coffee91
coffee91 New Member • Posts: 10
Close-up Filter or Extension Tubes ?

Hii!
so.. I just want one of my lenses as macro
but I just can't decide whether to pick close-up filter or the extension tubes
some says extension tubes cause vignetting,
close-up filter degrades your images
is tat true? is there anyone can explain the pros & the cons ? and which one you think is better?

coffee91's gear list:coffee91's gear list
Sony Alpha a7S Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Snapshott Senior Member • Posts: 2,262
Re: Close-up Filter or Extension Tubes ?

It's helpful to know the macro lens you intend to us this on.

Snapshott's gear list:Snapshott's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Phil Shaw Regular Member • Posts: 186

Extension tubes.

Extension tubes allow your lens to focus at a closer distance to the subject, image quality is not affected by any change in lens characteristics.  Focusing at infinity will not be possible though.

A close-up filter affects the way your lens focuses and, depending on the lens, you may only be able to focus at one specific distance.

BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,090

coffee91 wrote:

Hii!
is tat true? is there anyone can explain the pros & the cons ? and which one you think is better?

Extension tubes are usually the preference for lenses up to 100mm, particularly with a 50mm prime. Everyone who does macro can relate to that. Extension tubes should work with any lens you have.

Close-up lenses are a better choice with longer focal lengths where the focal length increases the magnification. It might make a zoom lens seem like it has more zoom, but you are much closer to the subject. The diopter strength and thread size need to match that lens. The wrong size can cause vignetting.

With the higher quality sets, there is no real difference in image quality. A cheap set of close-up lenses might be OK for testing to see how this works, but you won't get good results with them.

TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Senior Member • Posts: 2,273

Ah, you have a Voigtlander

Not answering your question directly, but I did try extension tubes and decided to buy the Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS instead.

Why? It's all about perspective. The Canon 100-400 II that I have is famous for its minimum focus distance, but Dragonflies at 1 meter look like ones that are preserved by a drunk. The perspective is not right, other photographers must see it too but I seldom hear about it.

If you are serious about macro, buy that Canon, it is ridiculously good: sharp, fantastic colors, smooth bokeh (and lightweight). In the Zoo it's the only lens I carry.

Of course, for perspective other macro lenses will work too.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse
Active Outdoor Photographer

Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 12,829

Using a macro lens, i.e. one that lets you get a 1:1 image, is generally easier than using extension tubes or close up lenses.  If you want to get an even greater magnification than 1:1 then you can use an extension tube with the macro lens.

If you do buy extension tubes be sure to get good quality metal ones that pass through aperture signals.  You made an investment in a camera body and lenses so don't go cheap on extension tubes, buy quality.

The Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS will give you very good image quality. Hand holding a macro lens is more common than using a tripod so the Image Stabilization of this lens is a great feature.  The new price is $749.99 with an eBay used price around $450-$550.

YouTube - 10 Macro Photography Tips

YouTube - My 10 Best Macro Photography Tips for Beginners

If you can't afford this lens the Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 lens is a good quality lens with the drawback that it doesn't have image stabilization. You can get one of these new for about $650 or used for $200-$400 depending on condition and source.

I bought my Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 locally over Craigslist for about $250, but you need to know what you are doing when you buy a lens without a return guarantee.  I have been doing photography for over 50 years and could tell from looks and some quick tests that there didn't appear to be problems (call it an educated risk).  The original owner wasn't happy with the image sharpness and had barely used the lens but once I added an Auto Focus Microadjustment I solved that problem.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
Snapshott Senior Member • Posts: 2,262

Sailor Blue wrote:

If you can't afford this lens the Tamron SP 90MM F/2.8 Di 1:1 lens is a good quality lens with the drawback that it doesn't have image stabilization. You can get one of these new for about $650 or used for $200-$400 depending on condition and source.

Tamron currently sells two Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro lenses. The one without image stabilization runs $499 while the IS version is $649. Both are great lenses but are very different in design.

Snapshott's gear list:Snapshott's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Sailor Blue
Sailor Blue Forum Pro • Posts: 12,829

Good point Snapshott. Here are reviews of the two lenses.

Imiging Resource - Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 SP AF

Imiging Resource - Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di MACRO 1:1 VC USD SP

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +10 more
akustykmagmanetpl Contributing Member • Posts: 846

it'd be an easy answer if Op decided to include crucial information about focal lengths to be used

coffee91 wrote:

Hii!

akustykmagmanetpl's gear list:akustykmagmanetpl's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel T6i Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads