Bridge camera to microscope

Started Oct 25, 2017 | Discussions
Martin15 New Member • Posts: 6
Bridge camera to microscope

i have bought a Panasonic lumix  fz1000 and I am delighted with it. I would like to purchase a stereomicroscope and would like to attach this camera to the microscope to take photographs . I appreciate that a DSLR is the best camera for this but any help with attaching my bridge camera would be most welcome.

Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 17,681
Doesn't look easy

Martin15 wrote:

i have bought a Panasonic lumix fz1000 and I am delighted with it. I would like to purchase a stereomicroscope and would like to attach this camera to the microscope to take photographs . I appreciate that a DSLR is the best camera for this but any help with attaching my bridge camera would be most welcome.

I don't have the FZ1000 so any comments I make are going to be somewhat ignorant.

But it looks like the camera has a long retracting lens tube. This greatly complicates attaching it to a microscope since you really don't want to attach the camera by a moving part. Some cameras like the Canon G12 have an accessory tube that attaches to the camera body and provides a fixed thread that allows one to adapt it to an eyepiece. I don't believe such an accessory can be fit to the FZ1000.

It may be possible to build a frame that attaches to the microscope and holds the camera by its tripod socket. This would be a real Rube Goldberg and would be hard to seal up for light leaks.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
khunpapa
khunpapa Senior Member • Posts: 2,661
Re: Bridge camera to microscope

Martin15 wrote:

i have bought a Panasonic lumix fz1000 and I am delighted with it. I would like to purchase a stereomicroscope and would like to attach this camera to the microscope to take photographs . I appreciate that a DSLR is the best camera for this but any help with attaching my bridge camera would be most welcome.

Apart from public blind faith believe, the best camera for shooting through microscope is not dSLR, but compact. There're lot of documents at Olympus & Nikon microphotography site.

Problem of FZ1000 is its great superzoom ability! Once attach to the eyepiece tube, the gently touch will kick your camera (and lens) somewhere else ..

Well, there're many ($100 - $300) microscope eyepiece camera unit in the market. E-bay has hundreds of them listed.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=microscope+eyepiece+camera&_sop=16

-- hide signature --

Flashes of my Memory.

khunpapa's gear list:khunpapa's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Sigma DP1 +10 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 24,840
Re: Doesn't look easy

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Martin15 wrote:

I don't have the FZ1000 so any comments I make are going to be somewhat ignorant.

But it looks like the camera has a long retracting lens tube. This greatly complicates attaching it to a microscope since you really don't want to attach the camera by a moving part. Some cameras like the Canon G12 have an accessory tube that attaches to the camera body and provides a fixed thread that allows one to adapt it to an eyepiece. I don't believe such an accessory can be fit to the FZ1000.

It may be possible to build a frame that attaches to the microscope and holds the camera by its tripod socket. This would be a real Rube Goldberg and would be hard to seal up for light leaks.

I use a copy stand to hold the camera. The camera then doesn't touch the microscope.

You can make a tube out of black paper to exclude stray light. It doesn't have to be 100% light tight, or anywhere near it.

Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,344
Usually done with SLR & T or C mount adapter...

The usual method for connecting cameras to microscopes is using a (d)SLR with either a T or C mount microscope adapter (you need a microscope that this can be done to). Unfortunately to do this you need a camera where you can remove the lens (which is why an SLR/dSLR or interchangeable lens camera is used, which leaves your bridge camera out).

Suggest you ask the company that sells/makes the microscope you're interested in as this is a very specialized use that very few people on DPReview will know about.  Here is such a setup (pictures posted for educational purpose)...the first image is a C-mount, the second a T-mount...again it depends on your microscope:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads