My first D850 shot @ ISO 10,000

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Dougw133
Dougw133 Regular Member • Posts: 225
My first D850 shot @ ISO 10,000

Got the D850 today. Literally just got done adjusting a few menu items. I just changed the Auto ISO shutter speed to "Lower" because i typically have all VR lenses. A second later one of my resident moose walked through my property. It was dark, to the point It didn't even seem worth trying a shot. Over all I'd say not too bad considering it was dusk, overcast and snowing. Handheld with Nikon 200-500, Shutter 40, ISO 10,000. Straight pull no post. I didn't let my D750 go past 6400iso and hadn't yet set the limit on the D850.  Overall, take it for what it's worth. It's a real life test under crap conditions and hand held.

-- hide signature --

www.alaskanorthphotography.com

Dougw133's gear list:Dougw133's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon D750 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Nikon D750 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
vbuhay
vbuhay Veteran Member • Posts: 3,516
Re: My first D850 shot @ ISO 10,000

Dougw133 wrote:

Got the D850 today. Literally just got done adjusting a few menu items. I just changed the Auto ISO shutter speed to "Lower" because i typically have all VR lenses. A second later one of my resident moose walked through my property. It was dark, to the point It didn't even seem worth trying a shot. Over all I'd say not too bad considering it was dusk, overcast and snowing. Handheld with Nikon 200-500, Shutter 40, ISO 10,000. Straight pull no post. I didn't let my D750 go past 6400iso and hadn't yet set the limit on the D850. Overall, take it for what it's worth. It's a real life test under crap conditions and hand held.

Congratulations Doug! I see that you finally got yours. I have decided to keep mine, yes, you will see more amazing things from that camera like you have never seen or experienced before....Did you get you LR Upgraded too? D850's AF capability in low light situation is unprecedented. The Auto White balance is really good giving realistic flesh tones. I had to make some adjustment with my shooting techniques with moving subjects and or Handheld shots( you will need higher speeds than the D750 for the same  shooting conditions). I do not use VR typically. You will appreciate the tremendous amount of resolution and cropping capability...Post some Northern light and Milky way shots when you can. Congrats again!

vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D500 Nikon D750 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 +32 more
Wahrsager
Wahrsager Senior Member • Posts: 1,176

Dougw133 wrote:

Got the D850 today. Literally just got done adjusting a few menu items. I just changed the Auto ISO shutter speed to "Lower" because i typically have all VR lenses. A second later one of my resident moose walked through my property. It was dark, to the point It didn't even seem worth trying a shot. Over all I'd say not too bad considering it was dusk, overcast and snowing. Handheld with Nikon 200-500, Shutter 40, ISO 10,000. Straight pull no post. I didn't let my D750 go past 6400iso and hadn't yet set the limit on the D850. Overall, take it for what it's worth. It's a real life test under crap conditions and hand held.

Impressive.  I might have to pick me up one of these D850s!

Wahrsager's gear list:Wahrsager's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR +24 more
Dougw133
OP Dougw133 Regular Member • Posts: 225

Yes, very long story but got one.
Cloudy and snowing. A day earlier I would have gotten some Aurora shots. Maybe this weekend. I can't wait to see what it can do. The D750 did a phenomenal job, can't wait to see the D850 perform.

I do like the WB. It's very accurate for the conditions. The photo isn't anything to gauk at for sure but it was dark enough I couldn't see the second moose behind her until I say the images.

Nikon D850 Nikon D750 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Larry de March Regular Member • Posts: 463

It's not a shot that would have sent me running to the camera store to get one.  At lower ISOs I'm very happy with my D850, though.

FuhTeng
FuhTeng Contributing Member • Posts: 913

Neat, I like how moody it is. There's another post about the new DxO software and how good their Prime (or is it PRIME?) noise reduction is. Just a thought but a free trial of that with this photo could be even better with less of the noise speckles.

-- hide signature --

"Our young men should spend more time considering the composition and merit of their images, and less time with magnifying glasses counting how many bricks and shingles they can resolve." - from a Paris newspaper article on Daguerrotype photography, from 1841. (and https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/1839-and-the-frenzy-that-followed)

FuhTeng's gear list:FuhTeng's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6300 Nikon D850 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +11 more
blink667 Contributing Member • Posts: 642

Dougw133 wrote:

Hand held, 1/40th of a second at 500mm?  Very impressive and a beautiful shot.

Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,252
WB is out

Dougw133 wrote:

Cloudy and snowing. A day earlier I would have gotten some Aurora shots. Maybe this weekend. I can't wait to see what it can do. The D750 did a phenomenal job, can't wait to see the D850 perform.

I do like the WB. It's very accurate for the conditions.

Maybe it's just Lightroom, but I certainly don't like the WB in this example.  I understand it's dusk and heavy overcast, but still it's far too blue, and the excessive blue channel gain isn't helping the visible noise level.

-- hide signature --

Source credit: Prov 2:6
- Marianne

lickity split
lickity split Veteran Member • Posts: 5,006
Re: WB is out

Marianne Oelund wrote:

Dougw133 wrote:

Maybe it's just Lightroom, but I certainly don't like the WB in this example. I understand it's dusk and heavy overcast, but still it's far too blue, and the excessive blue channel gain isn't helping the visible noise level.

To me this looks about right.., OP hope you don't mind me tweaking...

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
clickclack Contributing Member • Posts: 692

Hope you don't mind too much, but wondered what it would look like without the tree trunk, as I really liked the photo. With still a bit of tree in front, the animal seems a little more hidden, which adds to the scene (and it feels less empty on the left)?

mgblack74 Regular Member • Posts: 416

lickity split wrote:

Marianne Oelund wrote:

Dougw133 wrote:

Maybe it's just Lightroom, but I certainly don't like the WB in this example. I understand it's dusk and heavy overcast, but still it's far too blue, and the excessive blue channel gain isn't helping the visible noise level.

To me this looks about right.., OP hope you don't mind me tweaking...

But this is not how it would have looked in person. How the OP captured it is true to life, blue channel gain and all.  It's an incredible image. Even with the WB compensation our brains do, the scene would have appeared very blue.

mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D850 Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +2 more
Dougw133

While it's not pleasing, it's exactly what it looked like outside to my eye. Not trying to defend the WB. I haven't always been impressed with auto WB even on my D750.

Dougw133

clickclack wrote:

Hope you don't mind too much, but wondered what it would look like without the tree trunk, as I really liked the photo. With still a bit of tree in front, the animal seems a little more hidden, which adds to the scene (and it feels less empty on the left)?

-- hide signature --

That's some strong work! I like it. You've got some talent in this department. Too bad it was 10,000 iso...

clickclack Contributing Member • Posts: 692

Thanks, but it was Photoshop that did the magic really!

(I used Edit / Fill selection and the clone stamp)

In the mean time, I also have a version with the tree trunk upright.

blink667 Contributing Member • Posts: 642

clickclack wrote:

Thanks, but it was Photoshop that did the magic really!

(I used Edit / Fill selection and the clone stamp)

In the mean time, I also have a version with the tree trunk upright.

Given the coloration and the fact that the animal almost blends with the rest of the elements in the photo, the tree trunk is useful in putting the focus on the moose(?).

Dougw133

Cat came back.

Dusk again, not snowing this time. Was able to do a shutter of 1/60 Handheld at 500mm F 5.6

First is ISO 2500, Second ISO 3600. Imported to LR, no adjustments and removed the default 25 sharp. Im happy. What a camera.

-- hide signature --

Antal I Kozma Senior Member • Posts: 2,571

Dougw133 wrote:

Got the D850 today. Literally just got done adjusting a few menu items. I just changed ..........................

Overall, take it for what it's worth. It's a real life test under crap conditions and hand held.

-- hide signature --

Hi,

Actually, I really like the image as is. Its mood, its colour. Not the regular "well lit and exposed" image but a moody one expressing the conditions of time and place where it was taken.

Thanks, AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +21 more
Tony Bonanno Contributing Member • Posts: 983

Marianne Oelund wrote:

Hi Doug,

I like the image composition and I think you did a great job capturing the subject.  And your new D850 and 200-500 came through with flying colors.. but speaking of colors, I agree with Marianne.  40 years of pro experience I've learned that you cannot trust your eye to "remember" how it really looked. I'm sure it was gray and blue, but it seems extreme in this case.  AWB works well, but it is "ballpark".  When I first saw your image, my first reaction was that the WB was off, so much so that it distracted me from the main subject.  BTW, I too love the combination of the D850 and the 200-500.  Anyway, just my thoughts..

All the Best,

Tony

-- hide signature --

Tony Bonanno Photography, Santa Fe, New Mexico
ASMP Professional Member, APA National Member
Instructor, Santa Fe Photographic Workshops
www.bonannophoto.com

Tony Bonanno's gear list:Tony Bonanno's gear list
Nikon D5 Leica M10 Nikon D850 +1 more
sssesq Senior Member • Posts: 2,004

Yes, the eye can fool you, but there are times when the recollection is spot on.  I recently shot the "Murderers" at a local HS and I tell U when the scene called for a power failure it was DARK, and Blue.  These are at ISO 40,000.  When I developed the dark scenes I had to pick between showing the scene as it was or how it would look with just a little more light.  I didn't know which to do, so I did some of each. 

sssesq's gear list:sssesq's gear list
Nikon D5 Panasonic GH5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Tony Bonanno Contributing Member • Posts: 983

Agree... stage lighting, power failure look.. dark and blue and the eye can pretty much visualize what it should look like.. :-). Nice work especially with the high ISO's !

-- hide signature --

Tony Bonanno Photography, Santa Fe, New Mexico
ASMP Professional Member, APA National Member
Instructor, Santa Fe Photographic Workshops
www.bonannophoto.com

Tony Bonanno's gear list:Tony Bonanno's gear list
Nikon D5 Leica M10 Nikon D850 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads