A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
jarek leo
jarek leo Contributing Member • Posts: 954
A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

I was loaned a Nikon D850 for testing and have been experiencing intermittent problems with it. Sometimes it freezes after I take a picture - buttons are inoperative, AF does not work, I cannot view images or take new ones. The remedy is to move the main switch to "illuminate" position - then everything is back to normal. Let me add that this happens after green light indicating writing to card goes off. First I thought this was attributable to memory card as I used a SD card only. But after I put Lexar XQD 2.0 Professional 32GB 2933x 440MB/s card in and used it as the main card slot, the problem did not go away. Has anybody else experienced anything like that?

Jarek

jarek leo's gear list:jarek leo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon D850
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fabbui Regular Member • Posts: 136
Re: A Nikon D850 rented for testing intermittently freezes

No, my only issue is that I am using a slow SD card (waiting for the XQD) and when the buffer is filled, it stops taking any picture, so I have to wait some time to get more pictures..  would that be your issue ?  (and I am not using the 7 fps speed but saving full size raw)

fabbui's gear list:fabbui's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D850 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2
Laci55
Laci55 Senior Member • Posts: 2,007

Absolutely no problem with mine.

-- hide signature --

'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs...' Kipling
www.imaginestudio.smugmug.com

Laci55's gear list:Laci55's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Nikon D5 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS-1D X Mark II +19 more
xGumbyx Regular Member • Posts: 150

Have not seen that issue here using the same Lexar XQD as you as well as a 128GB Sony G series

xGumbyx's gear list:xGumbyx's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +6 more
baker21 New Member • Posts: 9

I own the nikon D750 and I am having a similar issue.  I sent it in to get fixed however, the camera would simply freeze while shooting... I would try changing modes, turning it off and on and it still would stay frozen..

I hope they are able to fix this issue with the recall but its scary to hear that same thing is now happening with the d850, which is something i was seriously considering investing in..

With the D750 getting repaired as we speak now, I jsut got off the phone with a nikon rep to further elaborate the issue..

Seems like nikons email support, ticket support, and any type of support is completely down and has been for weeks.. Only way is to call them and then I dont know if she even is going to update what I said to the order.. No confirmation or anything like that..

She said they test the cameras before sending back but I explained to her and doesnt happen all the time... but if they shot enough it would happen..

the screen just freezes, youc ant AF or do anything.. u try changing modes, an turning on and off its still frozen... take out batteries and then change modes and maybe after 5 - 10 tries it will work again..

I just shot a wedding and had so many issues with this camera I literally had to shoot with something else...  just ridiculous to be honest b/c nikon is suppose to be superior QUALITY... I am interested to know if this happening on the d850 also as I can confirm it is happening on the d750 also..

baker21's gear list:baker21's gear list
Sony RX10 III Sony Alpha a7S Nikon D5500 Nikon D750 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
xGumbyx Regular Member • Posts: 150

baker21 wrote:

I hope they are able to fix this issue with the recall but its scary to hear that same thing is now happening with the d850, which is something i was seriously considering investing in..

There is no reason for this statement, it has happened to ONE person as of this time.  No need to overreact.

xGumbyx's gear list:xGumbyx's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +6 more
DWM Forum Member • Posts: 89

Troll with only one post.

DWM's gear list:DWM's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Nikon D800E Panasonic G85
Tony Bonanno Contributing Member • Posts: 967

Over 6000 frames on my 850 and not one glitch or problem.  My first thought after reading your post was a card issue, but since you are having problem with another XQD card, then that doesn't sound likely.  Have you tried swapping the battery for another ??  Also, which lens are you using.  Problem with other lenses also ??

-- hide signature --

Tony Bonanno Photography, Santa Fe, New Mexico
ASMP Professional Member, APA National Member
Instructor, Santa Fe Photographic Workshops
www.bonannophoto.com

Tony Bonanno's gear list:Tony Bonanno's gear list
Nikon D5 Leica M10 Nikon D850 +1 more
Laslo Varadi
Laslo Varadi Veteran Member • Posts: 4,952
No problem here either

jarek leo wrote:

I was loaned a Nikon D850 for testing and have been experiencing intermittent problems with it. Sometimes it freezes after I take a picture - buttons are inoperative, AF does not work, I cannot view images or take new ones. The remedy is to move the main switch to "illuminate" position - then everything is back to normal. Let me add that this happens after green light indicating writing to card goes off. First I thought this was attributable to memory card as I used a SD card only. But after I put Lexar XQD 2.0 Professional 32GB 2933x 440MB/s card in and used it as the main card slot, the problem did not go away. Has anybody else experienced anything like that?

Jarek

Ignore the troll with one post who does not even have a D850.  If there was an known issue you would have seen many posts by now.

Laslo Varadi's gear list:Laslo Varadi's gear list
Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +7 more
clickclack Regular Member • Posts: 397

It is probably in vain, but you could try the "Two-Button Reset" to restore the default settings?

If it is a rental, you also never know what happened to the camera before?...

As the troll used the word recall for this problem: No there haven't been any for this - ever...

jarek leo
OP jarek leo Contributing Member • Posts: 954

Definitely not. This happens with the fastest XQD card and not in bursts but in single drive mode from time to time.

Jarek

fabbui wrote:

No, my only issue is that I am using a slow SD card (waiting for the XQD) and when the buffer is filled, it stops taking any picture, so I have to wait some time to get more pictures.. would that be your issue ? (and I am not using the 7 fps speed but saving full size raw)

jarek leo

I thought this was a card issue, as I used  old SD card - which has never given me any problem in Nikon Df, Nikon D810 and Sony A7R II - but now the issue happens with a fast XQD card. I was only given one battery with the loaned camera but I will ask for another one and try what you have suggested. I have tested three lenses so far and this happens with all of them - Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AF-D and AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G VRII. The issue is not related to whether I take single shots or bursts,

Jarek

Tony Bonanno wrote:

Over 6000 frames on my 850 and not one glitch or problem. My first thought after reading your post was a card issue, but since you are having problem with another XQD card, then that doesn't sound likely. Have you tried swapping the battery for another ?? Also, which lens are you using. Problem with other lenses also ??

-- hide signature --

Tony Bonanno Photography, Santa Fe, New Mexico
ASMP Professional Member, APA National Member
Instructor, Santa Fe Photographic Workshops
www.bonannophoto.com

jarek leo

I will try the "Two-Button Reset". No history before me as I was loaned a brand new camera for the test. I absolutely love the camera and the problem is so rare that the first impressions review I did at my blog does not even mention the issue because I discovered it later. It is intermittent as I wrote in the original post and I only discovered it when trying to review a shot I have taken. When the camera works it works perfectly. And then after one shot it freezes completely but just the flip of the on-off switch to "illuminate" position wakes it up. Someone suggested something I find hard to believe - and issue with spring-loaded power on-off switch mechanism. Has anybody heard about such issue wiith other Nikons? I have had a lot Nikon DSLRs - from D2X, D80, through D3, D3s, to Df, D800 and D810 and have never had a single issue.

Jarek

clickclack wrote:

It is probably in vain, but you could try the "Two-Button Reset" to restore the default settings?

If it is a rental, you also never know what happened to the camera before?...

As the troll used the word recall for this problem: No there haven't been any for this - ever...

jarek leo
Re: No problem here either

I am at a loss as to who you are calling a troll: me or some other poster. Anyway, to prove that I am using the D850 I am posting some images taken with it  resized for the web. I think it is a fabulous camera; I am surprised to find any glitch at all as I have had none with any Nikon camera in 12 years.

Laslo Varadi wrote:

jarek leo wrote:

Jarek

Ignore the troll with one post who does not even have a D850. If there was an known issue you would have seen many posts by now.

clickclack Regular Member • Posts: 397

jarek leo wrote:

I am at a loss as to who you are calling a troll

Don't worry - it is the guy with one post (baker21).

Really nice captures!

jarek leo

OK, got it! And thanks.

Jarek

clickclack wrote:

jarek leo wrote:

I am at a loss as to who you are calling a troll

Don't worry - it is the guy with one post (baker21).

Really nice captures!

d750guy Contributing Member • Posts: 981

jarek leo wrote:

Jarek

Test it without a card.

calson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,966

I had the same problem with my D500 and the Lexar XQD card. I removed the card and used only the ultra fast SD card and no more problems. Lexar replaced the XQD card and it works fine. I have switched to buying only Sony G series XQD cards.

-- hide signature --

"The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders…tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."
- Hermann Goring

jarek leo

Which SD card would you recommend?

Jarek

calson wrote:

I had the same problem with my D500 and the Lexar XQD card. I removed the card and used only the ultra fast SD card and no more problems. Lexar replaced the XQD card and it works fine. I have switched to buying only Sony G series XQD cards.

-- hide signature --

"The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders…tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."
- Hermann Goring

Old Greenlander Senior Member • Posts: 2,928

You never mentioned the lens

-- hide signature --

Old Greenlander
"I show the world the way I see it"
35 years of photography and still learning

Old Greenlander's gear list:Old Greenlander's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads