Do you think there will be a DJI DL adapter for Canon EF lenses?

Started Oct 26, 2017 | Questions
Stephen Brenner Regular Member • Posts: 379
Do you think there will be a DJI DL adapter for Canon EF lenses?

That would make the zenmuse x7 a little more affordable.
I’m not sure if that would exceed the inspire 2 weight limit
or if the proprietary DL mount is too complicated to reverse engineer.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 39,113
Re: Do you think there will be a DJI DL adapter for Canon EF lenses?

I am sorry there has been no reply but perhaps it is because nobody knows what your are asking about - I certainly don’t - can you be more explicit?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

OP Stephen Brenner Regular Member • Posts: 379

The DJI Zenmuse X7 is a 4K 14 stop s35 camera designed for a DJI drone but could be used for hand held gimbal use. It has a flange focal distance of less than 17 mm so a whole bunch of lenses could be adapted to it. The DL mount is there proprietary mount.

https://www.dji.com/zenmuse-x7

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 39,113

Stephen Brenner wrote:

The DJI Zenmuse X7 is a 4K 14 stop s35 camera designed for a DJI drone but could be used for hand held gimbal use. It has a flange focal distance of less than 17 mm so a whole bunch of lenses could be adapted to it. The DL mount is there proprietary mount.

https://www.dji.com/zenmuse-x7

Thanks, I am obviously not into drone photography.

If the camera unit was used hand held I presume that it still could be used with a contoller somehow.  The next difficulty would be weight of the alternative lens - being hand held and not on drone this should not be a big issue.  Then there is the issue of controlling the lens.  Usully means that the camera be set to aperture priority or manual control and capable of being set to fire without lens atached - perhaps the largest hurdle as with a manual lens there will be no signal between the lens and camera body and the camera in its normal state may be set to detect an electronic oem coupling signal before becoming operational.

If these factors can be overcome then it would be possible to use the camera off drone.  The most likely small physical size lenses would be C mount or LTM/LM mount.

Presumably if there seemed enough market and the lenses could be used hand held and on an operating drone then some enterprising adapter manufacturer will make them soon enough.

For the meantime if the required electronic communication issues could be overcome then a make your own adapter may be the only course of action.

On the other hand the lenses seem to have good credentials and are made with carbon fibre bodies.  There is no obvious way that they could be used on other normal camera bodies but if they used for hand held gimbal use on the drone camera mount then that would be a plus for them.  Obviously if the new system is an excellent one then the temptation might be for DJI to make a conventional camera to mount the lenses on thereby opening up yet another full mount system.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads