A7 & MC-11

Started Nov 19, 2017 | Discussions
Mathieu18
Mathieu18 Senior Member • Posts: 4,130
A7 & MC-11

How well does the MC-11 work with the original A7?

-- hide signature --

MattParvin.com
"We're the hot rodders of the camera world!" ~ Tom Caldwell

Mathieu18's gear list:Mathieu18's gear list
Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-E3 Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +17 more
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Everythingis1
Everythingis1 Contributing Member • Posts: 584
Re: A7 & MC-11

Mathieu18 wrote:

Worked perfectly for me except with the 24-104mm F4, which they supposedly fixed about 3 months after I sold it because of the issues.

PWPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 5,687

Everythingis1 wrote:

Mathieu18 wrote:

Worked perfectly for me except with the 24-104mm F4, which they supposedly fixed about 3 months after I sold it because of the issues.

Maybe I am wrong but from my understanding the first generation of A7 and A7r don't support PDAF on adapted lenses. Canon EF 70-200L/4.0 IS for example can AF on my original A7r but very slow thru CDAF, basically impractical to use in real world. Therefore I sold it and bought FE 70-200G/4.0 OSS instead. Then a few months later Sony released FW update to enable PDAF on adapted lenses for A7 II and A7r II.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +13 more
Mathieu18
OP Mathieu18 Senior Member • Posts: 4,130

Min theory the MC-11 and later Metabones firmware bridged some of the gap with non PDAF cameras and adapted lenses. To what extent is what I was curious about... I think it’s a lot better than it was but don’t know if it’s acceptable.

PWPhotography wrote:

Everythingis1 wrote:

Mathieu18 wrote:

-- hide signature --

MattParvin.com

Maybe I am wrong but from my understanding the first generation of A7 and A7r don't support PDAF on adapted lenses. Canon EF 70-200L/4.0 IS for example can AF on my original A7r but very slow thru CDAF, basically impractical to use in real world. Therefore I sold it and bought FE 70-200G/4.0 OSS instead. Then a few months later Sony released FW update to enable PDAF on adapted lenses for A7 II and A7r II.

-- hide signature --

MattParvin.com

Mathieu18's gear list:Mathieu18's gear list
Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-E3 Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +17 more
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 12,301

The Techart EF adapter somehow unlocked PDAF on my A7 back in 2015 and it worked at near native speeds- with the right lenses. So it's possible this could work.

But personally I loathed the ergonomics of the A7, even with smaller lenses. So with the big ART glass that is MC-11 compatible it's gonna be pretty awful.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads