A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

Started Nov 8, 2017 | Discussions
snerkler Forum Member • Posts: 59
Re: Old post but... Nikon D850 ..SURE not memory card issue?

Sjr99 wrote:

jarek leo wrote:

Initially I blamed the problem on cards. But as of now several people have tried this unit of D850 with various cards and lenses and not being told what problem I was experiencing. All of them started their opinions with something like: "This camera has some LCD blackout issue". Then they discovered it was not LCD issue The camera went to Nikon service for the third time and this time we documented the issues by shooting a video as they were happening, which was easy beause this camera keeps freezing all the time. We attached the video on a memory medium to the camera to avoid further denials from Nikon. We will see what happens.

Jarek

ImageAmateur wrote:

jarek leo wrote:

I was loaned a Nikon D850 for testing and have been experiencing intermittent problems with it. Sometimes it freezes after I take a picture - buttons are inoperative, AF does not work, I cannot view images or take new ones. The remedy is to move the main switch to "illuminate" position - then everything is back to normal. Let me add that this happens after green light indicating writing to card goes off. First I thought this was attributable to memory card as I used a SD card only. But after I put Lexar XQD 2.0 Professional 32GB 2933x 440MB/s card in and used it as the main card slot, the problem did not go away. Has anybody else experienced anything like that?

Jarek

6 month old post, but someone else reopened. For any experiencing this problem, are you sure that the if you are using Lexar XQD that may not be the issue?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57691045

I’ve been having the same issue with a blacked out lcd screen and no buttons working on the back of my D850. It hasn’t been happening very frequently, but frequent enough. And only now I have worked out what is causing it (in my instance anyway, there could be genuine faults with others). For me, I have the extra battery grip for the 9fps, the official Nikon grip. I have realised that sometimes I have been inadvertently pressing the shutter release halfway down on the battery grip with part of my palm for a period of time. this makes the lcd and back buttons inoperable until my palm comes off from partially pressing it down. I have now put the lock on the shutter button on the battery grip to stop me doing this. Could this be the cause with others having this problem.

Simon.

Not for me, it happened without the battery grip. Whilst talking about the battery grip what I have noticed is that when I first connect mine it doesn't recognise the battery in the grip. If I then take the battery out (with the grip still attached to the camera) and then re-insert the battery it then registers. This might of course be because I'm using ExPro batteries (Original Nikon grip though)

quisflis Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

SHese wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

SHese wrote:

1+

was not an issue in the past - doing 200k shots the year with various Nikon bodies since the D1x. This is the first time I experience a problem.

In your previous post you said no long freeze and only short freeze over water.

Without knowing the atmospheric conditions over the water or whether the camera had not finished writing to card it is not possible to say whether another camera might have performed in a similar way.

A "long shot" is strong magnetic fields and static can affect most camera bodies.

If you wear static creating clothing or use a static creating camera bag any static build up may not have discharged as easily through the base of a boat as when feet are in direct contact with the ground.

On water I constantly change bodies since I shoot with 2 D800's one D850 and one D3 all equipped with different lenses. Never any problems with the D3/D800 bodies but often short freezes with the 850 - so yes I dont know much about static build up, but from a Pro perspective I am just experiencing a change in performance. My recent shootings on water were pretty dry btw. I did salty shootings on the baltic etc constantly soaked in salty water and under spray all the time and havent had any troubles - so you can call it professional experience - there has never been a problem on water (given you use good Pelicases and sport shield rain covers for the lenses .

Overall its not a common problem - if it would we would discuss this here with thousands of pro users. So long, Sören

Hi Sören, how is it going so far with the D850? Have you only been using the  En El15a battery? How's you experience been? I had two shoots lately only using it with the en el 15a, and haven't had any freezing issue (yet). It might well have been the problem in my case that I have also been using it with the D810's batteries.

Cheers, Phil

quisflis's gear list:quisflis's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850
jarek leo
OP jarek leo Contributing Member • Posts: 967

The question not to me but ayway i have been only using EN-EL15a batteries so in my case the problem is not related to battery type but the camera does exhaust the batteries faster than I would expect.

Jarek

quisflis wrote:

Hi Sören, how is it going so far with the D850? Have you only been using the En El15a battery? How's you experience been? I had two shoots lately only using it with the en el 15a, and haven't had any freezing issue (yet). It might well have been the problem in my case that I have also been using it with the D810's batteries.

Cheers, Phil

jarek leo's gear list:jarek leo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D850
SHese Junior Member • Posts: 35

Hi Sören, how is it going so far with the D850? Have you only been using the En El15a battery? How's you experience been? I had two shoots lately only using it with the en el 15a, and haven't had any freezing issue (yet). It might well have been the problem in my case that I have also been using it with the D810's batteries.

Cheers, Phil

Hi Phil, not much difference with the last shooting only on EL15a batteries. Had several 1-3 seconds freeze issues (no AF, no shooting possible) . Even after changing lenses. So my 850 is right now on the way back to Nikon for a check/hopefully repair. The 850 might get a new logic board (first info from Nikon by phone after a longer in-depth discussion with a technician where I explained in detail all settings and the tests I did so far) but I am waiting for the analysis of the technician when he has the 850 in his hands.

Regards Sören

SHese's gear list:SHese's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 16,872

It was definitely a problem with the D300 - and eventually addressed with a firmware fix.

This has the same sort of feel - something overly sensitive in regard to battery current is my guess.   Seems the D500 had a host of issues with 3rd party batteries when it came out.  Maybe a pattern there.

Anyone have the freeze issue with a grip and El18 battery?

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
quisflis Junior Member • Posts: 42

jarek leo wrote:

The question not to me but ayway i have been only using EN-EL15a batteries so in my case the problem is not related to battery type but the camera does exhaust the batteries faster than I would expect.

Jarek

How many photos do you get out of one fully charged battery? Yesterday I was at 52% after about 2000 actuations... With the EN-EL15, the charge would have been at 10% or so...

quisflis's gear list:quisflis's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 20,333

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

It was definitely a problem with the D300 - and eventually addressed with a firmware fix.

Not with my D300, or any other owner I knew who owned a D300 

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +28 more

Just a quick update: my 850 is on its way back from Nikon. The technician indeed installed a new logic board . So basically implanting a new mainboard with all components. Must have been a bigger surgery.  So  I will be in testing mode when the DSLR is back - maybe at this weekend. But next bigger event shooting is in one week. I will let you know how it went.  Regards! Sören

Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
snerkler Forum Member • Posts: 59

SHese wrote:

Just a quick update: my 850 is on its way back from Nikon. The technician indeed installed a new logic board . So basically implanting a new mainboard with all components. Must have been a bigger surgery. So I will be in testing mode when the DSLR is back - maybe at this weekend. But next bigger event shooting is in one week. I will let you know how it went. Regards! Sören

Sorry I've lost track of who had what problem here. Did you have the freezing issue where you need to turn the camera off (and sometimes remove the battery) or just where if freezes for a few seconds and then functions normally?

jep fully freezes for 1-3 seconds and than works as usual.

Yes we have at least 3 different anomalies with the D850 imo:

1. AF stops somehow (may be a solution was to let the mount locking recalibrate

2. full freeze for 1-3 seconds, than works as usual

3. full freeze that has to be terminated with a reset (switching off/on).

mine was No.2.

Regards, Sören

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads