Timelapse (interval) shooting

Started Oct 31, 2017 | Questions
Pepyn Senior Member • Posts: 1,001
Timelapse (interval) shooting

Hi all

I tried my first timelapse on the weekend, using interval shooting, set at 30 seconds and shot 180 frames. In hindsight this interval was not a good choice for moving clouds/storms since the full shoot only created a 5 second video (30fps).

I'm guessing a 1 second interval is a better choice?

However, one concern I have is battery life. My battery (XT1) was done after just 90 shots (each being 3-5 seconds LE), and changing the battery meant a break in the sequence (restart the interval shooting mode). Somehow PS recognised the break and introduces a grey frame in between (hard to see when played as video, like a flicker).

How do people deal with the battery life issue? GoPros can be left USB powered during the process, can't do that with the camera.

Pepyn's gear list:Pepyn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pete Silver
Pete Silver Contributing Member • Posts: 871
Re: Timelapse (interval) shooting

The time interval for a timelapse of clouds for example varies with the speed they are going at, but one frame a second is a good place to start.

Make sure your battery is fully charged before you do a timelapse. The last one I did was about 30/40 minutes which I think was somewhere around 1300 frames.

Fuji X-T2

-- hide signature --

Pete Silver

Pete Silver's gear list:Pete Silver's gear list
Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
chromos
chromos Regular Member • Posts: 118

I did my first timelapse attempt a few days ago and my X-E2 with fully charged original accu was capable to make two sessions with 999 shots each. Next I tried third session, but forgeting to charge accu and still my camera took another 358 pictures. So, 2356 pictures in total. Time interval was 3 seconds in all cases.

You can see result here:

chromos's gear list:chromos's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +8 more
kiwi2
kiwi2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,045

Pepyn wrote:

How do people deal with the battery life issue? GoPros can be left USB powered during the process, can't do that with the camera.

I have the battery grip for my X-T2 for such occasions.

If you get the battery grip, you'll be able to run two batteries in the X-T1.

With the X-T2, the battery grip enables you to run three batteries at once.

And 3 second intervals is good for fast moving cloud. 5 seconds for clouds that you can hardly see moving.

kiwi2's gear list:kiwi2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T100 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +4 more
Esmond_B Regular Member • Posts: 146

I attach a USB powerbank to my X-T2 to extend the battery life, I'm sure you can do this with the X-T1 as well.

-- hide signature --

Esmond

Esmond_B's gear list:Esmond_B's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +2 more
OP Pepyn Senior Member • Posts: 1,001

chromos wrote:

I did my first timelapse attempt a few days ago and my X-E2 with fully charged original accu was capable to make two sessions with 999 shots each. Next I tried third session, but forgeting to charge accu and still my camera took another 358 pictures. So, 2356 pictures in total. Time interval was 3 seconds in all cases.

You can see result here:

Accu eh? Nederlands?

Nice job on the timelapse, what did you use for the camera motion?

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +5 more

Esmond_B wrote:

I attach a USB powerbank to my X-T2 to extend the battery life, I'm sure you can do this with the X-T1 as well.

How do you do this? I thought USB charging wasn't possible on these cameras.

Pete Silver wrote:

The time interval for a timelapse of clouds for example varies with the speed they are going at, but one frame a second is a good place to start.

Make sure your battery is fully charged before you do a timelapse. The last one I did was about 30/40 minutes which I think was somewhere around 1300 frames.

Fuji X-T2

Thanks will try 1-5 seconds.

kiwi2 wrote:

Pepyn wrote:

I have the battery grip for my X-T2 for such occasions.

If you get the battery grip, you'll be able to run two batteries in the X-T1.

With the X-T2, the battery grip enables you to run three batteries at once.

And 3 second intervals is good for fast moving cloud. 5 seconds for clouds that you can hardly see moving.

Yeah I'm not keen the battery grip.

I also had image preview still on, so maybe turn that off ? Might also shoot RAW only instead of RAW+JPG. And I wonder if there's a way to turn the screen off during the shooting?

chromos

Pepyn wrote:

chromos wrote:

You can see result here:

Accu eh? Nederlands?

Accu = accumulator. I distinguish between battery (non-rechargable) and accu (rechargable), although I later realized that in english the battery term is more used. Native speaker can correct me.

Camera motion is made afterwards in Movie Studio Platinum (pan/zoom).

Location is in Czech republic.

Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +8 more

chromos wrote:

Pepyn wrote:

chromos wrote:

You can see result here:

Accu eh? Nederlands?

Accu = accumulator. I distinguish between battery (non-rechargable) and accu (rechargable), although I later realized that in english the battery term is more used. Native speaker can correct me.

Camera motion is made afterwards in Movie Studio Platinum (pan/zoom).

Location is in Czech republic.

Ha, ok well accu in Dutch is battery, well more a car battery really

Right ok, I'll have to check that out, so basically it's motion within the image...

oscarvdvelde Senior Member • Posts: 1,311

Be sure to also turn off the screen and viewfinder and do not let it detect your eye presence before enabling the timelapse.

Note that you can use electronic shutter mode to avoid mechanical wear at 60 frames a minute. At such rates, the memory card space becomes quickly an issue, especially if raw is enabled.

oscarvdvelde's gear list:oscarvdvelde's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Samyang 50mm F1.2 +4 more
kiwi2
kiwi2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,045

Pepyn wrote:

Yeah I'm not keen the battery grip.

I also had image preview still on, so maybe turn that off ? Might also shoot RAW only instead of RAW+JPG. And I wonder if there's a way to turn the screen off during the shooting?

Certainly turn image preview off and there is a small button up on the side of the viewfinder area for toggling the LCD off. Go for eye detect EVF only.

I actually do timelapses in the small JPEG fine only 16:9 settings so the files can go straight into the timelapse programme with no editing. And as someone else mentioned, electronic shutter so there is no wear and tear on the mechanical shunter.

It works quite well and is easy to use i find...

https://youtu.be/j94jGMPkHvs

(best viewed full screen 1080p)

kiwi2's gear list:kiwi2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T100 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +4 more

Pepyn wrote:

Esmond_B wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlRGpL4M6ko

Powerbank plugged into X-T2 - green light indicates charging.

Switch camera on and start using.

NB: The powerbank (Ravpower RP-PB19) can supply power at 2.4A and 2.1A. At 2.4A the camera when switched on behaves as if it is connected to a PC for file transfer. This only seems to work (with the device) at 2.1A output.

-- hide signature --

Esmond

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +2 more
BurpeesAreHard Contributing Member • Posts: 870

Esmond_B wrote:

Pepyn wrote:

Esmond_B wrote:

NB: The powerbank (Ravpower RP-PB19) can supply power at 2.4A and 2.1A. At 2.4A the camera when switched on behaves as if it is connected to a PC for file transfer. This only seems to work (with the device) at 2.1A output.

I don't have an X-T2 that I can test with, but I use my X100T powered by USB to take timelapse all the time. On my X100T, the little battery icon disappears from the LCD screen when powered from USB. But in your example, the battery icon stays. I wish it would have disappeared. It may be the case that the X-T2 can both charge the battery and operate the camera from USB at the same time. But I know my X100T is an either/or situation. Either the battery is being charged (switch off) or the camera is operated from USB power (switch on), but not both.

Esmond_B wrote:

Pepyn wrote:

Esmond_B wrote:

Thanks for that, so basically the XT2 can be charged by USB.  Do you know if the XT1 can do this?

I've never tried with an X-T1 and wouldn't want to speculate

-- hide signature --

Esmond

jtr27
jtr27 Senior Member • Posts: 2,839

Can anyone recommend a program for easily creating a timelapse movie from the shots?

In Sony land there is an "app" that does this in camera.  That app is one of a few things that I miss about Sony (no plans to go back though).

Thank you,

-- hide signature --
chromos

You can look at Vegas Movie Studio: http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-movie-studio/

They have Movie Studio Platinum on sale right now ($49.99, regularly $79.99).

photodan1
photodan1 Contributing Member • Posts: 973

Pepyn wrote:

Esmond_B wrote:

Pepyn wrote:

Esmond_B wrote:

Thanks for that, so basically the XT2 can be charged by USB. Do you know if the XT1 can do this?

N for the xt2. I think xt2, x100f and see are the only ones. Not even the xpro2.

-- hide signature --

www.dankaneimages.com

photodan1's gear list:photodan1's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads