Is Nikon D750 $800 better than Canon 6D? Locked

Started 11 months ago | Questions
This thread is locked.
alcudish New Member • Posts: 13
Is Nikon D750 $800 better than Canon 6D?

This will be my first full frame camera. I just got a nice deal from Best Buy for Canon 6D + 24-105mm F/4 lens kit for $1209 (listing price $2199)

Now Amazon has Nikon D750 + 24-120mm f/4G NIKKOR Lens for $1996, and giving Nikon battery pack + 128G SD card + backpack for free. The listing price for all those items in total is more than $3700, so it's supposed to be a saving of $1700.

But anyway it's still $800 more than what I paid for Canon 6D. I watched several Youtube videos and I know D750 in many ways is better than 6D, but is it $800 better?

I mostly shoot landscape, and is kind of beginner.

Thanks!

ANSWER:
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Silvex Senior Member • Posts: 1,185
Re: Is Nikon D750 $800 better than Canon 6D?

alcudish wrote:

This will be my first full frame camera. I just got a nice deal from Best Buy for Canon 6D + 24-105mm F/4 lens kit for $1209 (listing price $2199)

Now Amazon has Nikon D750 + 24-120mm f/4G NIKKOR Lens for $1996, and giving Nikon battery pack + 128G SD card + backpack for free. The listing price for all those items in total is more than $3700, so it's supposed to be a saving of $1700.

But anyway it's still $800 more than what I paid for Canon 6D. I watched several Youtube videos and I know D750 in many ways is better than 6D, but is it $800 better?

I mostly shoot landscape, and is kind of beginner.

Thanks!

I would put it somewhere in the $500-800 range. Unless you are hip deep in Canon glass, Nikon might be the better long term pathway too. They generally offer much more for a lot less money.

Part of me wants to talk you out of your buyers remorse, validate what a good deal you got and affirm that $2000 is too much for a beginner anyway, tell you not to second guess and enjoy the 6D. But looking at it objectively, the D750 package looks like a much better value.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 12,165

Silvex wrote:

I would put it somewhere in the $500-800 range. Unless you are hip deep in Canon glass, Nikon might be the better long term pathway too. They generally offer much more for a lot less money.

Not with lenses.

Herra Kuulapaa Regular Member • Posts: 191

J A C S wrote:

Silvex wrote:

Not with lenses.

Agree, both manufacturer lenses cost approx the same and there are no major differences.

PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 10,706

Herra Kuulapaa wrote:

J A C S wrote:

Silvex wrote:

Not with lenses.

Agree, both manufacturer lenses cost approx the same and there are no major differences.

Oh, there so are differences...

Give me a series of shots (...sports, preferably...) with lenses from the 2 brands (...random, not cherry-picked...) and I will tell which were taken with which brand's lenses with a very high level of certainty.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.humbertoborgesfotografia.com/
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

OP alcudish New Member • Posts: 13

Thank you for the answer

Unless you are hip deep in Canon glass, Nikon might be the better long term pathway too. They generally offer much more for a lot less money.

Really? Lack of lenses is the reason that I jump from Sony to Canon. I heard Nikon and Canon both have plenty good lenses to pick.

Part of me wants to talk you out of your buyers remorse, validate what a good deal you got and affirm that $2000 is too much for a beginner anyway, tell you not to second guess and enjoy the 6D. But looking at it objectively, the D750 package looks like a much better value.

D750 package is a bigger discount from MSRP in total, but I'm not sure if I really need the multiple battery pack grip with MSRP $485.

I also wonder why the 6D deal got very hot on slickdeal while nobody got excited about D750 package there.

Jozef M Contributing Member • Posts: 856

If I should start all over again, I would never ever buy in a system of the past.

The cameras (and lenses) are too big, and the mirror slaps produce too much vibration for the high resolution sensors of today and the future. Look at the medium format cameras of Hasselblad and Fuji, no mirrors anymore. Nikon and Canon are coming with a high standard mirrorless system anyway, maybe soon as next year.

Jozef.

Jozef M's gear list:Jozef M's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 30D Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
OP alcudish New Member • Posts: 13

I have Sony mirrorless, the problem is lack of lens choice.. And that's why I'm jumping for Nikon/Canon

alcudish wrote:

I have Sony mirrorless, the problem is lack of lens choice.. And that's why I'm jumping for Nikon/Canon

With all respect, but maybe you can open your eyes and your mind ...

Sony lenses

Jozef.

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,889
Looking

Jozef M wrote:

alcudish wrote:

Sony lenses

Looking at the link...does seem Nikon./Canon does have a noticeable advantage in lenses over the Sony offerings.  Not sure how 3rd party options affect the math though

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

brightcolours Forum Pro • Posts: 15,413
Nonsense

Jozef M wrote:

If I should start all over again, I would never ever buy in a system of the past.

The cameras (and lenses) are too big,

Oh boy. You dislike good ergonomie and good battery times?

and the mirror slaps produce too much vibration for the high resolution sensors of today and the future.

That is nonsense. The mirror slap only is an issue on tripods. On tripods, you have mirror lock up, and also of course live view available.

Look at the medium format cameras of Hasselblad and Fuji, no mirrors anymore.

No good ergonomics anymore. Heavy and very expensive lenses only. Very limited lens selection.

Nikon and Canon are coming with a high standard mirrorless system anyway, maybe soon as next year.

Jozef.

brightcolours Forum Pro • Posts: 15,413
Re: Looking

Mako2011 wrote:

Jozef M wrote:

alcudish wrote:

Sony lenses

Looking at the link...does seem Nikon./Canon does have a noticeable advantage in lenses over the Sony offerings. Not sure how 3rd party options affect the math though

3rd party lenses also have more choice for Nikon and Canon F- and EF mount.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Mako2011
OK :)

PhotoKhan wrote:

Herra Kuulapaa wrote:

J A C S wrote:

Silvex wrote:

Not with lenses.

Give me a series of shots (...sports, preferably...) with lenses from the 2 brands (...random, not cherry-picked...) and I will tell which were taken with which brand's lenses with a very high level of certainty.

PK

OK.....  for fun

Canon vs Nikon ...2 sets.  ....2 different profiles

Which pics with what brand?  Sorry didn't have a sports image for comparison

fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,226
Re: OK :)

As somebody who's been here a long time and a moderator you should know that differences in color is not what he's hinting at. He meant the idea that Canon lenses are superior.

I'd want the left version on my side, preferably bottom left because it gives me the most insight into the green-red region of yellow differentiation.

And I've shot both Canon & Nikon

PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 10,706
Re: OK :)

Mako2011 wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

Herra Kuulapaa wrote:

J A C S wrote:

Silvex wrote:

Not with lenses.

PK

OK..... for fun

Canon vs Nikon ...2 sets. ....2 different profiles

Which pics with what brand? Sorry didn't have a sports image for comparison

No.

Real shots. Actual photographs, with actual natural light.

(...Have you been around here for so long, pixel-peeping so much that is now is your Photography standard?...)

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
http://www.humbertoborgesfotografia.com/
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

golfhov Senior Member • Posts: 7,716
Jozef's point

Seemed to be that there now a LOT of lenses available on Sony mirrorless now. They have added extensively to their FE lineup over the last few years and not third party manufacturers are joining in.

No doubt Canikon have and will retain a sheer numbers lead but unless you specialize in certain fields you can likely find what you wish on Sony. If he has apsc that is a bit more complicated but he has only discussed full frame cameras. In three different forums........

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a7 III Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
Re: Jozef's point

golfhov wrote:

Seemed to be that there now a LOT of lenses available on Sony mirrorless now. They have added extensively to their FE lineup over the last few years and not third party manufacturers are joining in.

No doubt Canikon have and will retain a sheer numbers lead but unless you specialize in certain fields you can likely find what you wish on Sony. If he has apsc that is a bit more complicated but he has only discussed full frame cameras. In three different forums........

Yes, thank you, this is my point and there will be a lot more lenses to come.

2 or 3 years ago, they said: "But there are no lenses ...", and this is repeated on and on and on. The (pro) DSLR world is very very conservative, and maybe not without reason ... but Sony and the likes are not standing still.

Jozef.

golfhov Senior Member • Posts: 7,716
not to try and hijack the conversation

Jozef M wrote:

golfhov wrote:

Yes, thank you, this is my point and there will be a lot more lenses to come.

hopefully. The gap is closing BUT as all the slots get filled the pace of release will likely slow.

2 or 3 years ago, they said: "But there are no lenses ...",

and this is repeated on and on and on.

a lot of repetition for sure. This forum seems a bit different than nikon in that a lot of people here have at least dipped their toes in the water. Maybe they didn't get in but they did see that Sony has an interesting product. seems far less nikon users have dipped their toes dues to lens incompatibility. Stuff like "inflexible files" just go unchecked in there

The (pro) DSLR world is very very conservative, and maybe not without reason ...

well the pro world is the pro world. This is an entirely different conversation. Interesting in a way but not really relevant to our conversation. here we are talking to a newbie who is having trouble with two DSLR otions and we do not even know which Sony camera they are coming from

but Sony and the likes are not standing still.

Jozef.

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a7 III Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
Mike - Contributing Member • Posts: 692
Considering both lenses and bodies, overall...50-50

I actually do own...more than one of each Canon (many), Sony (3), Nikon (3) full frame cameras.

For me, Canon has the better lens line-up.

Body wise, essentially a tossup.  While I do look for detail (sharpness) in my pictures, THAT'S mostly a lens deal, though if you have the money, the new D850 Nikon seems to be the new leader in detail.  Anyway, between the D750 and the 6D, "kit" wise (non-pixel peeping wise) a tossup.  Some like the D750, some like the 6D, me...either will do..!

Mike

Mako2011
note

Note the smiley

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads