Chip in QFN Package

Started Nov 11, 2017 | Discussions
mawyatt2002
mawyatt2002 Contributing Member • Posts: 502
Chip in QFN Package

Here's an old test chip (Direct Digital to Antenna chip) in a QFN package done in IBM 9HP (90nm SiGe BiCMOS). The WeMacro Controller, 4X Inf. 0.1NA lens, THK KR20 modified focus rail and Nikon 200mm F4 "Q" tube lens with D800E camera were used. Lighting came from 4 Adorama studio 300AC strobes with foam diffusers and subject was inside a white foam cup on base of a WeMacro Vertical Stand attached to a Ball Head with a pin glued to the QFN backside (removed in post).

A total of 157 images (50um steps) were collected at processed with Zerene.

Best,

Mike

DD2A Test Chip

Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sranang Boi Senior Member • Posts: 2,186
Re: Chip in QFN Package

That's a very technical picture. I am impressed with the results.

Sranang Boi's gear list:Sranang Boi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G90 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +1 more
mawyatt2002
OP mawyatt2002 Contributing Member • Posts: 502

Per a suggestion on another site, here's a Low Res GIF file I made which shows the chip and package rotating. This was created in Zerene and PS Timeline. View Original Size below for the animated version.

Processing done with Zerene per shown instructions on Zerene site with 9 section images. I used PS to render a Timeline View of such, after fiddling with things (1st time at this).

This worked eventually and I have a monster file (306MB) in PSD format. All of this took an enormous amount of work, Zerene ran forever (many hours) on the 9 sets of 157 stacked images with the original massive D800E TIFF files, but produced the results!! However I did save the 9 resultant images in JPEG to save some file space. Animated files in GIF format saved for Web were smaller than in PSD, so this is what I've used here.

After a bunch of editing in LR and PS, it's pretty neat to watch the perspective view change as the image rotates, you can even dive down into the QFN cavity.

Best,

Mike

Best,

Mike

mawyatt2002

I should mention this animated image was produced without changing the subject nor lens orientation, only the lens moved along the optical axis for the 157 images to be stacked with a focus rail. The stack was originally done to evaluate an inexpensive 4X objective lens and not render an animated result. The effects are created with the original images in 9 separate stacks in Zerene with a mathematically introduced different stacking angle for each of 9 stacks to create the perceived perspective change.

Best,

Mike

Sranang Boi Senior Member • Posts: 2,186

How long did it take you to do all that? My guess would be a couple of hundred man hours.

Sranang Boi's gear list:Sranang Boi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G90 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +1 more
mawyatt2002

Sranang Boi wrote:

How long did it take you to do all that? My guess would be a couple of hundred man hours.

It was a long time but not that long!! Probably more like 30~40 hours, but I have a studio setup for this type of work so that helps tremendously.

I've routinely done stacks of 400~600 and soon will be over 1000 in single sessions. I have a proprietary image that took 19 sessions of 220 36MP stacks, but used only 16 of those sessions. These were stitched together to render a final image with almost 19,000 by 13,000 pixels, soon I hope to get to 30,000 by 20,000 pixels.

MarkyLevy New Member • Posts: 1

mawyatt2002 wrote:

Here's an old test chip (Direct Digital to Antenna chip) in a QFN package done in IBM 9HP (90nm SiGe BiCMOS). The WeMacro Controller, 4X Inf. 0.1NA lens, THK KR20 modified focus rail and Nikon 200mm F4 "Q" tube lens with D800E camera were used. Lighting came from 4 Adorama studio 300AC strobes with foam diffusers and subject was inside a white foam cup on base of a WeMacro Vertical Stand attached to a Ball Head with a pin glued to the QFN backside (removed in post).

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike,

i have to say it is a beautiful pic, i was wondering whether you are offering it for sale

i work in a company which does IC packaging and i am intrested in using this pic in my website

Regards

Marky

mawyatt2002

MarkyLevy wrote:

mawyatt2002 wrote:

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike,

i have to say it is a beautiful pic, i was wondering whether you are offering it for sale

i work in a company which does IC packaging and i am intrested in using this pic in my website

Regards

Marky

Hi Marky,

Glad you like the image, and agree it does show the wire bonds, chip and QFN package nicely. I have been asked on numerous occasions about setting up a company to do this kind of imaging and such, and in the process on seriously considering this.

Are you interested in this specific image and/or having images created of your own chips/packages? What is your time frame?

BTW we should probably take this to PM.

Thanks for inquire,

Best,

-- hide signature --

Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads