Lens choice more crucial with D850

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
ShutterDude Contributing Member • Posts: 695
Lens choice more crucial with D850

I just read a review saying that because of the megapixel count of the D850, it would show more lens softness that is if the lens is not up to par with almost being optically perfect, which makes sense.

I would think that prime lenses would be better suited for the D850 since there are more variance factors in the zoom type lenses.

Thoughts?

Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Raul Veteran Member • Posts: 8,240
Re: Lens choice more crucial with D850
vbuhay
vbuhay Veteran Member • Posts: 3,551
Re: Lens choice more crucial with D850
2

It depends how the lens is used, these are from my Tamron 150-600 G2

ShutterDude wrote:

I just read a review saying that because of the megapixel count of the D850, it would show more lens softness that is if the lens is not up to par with almost being optically perfect, which makes sense.

I would think that prime lenses would be better suited for the D850 since there are more variance factors in the zoom type lenses.

Thoughts?

In general Primes usually have a better sharpness and resolution.... but it is always 99.9% dependent on the user.....

 vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D500 Nikon D750 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 +32 more
Jim Keye Senior Member • Posts: 2,095
Re: Lens choice more crucial with D850

You should probably post this in the lens forum. But also, use the search function. This topic has been beaten on pretty had. Mike gives a pretty good answer here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60371267

Wahrsager
Wahrsager Senior Member • Posts: 1,221
Re: Lens choice more crucial with D850

I agree with vbuhay. I think it's more about technique/ how the lens is used. I've achieved stellar results on lenses not on the "recommended lens list" back when the D800E was new.

 Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR +22 more
mgblack74 Regular Member • Posts: 435
Re: Lens choice more crucial with D850
2

ShutterDude wrote:

I just read a review saying that because of the megapixel count of the D850, it would show more lens softness that is if the lens is not up to par with almost being optically perfect, which makes sense.

I would think that prime lenses would be better suited for the D850 since there are more variance factors in the zoom type lenses.

Thoughts?

The D850 is only a 12% linear increase over the D810. Not nearly enough to suddenly destroy lenses.  In fact it makes all the lenses better. Resolution is a combination of sensor and lens working together. I've been slowly collecting Series E lenses from the late 70's/early 80's and have been astonished at how good they are on the D850. Better than on the D750 in fact.

 mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D850 Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +2 more
simonkit1 Regular Member • Posts: 278
Re: Lens choice more crucial with D850
2

mgblack74 wrote:

ShutterDude wrote:

I just read a review saying that because of the megapixel count of the D850, it would show more lens softness that is if the lens is not up to par with almost being optically perfect, which makes sense.

I would think that prime lenses would be better suited for the D850 since there are more variance factors in the zoom type lenses.

Thoughts?

The D850 is only a 12% linear increase over the D810. Not nearly enough to suddenly destroy lenses. In fact it makes all the lenses better. Resolution is a combination of sensor and lens working together. I've been slowly collecting Series E lenses from the late 70's/early 80's and have been astonished at how good they are on the D850. Better than on the D750 in fact.

Normally I'd have dismissed the need for better lenses with the D850, I certainly did when I bought the D800 and never had any issue. However switching from D800 to D850 has made me sell my 24-120F4 which whilst fine on the D800 just wasn't to my own satisfaction on the D850, corner weakness was emphasised just a little too much

Simon

-- hide signature --

Author of the photo location guidebook, PHOTOGRAPHING NORTH WALES.
http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com
https://www.facebook.com/simonkitchinphotos

Geomaticsman
Geomaticsman Senior Member • Posts: 2,199
Re: Lens choice more crucial with D850
1

There's no denying that if you want to ensure every pixel remains sharp as sensors continue to get more dense, you're going to have to pay closer attention to optical quality and technique. Most modern prime lenses should continue to work well -- even modestly priced ones like Nikon's 1.8G's -- as do the most recent zooms of good quality, but the newer sensors will more easily reveal flaws when pixel peeping; the 24-120G comes to mind, which IMO was questionable choice as a kit lens for the D850. There's no need to by-pass all zooms...just be choosy.

-- hide signature --

Gary -- Some Nikon stuff -- and a preference for wildlife in natural light
www.flickr.com/photos/garyirwin/

 Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
smithim Contributing Member • Posts: 689
Re: Lens choice more crucial with D850

mgblack74 wrote:

I've been slowly collecting Series E lenses from the late 70's/early 80's and have been astonished at how good they are on the D850. Better than on the D750 in fact.

JOOI, which Series E lenses do you find particularly good?

mgblack74 Regular Member • Posts: 435
Re: Lens choice more crucial with D850

smithim wrote:

mgblack74 wrote:

I've been slowly collecting Series E lenses from the late 70's/early 80's and have been astonished at how good they are on the D850. Better than on the D750 in fact.

JOOI, which Series E lenses do you find particularly good?

I have the 28 2.8, 50 1.8, 135 2.8 (I also have a 55 2.8 Ai-S macro & 105 2.5 Ai-S) I like them all. I also use them on a recently acquired FA body. My least favorite is the 135... not for image quality but the aperture ring click feels cheap and plasticy (which was the intent of Series E lenses). I don't mind per se, but the others feel of much higher quality by comparrison, so the 135 sticks out in this regard.

I have modern AF-S Nano coated lenses etc for work, but the Series E lenses have become my walk around/hobby lenses.... allows for a slower pace of shooting like film. They are great for video too because they only need to resolve 2 or 8mp worth of video. I didn't get them to be technically perfect like the Otus or Art (I'm not a corner measure beater anyway). I bought them for their character and style of shooting. Plus you can put 4 of them in your coat pocket so to speak ;-). That said, they come from a time where there wasn't any in camera software to correct for distortion or vignetting. And I find they have very little distortion. Their sharpness is purely a bonus.

 mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D850 Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +2 more
smithim Contributing Member • Posts: 689
Re: Lens choice more crucial with D850

mgblack74 wrote:

I have the 28 2.8, 50 1.8, 135 2.8 (I also have a 55 2.8 Ai-S macro & 105 2.5 Ai-S) I like them all. I also use them on a recently acquired FA body. My least favorite is the 135... not for image quality but the aperture ring click feels cheap and plasticy (which was the intent of Series E lenses). I don't mind per se, but the others feel of much higher quality by comparrison, so the 135 sticks out in this regard.

Interesting - thank you... I have a couple of 75-150s, and a 70-210. As I have other manual Nikkors (e.g. a couple of 135s , 105s, 50s and 28), I've never felt tempted to fill in the rest of them. Take your point about the size and weight, though.

ArthurMeursault
ArthurMeursault Regular Member • Posts: 312
Re: Lens choice more crucial with D850

However switching from D800 to D850 has made me sell my 24-120F4 which whilst fine on the D800 just wasn't to my own satisfaction on the D850, corner weakness was emphasised just a little too much

Whilst heading to the loo one day, the water closet on my floor was rubbish so I paid an extra quid to take the lift and had a brilliant Shatner drop on the top floor.

-- hide signature --

"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone’s feelings unintentionally."

 ArthurMeursault's gear list:ArthurMeursault's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 1,709
Re: Lens choice more crucial with D850

My D850 photos are tack sharp even while chasing a dog. Don't believe everything you read on the internets. Fake news.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

 AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
jshen808
jshen808 Senior Member • Posts: 7,068
Re: Lens choice more crucial with D850

ShutterDude wrote:

I just read a review saying that because of the megapixel count of the D850, it would show more lens softness that is if the lens is not up to par with almost being optically perfect, which makes sense.

I would think that prime lenses would be better suited for the D850 since there are more variance factors in the zoom type lenses.

Thoughts?

..here's my example on when a lens works well with a lower megapixel camera but doesn't work as well on a higher megapixel camera..

..the lens is the Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 dx vr lens, the cameras are D7500 20.9mp and D3300 24.2mp cameras..

..the two pictures below were shot in jpeg, both center cropped at 50%, both were processed with Perfectly Clear without sharpening..

D7500 (20.9mp) + 16-85mm

D3300 (24.2mp) + 16-85mm

..every lens is different.. just because a lens is old, that doesn't mean it performs poorly.. best not to judge a lens by it's cover..

..Best wishes..

-- hide signature --

Regards, John..
..down with naysayers!
'wake up and smell the roses'

 jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P610
AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 1,709
Re: Lens choice more crucial with D850

2nd image has a shallower DOF, more of the frame is OOF. Not sure this is a good comparison.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

 AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
jshen808
jshen808 Senior Member • Posts: 7,068
Re: Lens choice more crucial with D850

AZBlue wrote:

2nd image has a shallower DOF, more of the frame is OOF. Not sure this is a good comparison.

..thanks for commenting ..nothings ever perfect is it..

..best for everyone do their own comparisons, and not just hearsays..

..Cheers..

-- hide signature --

Regards, John..
..down with naysayers!
'wake up and smell the roses'

 jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P610
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads