bought the A7ii and now trying to decide between A7Rii (now price has dropped) and A7Sii (for video and astrophotography)

-- hide signature --

Pentax K3; Sony A6000, A7ii and a bunch of lenses and accessories!

www.tonyheywardimages.com.au

HeywardImages's gear list:HeywardImages's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
Mike99999 Regular Member • Posts: 445

alex2016g wrote:

Just a quick poll to see which ecosystem is Sony affecting the most.

If you have upgraded to any of the Sony A7xx/9xx cameras from a non-Sony system, which system did you upgrade from?

I had an Olympus for compactness and a Nikon DSLR for image quality.

Then I figured I could successfully merge both into one with the A7 series. I have never looked back.

Mike99999's gear list:Mike99999's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +8 more
NumberOne Veteran Member • Posts: 4,049

Even before 4 years ago, when I joined the Sony Ship, I began realizing that Canon was in a dead end concerning sensor technology/development.

Otoh, they were milking the cow or crippling cameras with the only reason being marketing policies.

I had enough of it - It was time to move on - I just did the same with Adobe now that  they announced the end of LR+PS standalone/computer versions...

It's just not my cup of tea...

All the best,
Pedro

NumberOne's gear list:NumberOne's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +13 more
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,352

Hard to say. I had a Minolta SLR in the 90s and into the early 2000s. I bought a Nikon D70 in 2004-ish. I didn't shoot photography and rarely used it. In 2011, I started a photo a day project that put me on the path to where I am today. I started with an iPhone camera and graduated by summer to a Lumix LX5, which was a pretty cool point and shoot for manual controls back then. That camera was used and I sold it about 45 days later to buy the Sony NEX 5N the day it came out. That was when I went Sony.

Along the way, I bought a Nikon D600 and had it 1 week (grease spots on the sensor issue). I then bought a Canon 6D for the better part of a year before going back to Sony with the A7. I have the A7RII now.

So, what did I have before Sony?

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Rokinon 135mm F2.0 +4 more
olstrup Veteran Member • Posts: 3,643

I think the poll is not too well laid out. It's a problem that one can only vote for one brand, but many use more than one brand.

You use the word "upgrade" for switching to Sony from another brand. I don't see it that way. I bought a Sony to get a smaller and lighter system (with the Leica M lenses I already had idle in the closet). The IQ is no better or worse than with my Nikon gear (which I kept and still use).

-- hide signature --

"Sharpness is a bourgois concept." (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 3,486

olstrup wrote:

I think the poll is not too well laid out. It's a problem that one can only vote for one brand, but many use more than one brand.

Agreed and I had the same problem.

As my sig line says, I'm a former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user. I chose Pentax, somewhat arbitrarily in the poll, because I was arguably using that the most immediately prior to the move to Sony. But of the three I've used Canon most since moving to digital (and used Pentax most in the pre-digital days).

I suspect there are more of us who have used or owned multiple systems (prior to our move to Sony) than not.

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony a6500 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +31 more
Jefenator
Jefenator Senior Member • Posts: 2,866

Nikon from the film days, Canon when I went digital in 2001, Sony when I got tired of being stuck at the "kiddie table" with Canon's EF-S lens system. (Full frame was still well beyond my grasp in 2012.)

Sony's NEX-7 got me hooked on EVF, then the A7 sealed the deal.

I keep hearing that Canon and Nikon are going to finally get serious about mirrorless soon. I would very much like to see that, though I doubt either will win my business back. (You never know, though - both still offer a certain matured refinement when it comes to interface, colors, support, etc and both can still deliver some pretty compelling bang for the buck when properly motivated.)

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony a7 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony Alpha NEX-7 +8 more
Landsandgrooves Regular Member • Posts: 244

Need a better poll, to allow multiple systems.

Nikon

Fuji

Leica (M and R)

Olympus

Pentax (35mm, 645, 67)

Others.

Landsandgrooves's gear list:Landsandgrooves's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7S II Sony a7R III Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads