Why do you need another crippled Pentax APS-C flagship?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Greyser Veteran Member • Posts: 5,598
Why do you need another crippled Pentax APS-C flagship?

There are many talks around new Pentax APS-C flagship. There is even recent thread, which is based on PF January 2017 outdated post, going on. But, seriously, can you answer me why do you need it?

To me as a system Pentax has three major problems:

• well known AF issues (ancient screw drive, lousy target acquisition, AF inconsistency, not sufficient tracking, noise, excessive lens hunting, and so on)
  • lack of modern fast lenses
  • lack of third party lens support.

Hundreds of other complaints to satisfy everybody’s everyday needs are less systematic, I think. When we say that K-1 is a perfect landscape camera, or that 24MP K-3 sensor is leading in the class, while both cameras are inferior to major competitors in fast pacing action shooting, we cheat ourselves. Both 7D II and D500 have only 20MP sensors. However, they better suited for everyone’s needs: macros, landscape, wild life and sports all at once. Yes, they have their own issues; who does not? But designers of both cameras did not want to impress the world, delivering most MP packed sensor, best of the best high ISO performance (actually both cameras are good in this department), or unique sensor shift based AA-filter, which nobody is going to use. No, they had more practical reasoning to carefully balance FPS, file size, writing speed, buffer, etc. and build solid all-in-one performer. Yes, Pentax bodies are cheaper. However, if one is forced to buy two cheaper bodies: one better suited for landscapes and another for fast action shooting instead of one probably less elegant all-in-one competitor’s camera, the total price would be at least 50% higher. And Pentax branded lenses are not cheap at all; nowadays it is quite opposite actually.

Let’s be clear. Highly anticipated new Pentax APS-C flagship will not solve AF problem. We all know that. It is too complex. Pentax lost momentum when came out with faulty SDM drive and never recovered from it. Now they need years and tons of money to refine new DC, PLM, etc. motors, redesign lenses, develop and implement new tracking algorithms, etc. Simply put they are unable to build not crippled all-in-one APS-C flagship in the near future. What they do instead? They play marketing games. KP is similarly crippled, but is a great fun camera. However, it is not a flagship. You want a competitor to D500 and 7DII? Ok, they probably are working on it. You'll never know. Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best, that’s all. And all these highest MP sensors, sensor shift based acrobatics, ability to AF in the dark with no reliable AF on a moving subject in a day time are simply clever diversions. They do what they can to keep the brand afloat.

So, why so many people still crying for a new flagship, if it is going to be crippled anyway?

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Nikon D500 Pentax K-1
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Nikon D500 Pentax K-1 Pentax K-3 Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 24,825
Re: Why do you need another crippled Pentax APS-C flagship?

No problem here with Pentax Greyser.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +12 more
OP Greyser Veteran Member • Posts: 5,598

Good. I'm heavily invested in it too and may buy another lens or two for K-1.

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Nikon D500 Pentax K-1
Ian Stuart Forsyth
Ian Stuart Forsyth Veteran Member • Posts: 3,350

Greyser wrote:

There are many talks around new Pentax APS-C flagship. There is even recent thread, which is based on PF January 2017 outdated post, going on. But, seriously, can you answer me why do you need it?

To me as a system Pentax has three major problems:

• well known AF issues (ancient screw drive, lousy target acquisition, AF inconsistency, not sufficient tracking, noise, excessive lens hunting, and so on)
  • lack of modern fast lenses
  • lack of third party lens support.

Hundreds of other complaints to satisfy everybody’s everyday needs are less systematic, I think. When we say that K-1 is a perfect landscape camera, or that 24MP K-3 sensor is leading in the class, while both cameras are inferior to major competitors in fast pacing action shooting, we cheat ourselves. Both 7D II and D500 have only 20MP sensors. However, they better suited for everyone’s needs: macros, landscape, wild life and sports all at once. Yes, they have their own issues; who does not? But designers of both cameras did not want to impress the world, delivering most MP packed sensor, best of the best high ISO performance (actually both cameras are good in this department), or unique sensor shift based AA-filter, which nobody is going to use. No, they had more practical reasoning to carefully balance FPS, file size, writing speed, buffer, etc. and build solid all-in-one performer. Yes, Pentax bodies are cheaper. However, if one is forced to buy two cheaper bodies: one better suited for landscapes and another for fast action shooting instead of one probably less elegant all-in-one competitor’s camera, the total price would be at least 50% higher.

There is also the small increment in AF performance that coaxed pentax users into upgrading to the next flagship body, this in its self cost more than buying a single camera that already has the AF performance and only needed upgrading when the camera has reached its life expectancy.

There is also the cost of having to buy more expensive lenses with pentax to see a modest improvement in AF performance whereas one only needed to buy a slower cheaper lens for Nikon or canon and see a larger gain in AF performance over pentax.

And Pentax branded lenses are not cheap at all; nowadays it is quite opposite actually.

Let’s be clear. Highly anticipated new Pentax APS-C flagship will not solve AF problem. We all know that. It is too complex. Pentax lost momentum when came out with faulty SDM drive and never recovered from it. Now they need years and tons of money to refine new DC, PLM, etc. motors, redesign lenses, develop and implement new tracking algorithms, etc. Simply put they are unable to build not crippled all-in-one APS-C flagship in the near future. What they do instead? They play marketing games. KP is similarly crippled, but is a great fun camera. However, it is not a flagship. You want a competitor to D500 and 7DII? Ok, they probably are working on it. You'll never know. Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best, that’s all. And all these highest MP sensors, sensor shift based acrobatics, ability to AF in the dark with no reliable AF on a moving subject in a day time are simply clever diversions. They do what they can to keep the brand afloat.

So, why so many people still crying for a new flagship, if it is going to be crippled anyway?

Hope ?

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 +24 more
AlbertSiegel
AlbertSiegel Contributing Member • Posts: 571

I've tried out pretty much every system out there at one point or another. They all have their good good and bad points. For my needs as a full-time media professional, I have chosen Pentax products as they offer the best mix of compromise for my needs.

Indeed the AF on the flagship models of other brands have an advantage for tracking, but I find the tracking on my PENTAX gear to be good enough for my needs. I honestly don't feel that I'm lacking in the performance department as it has never really let me down.

When it comes to just about everything else other than tracking, I honestly see little difference in real-life situations between any and all brands right now.  Most of the minimal speed differences seem to be related to lens motor design. Yes, some are faster than others, but is that really noticeable unless you like testing from minimum to infinity like a racing game? In normal situations, once you are in the general focus area, I cannot see any practical difference in focus acquisition speed between anything I've tested.

As for AF noise on screwdrive systems, the noise honestly does not bother me. I understand that it can be unpleasant for other people or even problematic for some shooting situations, but for me personally (and many others I suspect), the AF noise is not a major issue. Would quieter be better? Sure it would. Is it a deal-breaker for me? Not at all.

I used to primarily shoot with Canon 1D series cameras plus fast L series lenses, and yes they were fantastic, but the size and weight were always uncomfortable for me. I looked into pretty much every option out there. I gave mirrorless a good try, but I just cannot use an EFV camera as they cause me great discomfort and eye strain.  I decided that only an OFV camera can be an option, thus limiting my choices to Canon, Nikon and PENTAX.

Now with the goal of reducing weight and size and only the three above brands, I had to look into the rest of the system. No doubt that Canon and Nikon tower over PENTAX in a current lens lineup, but just because they offer something does not mean I actually need it.
With the goal of a smaller body, the top-end Canon and Nikons were out. The choices were between the smaller full-frame or APSC bodies and lenses that match. If I were to keep in the full-frame camp, then only the body would slightly shrink. This would not solve my issue, so I decided to go with APSC. I usually stop down anyway and prefer more DOF in my photos, so this was an easy decision.

Looking at lenses, it was no contest.  PENTAX by far has the best APSC dedicated lens lineup. I was able to find a similar kit to my Canon at a much smaller weight and size.  The AF performance was good enough.  The ergonomics were a huge improvement.  Best of all, it fits my needs perfectly.

Size and weight are not the only advantage for me. I was very pleased with the increase in image quality form my PENTAX. The jump in dynamic range was obvious. The rendering of the lenses was more my taste. The sensor shift was a game-changer for some of my shoots. Other than the AF, which was good enough, it really was a fantastic upgrade in just about every other area.

Do I think that PENTAX is the best choice out there?  Well, for me at least it is. But cameras are like everything else in life. What's great for me is sure to be junk to someone else.

Those "clever diversions" that you dismiss are the biggest selling points for me. Although the KP is a fantastic camera and really up there in features and quality, it is not nor does Ricoh claim it to be their flagship APSC camera. It's a side model in their "style" line that they do every now and then. The APSC flagship to replace the K3-II will come eventually, but at the moment it's hard to judge a product that officially does not exist.

AlbertSiegel's gear list:AlbertSiegel's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax Q10 Pentax K-S2 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM +18 more
robbo d Senior Member • Posts: 2,689
Well said....

To expand on a few area's that you talk about:

Pentax image quality from aps-c is actually more than enough for 90% of needs.

As I have recently noted, that 16mp K5iis image quality with a nice piece of glass blown up to A1 from a slightly cropped image was excellent. ... so 16 mp was excellent in all reality for MOST peoples needs.

The DR of that sensor is still competitive.

The lens system of Pentax aps-c is one of the best.

Screw drive is a little noisy, but more so to the user, not so much the nearby crowd at a wedding etc.

I had a sub contractor using 5D mk 2 & 3 with L lenses supply jpegs from a wedding ..... and well quite frankly the files where no better than my Pentax ones if in fact even as good.

AF-C and absolute lens speed is a well known area where Pentax is below the opposition but seldom in real use for 90% of users a major stumbling block to obtaining decent keepers, while I do understand people wanting Nikon for sports and BIF use if they are looking at investing in a system.

The size, value for $$ and quality of Pentax products for obtaining most shots makes for a very good argument.

Solidly well built gear that can stand weather and a knock for a pro or photo journalist leaves me thinking that a K5/K3 makes a huge amount of sense with a WR lens in portability.

There is a whole lot made of small differences, which for some people means more or less in real terms.

As a "part time pro" wedding shooter etc ..... would I choose Pentax from scratch ? not sure now ....... but as I was heavily invested and despite a few of my own short comings, I am now getting better and better results.

The cost of my gear and the results means that i'm getting excellent value for money and clients never ask if I shoot with a 1Dx ..... etc

walgarch Regular Member • Posts: 323

I'm genuinely curious, how much would you be willing to pay for a camera like that? And would you buy one if it came out?

-- hide signature --

Will
=============================
http://www.flickr.com/photos/walgarch

walgarch's gear list:walgarch's gear list
Pentax K-1 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Pentax FA 15-30mm F2.8 Fujifilm X100S +9 more
Zenten4 Regular Member • Posts: 429

Till today, the only camera from Pentax that I still consider as its Flagship is the K5IIS (and not forgetting also the 645D). All other cameras from then on (including the K1), are just simply hyped up and do not really offer any significant gains or improvements. Talking about AF and image quality here.

Don't get me wrong because I just about owned and used every DSLR released by Pentax

robbo d Senior Member • Posts: 2,689

..... okay ??

The K5iis happens to be one of my favourite's

but the K3/K3ii were pretty much a tweaked version of the K5iis with a 24mp sensor and therefore are the current aps-c flagship.

The K1 is a totally different league .... FF and therefore the present Flagship in that area.

Walt_A Senior Member • Posts: 1,969

Wow.

I'm not crying out for one. These days I use a Canon 7D and a 150-600 for my wildlife, olympus E-M10 and 60mm macro for close macros and Pentax K-3 with sigma 180mm macro for more difficult to get at insects and a 300 F4 or 4.5 for light travelling. However logic says it would it be good to have just one system. I don't mind who makes it, however I started with Pentax many years ago so have a good selection of lenses. I think the K-3 has a better sensor than olympus/nikon/canon for what I want. I'm disappointed that Canon and Nikon dropped down to 20/21mp so I keep looking at Canon 80D/M5 or Nikon 7200 because they have 24mp, trouble is Canon 80D has an AA filter and Nikon is a step back for Live view AF (even the D7500/D500), which I love on my Olympus macros.

On that basis I hope that the next Pentax flagship will have much improved AF, great live view using on sensor phase detect, flip out screen along with a decent size and normal things like good fps and buffer.

I have experience with some reasonably quick af lenses on Canon over the years and some slower af versions. Even the slower versions do pretty good with wildlife so I'm certain that fast AF lenses are not the total answer to good af for what I do. Good af from the camera is critical. I know of people who were shooting Nikon SLR's with screw drive lenses who said that the top end bodies had superb AF. So I believe that my FA*300 4.5 could perform well with a better body and I'm sure even my slow DA*300 could improve to quite usable.

Trouble is I've lost faith with Pentax, I don't think the above will happen, especially the af even though I'm sure they will say it has. I suspect I will eventually move over to another system that has compromises for what I do but not as many as Pentax. However I can hope for a top end APS-C camera can't I?

awaldram
awaldram Forum Pro • Posts: 13,237

Well  for me

Brought into Pentax 2006 k10d only way I could afford a water resistant body and lens system.

Despite many tribulations normally around sensor performance till the k5

The k5 fitted all my needs except the AF was to rough so very difficult to hold a target without it zipping off on one. :d

The k3 has tamed this to some degree

My shooting style the AF performance in AF-c is satisfactory and I'm heavily invested in Pentax glass.

Given my glass investment is at least 10:1 to a body price it unlikely I'd change brand unless forced.

And incremental upgrade is fine to me even a K3 with kp processing/sensor would be OK.

The k-1 is where I get confused - besides a legacy lens donor body I don't see any mileage in it as a future product line.

It wouldn't surprise me if the k-1 was the 1 and only FF Ricoh ever make, as it a one trick pony as far as sales goes and that can only be done once every 5-10 years.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +17 more
Conjure
Conjure Regular Member • Posts: 498

When I entered the DSLR-Market (November 2011), I decided that APS-C is the wright balance between size and image quality for me.

I had to chose between Pentax K-5 and Nikon D7000
I planned to buy 2 zoom lenses one macro lens (and maybe one portrait lens)

These informations affectet my decision:

1. lenstip about Pentax: "Pentax is one of few companies which treats the smaller [APS-C] sensor seriously."
  2. lenstip about FA*77mm: "Although its price is higher than the price of Canon and Nikon lenses with similar parameters, it has one serious advantage – a significantly better performance near the maximum relative aperture"
  3. lenstip about DFA 100 WR macro: "how small the Pentax smc D FA 100 mm f/2.8 Macro WR really is"
  4. photozone about DA*60-250: "While not formally tested the high quality of the bokeh (out-of-focus blur) seems to be a differentiator compared to similar lenses"
  5. slrgear about DA*60-250: "Optically, the Pentax 60-250mm ƒ/4 is a winner"

So I startet with K5 + DA 17-70 + DA*60-250 + DFA 100 WR macro (and some months later my first limited lens FA*77mm)

Through the years I bought more and more lenses.

I bought the K-01+DA21 as a backup camera and a System which fits in a jacket pocket.

Sometimes I use both cameras when the environment is too dirty to change lenses.

My smallest setup K-3II + 15mm+20-40mm+77mm fits in a tiny Wotancraft bag 
There still is no comparable Canon/Nikon setup.

I updated to K-3 + OPS1 and I was very happy
I updated to K-3II and I was very happy
I am looking forward for the next "crippled Pentax APS-C flagship"

And I would also buy an update for the K-01

cheers
Anton

Chris Mak Senior Member • Posts: 2,121

I have felt more or less from the beginning, that the K3 was pretty much the end of upgrading possibilities for Pentax, given their lens selection and lack of interest in video. The 24mp sensor was the main reason for many upgraders no doubt, coming from the K5IIs. There is still a (sort off) dream Apsc flagship that I would buy, but I Honestly don't know if such a body would be a wise investment for the majority of Pentax shooters. Moreover, my hopes for Pentax releasing such a body, are not very high.

-28mp BSI sensor

-5-axis SR

-Totally revised AF module with around 50 AF points

-State of the art processor with matching new programming that would do away with all the K3 quirks and hick-ups and lags and fits of unresponsiveness.

-Much improved (over the K3) high iso and color depth (should be ok with BSI sensor)

-biggest, brightest viewfinder in Apsc

I would not mind paying more than average for such a Pentax Apsc body.

In short though: make the "flagship" a trúe flagship, and not a mediocre body in disguise with large buffer etc.... The processor and programming of the K3 are not of this age, when you consider the large improvements in that area (look at the Sony A9 or A7RIII or closer at home: the Nikon D500). These bodies are known to be highly responsive, whereas my K3 needs pampering and wake up time, and it occasionally crashes, locks up, and flaps its mirror.

A few years ago I was ok with the K3, as I was with my older computer. But times change, and so do standards. If Pentax is to make a "flagship" camera, let them make a 2000, - true flagship, and not another K3 like camera. I would buy such a state of the art camera for my DA560 to give Pentax a last go. The DA560 would not utilize its full capabilities, for that new lenses with fast eg. ringtype motors are needed, but the awfull downside of an underspecced camera, is a performance and reliabilty/consistency drop. I am sure that, even though the Apsc lenses are severely outdated for the most part, and/or hampered with mediocre technology, that a proper flagship body would get a lot more out of my DA560 than the buggy K3.

Such a high specced body would have some obligations to match though: new lenses or lens refreshes to get Pentax into the present age, with cameras like the Nikon D500, Sony A9 and Olympus EM1 mkII floating around, that can make use of a vast or fast growing modern lens collection. But no, if the new "flagship" is going to be more of the same old, than I would say to Pentax: stick with your KP, don't waste your time, and I would switch to Nikon.

Chris

Chris Mak's gear list:Chris Mak's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Sony Alpha a7R II Pentax HD DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW HD Pentax DA AF 1.4X AW Rear Converter Zeiss Loxia 35 +2 more
petreluk Senior Member • Posts: 1,269

It's a mistake to start calling anything a flagship, imho. It's a rather old-fashioned idea which just raises false expectations. The best question is whether the item will do the job. There's really no prospect of Pentax releasing a sports/wildlife camera like the D7500 or Canon equivalent.

OTOH, Pentax could release a rugged, WR "land camera" for landscape, macro, high-res images and so forth that is just as good as anything Nikon or Canon could offer at the same level, provided one accepts that it wouldn't be an AF genius machine with a vast selection of good modern lenses. But will it do the job? If so, no problems.

The KP does already cover a fair bit of that, I think. The KP may not have all the options but then if it did it would probably be priced too highly for many who'd otherwise buy it. Without the AF, video, third-party support or big modern lens collection to compare with the top brands, there is a limit to how much Pentax can really ask for its kit.

The issue with Ricoh has always been the same: whether they are making enough effort in the "Why buy Pentax?" department to draw in new users to replace existing users dropping out for one reason or another.

-- hide signature --
Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 5,021
Why do we need another troll?

OK that's a little harsh, but that's what this feels like. You're making a lot of assumptions about a camera that doesn't exist yet!

I think if Pentax released a new fast focusing camera, and produced new versions of the 16-50 and 50-135 with updated motors at the same time, people would be over the moon. This would be within their capability, no matter how unlikely you believe it to be.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
TomWret
TomWret Senior Member • Posts: 2,929

Mr. Greyser, I'm happy with my K-3ll and lens'...sometimes "the good out weights the not so good".

Tom W(ret)

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault.
http://photographybythomaswhitehurst.zenfolio.com

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 WR Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +4 more
georgehakim
georgehakim Regular Member • Posts: 220

AlbertSiegel wrote:

I used to primarily shoot with Canon 1D series cameras plus fast L series lenses, and yes they were fantastic, but the size and weight were always uncomfortable for me. I looked into pretty much every option out there. I gave mirrorless a good try, but I just cannot use an EFV camera as they cause me great discomfort and eye strain. I decided that only an OFV camera can be an option, thus limiting my choices to Canon, Nikon and PENTAX.

I fully agree with you. I also used every brand for work over the past 30 years, and used Canon 5D until 6 years ago then the weight of the camera and lenses was too much for me. Also tried mirrorless cameras but didn't like their performance in few situations. Then came across Pentax and it worked perfectly for me. I don't shoot fast action sport, but I shoot a lot of bird and BIF and have no problem using Pentax. I am mainly travel and street photographer (and some nature photography) and Pentax camera and lens size and weight are perfect for that. Not to mention the build quality and weather seal, which are needed for this type of photography.

There is no perfect camera for all possible situations, and no one will likely shoot all those situations either.

-- hide signature --

~George

georgehakim's gear list:georgehakim's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax KP Sony a7 III Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +19 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 38,503

Skill negates the need for certain modern improvements, however for many skill is an outdated and obsolete concept. Those with skill can use "crippled" Pentax cameras effectively, those who can't be bothered developing skill require a camera that does all the work for them. If you're willing to do the work and put the effort in you'll truly be rewarding yourself, if you don't you'll be rewarding other camera brands that cater to the lazy. Despite all that we all want improvements, for some its want, for others its desperate need because they lack the skill to effectively use what already exists.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 5,021

georgehakim wrote:

AlbertSiegel wrote:

I used to primarily shoot with Canon 1D series cameras plus fast L series lenses, and yes they were fantastic, but the size and weight were always uncomfortable for me. I looked into pretty much every option out there. I gave mirrorless a good try, but I just cannot use an EFV camera as they cause me great discomfort and eye strain. I decided that only an OFV camera can be an option, thus limiting my choices to Canon, Nikon and PENTAX.

I fully agree with you. I also used every brand for work over the past 30 years, and used Canon 5D until 6 years ago then the weight of the camera and lenses was too much for me. Also tried mirrorless cameras but didn't like their performance in few situations. Then came across Pentax and it worked perfectly for me. I don't shoot fast action sport, but I shoot a lot of bird and BIF and have no problem using Pentax. I am mainly travel and street photographer (and some nature photography) and Pentax camera and lens size and weight are perfect for that. Not to mention the build quality and weather seal, which are needed for this type of photography.

There is no perfect camera for all possible situations, and no one will likely shoot all those situations either.

This is why I hesitate to consider the K-1, even though it's clearly the flagship camera at the moment - I don't want/need a big camera. One of the things that impressed me about the *ist-DS that got me into Pentax was that it was compact.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
klavrack Contributing Member • Posts: 963

I agree with most of your gripes (though I think the AF one somewhat overstates any issues I've had), and am in fact switching over to Nikon, primarily for the sake of light weight and bird photography.  But there are some glaring weaknesses there that might lead those with other needs to prefer Pentax.  1.  No stabilized primes.  2.  Few APS-C weather-resistant combos (WR lenses are mostly FF glass).  3.  No focus peaking for macro. 4.  They push everyone into the heavy/pricey D500 by needlessly hobbling their lighter bodies.

The third issue alone has made me keep my K-3/Vivitar S1 105mm as a dedicated macro rig.

But I would agree that unless Ricoh shocks you and addresses AF-C and lens availability soon and dramatically, they will have poor long-term prospects.

klavrack's gear list:klavrack's gear list
Pentax K-3 Nikon D5600 Nikon D7500
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads