RX10 III/IV Macro with close up lens ...

Started Nov 9, 2017 | Discussions
OP BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,224
Miki -- 250D close-up lens on the RX10 III/IV

Miki Nemeth wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

250D achromatic close up filter to the super lens on the 600mm RX10 III/IV. In all cases, the distance from subject to front of lens is about 8 or 9 inches (200mm)

600 yields 23mm FOV 1:1.7
400 yields 26mm FOV 1:2
200 yields 44mm FOV 1:3
100 yields 60mm FOV 1:4

Hi Bert, I am very much interested, what formula have you used to calculate these values?

When you add a close-up lens to a camera which is focusing to infinity, then a 250D close-up lens gives M = f*D ( 0.88 = 0.22m * +4) 0.88 (1:1.13) magnification when the lens is fully zoomed (600mm on the lens barrel) at a working distance of 25 cm.

The real focal length of the RX10IV lens is 220 mm (0.22 m) and not 600 mm for a calculation like that.

So, a 8.8 mm vertical object is photographed as a 7.74 mm image, which would take 3210 pixels out of the total 3648 pixels.

Thanks, Miki

Hi Miki,

Pretty much ignore me on the magnifications. No formula was used. Also, I mistakenly used 18mm for the sensor long dimension (13.2mm apparently) Furthermore, I had myself convinced that 1:1 macro implied that the subject filled the frame (along the 13.2mm dimension -- maybe something I learned in my FF days ).
In my later post, I was able to fill the frame with 16mm subject so, in my mind that is about 1:(16/13.2) or 1:1.2. Close enough for me.

Cheers,
Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +5 more
kareka Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: Miki -- 250D close-up lens on the RX10 III/IV

BertIverson wrote:

Miki Nemeth wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

250D achromatic close up filter to the super lens on the 600mm RX10 III/IV. In all cases, the distance from subject to front of lens is about 8 or 9 inches (200mm)

Hi Bert, I am very much interested, what formula have you used to calculate these values?

When you add a close-up lens to a camera which is focusing to infinity, then a 250D close-up lens gives M = f*D ( 0.88 = 0.22m * +4) 0.88 (1:1.13) magnification when the lens is fully zoomed (600mm on the lens barrel) at a working distance of 25 cm.

The real focal length of the RX10IV lens is 220 mm (0.22 m) and not 600 mm for a calculation like that.

So, a 8.8 mm vertical object is photographed as a 7.74 mm image, which would take 3210 pixels out of the total 3648 pixels.

Thanks, Miki

Hi Miki,

Pretty much ignore me on the magnifications. No formula was used. Also, I mistakenly used 18mm for the sensor long dimension (13.2mm apparently) Furthermore, I had myself convinced that 1:1 macro implied that the subject filled the frame (along the 13.2mm dimension -- maybe something I learned in my FF days ).
In my later post, I was able to fill the frame with 16mm subject so, in my mind that is about 1:(16/13.2) or 1:1.2. Close enough for me.

Cheers,
Bert

Already ordered the closeup lens for my RX10 IV.

On my point of view with this addon we end up with more enlargement than a full frame with a 1:1 macro lens.

kareka's gear list:kareka's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Horacecoker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,573

kareka wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

Miki Nemeth wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

Thanks, Miki

Hi Miki,

Cheers,
Bert

On my point of view with this addon we end up with more enlargement than a full frame with a 1:1 macro lens.

I tried to order it today on Amazon UK but sold out of 72mm jobs.

David

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony a6600 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
AlwynS Veteran Member • Posts: 3,964

I have a Raynox DCR-150 macro lens which I used on my FZ1000. Because of the difference in filter size I just hand held it on the RX10 to see what it looks like. At the larger focal lengths I had no vignetting at all. So I am going to buy a 67 - 72 adapter and try it!

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
Eggiez
Eggiez Contributing Member • Posts: 548

AlwynS wrote:

I have a Raynox DCR-150 macro lens which I used on my FZ1000. Because of the difference in filter size I just hand held it on the RX10 to see what it looks like. At the larger focal lengths I had no vignetting at all. So I am going to buy a 67 - 72 adapter and try it!

I have the Raynox 250 and got the step down filter. I found the camera struggled to focus at the far end (greater than 400mm) with the Raynox on. I got the Polaroid 250d and find it works much better (albeit its very heavy).

Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,719

David,

Consider this Marumi Achromat 200 on UK eBay. I think the asking price is a bit high, compared to new,  but Best Offer is available.

Jonathan

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Fujifilm X-S10

Horacecoker wrote:

kareka wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

Miki Nemeth wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

Thanks, Miki

Hi Miki,

Cheers,
Bert

David

Sorry. I probably ordered the last one there.

Just arrived to my hands.

Luis

Sony RX10 IV

kareka wrote:

Horacecoker wrote:

kareka wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

Miki Nemeth wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

Thanks, Miki

Hi Miki,

Cheers,
Bert

David

Luis

Well, that's nice I must say. I thought I'd seen one available on Prime last time I looked. Should have bought it then. Not to worry they'll have some more in stock soon I hope. Post a few images when you get the hang of it. You could also tell me how it copes with other stuff that's not exactly macro. Interested to know if these things are just for macro or will the lens focus at any distance with the filter attached?

David

Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony a6600 Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS

Snapsh0t wrote:

David,

Consider this Marumi Achromat 200 on UK eBay. I think the asking price is a bit high, compared to new, but Best Offer is available.

Jonathan

Thanks for that Johnathan, but I've set my heart on the Polaroid job, especially as it's cheaper.

David

Horacecoker wrote:

kareka wrote:

Horacecoker wrote:

kareka wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

Miki Nemeth wrote:

BertIverson wrote:

Thanks, Miki

Hi Miki,

Cheers,
Bert

David

Luis

Well, that's nice I must say. I thought I'd seen one available on Prime last time I looked. Should have bought it then. Not to worry they'll have some more in stock soon I hope. Post a few images when you get the hang of it. You could also tell me how it copes with other stuff that's not exactly macro. Interested to know if these things are just for macro or will the lens focus at any distance with the filter attached?

David

For the moment I can only confirm it's heavy

I will post some feedback as soon as I have the time to test it.

Luis

Sony RX10 IV
Eggiez

kareka wrote:

For the moment I can only confirm it's heavy

I will post some feedback as soon as I have the time to test it.

Luis

Its very heavy. I worry about the motor pushing the lens out, as it is putting a lot of weight on the front of the camera.

A few quick shots over the last couple of days.

Snapsh0t
Snapsh0t Senior Member • Posts: 2,719

Definitely just for macro. If I'm not getting this completely wrong, the maximum focussing distance will be 250mm, equal to the focal length of the additional lens.

Snapsh0t's gear list:Snapsh0t's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Fujifilm X-S10
Eggiez

Snapsh0t wrote:

Definitely just for macro. If I'm not getting this completely wrong, the maximum focussing distance will be 250mm, equal to the focal length of the additional lens.

The further you zoom, the further away from the subject you have to be. If you zoom to 600mm the area in focus is tiny...

Eggiez wrote:

Snapsh0t wrote:

The further you zoom, the further away from the subject you have to be. If you zoom to 600mm the area in focus is tiny...

My first test indicate that the focus distance doesn't vary much with zoom.

between 200mmm and 600mm it varies aproximatelly from 18.0cm to 20.5cm.

What I do is always rotate the focus ring manualy to the lowest it can go.

After that select the zoom I want by rotating manualy the zoom ring.

Then focus by moving the camera starting around 19cm. it's only a +-1cm max movement.

THIS WAS THE BEST BEFORE HAVING THE CLOSE UP LENS ON

Now with the new lens on:

Around 200mm zoom

Around 250mm. This is almost the same magnification as a FullFrame 1:1 (just 1mm off)

600mm. The maximum we can get but much better than a Full frame 1:1

Sony RX10 IV

Just a quick test with the camera flash without diffuser. Handheld.

We can see the short DF. No time for finding the perfect focus plane.

Luis

Sony RX10 IV
Murphster Regular Member • Posts: 129

Thank you for posting the informative photos Luis.

I just wanted to confirm, you have the Polaroid 250D?

Thanks

Murphster's gear list:Murphster's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Eggiez

kareka wrote:

Eggiez wrote:

Snapsh0t wrote:

Then focus by moving the camera starting around 19cm. it's only a +-1cm max movement.

Yes, it is only an additional few cm's away - apologies if it read differently.

Murphster wrote:

Thank you for posting the informative photos Luis.

I just wanted to confirm, you have the Polaroid 250D?

Thanks

Correct. Polaroid 250D.

Luis

Sony RX10 IV

Snapsh0t wrote:

Thanks for that.

David

kareka wrote:

Eggiez wrote:

Snapsh0t wrote:

THIS WAS THE BEST BEFORE HAVING THE CLOSE UP LENS ON

Now with the new lens on:

Around 200mm zoom

Around 250mm. This is almost the same magnification as a FullFrame 1:1 (just 1mm off)

600mm. The maximum we can get but much better than a Full frame 1:1

Thanks for doing this test. I's exactly what I wanted to see. Maximum magnification with the close-up lens off and magnification at different zoom settings with the close-up lens on. It excels with flat objects, that's for sure!

David

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads