A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 14,673
Re: A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

TOF guy wrote:

It is not debatable.

It is not debatable only if you ignore Nikon mentioning in the User Manual an occasional issue of the type.

Whether it only occurs on switching the camera off while sending to the buffer and then turn it back on before transfer is complete is something I have not investigated.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +17 more
snerkler Forum Member • Posts: 51

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

snerkler wrote:

Quick update, my D850 has frozen another 4 or 5 times today, each time for no more than 3 seconds I

This is what Nikon describe in the "Troubleshooting" section of the User Manual as"occasional".

I would treat 4 or 5 times in a single day as an indication the camera is likely to require a warranty repair.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than the equipment being used.

Thanks for the response. Where have you seen this in the troubleshooting as I have been through this and not seen anything like that. The only thing I've seen in the trouble shooting is that if it freezes and remains unresponsive then you should turn the camera off and remove the battery, which is the same remedy as the D750.

Page 324 of the user manual.

MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,506

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

It is not debatable.

It is not debatable only if you ignore Nikon mentioning in the User Manual an occasional issue of the type.

It is not debatable if you understand Nikon's statements in the User Manual.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Leonard Shepherd

TOF guy wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

You may have made this comment having overlooked that snerkler has extensively mis-quoted 

The Troubleshooting Guide starts with "If the camera fails to function as expected (which is what we are discussing) check the list of common problems ---".

The first common problem mentioned is "If the camera is on but does not respond (this is what we are discussing) wait for recording to end. If the problem persists turn the camera on and off. ---"

While there may be some other problem with a camera the only point I have made is that occasionally a camera may not respond when on.

I find this "occasionally" is after taking a shot, switching a camera off and then quickly back on. In a way this is similar to AF not responding in some bodies while power is being consumed to recharge the inbuilt flash.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +17 more

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

You may have made this comment having overlooked that snerkler has extensively mis-quoted

The Troubleshooting Guide starts with "If the camera fails to function as expected (which is what we are discussing) check the list of common problems ---".

The first common problem mentioned is "If the camera is on but does not respond (this is what we are discussing) wait for recording to end. If the problem persists turn the camera on and off. ---"

While there may be some other problem with a camera the only point I have made is that occasionally a camera may not respond when on.

I find this "occasionally" is after taking a shot, switching a camera off and then quickly back on. In a way this is similar to AF not responding in some bodies while power is being consumed to recharge the inbuilt flash.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

I'm not sure I've understood this right, but what have I mis-quoted?

Leonard Shepherd

snerkler wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

I'm not sure I've understood this right, but what have I mis-quoted?

Maybe have a second look at your starting point.

I did not say in my post that it was you who mis-quoted

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

BillyBobSenna
BillyBobSenna Senior Member • Posts: 1,282

jarek leo wrote:

I was loaned a Nikon D850 for testing and have been experiencing intermittent problems with it. Sometimes it freezes after I take a picture - buttons are inoperative, AF does not work, I cannot view images or take new ones. The remedy is to move the main switch to "illuminate" position - then everything is back to normal. Let me add that this happens after green light indicating writing to card goes off. First I thought this was attributable to memory card as I used a SD card only. But after I put Lexar XQD 2.0 Professional 32GB 2933x 440MB/s card in and used it as the main card slot, the problem did not go away. Has anybody else experienced anything like that?

Jarek

I had my first outing with a new D850 this weekend. I used the camera and a D500 at the race track for 3 days and took several thousand photos.. I used the camera with a Nikon 300 f2.8 lens. Sometimes I was using a 2x TC.

Over the 3 days, I experienced camera freeze a few times. The camera was not writing to card when I experienced these problems. I didn't have any time to diagnose the problem. I simply turned the camera on and off to fix. I was using a combination of Sony and Lexar XQD cards.

I have experienced these kinds of freezes on other Nikon cameras like the D500, D750, and others. I am not ready to say it is a problem with my D850. I need to get more shoots under my belt before sending it for repair.

-- hide signature --

Bill - Beverly Hills, MI
Motorsports Photography
http://billgulkerphotography.com/

BillyBobSenna's gear list:BillyBobSenna's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
TravelLight Regular Member • Posts: 290

I know this thread was started 5 months ago, but it's still being updated so here is another report of the freeze issue. I rented a D850 over the weekend and experienced the same thing. It froze randomly (the buttons stopped working, AF point stayed single point even when I pressed Group, and LCD screen not responsive to touch). Turning it off and back on solved the problem.

However, it's still frustrating when you are waiting for something to make a move (I mainly do wildlife so it's all about that crucial moment) then when it happens, the camera won't cooperate.

I own a D500, which I love, but from day it's been giving me the random ERR too (not often enough for me to send it for repair since I only have one camera). I solved it by 1) turning it off and back on; 2) removing and putting back the battery; or 3) detaching and reattaching the lens. The rented D850 never showed the ERR; it just wouldn't respond.

I have to say Nikon has some QC issues. Before Nikon I had used Fuji (X-T1), Canon (70D and 7D2), a Panasonic Lumix (mirrorless), and various bridge cameras. None of them ever had any freezing problems. Sure, I am just a sample of one, but having both Nikon (my own D500 and the rental 850) that freeze randomly gets irritating. Not to bash Nikon, but I want to add another voice to the discussion that OP wasn't the only one experiencing this issue.

shotguns Contributing Member • Posts: 887

Ditto. Had it on my D500... have it on my D850. At times frustration and can cost one a good shot here or there... learned to just live with it as the camera works fine other than this...but yeah, camera this price - shouldn't have this issue. As it's happened on several models it's a problem they need to really look into and fix.

shotguns's gear list:shotguns's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Sigma 500mm F4 Sport +3 more
SHese Junior Member • Posts: 31

Have to add another one D850 that freezes. I am shooting regatta races regularly and mine stopped while shooting to an SD card with a 400mm f2.8 in AF-C 3D. Nothing worked and the camera didnt focus anymore and didnt trigger a new exposure anymore (focus priority was off!). I had this twice on water but since than I cannot reproduce this effect right now bit it seemed to be linked to a phase of heavy shooting with lots of power drain from the 400mm (VR was off however).  The 850 wasnt at the Buffer limit of the SD card but I had been shooting approx. 800 shots and filled a 32GB XQD Sony G card before that came up when I shot to the 32GB u10 SDHC sandisc card.

I waited some seconds but since the action went on I just switched the 850 off an on again. If I cannot nail the problem down I will clearly send the cam back to Nikon. It has to be reliable. So happy that I found this thread - seems as if this isnt happening often and so far I cannot see much other complains online.

Will do some more testing with the original setup to try to reproduce the effect. My case might be special since I am always working in a wet environment under lens coats, but this never happened with my D800 bodies.

(no troll: read here: www.soerenhese.de or http://soerenhese.de/sailpower-blog/?p=7462

Kind regards and Thxs for any further ideas! Sören Hese

SHese's gear list:SHese's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
Leonard Shepherd

SHese wrote:

I had this twice on water but since than I cannot reproduce this effect right now bit it seemed to be linked to a phase of heavy shooting with lots of power drain from the 400mm (VR was off however).

You do not mention humidity or temperature though there are upper limits for both mentioned in your camera manual, outside of which performance is not guaranteed.

Once a long time ago on a hot afternoon on Lake Kariba in Zambia 6 of us were in a small boat observing elephant on the bank. One by one the camera bodies stopped working, the Canon first and my F100 last.

As you cannot reproduce the problem away from water high humidity may have been the cause.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

I returned my original D850 as it froze a few times/day and to my great disappointment by replacement froze about 6 times on the first day. However, after recharging the battery my D850 has now been problem free for a week of quite heavy use. Fingers crossed 'replacing' the battery has 'cured' it.

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

SHese wrote:

I had this twice on water but since than I cannot reproduce this effect right now bit it seemed to be linked to a phase of heavy shooting with lots of power drain from the 400mm (VR was off however).

As you cannot reproduce the problem away from water high humidity may have been the cause.

Yes clearly possible - but I never had this with my D800 bodies. Even under much more severe conditions these D800 bodies just went on focusing and ticking. I suspect the old EL15 battery OR the SDHC-I card does it. I will check that this weekend again on water with the EL15a and EL15 both on 50% or so. Tested today with the older SDHC-I card and was not able to reproduce the problem even with a 40% EN-EL15 and a comparable lens AFS situation...  So long, Sören

Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
quisflis Junior Member • Posts: 30

SHese wrote:

Have to add another one D850 that freezes. I am shooting regatta races regularly and mine stopped while shooting to an SD card with a 400mm f2.8 in AF-C 3D. Nothing worked and the camera didnt focus anymore and didnt trigger a new exposure anymore (focus priority was off!). I had this twice on water but since than I cannot reproduce this effect right now bit it seemed to be linked to a phase of heavy shooting with lots of power drain from the 400mm (VR was off however). The 850 wasnt at the Buffer limit of the SD card but I had been shooting approx. 800 shots and filled a 32GB XQD Sony G card before that came up when I shot to the 32GB u10 SDHC sandisc card.

I waited some seconds but since the action went on I just switched the 850 off an on again. If I cannot nail the problem down I will clearly send the cam back to Nikon. It has to be reliable. So happy that I found this thread - seems as if this isnt happening often and so far I cannot see much other complains online.

Will do some more testing with the original setup to try to reproduce the effect. My case might be special since I am always working in a wet environment under lens coats, but this never happened with my D800 bodies.

(no troll: read here: www.soerenhese.de or http://soerenhese.de/sailpower-blog/?p=7462

Hey Sören, I wanted to share my experience in the last couple of weeks too. I have shot roughly 10.000 frames in all kinds of different situations and different setups with different lenses, cards, with and without flash. The freezing of the D850 is totally random and happened to me sometimes in a heavy continuous shoot as well as in a single frame slow shooting studio situation without filling up the buffer heavily.

Up until now, there is no typical moment, where I could identify the problem. It's been absolutely random. I will send my body to Nikon Munich, Germany again, but have little hope they will be able to do anything about it. But Nikon should hear about this issue, maybe they will actually realize that some bodies are affected by some kind of performance issue.

quisflis's gear list:quisflis's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850

quisflis wrote:

Hey Sören, I wanted to share my experience in the last couple of weeks too. I have shot roughly 10.000 frames in all kinds of different situations and different setups with different lenses, cards, with and without flash. The freezing of the D850 is totally random and happened to me sometimes in a heavy continuous shoot as well as in a single frame slow shooting studio situation without filling up the buffer heavily.

Up until now, there is no typical moment, where I could identify the problem. It's been absolutely random. I will send my body to Nikon Munich, Germany again, but have little hope they will be able to do anything about it. But Nikon should hear about this issue, maybe they will actually realize that some bodies are affected by some kind of performance issue.

Thxs quisflis! Yes seems to random (bad). Strange thing is I cannot reproduce the problem with all lenses. That makes me wonder whats going on. At times I thought its a problem also related to the "wake up" from a power save status when I stopped shooting for a minute or so. From what I saw this last weekend  (1700 exposures) it got better with the original fully loaded EL15a.

Somehow right now also thinking about sending it in. Maybe ordering a loaner from NPS to see if the problem remains with a different body. This is just taking too much time.

Thxs and kind regards! Sören

quisflis wrote:

SHese wrote:

Have to add another one D850 that freezes. I am shooting regatta races regularly and mine stopped while shooting to an SD card with a 400mm f2.8 in AF-C 3D. Nothing worked and the camera didnt focus anymore and didnt trigger a new exposure anymore (focus priority was off!). I had this twice on water but since than I cannot reproduce this effect right now bit it seemed to be linked to a phase of heavy shooting with lots of power drain from the 400mm (VR was off however). The 850 wasnt at the Buffer limit of the SD card but I had been shooting approx. 800 shots and filled a 32GB XQD Sony G card before that came up when I shot to the 32GB u10 SDHC sandisc card.

Hej quisflis:

one more question please

have you been on an EL15a or an EL15 when the freezing happened? Nikon Düsseldorf just confirmed that the EL15 cant cope with all shooting scenarios.

kind regards! Sören

jarek leo
OP jarek leo Contributing Member • Posts: 958
Re: This thread is 5 months old - and

I started the thread and to my great dissapointment the issue is still ongoing. I was accused by some here of being incompetent because I dared to claim there I something wrong with the camera although Nikon service returned it twice stating the camera is within specifications. Someone suggested the camera must be handed to someone else but me and that is what has been done. A former official photographer of two Polish prime minister with years of experience in photojournalism took the camera for a couple od days and found out the same issues I am having without being advised on what the problem was. Well, he found even more - the camera drains any original Nikon battery quite fast and after freezing incidents, the shutter release buton becomes "oversensitive" - on half press when the camera should be just metering and autofocusing it takes photos. The camera goes back to Nikon service but I am afraid they will choose a denial policy once again.

Jarek

jarek leo's gear list:jarek leo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon D850

jarek leo wrote:

I started the thread and to my great dissapointment the issue is still ongoing. I was accused by some here of being incompetent because I dared to claim there I something wrong with the camera although Nikon service returned it twice stating the camera is within specifications. Someone suggested the camera must be handed to someone else but me and that is what has been done. A former official photographer of two Polish prime minister with years of experience in photojournalism took the camera for a couple od days and found out the same issues I am having without being advised on what the problem was. Well, he found even more - the camera drains any original Nikon battery quite fast and after freezing incidents, the shutter release buton becomes "oversensitive" - on half press when the camera should be just metering and autofocusing it takes photos. The camera goes back to Nikon service but I am afraid they will choose a denial policy once again.

Jarek

That's not good. Is it too late to reject the camera and ask for a replacement? How long after purchase did you notify Nikon? I had the same freezing issue and exchanged my camera, my second showed the same freezing issue with the old EN-EL15 battery but has worked flawlessly with the EN-EL15a and Ex-Pro EN-EL18.

MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,506

Good luck please let us know how the repair went

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
quisflis Junior Member • Posts: 30

SHese wrote:

quisflis wrote:

SHese wrote:

Hej quisflis:

one more question please

have you been on an EL15a or an EL15 when the freezing happened? Nikon Düsseldorf just confirmed that the EL15 cant cope with all shooting scenarios.

kind regards! Sören

To be honest, as I am sharing batteries between all bodies (D850, D810 and D500) it could well be the case that I was using the standard EL 15. I will test it out and only use it with the EL15a and see if there are any freezing issues.

quisflis's gear list:quisflis's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads