People Who Shoot Micro 4/3 Are the Luckiest People

Started Nov 16, 2017 | Discussions
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 9,572
People Who Shoot Micro 4/3 Are the Luckiest People

This might be of interest to M43 users.

It is the current post on TOP one of the better photo blogs, and about the only one I bother to follow.

-- hide signature --
 NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D810 Olympus OM-D E-M5
junk1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,566
Re: People Who Shoot Micro 4/3 Are the Luckiest People

Carrie Underwood's husband shoots m43?

NCV
OP NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 9,572

Who is Carrie Underwood?

-- hide signature --
PhotoguyCanada
PhotoguyCanada Senior Member • Posts: 1,356

A popular American singer .. her husband is Mike Fisher a popular Canadian professional hockey player who has just retired

PhotoguyCanada's gear list:PhotoguyCanada's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 7,973

I wouldn’t say lucky but I love the format. I consider it the swiss army knife of cameras because it basically can do anything and is small enough to take anywhere 🤗

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +6 more
daleeight Senior Member • Posts: 2,318

PhotoguyCanada wrote:

A popular American singer .. her husband is Mike Fisher a popular Canadian professional hockey player who has just retired

If she was my spouse, I'd have retired after 16 seasons in the NHL.

-- hide signature --

Dale

daleeight's gear list:daleeight's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +7 more
daleeight Senior Member • Posts: 2,318
Really?

If lucky means we need over $3000 for that trifecta of glass goodness, then I guess so.

More lucky would mean that we can AFFORD to pay over $3000 for that trifecta.

it is "lucky" to have all the options that there are for those focal lengths is more like it. Each of those focal lengths has multiple options available in Olympus or Panasonic badges, and a few others too. That is lucky.

-- hide signature --

Dale

daleeight's gear list:daleeight's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +7 more
FrankS009
FrankS009 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,250

Mike is lucky having met Joni Mitchell. I agree m4/3rds is the photographic sweet spot.

F.

-- hide signature --

"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others." David duChemin
"What's the use of having a great depth of field if there is not an adequate depth of feeling?" - W. Eugene Smith

NCV

FrankS009 wrote:

Mike is lucky having met Joni Mitchell. I agree m4/3rds is the photographic sweet spot.

F.

That was a great post too about one of my favourite artists.

-- hide signature --
NCV
Re: Really?

daleeight wrote:

If lucky means we need over $3000 for that trifecta of glass goodness, then I guess so.

More lucky would mean that we can AFFORD to pay over $3000 for that trifecta.

it is "lucky" to have all the options that there are for those focal lengths is more like it. Each of those focal lengths has multiple options available in Olympus or Panasonic badges, and a few others too. That is lucky.

I think the "lucky" in the article is about the choice of M43 gear.

-- hide signature --
Chi Pham
Chi Pham Senior Member • Posts: 1,163
Given the current price trends of new body and lens...

They're great releases of superb optics and features, but I can't afford it and feel unlucky.

Best to you if you can.

-- hide signature --

Peace

Chi Pham's gear list:Chi Pham's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +8 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,902
The philosophy of luck

Lucky and having luck can get quite philosphical in meaning and is not gamblers-luck but more associated to actual happiness as opposed to longing for happiness.

Sometimes it is grounded in “lucky to be alive” just as wishing for the unobtainable level of good fortune and endless toys seems to be foolish no matter how wealthy one might be.  Wishing and achieving what you can reasonably expect to obtain by ones own efforts seems more practical.  Such of those with that philosophical turn of mind may routinely think that they are very lucky indeed.

The OP obviously has plenty of of the very necessary opinionated ideas on life in general which makes his article interesting if not precise.  I think music is a personal taste and famous singers do not get famous unless they are well regarded by quite a lot of people even if I don’t like their music personally, but there is no fault to be had in having one’s opinion. This is simply not always followed in photographic gear forums where some think that as they like the product they bought half way to death then every one else must like it also.

I guess I also must be guilty as charged, but then we almost all must be opinionated to post to the wide world audience

That others can be sympathetic and put up with the product ravings of the near possessed is one of the better traits of human nature.

In this case I am sure that the creme de la creme of Olympus gear is very good indeed and I have had cause to appreciate it but his sideways swipe at Panasonic lenses by wondering why Leica lend their name to some of them is a little over opinionated, even partisan, and perhaps uncalled for.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

OzRay
OzRay Forum Pro • Posts: 19,068

I read that this morning and tried to comment, but the form had the response buttons greyed out.

I disagree with his implied comment that m4/3 is just for amateurs and hobbyists.

-- hide signature --

Thoughts, Musings, Ideas and Images from South Gippsland
https://australianimage.com.au

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,902

OzRay wrote:

I read that this morning and tried to comment, but the form had the response buttons greyed out.

I disagree with his implied comment that m4/3 is just for amateurs and hobbyists.

I read his blog Ray, but he is even more opinionated than I am  ...

But people with opinions are usually more interesting than those who have no opinions and insist upon talking about them

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Aberaeron Veteran Member • Posts: 7,633
Bokeh? What bokeh?

The picture of the lady has a caption about bokeh. I only see an out of focus background. No bokeh.

Do I need to go to Specsavers? [an optician chain store]

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7 III +23 more
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 4,781

NCV wrote:

It is the current post on TOP one of the better photo blogs, and about the only one I bother to follow.

Read that sight regularly.  i guess I'm not lucky as I can't afford even one of those lenses.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 1,600

Agreed. Myself, I had to stop reading his blog ages ago, he is way too wrong, way too often.

Edit: Although...He's pretty honest and thats a quality to value, IMO. I should restate the above to say, I stopped reading his blog because I found his opinions quite annoying/off putting.

Jan

-- hide signature --

"In my opinion to search means nothing in painting. To find is the thing."
"We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth, at least the truth that is given us to understand. The artist must know the manner whereby to convince others of the truthfulness of his [sic] lies."
-Picasso

Jan Chelminski's gear list:Jan Chelminski's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD +4 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 39,877
No - it’s the Fuji people. No sony. No canon. No....

NCV wrote:

Why this stupid brand/Mount  territorialism is supposed to describe the group in any atttibute that simply bought with cash or credit card a particular photographic tool?

The luckiest is the group that bought what they use for their needs and wants- and are happy  - don’t need this constant pats in the back

Just  just my two cents of course

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

ijm5012 Senior Member • Posts: 1,889
Re: Bokeh? What bokeh?

Aberaeron wrote:

The picture of the lady has a caption about bokeh. I only see an out of focus background. No bokeh.

Do I need to go to Specsavers? [an optician chain store]

Errmm... you do know what bokeh is, right? From Google: "the visual quality of the out-of-focus areas of a photographic image, especially as rendered by a particular lens."

Bokeh is not a quantifiable figure, unlike depth of field. Bokeh is an adjective used to describe the quality of the out-of-focus rendering. So you can have creamy/smooth bokeh, but you can't have a lot of bokeh, as "a lot of" is not an adjective describing the quality of the out-of-focus areas of the image.

And yes, the f/1.2 PRO primes are designed with bokeh in mind, as they deliver a much smoother bokeh than lenses like the Voigtlander Nokton lenses.

ijm5012's gear list:ijm5012's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +6 more
Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 1,600
Re: No - it’s the Fuji people. No sony. No canon. No....

I don't know...I think the 'pats on the back' types (as you call them, not my words), are less of an issue here, compared to the 'troll' types (those are my words).

Jan

-- hide signature --

"In my opinion to search means nothing in painting. To find is the thing."
"We all know that Art is not truth. Art is a lie that makes us realize truth, at least the truth that is given us to understand. The artist must know the manner whereby to convince others of the truthfulness of his [sic] lies."
-Picasso

Jan Chelminski's gear list:Jan Chelminski's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads