A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

Started Nov 8, 2017 | Discussions
sritri Regular Member • Posts: 160
Re: A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

I got my brand new D850 early last week. I put in a brand new Sandisk UHS-II 280mb/s SD Card in it and it froze for every 5th or 6th shot. The only way to get it back was to turn off and switch back on.

I have ordered a Sony XQD and a Sony SD UHS-II cards which should be delivered today and hopefully they will work.

Bedford Camera from whom I bought the camera have gracefully asked me not worry and send the camera back if the errors show up with the new cards!! I have about 75 clicks on it now.

-- hide signature --

Shreeni

PS - I had a separate thread opened on my issue.

sritri's gear list:sritri's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
jarek leo
OP jarek leo Contributing Member • Posts: 967

The update is as follows: the camera went back to Nikon service several weeks ago and has not returned yet. I am still using a pre-ownedd D850 I was loaned as a replacement and that one operates with no problems. And to those of you who have experienced similar issues and are buying faster cards or XQD cards to remedy them I can only say that the problems I experienced were definitely not card-related.

Jarek

jarek leo's gear list:jarek leo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D850
VascoS New Member • Posts: 1

I’ve been using the D850 since It came out and it just started having the same issue. I’ve tried it with 2 different sets of card and numerous lenses. It mostly happens while reviewing photos.

So, you’re definitely the only one having this issue.

AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,919

VascoS wrote:

I’ve been using the D850 since It came out and it just started having the same issue. I’ve tried it with 2 different sets of card and numerous lenses. It mostly happens while reviewing photos.

So, you’re definitely the only one having this issue.

If this is something that happens over time, could be a memory leak in the OS.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
brcarrtn New Member • Posts: 4

I won't put my money on it. Recall is scary.

brcarrtn New Member • Posts: 4

It is worrisome to hear that same thing is now happening with the d850, which is something i was seriously considering investing in..

MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,846

brcarrtn wrote:

It is worrisome to hear that same thing is now happening with the d850, which is something i was seriously considering investing in..

You will never buy a camera then, because I don't know any which has never had any issue.

Don't buy a TV as well. Any one you name I'll find you a report of an unhappy experience.

in fact do not buy any electronics for that matter, or a car, ...

Seriously, this is just one very unique report of its kind. And wait, on a rental. Which means we have no idea of its history and how the camera was handled during the previous rentals.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
jarek leo

It is becoming tiring, because every now and then I need to repeat what I clearly stated in the beginning, but well here it goes: I was loaned a brand-new NikonD850. Because of the issue I was having, it went to Nikon service, returned to me with the same issue, and went back to Nikon service. I was loaned another D850 - this one was pre-owned and pre-used  and I am having no issues with it. The original body has not returned from Nikon service and there has not been a word from them for close to two months now.

It is most likely an isolated issue but I am upset about lack of communication from Nikon. I just wanted to hear what was wrong, what they did to the body but it seems they have not been able to address the issue for almost four months now since I was loaned the body in the first place.

Jarek

TOF guy wrote:

brcarrtn wrote:

You will never buy a camera then, because I don't know any which has never had any issue.

Don't buy a TV as well. Any one you name I'll find you a report of an unhappy experience.

in fact do not buy any electronics for that matter, or a car, ...

Seriously, this is just one very unique report of its kind. And wait, on a rental. Which means we have no idea of its history and how the camera was handled during the previous rentals.

Blue439 New Member • Posts: 23

The problem has not presented itself again since I started using an XQD card a week ago (the shortage being finally over).

So, maybe it has something to do with how fast or slow the camera has to write to, or read from, the card...

This is just a suggestion based on personal experience: recurrent problem with SD card, no problem (so far!) with XQD.

I will update this post in case the problem recurs.

jarek leo

That was my thinking initially, too. I blamed the problem on my SD card. But after I put Lexar XQD 2.0 Professional 32GB 2933x 440MB/s card in the camera and used it either as the only card or as the main card slot, the problem did not go away.

Jarek

Blue439 wrote:

The problem has not presented itself again since I started using an XQD card a week ago (the shortage being finally over).

So, maybe it has something to do with how fast or slow the camera has to write to, or read from, the card...

This is just a suggestion based on personal experience: recurrent problem with SD card, no problem (so far!) with XQD.

I will update this post in case the problem recurs.

PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 16,868

You'll need to press them for some status.

I sent in a lens for repair once (El Segundo).  After 3 weeks with no status update at all, I started emailing.   And I got some curious questions.  Eventually it became clear that Nikon had lost the lens, as they had signed for it when the delivery was made but could not find it.   It took about a week of back-and-forth emails to get to that point.   They finally just sent me a replacement lens free of charge.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Dave M. New Member • Posts: 17

I'm having a similar issue.  Got my D850 2 weeks ago.  Seeing intermittent freezing issues with bringing up the menu, focusing, releasing the shutter even though it's set to release without focus.  The freeze up lasts for a few seconds, and then the camera goes back to normal.  Have Sony G series XQD and SDXC ( 128 gb ) set as backup.  Memory card access light is not on when this happens as far as I can tell.  It could happen 5 seconds after I take a shot and then try to take another, or after I turn on the camera.  I haven't really figured out when it will strike.  Planning on returning for a new body.  I'll update more if I figure out the cause or a pattern.

jarek leo

Yesterday I got a message that the infamous unit of D850 returned from its second voyage to Nikon Service after more than two months. The scan of the attached document states - translated literally - that "The camera has been subjected to intensive testing. All functions operate correctly". I will retest it but my initial conclusion is that intermittent freezing is part of correct functioning of D850.

Best

Jarek

Anwar T New Member • Posts: 1

Wow, before now I thought I was the only one. I’ve asked other photographers that have the same camera and have had no problems. It freaks me out when it does that! I’ll be taking it to Nikon tomorrow.

Received a new body and am experiencing the same issue.  Yesterday I turned on the camera and it would not show any activity for a few seconds.  After it turned on, I took a few shots and then pressed the play button numerous times, but the back screen would not turn on.  The write indicator was not on.  The issue also happens when focusing.  Press the AF-On button and nothing happens for a second or two.  Then the camera begins to operate normally.  All this is intermittent.  Cannot replicate at will.  I'm so disappointed in this.  Was looking forward to owning this camera.  Will return.  I think I'll pass up on this camera.  Wait for the next model or collect money for the D5.

MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,846

Honestly, with this issue happening to you, but not others (or rarely) and with 2 different bodies ?

Here are the possibilities:

- there is something wrong with your lens

- there is something wrong with your memory card

- The way you hold the camera, I.e. pressing another button while pressing the shutter

- something else that you are doing or specific to your set-up

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more

I did think about that, but here's what I've done.

I've tried different lenses.

Nikon 24-70

Nikon 24-120

Nikon 70-200

Tamron 28-75

I've tried different combination of memory cards

no memory card

sdxc card only

XQD card only

both sdxc and XQD cards

And have seen the issue occur.

I have not seen this issue on my D700 and D7100 using the same set of lenses.

It's true, it might be just me and a few other people, but in any case, it's happening on this body and not on the other ones that I have.

If you have any suggestions, I'll be happy to try them before I send the camera back.

ARClark
ARClark Veteran Member • Posts: 3,996
  1. Dave M. wrote:

I did think about that, but here's what I've done.

I've tried different lenses.

Nikon 24-70

Nikon 24-120

Nikon 70-200

Tamron 28-75

I've tried different combination of memory cards

no memory card

sdxc card only

XQD card only

both sdxc and XQD cards

And have seen the issue occur.

I have not seen this issue on my D700 and D7100 using the same set of lenses.

It's true, it might be just me and a few other people, but in any case, it's happening on this body and not on the other ones that I have.

If you have any suggestions, I'll be happy to try them before I send the camera back.

Had mine since October with no issues (15k shutter activations). Sorry you've had problems with yours.

Alan

ARClark's gear list:ARClark's gear list
Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +13 more
quisflis Junior Member • Posts: 42

jarek leo wrote:

I was loaned a Nikon D850 for testing and have been experiencing intermittent problems with it. Sometimes it freezes after I take a picture - buttons are inoperative, AF does not work, I cannot view images or take new ones. The remedy is to move the main switch to "illuminate" position - then everything is back to normal. Let me add that this happens after green light indicating writing to card goes off. First I thought this was attributable to memory card as I used a SD card only. But after I put Lexar XQD 2.0 Professional 32GB 2933x 440MB/s card in and used it as the main card slot, the problem did not go away. Has anybody else experienced anything like that?

Jarek

Hi,

I am experiencing exactly the same random freezing problems with my D850. I bought it 2 months ago. I took it to Nikon Munich (Germany), and explained to them, that it just randomly froze, but I couldn't recreate it in specific times nor conditions. I have a D810, D750 and D500 and most 2.8 Lenses with lots of different cards, SD, CF and XQD. So, I am sure it's not a lens or card issue. The Nikon technician returned it to me two days later saying "nothing was wrong" with the camera. He said, it was the first time that he heard of such a problem with the D850, in fact, he said, that he didn't have anyone with issues with the D850 yet. I hope he wasn't just lying to me...

I still experience the freezing issue from time to time, and it really is frustrating since I am working professionally. It is embarrassing when on a shoot and the client is on set, and suddenly I just stop taking photos for no reason. So, for now, I have not been using it on bigger shoots. It's quite frustrating knowing that I have this great (and expensive!) camera sitting there, but it's not working properly, and nobody can do anything about it.

I have not had the time to return to Nikon, but I will as soon as I'll have a couple of days off. In the meantime, if anyone reads about a solution to that issue, I would be very happy to hear about it.

Cheers, Phil

quisflis's gear list:quisflis's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850
MarekGlaser
MarekGlaser New Member • Posts: 13

My D850 does the same thing. Sometimes the shutter won't release when I press it, after a second or two it goes back to normal. I'm an experienced pro, there's definitely something going on with the camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads