Sony A6000 Video Clicking Noise

Started Nov 13, 2017 | User reviews
Reddiance1 New Member • Posts: 1
Sony A6000 Video Clicking Noise

Purchased the Sony A6000 recently after reading positive reviews in this website and others. Since I was going to a wedding and hadn't yet tested taking videos with this camera, I decided to test it to see how it will come out. I didn't expect any problems as taking videos is pretty much straight forward.

So I tested taking videos with it by walking inside my house. It was pretty straight forward video with out-of-the-box settings. When I looked at it on my computer I noticed two BIG problems with it, that I consider pretty shocking considering this is a Sony product.

Issue #1: there's a loud clicking sound through the video. This is constant. I believe this could be the autofocus on the camera. I vaguely recall reading this in the Sony product documentation. But I have not seen this mentioned anywhere in the reviews. But when I search for it in Google there's quite a bit of hits on this, so I'm not the only one experiencing this. One solution that's recommended is to use an external mic. Great, I thought, I have a Rode mic, so I can use that.
Except there's one problem... there's no mic input in this camera. And the only way to put a mic there is to buy a mic from Sony (cheapest one costs $159 U.S.).

Issue #2: Parts of the video is showing jagged lines. In some parts is so bad that the video is basically useless.
Given these two major issues, the video function in the Sony A6000 is BASICALLY UN-USABLE and pretty much USELESS.

One huge reason why I chose this camera was because of the Sony brand and the positive reviews it had, including from DP Review. No other camera that I own, including a Nikon DSLR, has these big problems taking videos. How does Sony even release a product with two huge problems that basically makes it useless to use?

Would I return it for a refund? I'm not sure if I would since it's a great camera for taking pictures (and Bestbuy in Canada doesn't take camera returns, so I can't return it anyway). It's a shame that now I have to take a second camera with me just to take videos.

I'm EXTREMELY disappointed at DP Review for not even mentioning this. Or did you not notice it?

Sony a6000
24 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Feb 12, 2014
Reddiance1's score
Average community score
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
muvovum
muvovum Regular Member • Posts: 462
Re: Sony A6000 Video Clicking Noise

can you upload that video?

muvovum's gear list:muvovum's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads