Canon 6D MKII or 5D MK IV - Decision made.

Started Oct 24, 2017 | Discussions
Battersea Contributing Member • Posts: 880
Re: Canon 6D MKII or 5D MK IV - choice validated

Jeff Peterman wrote:

When I checked the shipping status this morning, I saw a note on the Canon Website saying 15% off select refurbished products today with a code. I called Canon, and they said that the code is good until the 31st, and that I should call once I have my order in my hands (expected tomorrow, the 27th) and they will honor the discount and refund roughly $400 to my account. So, a 5D MKIV for only $400 more than a 6D MKII.

Awesome Canon customer service.

Battersea's gear list:Battersea's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +6 more
Jeff Peterman
OP Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,879

Hopefully it will be - they haven't refunded the money yet!

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
Battersea Contributing Member • Posts: 880

Jeff Peterman wrote:

Hopefully it will be - they haven't refunded the money yet!

Same thing happened with me, Canon will take care of you.

Battersea's gear list:Battersea's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +6 more
Jeff Peterman

OK, now I'm concerned it is "too good to be true." I just checked the refurb listings and almost everything on the site has the text indicating an additional 15% off with the code, except for the 5D MKIV, which just shows the normal listing.

I guess I'll find out when I call tomorrow.

-- hide signature --

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 6,160
Re: Canon 6D MKII or 5D MK IV - Decision made.

I still have some older DSLR but I end up never using them. I do use a Sony RX100 III when I only want to bring something small. the mk IV is the way to go. Enjoy

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
porsche997 Contributing Member • Posts: 839

I received multiple errors in checkout online for the 5D mk IV, then the 15% code stopped working. Called Canon support and it took 20 minutes and the agent had to get their supervisor, but they finally fixed the error. Hopefully everything went through ok.

I too was swayed by this week's 15% off, before I was holding out for Black Friday deals but this was too good to pass on.

porsche997's gear list:porsche997's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +1 more
Jeff Peterman
Bad customer service.

Yesterday morning, the site did not show an exclusion on the discount for the 5D IV, and the rep I spoke to confirmed it would apply and that I should call once I received the camera.

The item I ordered said that the camera would come with a "Miniature EOS 5D Mark IV 24-70 Kit" - which is a pretty worthless tiny plastic model of the camera - and a 32 GB SD card.

Today, now I have the camera, the two reps I spoke to say that the discount does not apply to my 5D and I cannot get 15% back. I also found that the SD card was not included and the rep said that they ran out and it was "while supplies last."

So, I'm not happy with Canon.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Alben Regular Member • Posts: 378
Re: Bad customer service.

You have every right to feel hard done by, send a strongly worded complaint to Canon, I hope you get a good result.

Alan.

Sharik0192 Regular Member • Posts: 234

Sharik0192's gear list:Sharik0192's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +13 more
Sharik0192 Regular Member • Posts: 234

Jeff Peterman wrote:

Yesterday morning, the site did not show an exclusion on the discount for the 5D IV, and the rep I spoke to confirmed it would apply and that I should call once I received the camera.

The item I ordered said that the camera would come with a "Miniature EOS 5D Mark IV 24-70 Kit" - which is a pretty worthless tiny plastic model of the camera - and a 32 GB SD card.

Today, now I have the camera, the two reps I spoke to say that the discount does not apply to my 5D and I cannot get 15% back. I also found that the SD card was not included and the rep said that they ran out and it was "while supplies last."

So, I'm not happy with Canon.

Sorry to hear about the problems. I suggest to write them a letter that explains your position and requests that they acknowledge the initially advertised deal. The letter should be constructive and polite, but firm, and most importantly well documented (with screenshots etc. as necessary). Good luck with defending your case

Sharik0192's gear list:Sharik0192's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +13 more
Jeff Peterman

I did all of that, and the conclusion (after speaking to a supervisor) is that they are sorry for the problems I experienced and the best that they can do is give me a 5% discount, and free shipping, on my next order. Although, having just spent nearly $3000 with them it will be a long time before I place another order large enough for that 5% to add up to very much.

They did acknowledge that there was an error in there system, which they fixed yesterday morning, and as a result a few people did get the big discount on the 5D MKIV.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

pekr
pekr Contributing Member • Posts: 655

Wasn't it 2400$? In other thread ppl state, that there was a discount code to apply, to get 400$ back, or something like that. Some ppl even claimed to get the discount after the sale actually happened.

Maybe you could investigate and claim your 400$ back? There is also a possibility, I misunderstood the case, but anyway, worth checking imo ...

pekr's gear list:pekr's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Mike CH Veteran Member • Posts: 9,631
Santa came early... ;)

Jeff Peterman wrote:

When I checked the shipping status this morning, I saw a note on the Canon Website saying 15% off select refurbished products today with a code. I called Canon, and they said that the code is good until the 31st, and that I should call once I have my order in my hands (expected tomorrow, the 27th) and they will honor the discount and refund roughly $400 to my account. So, a 5D MKIV for only $400 more than a 6D MKII.

So there is a Santa! Even though he is a bit early this year... 

In your shoes, I’d sell the 6D. It’s kind of superfluous in your collection - all it can do, the 5D4 can do much better, and is the one you can probably still get some money for.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...
I hardly ever speak for anybody but myself. In the cases where I do mean to speak generally the statements are likely to be marked as such.

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +14 more
Then you do have a case

Jeff Peterman wrote:

They did acknowledge that there was an error in there system, which they fixed yesterday morning, and as a result a few people did get the big discount on the 5D MKIV.

Then you do have a case. You are not responsible for non-obvious errors in their pricing system, they are, and the offer they made is valid, particularly when the discount offered does not appear to be obviously wrong, and they confirmed it in the first round.

Question is - can you make it stick, and is it worth the bother? How much of a fuss do you want to make, and what evidence do you have...

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...
I hardly ever speak for anybody but myself. In the cases where I do mean to speak generally the statements are likely to be marked as such.

Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +14 more
Jeff Peterman

The 5D MKIV was one of the few items not covered by the sale. The sale started on Thursday and ends next Tuesday - special for Halloween. I've spoken to several people at Canon and it appears that there was an error where their site accepted the discount code on the MKIV for part of Tuesday, and they honored the orders that went through before they fixed the site.

I have received an apology and 5% off any future refurb purchase.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman
Re: Santa came early... ;)

Yes, I have to decide which one to sell - the 6D is worth the most, but it is also the most useful as a second body if shooting in low light.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman
Re: Then you do have a case

Well, actually I don't have a case because I ordered before the sale started and had hoped to get that sale price anyway. IF I had placed a second order when I spoke to someone on Thursday and sent the first back when it arrived, then I would have a case, but they were under no obligation to give me a discount after purchase even if the discount had not been an error.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman wrote:

Well, actually I don't have a case because I ordered before the sale started and had hoped to get that sale price anyway. IF I had placed a second order when I spoke to someone on Thursday and sent the first back when it arrived, then I would have a case, but they were under no obligation to give me a discount after purchase even if the discount had not been an error.

A competent agent confirmed to you that it would apply, even if it was retroactively. A discount that a reasonable person could not be expected to recognize as an error.

But you have very little chance of making it stick.

It’s a bummer, alright - you should be able to rely on them.

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...

Jeff Peterman

It was upsetting, but I mustn't lose track of the fact that I happily ordered it without the 15%.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

stevedavidsonphotography Senior Member • Posts: 1,372

Canon has the best discounts near the end of Nov and right after that.  Keep looking too because they go in and out of stock.

stevedavidsonphotography's gear list:stevedavidsonphotography's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads