Heads up- Sigma lenses DON'T work with the Fotodiox EF adapter on the A7II

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,852
Heads up- Sigma lenses DON'T work with the Fotodiox EF adapter on the A7II

I checked Brian Smith's site and saw that most Sigmas work well with the Fotodiox on the A7RII, so I figured that would be the case for the A7II as well as lenses by other brands (Tamron & Canon) worked as reported. I tried the following lenses:

• 50 1.4 EX
  • 85 1.4 EX
  • 35 ART

None of them focus with the A7II + Fotodiox. They just hunt. Now I'd bet they would work with the A7II + Metabones, or the A7RII + Fotodiox, but for whatever reason the A7II + Fotodiox combo is DOA. These discoveries are pushing me more and more to native glass, since more affordable options are coming out and Canon's stuff is either ancient (50 1.4, 85 1.8) or expensive (35 1.4 I & II). Next on the list is probably the Samyang 35 1.4... been happy with the 50 so far.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +3 more
Entropy512 Senior Member • Posts: 3,607
Re: Heads up- Sigma lenses DON'T work with the Fotodiox EF adapter on the A7II

sportyaccordy wrote:

I checked Brian Smith's site and saw that most Sigmas work well with the Fotodiox on the A7RII, so I figured that would be the case for the A7II as well as lenses by other brands (Tamron & Canon) worked as reported. I tried the following lenses:

• 50 1.4 EX
  • 85 1.4 EX
  • 35 ART

None of them focus with the A7II + Fotodiox. They just hunt. Now I'd bet they would work with the A7II + Metabones, or the A7RII + Fotodiox, but for whatever reason the A7II + Fotodiox combo is DOA. These discoveries are pushing me more and more to native glass, since more affordable options are coming out and Canon's stuff is either ancient (50 1.4, 85 1.8) or expensive (35 1.4 I & II). Next on the list is probably the Samyang 35 1.4... been happy with the 50 so far.

Interesting.  I can tell you that the Sigma 17-70 + Metabones works better than MC-11 on A6300/A6500 for most use cases - but dunno about A7II.

Seems like Sony might have been pushing it when they backported the legacy adapter AF algo to it.

This is why I really was hoping for an A7III.

Entropy512's gear list:Entropy512's gear list
Sony a6000 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Sony a6300 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
OP sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,852

I don't know that an A7III would boost compatibility with the Fotodiox; but with each native lens I get the less I can justify the cost of the Metabones.

However, an A7III would probably push me over to Metabones if it were able to AF-C at 5FPS or better. That + a used Canon 70-300 is still way cheaper than the FE 70-300. Hell, that + a used unstabilized 70-200 2.8 would probably be cheaper and I could use that as a portrait lens.

But yea, Sigma + Fotodiox + A7II is probably no go. A7II seems to be more like A7 1.5. I still love it though.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

NEX-5T Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +3 more

sportyaccordy wrote:

I don't know that an A7III would boost compatibility with the Fotodiox; but with each native lens I get the less I can justify the cost of the Metabones.

However, an A7III would probably push me over to Metabones if it were able to AF-C at 5FPS or better. That + a used Canon 70-300 is still way cheaper than the FE 70-300. Hell, that + a used unstabilized 70-200 2.8 would probably be cheaper and I could use that as a portrait lens.

But yea, Sigma + Fotodiox + A7II is probably no go. A7II seems to be more like A7 1.5. I still love it though.

I wish Metabones would fix the Advanced mode AF-C regressions they introduced in 0.52 compared to 0.50 - it largely negates the benefits of PDAF across the frame introduced in 0.57. 

What regressions did they make? Thankfully they do listen to customer feedback.... another plus.

-- hide signature --

sportyaccordy wrote:

What regressions did they make? Thankfully they do listen to customer feedback.... another plus.

In 0.50, Advanced mode used PDAF for AF-C (you could see the "dancing squares") - it was limited to only the center AF points, but it was usable.

In 0.52 and later, Advanced Mode uses pure CDAF for AF-C - the end result is the AF constantly hunts back and forth, although someone did indicate that it will hold off the shutter when you press it until the lens is in position.  However the hunting/oscillation is bad for bursting.

In 0.57, they added the ability to use PDAF across the entire frame - however unfortunately due to the fact that CDAF dominates in Advanced mode, this isn't really that much benefit.

I've asked you about 20 times, but Advanced mode = native emulation and Green = LA-EA3 emulation correct?

Which mode works better with your EF 85 1.8?

-- hide signature --

sportyaccordy wrote:

I've asked you about 20 times, but Advanced mode = native emulation and Green = LA-EA3 emulation correct?

Yup.

Green, without a doubt.  In general, Green works better for nearly everything - burst AF in older bodies (pre-A9) is one of the few exceptions.  A9 and I think A7RIII also have improved EA3 bursting capabilities.

Or should be in theory - lack of PDAF in AF-C with the Metabones ruins it.  AF-C in native emulation shouldn't be much different from EA3 emulation in terms of general AF performance other than bursts - in fact the most common workaround for the poor AF performance of MC-11's native emulation was to use the "unsupported" AF-C capability!

Entropy512 wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Yup.

Green, without a doubt. In general, Green works better for nearly everything - burst AF in older bodies (pre-A9) is one of the few exceptions. A9 and I think A7RIII also have improved EA3 bursting capabilities.

Or should be in theory - lack of PDAF in AF-C with the Metabones ruins it. AF-C in native emulation shouldn't be much different from EA3 emulation in terms of general AF performance other than bursts - in fact the most common workaround for the poor AF performance of MC-11's native emulation was to use the "unsupported" AF-C capability!

I have had decent luck with AF-C with my Canon glass + the Fotodiox; the problem is it doesn't stop down between shots in AF-C. Not a problem with a slow 70-300; but with the odd time I do AF-C with a faster lens it can be the death of a shot.

Oddly enough, my Techart Pro needed AF-C to lock focus accurately; perhaps it needed an AF tune, but I never got it to lock with AF-S. So I had one adapter that only worked in AF-S, and another that only worked in AF-C- after blowing a bunch of shots on both I got rid of the Techart, as amazing as it was to see work.

I do hope one day Sony opens up its OS protocol for the aftermarket to tinker with, as I imagine they could do a better job and be much more responsive to stuff like this. Can you imagine what a Magic Lantern type system could do for us adapter guys?

-- hide signature --

sportyaccordy wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Yup.

Green, without a doubt. In general, Green works better for nearly everything - burst AF in older bodies (pre-A9) is one of the few exceptions. A9 and I think A7RIII also have improved EA3 bursting capabilities.

Or should be in theory - lack of PDAF in AF-C with the Metabones ruins it. AF-C in native emulation shouldn't be much different from EA3 emulation in terms of general AF performance other than bursts - in fact the most common workaround for the poor AF performance of MC-11's native emulation was to use the "unsupported" AF-C capability!

I have had decent luck with AF-C with my Canon glass + the Fotodiox; the problem is it doesn't stop down between shots in AF-C. Not a problem with a slow 70-300; but with the odd time I do AF-C with a faster lens it can be the death of a shot.

Oddly enough, my Techart Pro needed AF-C to lock focus accurately; perhaps it needed an AF tune, but I never got it to lock with AF-S. So I had one adapter that only worked in AF-S, and another that only worked in AF-C- after blowing a bunch of shots on both I got rid of the Techart, as amazing as it was to see work.

I do hope one day Sony opens up its OS protocol for the aftermarket to tinker with, as I imagine they could do a better job and be much more responsive to stuff like this. Can you imagine what a Magic Lantern type system could do for us adapter guys?

This is partly why I started doing my reverse engineering project - to push up the "bare minimum" level of adapter technology knowledge/capability over time.

It's slow going though - I was hoping the Viltrox IV might make a good "hack platform" but the bootloader expects encrypted firmwares.  There's a slight chance they didn't turn on readback protection but given that they encrypted the updates, the chances of that are VERY slim.

I'm also going to crack open a cheap Andoer adapter I bought - if it's ARM-based I might be able to put in a serial bootloader that would make it a good adapter development/hack platform.  Just haven't had the time.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads