Exposure bracketed shots handheld?

Started Oct 26, 2017 | Discussions
sbu Regular Member • Posts: 223
Exposure bracketed shots handheld?

With a wide angle lens and an ibis camera. Has anyone had good results this (for HDR) or will it require a tripod?

Thanks in advance.

Steen

sbu's gear list:sbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
maggiemole Senior Member • Posts: 1,456
Re: Exposure bracketed shots handheld?

sbu wrote:

With a wide angle lens and an ibis camera. Has anyone had good results this (for HDR) or will it require a tripod?

Thanks in advance.

Steen

I've used focus bracketing handheld with the 20mm on a GX80 for later stacking and it worked well. Haven't tried HDR but can't see why it would be different.

Maggie

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 11,165
No tripod

sbu wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Steen

I do it handheld all the time for 3, 5 or 7 shots on every Pany camera I owned.

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,378
No sweat.

sbu wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Steen

I've been shooting handheld exposure brackets for HDR for years. 99% of the time, it works perfectly.

Hiking with a Micro Four Thirds Camera

-- hide signature --

If you think digital is hard, try slide film.
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 +42 more
OP sbu Regular Member • Posts: 223

Thanks for the input. Looking forward to experimenting with this.

sbu's gear list:sbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
hindesite Veteran Member • Posts: 4,365

sbu wrote:

Try it and see. It doesn't take long to do.

If you are going to use the inbuilt "HDR" capability of a camera, you may have problems holding the camera steady enough, and the results may be mediocre or inconsistent.

If you are going to be just bracketing, handheld is pretty easy (for most people, but may depend on your physical abilities), even for a 7 shot bracket; Photomatix can deal with some misalignment of images, removing ghosts etc.

I've been doing this for many years handheld, with cameras from the E-P1 to small Canon point and shoots. This with G7, so doesn't even have IBIS.

-- hide signature --
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 16,022

Yes, depending on how steady your hands are and the slowest shutter speed. Wide angle helps and circa 1/10the should be quite possible with a good success rate. If shutter speed are low it is all the more important to hold the shot position until all (3, 5 or 7) have completed. As ever, practise makes perfect.

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 +3 more
hindesite Veteran Member • Posts: 4,365

windmillgolfer wrote:

Yes, depending on how steady your hands are and the slowest shutter speed.

Shutter speed itself isn't really relevant except that for HDR and the likely subjects, you may run out of shutter speed at the fast end.

The real issue is shot-to-shot stability, rather than stability during any particular exposure.

-- hide signature --
s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 12,971

Good question!!!

Just a few days ago I've updated my ON1 RAW, and for Year 2018 this software includes HDR, so I had a stimulus to try it

Camera: G85,

bracketing 3 shots

the rest of info is readable, and to make things simple I post only 1 resulting shot, which was made from the window, hand held, Also I guess it is good to mention lens - Sigma 2.8/60.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

P.S. I think I should mention it: camera burst is set to "high" just to shorten the overall time of taking 3 shots while having camera hand held.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads