Right Angle Finder on a Star Tracker Pro

Started Nov 1, 2017 | Photos
landscaper1
landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,407
Right Angle Finder on a Star Tracker Pro

Once I decided to buy a tracking device, my next issue was whether I could get one equipped with a right angle finder. When you have a bad lower back, crouching down to look up 40 degrees or more to align with Polaris is likely to be an excruciating experience.'

Alas, manufacturer of affordable tracking devices seems to even offer the option of a right angle finder.  So, I decided to purchase a Star Tracker Pro and take a chance on being able to fabricate something that would work.  What follows is a step-by-step of how to duplicate what I did.

I suppose it may be possible, with great care, to drill a small hole in the top side of the plastic tube and and drill a slight indent in the polar scope optical tube so a screw could be tightened to more securely attach the entire assembly.  However, I haven't tried that as yet.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper

landscaper1's gear list:landscaper1's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +10 more
FMelis Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: Right Angle Finder on a Star Tracker Pro

landscaper1 wrote:

Once I decided to buy a tracking device, my next issue was whether I could get one equipped with a right angle finder. When you have a bad lower back, crouching down to look up 40 degrees or more to align with Polaris is likely to be an excruciating experience.'

Alas, manufacturer of affordable tracking devices seems to even offer the option of a right angle finder. So, I decided to purchase a Star Tracker Pro and take a chance on being able to fabricate something that would work. What follows is a step-by-step of how to duplicate what I did.

I suppose it may be possible, with great care, to drill a small hole in the top side of the plastic tube and and drill a slight indent in the polar scope optical tube so a screw could be tightened to more securely attach the entire assembly. However, I haven't tried that as yet.

Super cheap 3D printed adapter:
http://www.astrokraken.fr/adaptateur-chercheur-angle-droit-seagull-pour-viseur-polaire-type-skyc-a129918512
Federico

landscaper1
OP landscaper1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,407

FMelis wrote:

http://www.astrokraken.fr/adaptateur-chercheur-angle-droit-seagull-pour-viseur-polaire-type-skyc-a129918512
Federico

Very interesting, but unfortunately, this is a different make of tracking device and it's not clear their adapter would fit on the Sky Tracker Pro.  And if you can't read French, you might have a difficult time placing an order in any case.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +10 more

landscaper1 wrote:

FMelis wrote:

Federico

Very interesting, but unfortunately, this is a different make of tracking device and it's not clear their adapter would fit on the Sky Tracker Pro. And if you can't read French, you might have a difficult time placing an order in any case.

I suppose the Sky Tracker Pro has a very similar attachment, but I'm not sure, you can find the precise size of the adapter below on the comment section.
The guy can and does print stuff on requirement too, so he could easily build one for your tracker, he speaks english as you can see on the comments, so no problem messaging him in english.
I cant speak french well and still had no problem contacting him and buying adapters, they are well made and cheap, I havent find anything similar anywhere else.
Federico

landscaper1

Federico,

I looked at the message section at the bottom of that web page, but I have no idea what to put in the Site Address line.  The only reference I've ever used is my email address and that message box says that's not enough.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper

landscaper1 wrote:

Federico,

I looked at the message section at the bottom of that web page, but I have no idea what to put in the Site Address line. The only reference I've ever used is my email address and that message box says that's not enough.

Just name and email should be enough, website is non-obligatory it says.
If it doesnt work I would just shoot him an email here:
leca.philippe@neuf.fr
Federico

landscaper1

FMelis wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

Federico,

I looked at the message section at the bottom of that web page, but I have no idea what to put in the Site Address line. The only reference I've ever used is my email address and that message box says that's not enough.

Just name and email should be enough, website is non-obligatory it says.
If it doesnt work I would just shoot him an email here:
leca.philippe@neuf.fr
Federico

Thanks.  And I have.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper

swimswithtrout Veteran Member • Posts: 3,575

FMelis wrote:

landscaper1 wrote:

Alas, manufacturer of affordable tracking devices seems to even offer the option of a right angle finder. So, I decided to purchase a Star Tracker Pro and take a chance on being able to fabricate something that would work. What follows is a step-by-step of how to duplicate what I did.

I suppose it may be possible, with great care, to drill a small hole in the top side of the plastic tube and and drill a slight indent in the polar scope optical tube so a screw could be tightened to more securely attach the entire assembly. However, I haven't tried that as yet.

Federico

The Polarie is completely different from the iOptron, and the Polarie's PA scope design/ in use function is it's weakest point.

landscaper1

swimswithtrout wrote:

The Polarie is completely different from the iOptron, and the Polarie's PA scope design/ in use function is it's weakest point.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the subject of this thread; that is, how best to attach a right angle finder to the polar scope of a Sky Tracker Pro (which I obviously already own).

-- hide signature --

Landscaper

landscaper1

Federico,

Thank you for bringing that site to my attention.  I've contacted Phillipe and he has assured me that his creation will be compatible with the polar scope of the SkyTracker Pro, and I've placed an order for one with him.  I have no doubt it will prove my effective than my own cobbled together device shown in this thread.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper

landscaper1 wrote:

swimswithtrout wrote:

I'm not sure what that has to do with the subject of this thread; that is, how best to attach a right angle finder to the polar scope of a Sky Tracker Pro (which I obviously already own).

He's probably misreading my link, that says at some point "viseur-polaire", thinking it would be an adapter for the Polarie mount.

"Viseur polaire" means polar scope in french, it's NOT Polarie the mount(slightly different spelling, watch attently).

landscaper1 wrote:

Federico,

Thank you for bringing that site to my attention. I've contacted Phillipe and he has assured me that his creation will be compatible with the polar scope of the SkyTracker Pro, and I've placed an order for one with him. I have no doubt it will prove my effective than my own cobbled together device shown in this thread.

You are welcome!

AstroBackyard
AstroBackyard New Member • Posts: 17

This is excellent! I admire your ingenuity and appreciate the thorough step by step photos and descriptions.  Do you have a link to this process online somewhere else? I'd love to share this information in my post about the SkyTracker .  Thanks

landscaper1

AstroBackyard wrote:

This is excellent! I admire your ingenuity and appreciate the thorough step by step photos and descriptions. Do you have a link to this process online somewhere else? I'd love to share this information in my post about the SkyTracker . Thanks

Actually, I've ordered the 3D printed adapter from France and expect it to arrive any day now.  Once I have it, I'll post an image of it on the Sky Tracker Pro.  If it works as I suspect, I would NOT encourage anyone to follow my process.  The 3D print adapter only cost $14.50.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper

landscaper1 wrote:

AstroBackyard wrote:

This is excellent! I admire your ingenuity and appreciate the thorough step by step photos and descriptions. Do you have a link to this process online somewhere else? I'd love to share this information in my post about the SkyTracker . Thanks

Actually, I've ordered the 3D printed adapter from France and expect it to arrive any day now. Once I have it, I'll post an image of it on the Sky Tracker Pro. If it works as I suspect, I would NOT encourage anyone to follow my process. The 3D print adapter only cost $14.50.

My setup with the adapter (and another adapter for the illuminator):

landscaper1

I said I'd post an image of the 3D printed adapter (Green part) mounted on a Sky Tracker Pro once I received it, so here it is ...

It works like a charm and, using the Pentax DSLR adapter that came with the Neewer 1x-2x right angle finder, the RFA is securely mounted and should not come loose or fall off in use.

A bargain at $14.50.  Forget my handmade jury-rig; this is much better.

-- hide signature --

Landscaper

zapwizard Forum Member • Posts: 61

Howdy Folks,

Inspired by this thread, and my aching back: I made my own design similar to the french design. Mine is made from SLS Nylon instead of FDM printed PLA. It also can use metal screws, and doesn't require a secondary adapter. I also made a lens cap for the right angle lens.

Because mine is made by Shapeways, it costs a bit more, and doesn't include shipping, so I understand if folks order the french one.

Video below.

zapwizard's gear list:zapwizard's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads