A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

Started Nov 8, 2017 | Discussions
SHese Junior Member • Posts: 35
Re: A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

quisflis wrote:

SHese wrote:

quisflis wrote:

SHese wrote:

Have to add another one D850 that freezes. I am shooting regatta races regularly and mine stopped while shooting to an SD card with a 400mm f2.8 in AF-C 3D. Nothing worked and the camera didnt focus anymore and didnt trigger a new exposure anymore (focus priority was off!). I had this twice on water but since than I cannot reproduce this effect right now bit it seemed to be linked to a phase of heavy shooting with lots of power drain from the 400mm (VR was off however). The 850 wasnt at the Buffer limit of the SD card but I had been shooting approx. 800 shots and filled a 32GB XQD Sony G card before that came up when I shot to the 32GB u10 SDHC sandisc card.

I waited some seconds but since the action went on I just switched the 850 off an on again. If I cannot nail the problem down I will clearly send the cam back to Nikon. It has to be reliable. So happy that I found this thread - seems as if this isnt happening often and so far I cannot see much other complains online.

Will do some more testing with the original setup to try to reproduce the effect. My case might be special since I am always working in a wet environment under lens coats, but this never happened with my D800 bodies.

(no troll: read here: www.soerenhese.de or http://soerenhese.de/sailpower-blog/?p=7462

Kind regards and Thxs for any further ideas! Sören Hese

Hey Sören, I wanted to share my experience in the last couple of weeks too. I have shot roughly 10.000 frames in all kinds of different situations and different setups with different lenses, cards, with and without flash. The freezing of the D850 is totally random and happened to me sometimes in a heavy continuous shoot as well as in a single frame slow shooting studio situation without filling up the buffer heavily.

Up until now, there is no typical moment, where I could identify the problem. It's been absolutely random. I will send my body to Nikon Munich, Germany again, but have little hope they will be able to do anything about it. But Nikon should hear about this issue, maybe they will actually realize that some bodies are affected by some kind of performance issue.

Hej quisflis:

one more question please

have you been on an EL15a or an EL15 when the freezing happened? Nikon Düsseldorf just confirmed that the EL15 cant cope with all shooting scenarios.

kind regards! Sören

To be honest, as I am sharing batteries between all bodies (D850, D810 and D500) it could well be the case that I was using the standard EL 15. I will test it out and only use it with the EL15a and see if there are any freezing issues.

Yes very good - lets keep an eye on that -  I just ordered new EL15a`s  and will also report back how this develops.   Sören

SHese's gear list:SHese's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more

just to keep the conversation here uptodate and since it fits here better than into the AF-only-freeze discussion I am posting here the update of the EL15a / D850-full-freeze  story:

@all: short update from last weekend shooting the new EL15a (on new Sony G XQD and Sony SDHX UHSII cards). After another 2.5k shots I can state that the full freeze did not reoccur but I had some short freezes - approx. 1-2 seconds while shooting on water with the 400mm f2.8 AFS VR lens. In these short moments no triggering and no AF possible (buffer not full at all, no focus prio, A Mode, on 12bit raw lossless, AF-C, cont. 7fps ). Enough to make nailing the moment impossible in these situations. I clearly lost some shots in these moments. The EN-EL15a however seem to make a difference (I had no full freeze). It also has nothing to do with my lenses. It also happened with my 70-200 f2.8 AFS VR. So imo its indeed random (not card related, not lens related, not 100% EN-EL15 related)) and since I need precise timing the D850 will go back to Nikon for a sys check. Will try to get another D850 as a loaner but this is likely difficult.

Dont get me wrong the D850 is a great instrument, but there are some (few) bodies out there that have a problem imo.

Regards everyone!

Sören

Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,919

The apparent randomness of the freeze points to an intermittent hardware problem or software bug. Both would require Nikon's attention.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
snerkler Forum Member • Posts: 59

AZBlue wrote:

The apparent randomness of the freeze points to an intermittent hardware problem or software bug. Both would require Nikon's attention.

That'll be a dead end, freezing is an issue that's now plagued Nikons for years.

briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 5,074

snerkler wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

That'll be a dead end, freezing is an issue that's now plagued Nikons for years.

I've owned (I think...) eleven Nikon DSLR's over the years, and my wife has owned four or five - none of them has ever "frozen".

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +20 more

briantilley wrote:

snerkler wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

I've owned (I think...) eleven Nikon DSLR's over the years, and my wife has owned four or five - none of them has ever "frozen".

My D750 did it, and it’s been documented on the D500, D3100, D5300, D7100 and several others. Nikon even acknowledged it with the D4 and D800. In fact it’s so ingrained into Nikon cameras that they even tell you how to troubleshoot it in the manual these days.

briantilley

snerkler wrote:

briantilley wrote:

snerkler wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

My D750 did it, and it’s been documented on the D500, D3100, D5300, D7100 and several others. Nikon even acknowledged it with the D4 and D800. In fact it’s so ingrained into Nikon cameras that they even tell you how to troubleshoot it in the manual these days.

Sorry, but that's just another "scare story".  Freezing is not a common issue for Nikon cameras.

Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +20 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 20,346

briantilley wrote:

Sorry, but that's just another "scare story". Freezing is not a common issue for Nikon cameras.

+1

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +28 more

1+

was not an issue in the past - doing 200k shots the year with various Nikon bodies since the D1x. This is the first time I experience a problem.

briantilley wrote:

snerkler wrote:

briantilley wrote:

snerkler wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

Sorry, but that's just another "scare story". Freezing is not a common issue for Nikon cameras.

No-one ever said that it was common, but it's a fact that Nikon cameras have suffered this for a while. I'm sure if Nikon new why it was so intermittent and doesn't seem to affect every camera they would be able to prevent it. If you think it's a scare story that Nikon even put it in the user manual then please consult the troubleshooting section (with the heading "the camera is on but does not respond") of the D750, D500 and D850 (it might be in others but these are the only Nikons that I've owned)

Leonard Shepherd

SHese wrote:

1+

was not an issue in the past - doing 200k shots the year with various Nikon bodies since the D1x. This is the first time I experience a problem.

In your previous post you said no long freeze and only short freeze over water.

Without knowing the atmospheric conditions over the water or whether the camera had not finished writing to card it is not possible to say whether another camera might have performed in a similar way.

A "long shot" is strong magnetic fields and static can affect most camera bodies.

If you wear static creating clothing or use a static creating camera bag any static build up may not have discharged as easily through the base of a boat as when feet are in direct contact with the ground.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +28 more
Leonard Shepherd

snerkler wrote:

No-one ever said that it was common, but it's a fact that Nikon cameras have suffered this for a while. I'm sure if Nikon new why it was so intermittent and doesn't seem to affect every camera they would be able to prevent it. If you think it's a scare story that Nikon even put it in the user manual then please consult the troubleshooting section (with the heading "the camera is on but does not respond") of the D750, D500 and D850 (it might be in others but these are the only Nikons that I've owned)

It used to be simpler when Nikon mentioned in camera manuals static build up can cause this type of issue,

Static can cause similar issues with other brands too.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

briantilley

snerkler wrote:

briantilley wrote:

snerkler wrote:

briantilley wrote:

snerkler wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

No-one ever said that it was common...

You yourself said it had "plagued Nikon for years" and was "ingrained into Nikon cameras". That sounds like you think it is common - or maybe you're just exaggerating to scare people?

...but it's a fact that Nikon cameras have suffered this for a while.

Let's undertake a little fun exercise. Do a Google search for "Canon 5d freezing" - you'll get over 1,000,000 hits, covering all 4 marks of the camera. Now do a search for "Nikon D800 freezing" and repeat with "..D810.." and "..D850.." Add the hits together and it will be under 500,000.

Now which brand has an ingrained problem...?

I'm sure if Nikon new why it was so intermittent and doesn't seem to affect every camera they would be able to prevent it. If you think it's a scare story that Nikon even put it in the user manual then please consult the troubleshooting section (with the heading "the camera is on but does not respond") of the D750, D500 and D850 (it might be in others but these are the only Nikons that I've owned)

So, you're not talking from extensive experience, then...?

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

SHese wrote:

1+

In your previous post you said no long freeze and only short freeze over water.

Without knowing the atmospheric conditions over the water or whether the camera had not finished writing to card it is not possible to say whether another camera might have performed in a similar way.

A "long shot" is strong magnetic fields and static can affect most camera bodies.

If you wear static creating clothing or use a static creating camera bag any static build up may not have discharged as easily through the base of a boat as when feet are in direct contact with the ground.

On water I constantly change bodies since I shoot with 2 D800's one D850 and one D3 all equipped with different lenses. Never any problems with the D3/D800 bodies but often short freezes with the 850 - so yes I dont know much about static build up, but from a Pro perspective I am just experiencing a change in performance. My recent shootings on water were pretty dry btw. I did salty shootings on the baltic etc constantly soaked in salty water and under spray all the time and havent had any troubles - so you can call it professional experience - there has never been a problem on water (given you use good Pelicases and sport shield rain covers for the lenses .

Overall its not a common problem - if it would we would discuss this here with thousands of pro users.  So long, Sören

ImageAmateur Veteran Member • Posts: 5,067

snerkler wrote:

briantilley wrote:

snerkler wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

I have have had and used a lot, thus far three Nikon DSLR's. Nikon D5000, D300 and D610 (D4 on way, not used yet).

Even though these have all been either purchased used or refurbished, which 'should' not be the prime examples of these cameras, I have never actually had a mechanical issue with any of them.

All of these were used hard for a weekend photographer, horse racing mostly. Which means high fps used a lot.

Never a serious freeze aka a freeze that I can remember.

The D610 is somewhere around 40k actuations now. Not even supposed to be a sports camera to cope with constant and regular fast shutter use.

One thing though, I have always used the best available memory cards, Sandisk Extreme Pro.

If the card is fast, memory back ups should be limited, at least I think so.

So, as with the others, I say that no, Nikon does not have an inherent freeze issue.

Some cameras may have had it, but not a generality.

You say that your D750 had it and 'it has been documented'. By whom and how has the record and analysis been done i.e. percentage of cameras per model, believed causes (direct mechanical or memory card issue etc), etc.

What I would ask to those whose cameras are freezing, are you using the best memory card available? Not only buffer is relevant, if the card cannot keep up, the camera will slow down. And the D850 has large files.

Good Luck

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

ImageAmateur's gear list:ImageAmateur's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Phase One Capture One Pro

briantilley wrote:

snerkler wrote:

briantilley wrote:

snerkler wrote:

briantilley wrote:

snerkler wrote:

AZBlue wrote:

No-one ever said that it was common...

You yourself said it had "plagued Nikon for years" and was "ingrained into Nikon cameras". That sounds like you think it is common - or maybe you're just exaggerating to scare people?

...but it's a fact that Nikon cameras have suffered this for a while.

Let's undertake a little fun exercise. Do a Google search for "Canon 5d freezing" - you'll get over 1,000,000 hits, covering all 4 marks of the camera. Now do a search for "Nikon D800 freezing" and repeat with "..D810.." and "..D850.." Add the hits together and it will be under 500,000.

Now which brand has an ingrained problem...?

I'm sure if Nikon new why it was so intermittent and doesn't seem to affect every camera they would be able to prevent it. If you think it's a scare story that Nikon even put it in the user manual then please consult the troubleshooting section (with the heading "the camera is on but does not respond") of the D750, D500 and D850 (it might be in others but these are the only Nikons that I've owned)

So, you're not talking from extensive experience, then...?

Why are you trying to pull my posts to shreds?  The fact is that Nikon cameras have been affected by freezing issues, that's all I've said. I never said that it affects every camera, I've never said I've owned every Nikon, nor have I said it's a common problem. As a result I do not believe that my posts are scare mongering, all I was trying to do was to point out that Nikons have suffered this problem for a while so I do not expect a fix for the D850, nothing more nothing less

I do know people with the other cameras that I have listed that have had freezing issues, and if you go onto forums such as TP you will also see other Nikons that have had this issue.

ImageAmateur Veteran Member • Posts: 5,067
Re: Old post but... Nikon D850 ..SURE not memory card issue?

jarek leo wrote:

I was loaned a Nikon D850 for testing and have been experiencing intermittent problems with it. Sometimes it freezes after I take a picture - buttons are inoperative, AF does not work, I cannot view images or take new ones. The remedy is to move the main switch to "illuminate" position - then everything is back to normal. Let me add that this happens after green light indicating writing to card goes off. First I thought this was attributable to memory card as I used a SD card only. But after I put Lexar XQD 2.0 Professional 32GB 2933x 440MB/s card in and used it as the main card slot, the problem did not go away. Has anybody else experienced anything like that?

Jarek

6 month old post, but someone else reopened. For any experiencing this problem, are you sure that the if you are using Lexar XQD that may not be the issue?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57691045

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

ImageAmateur's gear list:ImageAmateur's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Phase One Capture One Pro
jarek leo
OP jarek leo Contributing Member • Posts: 967

Initially I blamed the problem on cards. But as of now several people have tried this unit of D850 with various cards and lenses and not being told what problem I was experiencing. All of them started their opinions with something like: "This camera has some LCD blackout issue". Then they discovered it was not LCD issue  The camera went to Nikon service for the third time and this time we documented the issues by shooting  a video as they were happening, which was easy beause this camera keeps freezing all the time. We attached the video on a memory medium to the camera to avoid further denials from Nikon. We will see what happens.

Jarek

ImageAmateur wrote:

jarek leo wrote:

I was loaned a Nikon D850 for testing and have been experiencing intermittent problems with it. Sometimes it freezes after I take a picture - buttons are inoperative, AF does not work, I cannot view images or take new ones. The remedy is to move the main switch to "illuminate" position - then everything is back to normal. Let me add that this happens after green light indicating writing to card goes off. First I thought this was attributable to memory card as I used a SD card only. But after I put Lexar XQD 2.0 Professional 32GB 2933x 440MB/s card in and used it as the main card slot, the problem did not go away. Has anybody else experienced anything like that?

Jarek

6 month old post, but someone else reopened. For any experiencing this problem, are you sure that the if you are using Lexar XQD that may not be the issue?

jarek leo's gear list:jarek leo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D850
Sjr99 New Member • Posts: 1

jarek leo wrote:

Initially I blamed the problem on cards. But as of now several people have tried this unit of D850 with various cards and lenses and not being told what problem I was experiencing. All of them started their opinions with something like: "This camera has some LCD blackout issue". Then they discovered it was not LCD issue The camera went to Nikon service for the third time and this time we documented the issues by shooting a video as they were happening, which was easy beause this camera keeps freezing all the time. We attached the video on a memory medium to the camera to avoid further denials from Nikon. We will see what happens.

Jarek

ImageAmateur wrote:

jarek leo wrote:

Jarek

I’ve been having the same issue with a blacked out lcd screen and no buttons working on the back of my D850. It hasn’t been happening very frequently, but frequent enough. And only now I have worked out what is causing it (in my instance anyway, there could be genuine faults with others). For me, I have the extra battery grip for the 9fps, the official Nikon grip.  I have realised that sometimes I have been inadvertently pressing the shutter release halfway down on the battery grip with part of my palm for a period of time.  this makes the lcd and back buttons inoperable until my palm comes off from partially pressing it down. I have now put the lock on the shutter button on the battery grip to stop me doing this. Could this be the cause with others having this problem.

Simon.

Sjr99's gear list:Sjr99's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR
jarek leo
OP jarek leo Contributing Member • Posts: 967

Not in my case. I have not ever used a battery grip on the D850.

Sjr99 wrote

I’ve been having the same issue with a blacked out lcd screen and no buttons working on the back of my D850. It hasn’t been happening very frequently, but frequent enough. And only now I have worked out what is causing it (in my instance anyway, there could be genuine faults with others). For me, I have the extra battery grip for the 9fps, the official Nikon grip. I have realised that sometimes I have been inadvertently pressing the shutter release halfway down on the battery grip with part of my palm for a period of time. this makes the lcd and back buttons inoperable until my palm comes off from partially pressing it down. I have now put the lock on the shutter button on the battery grip to stop me doing this. Could this be the cause with others having this problem.

Simon.

jarek leo's gear list:jarek leo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D850
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads