Canon 6D MKII or 5D MK IV - Decision made.

Started Oct 24, 2017 | Discussions
Jeff Peterman
Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,878
Canon 6D MKII or 5D MK IV - Decision made.

After a lot of thought and discussions here (thanks every one), with today being a significant birthday and having received confirmation that the bonus I was waiting for is on its way, I went ahead and ordered a refurbished 5D MK IV from Canon this morning.

There is "only" a $700 difference between the two - and I know that I'd be disappointed with the focus point spread and lack of high ISO improvements on the new 6D compared to my MK1 (which is was also bought refurbished). So, it was either buy the 5D or wait a year and see what comes out - making the decision easy.

I made a deal with my wife that I would sell one of my old bodies: 10D, 40D, 7D (original), SL1, and 6D (original). I will certainly keep the SL1 for travel, I use the 40D for time lapse with an AC cord and remote, so that leaves the 10D (not worth much at all), 7D, or 6D. But that's to think about after my new toy, I meant tool, arrives!

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 (EOS 100D)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
irm Senior Member • Posts: 2,999
Re: Canon 6D MKII or 5D MK IV - Decision made.

I kept my 10D and 40D because they are not worth much on the second hand market.

-- hide signature --

my 2 exposed flashcubes worth.
Ian the pbase supporter.
http://pbase.com/ianm_au
Please check my profile for equipment list.
An amateur with dreams of being a good to excellent photographer.

irm's gear list:irm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +13 more
HarryLally Senior Member • Posts: 2,656

Congratulations. Enjoy it. I'm in a similar situation to the one you were in, prevaricating over the 5DIV v 6DII. I can afford the 5DIV but am having trouble justifying buying it as I don't really do all that much photography these days. Just really on my travels. In fact, I've been quite happy with the 6D and don't really need to replace it. Ah, decisions, decisions. Good luck with your new toy/tool.

KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,067

Jeff Peterman wrote:

After a lot of thought and discussions here (thanks every one), with today being a significant birthday and having received confirmation that the bonus I was waiting for is on its way, I went ahead and ordered a refurbished 5D MK IV from Canon this morning.

There is "only" a $700 difference between the two - and I know that I'd be disappointed with the focus point spread and lack of high ISO improvements on the new 6D compared to my MK1 (which is was also bought refurbished). So, it was either buy the 5D or wait a year and see what comes out - making the decision easy.

I made a deal with my wife that I would sell one of my old bodies: 10D, 40D, 7D (original), SL1, and 6D (original). I will certainly keep the SL1 for travel, I use the 40D for time lapse with an AC cord and remote, so that leaves the 10D (not worth much at all), 7D, or 6D. But that's to think about after my new toy, I meant tool, arrives!

A real upgrade from 6D MkI ! If the price difference was "only" 700 the new and clearly better 5DIV  is worth it.

The only nice thing from 6DMkII  that 5DMkIV does not have is the more usable tilting LCD/liveview shooting

I'm still using my 6D and 80D - the upgrade to 5D MkIV could be too much  or unnecessary for my skill level and needs,

Anyway, you made the right decision IMO. A good camera is better than "nice" - 6DMkII is just a nice camera

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fuji X-T1 and the new 80D are my favourites - also 6D for landscapes and portraits

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +14 more
Alben Regular Member • Posts: 356

Enjoy the Mk 4, I do, you will love it.

Alan

Austin7642 Regular Member • Posts: 232

Jeff Peterman wrote:

I made a deal with my wife that I would sell one of my old bodies: 10D, 40D, 7D (original), SL1, and 6D (original). I will certainly keep the SL1 for travel, I use the 40D for time lapse with an AC cord and remote, so that leaves the 10D (not worth much at all), 7D, or 6D. But that's to think about after my new toy, I meant tool, arrives!

How is there only a $700 difference? 6D ii used is about $1600 on the low end and $2000 new. The 5d iv is around $2,900 used to $3,700 new. That's somewhere between $1,300 t0 $1,700 of a difference, and enough to buy a few good L lenses, or one of Canon's best L lenses period.

Austin7642's gear list:Austin7642's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +9 more
Jeff Peterman
OP Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,878

I'm buying refurbished from Canon, not used, so that I get the full 1 year factory warranty. They don't have the 6D MKII, so it would have to be new - at $2000. The refurbished 5D MKIV is $2799 - so OK, $800, not $700. But I get a free "Miniature EOS 5D Mark IV 24-70 Kit and the SDHC CARD 32GB" too!

-- hide signature --

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
Battersea Contributing Member • Posts: 855

Jeff Peterman wrote:

I'm buying refurbished from Canon, not used, so that I get the full 1 year factory warranty. They don't have the 6D MKII, so it would have to be new - at $2000. The refurbished 5D MKIV is $2799 - so OK, $800, not $700. But I get a free "Miniature EOS 5D Mark IV 24-70 Kit and the SDHC CARD 32GB" too!

What is "Miniature EOS 5D Mark IV 24-70 Kit? Enjoy the new camera!

Battersea's gear list:Battersea's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +6 more
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 18,405

You will love it. My first pano with it or any camera. 6 frames hand held.

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more
Jeff Peterman

What is "Miniature EOS 5D Mark IV 24-70 Kit?

No idea.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Battersea Contributing Member • Posts: 855

Zeee wrote:

Does the camera do the stitching? Nice photo!

Battersea's gear list:Battersea's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +6 more

Battersea wrote:

Zeee wrote:

No that was photo shop and I have no idea what I'm doing. I had to crop a little for corners that it could not fit.

Here is a single frame.

This was with my 100-400 II and 1.4 III

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +5 more
Noogy
Noogy Senior Member • Posts: 2,462

Jeff Peterman wrote:

Congratulations! Very good choice!

The 5DMIV has helped made me a better photographer simply because I do not have to focus and recompose anymore, as I had been habitually doing with the 6D. Now I can be very creative yet confident I can nail the focus, among other things.

Keep your wide lenses, they will be very useful when you do 4k video due to the cropping

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +11 more
Jeff Peterman

My 24-105 STM lens should be great for video - and I guess I could try the 17-40 to compensate for the crop.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

jadphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 815

Zeee wrote:

Battersea wrote:

Zeee wrote:

No that was photo shop and I have no idea what I'm doing. I had to crop a little for corners that it could not fit.

Here is a single frame.

Looks as though you might have used a polarizer when you shot your pano images.  Better off without.

The dark sky in the middle of image is the tip off.

JD

jadphoto's gear list:jadphoto's gear list
Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +1 more

jadphoto wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Battersea wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Here is a single frame.

Looks as though you might have used a polarizer when you shot your pano images. Better off without.

The dark sky in the middle of image is the tip off.

JD

Yes I noticed that as well. I thought it was due to not setting up a manual exposure, which you should but I never thought of the polarizer. Thanks for the tip! Will do next time.

Jeff Peterman

Except that the reflection on the lake is also darker, and the polarizer settings for the sky should not have darkened the refelection.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman

Hmm, so I was wrong - but again, why was the reflection darkened?

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman wrote:

Hmm, so I was wrong - but again, why was the reflection darkened?

I don't know. I first suspected that I shot with aperture priority and I should set it up in manual so the exposures where equal.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman
Re: Canon 6D MKII or 5D MK IV - choice validated

When I checked the shipping status this morning, I saw a note on the Canon Website saying 15% off select refurbished products today with a code. I called Canon, and they said that the code is good until the 31st, and that I should call once I have my order in my hands (expected tomorrow, the 27th) and they will honor the discount and refund roughly $400 to my account. So, a 5D MKIV for only $400 more than a 6D MKII.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads