A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

Started Nov 8, 2017 | Discussions
m_black
m_black Contributing Member • Posts: 919
Previous renter abuse?

jarek leo wrote:

I was loaned a Nikon D850 for testing and have been experiencing intermittent problems with it. Sometimes it freezes after I take a picture - buttons are inoperative, AF does not work, I cannot view images or take new ones. The remedy is to move the main switch to "illuminate" position - then everything is back to normal. Let me add that this happens after green light indicating writing to card goes off. First I thought this was attributable to memory card as I used a SD card only. But after I put Lexar XQD 2.0 Professional 32GB 2933x 440MB/s card in and used it as the main card slot, the problem did not go away. Has anybody else experienced anything like that?

Jarek

First thing that comes to mind is that you rented it. Meaning you have no idea what the previous renter did to the camera that the rental facility is unaware of. On Dpreview here there was a link to Sony that was splashed with salt water and subsequently died two weeks after it was returned. It may be a one off D850 gremlin. It could be an abused camera from the previous tenant. :-). And just to chime in.... I haven't had anything like that occur with mine.

m_black's gear list:m_black's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 20mm F1.8
jarek leo
OP jarek leo Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Re: A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

I did in one of earlier replies, but I can repeat which lenses I used: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AF-D and AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G VRII. Later I also used AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR.

Jarek

Old Greenlander wrote:

You never mentioned the lens

jarek leo's gear list:jarek leo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D850
jarek leo

An update. To isolate the source of the problem in line with some recommendations put forward by forum members I purchased a SanDisk SDHC 32GB Extreme Pro UHS-II 300MB/s card. It arrived today. I removed the  Lexar XQD and inserted only the new, fast SD card. So far, so good. Not a single case of camera freezing, I will do more testing at the weekend and keep you updated, Thanks to everyone at the forum for taking your time and trying to solve the issues I was having,

Best

Jarek

jarek leo
Update: A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

The camera goes to back to the company that loaned it to me for long-term testing. After more testing I discovered the problems i had with slower cards have largely remained the same with those recommended by Nikon. I can no longer blame the intermittent freezing of the camera on memory cards. And as I said this is a brand-new camera. As nobody else has reported such issues as those I am having there must be some problem with the specific body I was loaned. The first Nikon I have ever had any problems with in 12 years.

Best

Jarek

Nick Fahey New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Update: A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

Did you ever get an answer to this? I am not a troll and no expert photographer, but I am experiencing the same problem with the camera. For me it is easily solved by taking out the battery and putting it back in, but as I am using the WT-7 wireless transmitter that is a real pain in the backside. Will try the illumination button next time it happens and see if this works.

jarek leo

I returned the camera and now it is being serviced by Nikon Poland. No feedback so far. Will let you know if there is any news.

Best

Jarek

Nick Fahey wrote:

Did you ever get an answer to this? I am not a troll and no expert photographer, but I am experiencing the same problem with the camera. For me it is easily solved by taking out the battery and putting it back in, but as I am using the WT-7 wireless transmitter that is a real pain in the backside. Will try the illumination button next time it happens and see if this works.

klonatans
klonatans New Member • Posts: 6

I have experienced freezing issues with a D610 and nothing helped to cure it: the camera just kept on regularly freezing. The only way to turn it off was removing battery. I bought it on German Amazon for 1000 EUR from the UK with a low shutter count (5000) and I first noticed the issue in about 10 months of use. Fortunately I was able to send it back and buy another one that works just fine fof more than a year.

klonatans's gear list:klonatans's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +4 more
jarek leo
New update: A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

The D850 returned from Nikon service just before Christmas. They did not say what they did. No surprises here as they did nothing. I have been testing the camera over Christmas and the freezing problems has not been remedied. I am only discovering more "twists" to the issue. For example, while play, menu and most other buttons refuse to operate, the LiveView one does work - you can hear the mirror moving up but there is no image on the screen. When the camera works, it produces excellent images. But it is frustrating to be forced to find own ways around the freezing problem. The camera will return to Nikon service after Christmas but I am not very hopeful.

Jarek

P.S. As a sort of self-consolation I am attaching a few photos I have taken with the D850.

Nikon D850, AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D IF-ED

Nikon D850, Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2,8D PC

Nikon D850, Diaplan 80mm f/2,8 on M42 bellows adapted to Nikon mount

Nikon D850, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG ART

Nikon D850, Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2,8D PC

Nikon D850, Diaplan 80mm f/2,8 on M42 bellows adapted to Nikon mount

Laci55
Laci55 Senior Member • Posts: 2,739
Re: New update: A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

I am very sorry to hear about the nonchalant behaviour of the Nikon Service...

I hope that after the holiday someone else could help You!

Your pictures are nice! Merry Christmas!

-- hide signature --

'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs...' Kipling
www.imaginestudio.smugmug.com

Laci55's gear list:Laci55's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Hasselblad X1D II 50C Canon EOS R5 +14 more
jarek leo

Thank you! I doubt anybody looked into the issue. Probably some technician took a few photos, discovered no anomalies and returned it... two weeks later. There is no record of any repair attempts.

Merry Christmas!

Jarek

Laci55 wrote:

I am very sorry to hear about the nonchalant behaviour of the Nikon Service...

I hope that after the holiday someone else could help You!

Your pictures are nice! Merry Christmas!

caspianm Senior Member • Posts: 2,501

You received the same originally loaned camera back and they told you Nikon has not included repair paper work?  Doubtful?

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T30 Canon EOS 5DS Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +17 more
jarek leo

That;s what I have been told.

Jarek

caspianm wrote:

You received the same originally loaned camera back and they told you Nikon has not included repair paper work? Doubtful?

baker21 Forum Member • Posts: 65

I am not trolling anything or anyone... I do not own the D850 yet, but rather a D750, but seeing a post like this has me having flashbacks of all the issues I had with my D750.

which in case you are unaware, has had I believe 3 different RECALLS...

The issue with my D750 I had is that the camera will just FREEZE when using it. in burst mode or single mode... I cant focus or do anything.. I tried different memory cards, and different batteries and still no luck..  You change modes and try to do stuff and nothing will work, you literally got to take the batttery out and replace it, to reset it...

I told Nikon of the issue and they assured me that the unit had been tested and was working perfectly now and all issues had been addressed by the service.

I still have yet to try the D750 fixed as its been serviced by nikon and updated and still in the plastic bag.  I was thinking of jsut selling the D750 and moving on from it, as I recently got the Sony A7s low light king which I absolutely love and now have the dilemma of staying with nikon or switching to sony, or keeping both...

I also recently got the Sony RX10iii which I absolutely love..  But I am  going to upgrade to a D850 or A7riii in a few months once prices go down or wait and see if Nikon finally goes mirrorless in Q1 or Q2 this year which has been rumored forever now..  I typically wait til prices drop, but after all the bad issues I had with the D750, which really was a first for me having any problems with a nikon camera, at least nikon stepped up and fixed what the issues were... Great customer service is a + from nikon...

But if that same issue is happening to people now on the D850 that would be very worrisome.. Seems like reviews have been great, but their are alot of fan boys out there, and same was true for when D750 came out.. It was best thing since sliced bread, and look at all the recalls that had later on..

Good News is, if there is an issue Nikon steps up to the plate and fixes it... but I lost my D750 for like a month and a half.. So not so fun..

Anyways I hope this is an aberration and a memory card issue and not a major flaw..

Cant wait to upgrade to one or the other...

baker21's gear list:baker21's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +6 more
jarek leo

The issue looks very similar to the one I have been experiencing with D850. Initially I wrote an enthusiastic article about it at my blog, but then I discovered the freezing problem. I still think D850 is one of the very best cameras available now but the copy I was loaned is frustrating to use. It came back from Nikon service and I was told it was checked and eveything should work fine now but this is not the case. Nothing changed. I am not dealing directly with  Nikon service as the camera belongs to the photographic store and I have it only on loan. Today I returned the camera again and was loaned another copy - this time a pre-owned one and it works flawlessly. So I gather this is an isolated issue with the new copy I was originally loaned but it worries me that Nikon service was unable to resolve the issue.

Best

Jarek

baker21 wrote:

I am not trolling anything or anyone... I do not own the D850 yet, but rather a D750, but seeing a post like this has me having flashbacks of all the issues I had with my D750.

which in case you are unaware, has had I believe 3 different RECALLS...

The issue with my D750 I had is that the camera will just FREEZE when using it. in burst mode or single mode... I cant focus or do anything.. I tried different memory cards, and different batteries and still no luck.. You change modes and try to do stuff and nothing will work, you literally got to take the batttery out and replace it, to reset it...

I told Nikon of the issue and they assured me that the unit had been tested and was working perfectly now and all issues had been addressed by the service.

I still have yet to try the D750 fixed as its been serviced by nikon and updated and still in the plastic bag. I was thinking of jsut selling the D750 and moving on from it, as I recently got the Sony A7s low light king which I absolutely love and now have the dilemma of staying with nikon or switching to sony, or keeping both...

I also recently got the Sony RX10iii which I absolutely love.. But I am going to upgrade to a D850 or A7riii in a few months once prices go down or wait and see if Nikon finally goes mirrorless in Q1 or Q2 this year which has been rumored forever now.. I typically wait til prices drop, but after all the bad issues I had with the D750, which really was a first for me having any problems with a nikon camera, at least nikon stepped up and fixed what the issues were... Great customer service is a + from nikon...

But if that same issue is happening to people now on the D850 that would be very worrisome.. Seems like reviews have been great, but their are alot of fan boys out there, and same was true for when D750 came out.. It was best thing since sliced bread, and look at all the recalls that had later on..

Good News is, if there is an issue Nikon steps up to the plate and fixes it... but I lost my D750 for like a month and a half.. So not so fun..

Anyways I hope this is an aberration and a memory card issue and not a major flaw..

Cant wait to upgrade to one or the other...

baker21 Forum Member • Posts: 65

See now this is also what happened with the D750... Initially with amazing reviews and all the hype when that camera was released and dont get me wrong I love my D750..  Its a great camera and has served me well.

EXCEPT WHEN IT FREEZES FOR NO REASON AND I CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT EXCEPT PULL OUT BATTERY AND START AGAIN, BUT IT HAPPENED AGAIN, AND AGAIN....

It is not buffering, or reading writing errors, i have used different memory cards, different batteries.. It happens with nikon prime lenses 20mm, 50mm, 85mm, it happens with tamrons 70-200 vc g1. and 24-70 vc g1.  It just freezes.. both single and multi burst... It freezes.... thats best way I can explain it. And nothing works...

Hopefully these our the exceptions, but something I will keep an eye on, after my experience dealing with the D750 before I upgrade to the D850, especially at $3500.

I learned to be patient, and buy the older model. Its not like I am printing billboards and need 46MP.. and another concern of mine is if these lenses can handle the 46MP.. They say they can with the newer AF-S G lenses, but 46MP is so detailed..

I been using my 12MP a7s aka "low light king" and this camera is incredible for night shots and low light shots.. The bigger pixels, allow for that.. You notice phones lowering their MP resolution to get better low light performance.

I would be interested in seeing the difference in prints

of say 8x10s or 5x7s and to see the difference b.t D750 and D850 with same lenses..

I guess that is a different topic altogether.

Anyways goodluck with the D850 rental and I am not trolling nikon.

I love nikon and have supported nikon and bought nikon for over 10 years.

A do like sony as while, and though I don't have the newest cameras and jsut the old a7s, the low light performance on that camera and then the Rx10iii, for travel, is simply incredible IQ and to have 600mm zoom is crazy. But thats off topic..

Hopefully these aren't any major flaws here and there are no major recalls on the D850 like there was on the D750.  Nikon has great Customer Service though, which is a major + as while..  anyways gluck mate.

baker21's gear list:baker21's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +6 more
jarek leo

The nature of "freezing" on the D850 copy I had on loan is weird indeed. The more often it freezed, the more I was able to nail down what exactly stops to work. The strange thing is that usually I can continue taking photographs but am unable to view them or operate any back button, and no matter how long I wait, the back buttons do not work. Sometimes LiveView button does, but while the mirror moves up there is no image on the LCD screen. Just one flip of the main switch to "illuminate" position suffices to bring all back buttons including "Play" one to life.

Best

Jarek

baker21 wrote:

See now this is also what happened with the D750... Initially with amazing reviews and all the hype when that camera was released and dont get me wrong I love my D750.. Its a great camera and has served me well.

EXCEPT WHEN IT FREEZES FOR NO REASON AND I CANT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT EXCEPT PULL OUT BATTERY AND START AGAIN, BUT IT HAPPENED AGAIN, AND AGAIN....

It is not buffering, or reading writing errors, i have used different memory cards, different batteries.. It happens with nikon prime lenses 20mm, 50mm, 85mm, it happens with tamrons 70-200 vc g1. and 24-70 vc g1. It just freezes.. both single and multi burst... It freezes.... thats best way I can explain it. And nothing works...

Hopefully these our the exceptions, but something I will keep an eye on, after my experience dealing with the D750 before I upgrade to the D850, especially at $3500.

I learned to be patient, and buy the older model. Its not like I am printing billboards and need 46MP.. and another concern of mine is if these lenses can handle the 46MP.. They say they can with the newer AF-S G lenses, but 46MP is so detailed..

I been using my 12MP a7s aka "low light king" and this camera is incredible for night shots and low light shots.. The bigger pixels, allow for that.. You notice phones lowering their MP resolution to get better low light performance.

I would be interested in seeing the difference in prints

of say 8x10s or 5x7s and to see the difference b.t D750 and D850 with same lenses..

I guess that is a different topic altogether.

Anyways goodluck with the D850 rental and I am not trolling nikon.

I love nikon and have supported nikon and bought nikon for over 10 years.

A do like sony as while, and though I don't have the newest cameras and jsut the old a7s, the low light performance on that camera and then the Rx10iii, for travel, is simply incredible IQ and to have 600mm zoom is crazy. But thats off topic..

Hopefully these aren't any major flaws here and there are no major recalls on the D850 like there was on the D750. Nikon has great Customer Service though, which is a major + as while.. anyways gluck mate.

AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 2,919

There are always duds. At least with electronics, most of your failures will happen early in the product use cycle.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +1 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 16,844

The more you describe the problems, the more it sounds like a circuit board issue.  Perhaps the type of issue one gets after spilling fluid on the camera...

Nevertheless, I have one easy suggestion to try.  Clean the lens/body contacts with some electrical cleaner and see if that helps or cures the freezing issue.  I've had a similar problem years ago with the D300, and contact cleaning worked.  (Later a firmware revision to make the D300 less sensitive to lens impedance issues fixed it for good.)

You have too many different symptoms to really match my issue, and if it is a bad circuit board causing the freezing (D750 or D850), nothing will fix it until it is replaced, but it's so easy to clean contacts...  (Do the battery while you are at it).

Here I use Deoxit to clean contacts.   Available from Radio Shack, and probably lots of other places.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +37 more
jarek leo

I received it brand new for testing in original sealed packaging so fluid spill is highly unlikely. As for your suggestions: let Nikon service do their job. If they cannot figure out they should clean the contacts in a new camera to fix it, how could we expect them to be able to repair anything more complex than that?

Best

Jarek

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

The more you describe the problems, the more it sounds like a circuit board issue. Perhaps the type of issue one gets after spilling fluid on the camera...

Nevertheless, I have one easy suggestion to try. Clean the lens/body contacts with some electrical cleaner and see if that helps or cures the freezing issue. I've had a similar problem years ago with the D300, and contact cleaning worked. (Later a firmware revision to make the D300 less sensitive to lens impedance issues fixed it for good.)

You have too many different symptoms to really match my issue, and if it is a bad circuit board causing the freezing (D750 or D850), nothing will fix it until it is replaced, but it's so easy to clean contacts... (Do the battery while you are at it).

Here I use Deoxit to clean contacts. Available from Radio Shack, and probably lots of other places.

Blue439 New Member • Posts: 23

I encounter exactly the same problem with my D850, bought a few weeks ago. The camera freezes/locks up while reviewing pictures on the back LCD. The green light comes on and stays on forever (20-30 seconds maybe), and no control is operational during that period. Then the LED goes off and everything is back to normal. The event that triggers it seems to be when I try to move from one picture to the next in the back LCD viewing process: the camera just won't execute the order and remains frozen on the currently displayed picture.

I run the latest version of the firmware.

I haven't yet found an XQD card so I am using a Lexar Pro 2000x SD card, which I used before in a D810 without ever encountering this problem. In fact, I never ever did encounter it with any of the dozen or so Nikon camera bodies I've used since I bought my first D200 back in 2006 (including D700, D3, D3S, D4, etc.).

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated...!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads